How do you keep your room cool when you have a PC that runs hot?

DSprite

My 8700K is only at 64 degrees Celsius under load and my 1080ti only goes up to 70 degrees max (that ive seen). I have six case fans in my NZXT H440 all installed correctly. I live in Australia and it's around 30-40 degrees Celsius right now, so opening the window won't work. I like to have my door closed to avoid hearing noises when playing, but the air conditioning doesn't flow properly unless the door is open, and I live with my parents who say that a small fan draws too much power and costs too much".

How do you cool down your room?

I will show my reply for $5

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

I have a window A/C unit right behind my PC that is running at 64F or 17C all the time im in there, so it keeps me cool and my pc extra cool :)

2 minutes ago, DSprite said:

My 8700K is only at 64 degrees Celsius under load and my 1080ti only goes up to 70 degrees max (that ive seen). I have six case fans in my NZXT H440 all installed correctly. I live in Australia and it's around 30-40 degrees Celsius right now, so opening the window won't work. I like to have my door closed to avoid hearing noises when playing, but the air conditioning doesn't flow properly unless the door is open, and I live with my parents who say that a small fan draws too much power and costs too much".

your pc is probably pulling some 500w on its own, there is no way arounf that fact, get the fan or open the door, fon only helps with perception of heat though)

How do I do it? Not live in a country that gets hot.. Like Australia.

But maybe this mod interests you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM2G5vLGcQQ

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't even have time to play games anymore. Solves the problem but now my room is fucking cold here in Germany (16°C without a heater and I hate to turn it on because I want to save money:P ).

Guess we could switch countries (I may actually do that in the future ;) )

A fan shouldn't make much difference to your electricity bill, I mean, in comparison to what your pc pulls its nothing. If your Air con doesn't work with the door shut then leave it open. Just maybe re-arrange your desk so that you can see the door, if that's what freaks you out? (I'm the same). This aside however, your pc isnt actually running that hot so im sure it'll be fine.

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

Where I live its always hot inside (room gets to 85 F degrees max) and outside (up to 110 F in summer) so I don't really have a good solution other than to take a break for a couple minutes, cool down, then come back. Or you could just use your computer while wearing nothing ;)  (kidding unless that's your thing)

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Skip cooling your room and go directly to what matters: cooling you! 

Stick your feet in a bucket with cold water, sprinkle some crushed ice in there...

or just keep the PC on a bucket of ice.. win/win

18 minutes ago, DSprite said:

Have you ever heard of Air conditionner ? :P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, cj09beira said:

thats not how physics work, that would make 0 difference to the temperature of the room

I know, it's a meme. Like how people say "use watercooling to cool down your room".

But realistically, he could use a system like the in the video I linked to get the heat out of his room.. (kind of like an airco, push the hot air to outside his room)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Open a door, run a fan, circulate air. A fan is really your best bet; its not a space heater, so your parents have no reason to be concerned with power consumption. If your room is having air flow problems, here is a couple of things to try: 

- Place the fan near the air vent to help in creating a draft

- if your room has a hot/cold air return vent, open the hot air one (the upper one) and close the cold air(lower one)

( refer to this link for information on those: http://www.hydesac.com/supply-return-vents-whats-difference-exactly/ )

There's not a lot you can do, because you've already limited the options(keeping the door closed, can't use a fan). 

Any room in which you block from the natural drafts in your house is going to suffer from higher temperature deltas, and with a heat generating pc in a room with no air flow, things are getting toasty. Unless you create drafts some other way, your room is going to be hot. Maybe invest in some noise canceling headphones if ambient noises distract you. 

I am whatever I am. 

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats not how physics work, that would make 0 difference to the temperature of the room

If his room was the entire universe, I would agree with you, but because such a ridiculous amount of air current would undoubtedly affect the air circulation in the room, and between rooms, you're making a University Physics 2 oversimplification of heat current.  Not only would the perceived temperature (and likely real temperature) of the room be less due to air flowing through the house, the computer parts would also put out marginally (very marginally) less total heat due to decreased resistance of colder electrical pathways, and decreased waste heat as a result.  Colder parts take slightly less wattage to run, all else being equal.

46 minutes ago, DSprite said:

Well I work at Burger King, and in the summer the kitchen gets hot. So I just learned to sit at my computer and bake in the heat. I have a Windows Air Conditioner, but I live with my parents and dont use it all the time out of respect for them paying the power bill. Most times in the summer my room is 90 Degrees Fahrenheit or 32 degrees C  for those not in the US.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Fan?

AC?

I mean for real what do you expect to hear with this kind of question? Besides who the hell has an i7 8700k and 1080 Ti and says something like:

I live with my parents who say that a small fan draws too much power and costs too much".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

A possible solution would be to run sealed ducting from the exhaust, to your window as it will take the heat from the computer and pump it outside instead back into your room. In the end it'll help with keeping your room cooler which will in turn keep your computer cooler due to cooler intake temperature.

It's a cheap easy option however that is just my two cents.

5 hours ago, raleighc said:

If his room was the entire universe, I would agree with you, but because such a ridiculous amount of air current would undoubtedly affect the air circulation in the room, and between rooms, you're making a University Physics 2 oversimplification of heat current.  Not only would the perceived temperature (and likely real temperature) of the room be less due to air flowing through the house, the computer parts would also put out marginally (very marginally) less total heat due to decreased resistance of colder electrical pathways, and decreased waste heat as a result.  Colder parts take slightly less wattage to run, all else being equal.

you forgot a very important info, he games with his door closed :P 

I open a window, works great when it's < 0°C outside xD

But for you, there is only one option: air conditioning.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

thats how i most most of my hwbot records :P 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder if there have been any serious attempts at ducting a desktop PC's heat to the outside.  Though you'd need more outward airflow than a PC generates even if you used the same kind of ducting that say, a portable air conditioner would use to reach a window.

Though ducting the heat out, if possible, would be more energy efficient than air conditioning the hot air.  But the real trick would be to do it and not have it be all stupid.