AM4 to support 2nd gen Ryzen

NumLock21

AMD, in an interview with Overclockers UK (OCUK), confirmed that its second-generation Ryzen desktop processors will support the existing AM4 socket, so current Ryzen platform users can seamlessly upgrade to the new processors, with a BIOS update.

During a recent interview, it's has been confirmed socket AM4 will continue to support 2nd gen Ryzen (Pinnacle Ridge) cpus as well as support for desktop apus code name Summit Ridge. It's said 2nd gen Ryzen might get a die shrink to 12nm, enabling higher clock speeds. The boards will need a bios update and at least AGESA version 1.0.0.7. AMD will continue to use socket AM4 all the way up to the year 2020. While AMD will continue to use socket AM4 for the next few years, this does not apply to their chipsets. AMD might release a newer chipset along with 2nd gen Ryzen, where it will have more pcie lanes running at gen3 compared to current x370 running at gen 2.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155853543333349&id=84001713348&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techpowerup.com%2F239343%2Famd-second-generation-ryzen-pinnacle-ridge-confirmed-to-support-am4&_rdr

https://www.techpowerup.com/239343/amd-second-generation-ryzen-pinnacle-ridge-confirmed-to-support-am4

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I figured it was pretty obvious and somewhat confirmed with initial Ryzen launch? It would make no sense any other way imo. I know, Intel Intel Intel. They are not Intel. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

yes? we have had word from AMD for ages now that they will support AM4 untill 2020

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes? we have had word from AMD for ages now that they will support AM4 untill 2020

well support for AM4 does not confirm that x370 will support zen+ or Zen2.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

During a recent interview, it's has been confirmed socket AM4 will continue to support 2nd gen Ryzen (Pinnacle Ridge) cpus as well as support for desktop apus code name Summit Ridge. It's said 2nd gen Ryzen might get a die shrink to 12nm, enabling higher clock speeds. The boards will need a bios update and at least AGESA version 1.0.0.7. AMD will continue to use socket AM4 all the way up to the year 2020. While AMD will continue to use socket AM4 for the next few years, this does not apply to their chipsets. AMD might release a newer chipset along with 2nd gen Ryzen, where it will have more pcie lanes running at gen3 compared to current x370 running at gen 2.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155853543333349&id=84001713348&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techpowerup.com%2F239343%2Famd-second-generation-ryzen-pinnacle-ridge-confirmed-to-support-am4&_rdr

https://www.techpowerup.com/239343/amd-second-generation-ryzen-pinnacle-ridge-confirmed-to-support-am4

APUs are Raven Ridge, and as far as I am aware of, they are based on Zen+

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Also, probably AM4 will last until 2021 because AMD specified 2020 and beyond. And I thought X370 made use of PCIe Gen 3... you learn every day.

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Also, on Zen+ Id love to see 4.4-4.6GHz frequencies a 10-15% increase on IPC (to be on par with Covfefe Lake) and an APU that has 16CU`s for the Desktop, alongside with 4 Cores and 8 Threads, am I asking for too much? Or just a decent Home Theater APU.

3 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Also, probably AM4 will last until 2021 because AMD specified 2020 and beyond. And I thought X370 made use of PCIe Gen 3... you learn every day.

the connection the the CPU is PCIe 3 x4 but it feeds out PCIe 2 x4 and x1 connections

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Also, on Zen+ Id love to see 4.4-4.6GHz frequencies a 10-15% increase on IPC (to be on par with Covfefe Lake) and an APU that has 16CU`s for the Desktop, alongside with 4 Cores and 8 Threads, am I asking for too much? Or just a decent Home Theater APU.

10%-15% IPC gain would be faster then intels IPC ryzen is only 7-10% behind IPC wise

6 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Do they mean Zen+? I thought AMD confirmed that Ryzen refresh will use the glorified 14nm process and Zen 2 will use 7 nm.

Zen (2017, 14nm, new Architecture, a Tick and a Tock)(Rival to 7th Gen)

Zen+ (2018, 12nm Refresh, a Tock) (Rival to 8th Gen)

Zen 2 (2019, a completely new architecture and process, both a tick and a tock, based on 7nm) (Rival to 9th Gen)

Zen 2+ (2020, an Optimization, kind of how Kaby Lake was to Skyalke, based on 7nm+) (Rival to 10th Gen)

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

10%-15% IPC gain would be faster then intels IPC ryzen is only 7-10% behind IPC wise

Its on par with Kaby Lake but its around 10% behind to Covfefe Lake

3 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

what?

Skylake, Kaby, Coffee has the same IPC. (besides a few instructions)

at 4 Ghz all 3 have the same benchmark scores (single thread)

Just now, DanielMDA said:

Last time I heard, Covfefe Lake had the same IPC as Kaby Lake, just higher turbo clocks/overclocking potential.

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Last time I heard, Covfefe Lake had the same IPC as Kaby Lake, just higher turbo clocks/overclocking potential.

Nope. 10% IPC increase too. Reason why the i3 8100/8350K equal the i5 7600/7600K/7640X with lower clocks.

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

what kind of BS is this? coffelake, skylake and kabylake have the same IPC, and they were barely a gain over 4th gen to begin with...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

what kind of BS is this? coffelake, skylake and kabylake have the same IPC, and they were barely a gain over 4th gen to begin with...

It`s not BS, really, look it up

Nice I can change out my cpu in the future, hopefully it not like FX and just releasing crap CPUS after the fact.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

It`s not BS, really, look it up

Yah, looked it up and not a single source shows that. You have a source for your claim?

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Yah, looked it up and not a single source shows that. You have a source for your claim?

Gamer Meld, a guy that makes Tech Videos, about +20K subscribers, unless he was lying. About 2-3 months ago.

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

So it looks like they mean Zen+, not Zen 2.

Exactly

5 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Gamer Meld, a guy that makes Tech Videos, about +20K subscribers, unless he was lying. About 2-3 months ago.

I posted 3 sources that show no difference. one you tuber I know, Jayz2cents, miss uses IPC all the time. he says IPC but what he mean is single thread performance. the gains of sky to kaby, and kaby to coffee is clock speed improvements and core count.

also coffee has some new instruction sets so it is quicker at those.