Got an iPhone on iOS 11.1.2? It may crash on December 2

iamdarkyoshi
1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Comment from the article:

Australia, the ultimate beta testing country.

Yep, jonno,  jacko, and davo were responsible for 11.1.2 testing, but they got shit faced and left the phone strapped to kangaroo for the weekend.   Someone asked them for their feedback, jonno belched out some incoherent pig latin for "we'fe run outta piss"  while jacko and davo just spewed up behind the ute.  

Sorry guys, you get what you get sometimes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, VegetableStu said:

they do. Whatsapp on Android asks for a google cloud backup. Whatsapp on iOS asks for an iCloud backup

SO UNNECESSARILY ANGRY 

oh I get it, so they're synced but it's locked into one OS or the other xD

Well that's interesting, remind me to never use whatsapp.  That's just pathetic and stupid, and frankly makes me question how their service even operates.

The other things I mentioned would not have that problem

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

they do. Whatsapp on Android asks for a google cloud backup. Whatsapp on iOS asks for an iCloud backup

SO UNNECESSARILY ANGRY 

But it requires me to use WhatsApp which is a third party app. Why can’t Google just enable backing up text messages on the OS itself rather than using a third party app. Tbh I haven’t used WhatsApp, I’m more of a Hangouts/iMessage kind of guy. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow they have been having a rough couple of months lately with little issues like this

I don't feel sorry for them if Apple doesn't know how to beta test their software effectively. I feel sorry for the customers that have to put up with their forever crashing phones.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Im on iPhone SE and after reading the patch notes I was like “fuck this update, its all about iPhone X. Waste of time in my case,ill pass”

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Time based notification as in alarm or timer? I set timer for today and it’s already 5pm december 2 where i am but i’m not getting any kind of problems

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

But it requires me to use WhatsApp which is a third party app. Why can’t Google just enable backing up text messages on the OS itself rather than using a third party app. Tbh I haven’t used WhatsApp, I’m more of a Hangouts/iMessage kind of guy. 

To be fair, as Android is less build as a close garden, you can find ways to back up those to drive or Dropbox automatically with 3rd party apps anyway.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Does Android now backup text messages to the Google Drive just like the iPhone with iCloud to make it easier switching from one Android phone to another? 

But to answer the question (well, not really but...) I don't know

no.

all those kinds of apps would handle their syncing internally and definitely would sync across devices.

WhatsApp uses GDrive for backup on android and iCloud on iOS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Of all the things that get synced to the cloud, it would never have occurred to me that people would want text messages to be part of that group.  I can't honestly see a reason for it.  But to answer the question (well, not really but...) I don't know.  I would imagine that google being google they offer a way to sync anything and everything you can and want to but I have not tested it myself and haven't ever read about it.

I don't care about most of my texts, but I do want my texts with my girlfriend to be saved. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That awkward moment when I still haven't ran into a single iOS 11 bug :S 

Edit: actually I take that back, there was one, I did run into the cold screen issue once.

It seems like an odd choice to use a company that had phones literally catching on fire and burning users as your dream for a phone company.

this generation couldnt handle the power of the note 7 lol

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Tell me about it. iOS 11 is the shittiest iOS release ever and I can’t fathom as to why Linus would even say iOS 11 is awesome. Now Apple has become that company that I used to know. 

I suppose Linus hasn't used it enough to be hit by this sort of thing. He can only report on its normal usability unless there are some glaring bugs during his review testing period. He does occasionally comment on things like this on the wan show though.

@LinusTech speaking of which, did any of your units experience this (or other) bugs after the review?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

54 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Anybody that's not too young to remember the Y2K bug?

No need to go that far, there was something like this a couple of years ago where if you set the date to unix EPOCH  on an iPhone it would brick itself - and it wasn't because of legacy hardware :P 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Correct prediction = science done right, at least they were proactive, not reactive.

26 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I suppose Linus hasn't used it enough to be hit by this sort of thing. He can only report on its normal usability unless there are some glaring bugs during his review testing period. He does occasionally comment on things like this on the wan show though.

@LinusTech speaking of which, did any of your units experience this (or other) bugs after the review?

Not everyone has had issues with iOS 11, so it's entirely possible he just didn't. I personally have only ran into the screen not working for an instant when it was freezing out and it only happened once and I've been running iOS 11 since September 19th.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

27 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not everyone has had issues with iOS 11, so it's entirely possible he just didn't.

Either those people won the silicon lottery or they just don’t care 

9F6EDC32-4C6C-430F-B16B-0CB9AA3615FC.gif.d437333293190a2bd408621896cfe272.gif

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Lol all you guys hating/complaining about iOS 11.

My SE has been updated as soon as one was available and I’ve never had any severe bugs whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Vacras said:

Lol all you guys hating/complaining about iOS 11.

My SE has been updated as soon as one was available and I’ve never had any severe bugs whatsoever.

>Never had severe bugs

Are you implying that you've had bugs but none of them are "severe"? Additionally, what is a severe bug to you?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

>Never had severe bugs

Are you implying that you've had bugs but none of them are "severe"? Additionally, what is a severe bug to you?

Correct. 

A severe bug to me is one that hinders me in me usual user experience.

Me needing to restart my phone would be a severe bug to me for example.

I’ve had the occasional app crashing (which probably isn’t due to iOS 11 anyways) and some type of weird behavior like some function seemingly being unresponsive for a second. 

Nothing that a quick lock and re-unlock couldn’t fix. 

I can’t complain about iOS 11 at all and I’ve been using it since day one on a daily basis.

The good news is that iOS 11.2 update is already available for my iPhone 6s (I was apparently on 11.1.2 already), so I just went ahead and updated to 11.2 just now.

9 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Tell me about it. iOS 11 is the shittiest iOS release ever and I can’t fathom as to why Linus would even say iOS 11 is awesome. Now Apple has become that company that I used to know. 

The features of iOS 11 are pretty fucking awesome, in some cases. The design changes are nice, but obviously that's up to user preference.

The bugs though - that's what brings iOS 11 down. iOS 10 was pretty damn smooth and bug free for me.

Once iOS 11 works out all the bugs (or if...), it will be back to awesome.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Whatever happened to "it just works"?

Now known as "Just make the launch deadline"

iOS 11 has made me wish that there was a competitive phone OS that wasn't made by google. Maybe with these bugs it'll force Apple to realize their yearly update crunch is compromising their softwares vaunted usability and security....

....but I highly doubt it. Apple and a significant majority of their consumer base is stubborn. They'd likely view skipping a year of major updates to collectively get their shit together as the sky falling.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Now known as "Just make the launch deadline"

iOS 11 has made me wish that there was a competitive phone OS that wasn't made by google. Maybe with these bugs it'll force Apple to realize their yearly update crunch is compromising their softwares vaunted usability and security....

....but I highly doubt it. Apple and a significant majority of their consumer base is stubborn. They'd likely view skipping a year of major updates to collectively get their shit together as the sky falling.

The problem with any third OS alternative is getting App Support.

Windows Mobile tried to gain traction multiple times, and at their height, they had a fairly feature comparable product, that was fast, smooth, and very stable. They had some of the "must have" apps, but the main ones they couldn't get were Google apps.

And this was through no fault of their own. Google simply refused to make first party apps for Windows Mobile. Then they started dicking Microsoft around when they tried to make third party apps for at least some things, like YouTube.

Microsoft tried to throw money at devs, but ultimately, not enough devs got on board, because not enough people got on board, because not enough devs got on board, because... well you see where this is heading.

Any new Smartphone OS will inevitably have the same problem. Either the OS needs to be so much better in every single way that Devs will simply flock to it, or they will need to throw insane amounts of money at devs to bring them in.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem with any third OS alternative is getting App Support.

Windows Mobile tried to gain traction multiple times, and at their height, they had a fairly feature comparable product, that was fast, smooth, and very stable. They had some of the "must have" apps, but the main ones they couldn't get were Google apps.

And this was through no fault of their own. Google simply refused to make first party apps for Windows Mobile. Then they started dicking Microsoft around when they tried to make third party apps for at least some things, like YouTube.

Microsoft tried to throw money at devs, but ultimately, not enough devs got on board, because not enough people got on board, because not enough devs got on board, because... well you see where this is heading.

Any new Smartphone OS will inevitably have the same problem. Either the OS needs to be so much better in every single way that Devs will simply flock to it, or they will need to throw insane amounts of money at devs to bring them in.

Doesn't stop me from wishing.

I'd consider a google phone before a microsoft phone anyway, even if they were equally competitive. While apple has tripped over their feet in the past, Microsoft has been a train wreck in progress. They still have enough market momentum to arrive at their destination, albeit in a crumpled mess.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Either those people won the silicon lottery or they just don’t care 

9F6EDC32-4C6C-430F-B16B-0CB9AA3615FC.gif.d437333293190a2bd408621896cfe272.gif

Don't make me send you to Putin.

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The features of iOS 11 are pretty fucking awesome, in some cases. The design changes are nice, but obviously that's up to user preference.

The bugs though - that's what brings iOS 11 down. iOS 10 was pretty damn smooth and bug free for me.

Once iOS 11 works out all the bugs (or if...), it will be back to awesome.

I haven't ran into any bugs, so I quite like iOS 11. My only complaint is that control center is in the top right corner on the X. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler