Crucial introduces 128GB LRDIMMs

titan384

Article by ExtremeTech.

Mega Memory: Crucial Introduces Massive 128GB LRDIMMs

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/259925-mega-memory-crucial-introduces-new-128gb-lrdimms

Traditional registered DIMMs connect to the parallel memory bus that attaches to the DRAM controller aboard Intel and AMD processors. LRDIMMs (Load Reduced DIMMs), in contrast, have a memory buffer chip that serves as the connection point for the CPU’s onboard memory controller.

Dell notes that LRDIMMs greatly reduce the electrical load placed on the CPU per-DIMM slot, and therefore allow much larger memory configurations.

If this is the case I think mobile devices such as laptops and 2in1 computers shpuld be moving soon towards this. This would be a huge bump in performance as majority of the thin and light laptops max out at 8 or 16gb of memory

prices on these DIMMs — currently an eye-watering $3,999 each on Crucial’s site — speaks to the economics of deploying the manufacturing technique.

These sticks do cost a fortune but as time passes and the world wide shortage of sillicon passes away this could be trickled down to actually being used in consumer devices.

We don’t expect to see consumer memory loads in such eye-popping configurations any time soon, but it’s interesting to see the technology rolling out in servers.

i do agree to that. lets wait for 5 more years and see where technology takes us.

I'm sorry. I will go read the guidelines right away.

need your opinion. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Can't wait for the Corsair Vengeance counterparts. With RGB maybe (\/) (;,,;) (\/) ?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Dell notes that LRDIMMs greatly reduce the electrical load placed on the CPU per-DIMM slot, and therefore allow much larger memory configurations. LRDIMMs can also allow for substantially higher operating frequencies, though this depends on the server CPU and platform.

Since LR = load reduced = onboard memory controller = faster memory in servers.

29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Can't wait for the Corsair Vengeance counterparts. With RGB maybe (\/) (;,,;) (\/) ?

nothing is acceptable without RGB in 2017. 

Max RGB FTW!

1 hour ago, titan384 said:

Article by ExtremeTech.

If this is the case I think mobile devices such as laptops and 2in1 computers shpuld be moving soon towards this. This would be a huge bump in performance as majority of the thin and light laptops max out at 8 or 16gb of memory

These sticks do cost a fortune but as time passes and the world wide shortage of sillicon passes away this could be trickled down to actually being used in consumer devices.

i do agree to that. lets wait for 5 more years and see where technology takes us.

You don't get  lower power consumption with this. You still have the same number of chips and you also have a potentially power hungry "buffer chip" on the memory stick as well.

The 128 GB stick uses 16 memory chips and each of those is 8 GB in size, but each chip is practically done using 4 2GB dies stacked one on top of the other, so each of these 8 GB chips produces as much as 4 classical chips. 

If your regular 8GB memory stick with 8 memory chips uses let's say 3w, then this one would use maybe 15-20 watts just for the memory chips, plus maybe 1-2 watts for the buffer chip... so if your laptop averages 40-60w power consumption, would you really want to add extra 15-20w in memory, to cut your battery power in half ?

At least add some heatsinks. Asus dual socket ws uses them, and green pcb ruins the color scheme. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

No need, they're server sticks. 1U and 2U servers would have a row of high power fans blowing air from the front of the server to the back, and they may even have a "tunnel" to direct air flow through / over the memory slots and cool them through forced air cooling.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

You don't get  lower power consumption with this. You still have the same number of chips and you also have a potentially power hungry "buffer chip" on the memory stick as well.

The 128 GB stick uses 16 memory chips and each of those is 8 GB in size, but each chip is practically done using 4 2GB dies stacked one on top of the other, so each of these 8 GB chips produces as much as 4 classical chips. 

If your regular 8GB memory stick with 8 memory chips uses let's say 3w, then this one would use maybe 15-20 watts just for the memory chips, plus maybe 1-2 watts for the buffer chip... so if your laptop averages 40-60w power consumption, would you really want to add extra 15-20w in memory, to cut your battery power in half ?

i understand what you are saying. and i do agree with your point in current scenario. but 5 years down the road i think there would be a way to minimize power consumption and there will be better battery technology to support this kind of stuff.

when i got my first laptop in 2005/2006 it was a compaq presario v5201tu. it came with 256mb ram, celeron m 410 1.46ghz single core cpu and 40gb hdd. the battery lasted nothing more than 45mins to 1hr. 

the second laptop in 2012 i got was sony vaio svs15125cn with 2.5ghz i5-32xx with hyperthreading, 8gb ram and faster hdd and a dGPU.  its battery lasted around 3 hrs. 

with advancing technology we have been able to get better performance with improved energy efficiency. so according to me hoping this technology to trickle down to mobile technology is not something which is unachieveable.

Yay :). Now we need 256GB and 512GB options with a 1TB option by 2020 :D.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Quite alot of memory on one stick. I'm sure it will help RAM prices. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

it's amazing how far memory has come in the last few years.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1