Advertisers ditch YouTube over predatory comments on videos of kids

ItsMitch

YouTube has hit another snag that could detrimentally affect it's content creators in terms of child privacy and pedophiles with very graphic thumbnails to very disturbing videos of children TV characters. The story is coming in from SidAlpha and the article is hosted by Reuters London's team. The main story is in regards to ToyFreaks where they posted very sketchy videos and YouTube allowed the channel to last for months, and it was at one point top 100 in the top children's channels. The current advertisers that have left are the following: Mondelez International (who own: Cadbury, Nabisco, Oreo and many more) Now TV, Adidas, HP, Deutsche Bank any many many many more. YouTube screwed the pooch on this one personally and they have made a huge mistake in this and they'll definitely pay the price for this. Personally, expect your YT income to drop even more. 

Reuters news opening statement:

LONDON (Reuters) - Confectionery maker Mondelez, Lidl, Mars and other consumer goods producers have pulled advertising from YouTube after Britain’s Times newspaper found the video-sharing site was showing clips of scantily clad children alongside the ads of major brands.

Statements from some big brands: 

A Mars spokesperson said: “We are shocked and appalled to see that our adverts have appeared alongside such exploitative and inappropriate content. We have taken the decision to immediately suspend all our online advertising on YouTube and Google globally. Until we have confidence that appropriate safeguards are in place, we will not advertise on YouTube and Google.”

Lidl said: “It is completely unacceptable that this content is available to view and it is, therefore, clear that the strict policies which Google has assured us were in place to tackle offensive content are ineffective. We have suspended all of our YouTube advertising with immediate effect.”

Deutsche Bank said: “We take this matter very seriously and suspended the advertising campaign as soon as we became aware of it.”

A Cadbury spokesperson said: “Whilst we investigate this matter we have suspended all advertising on the channel until we have clarity from YouTube on how this situation occurred and are satisfied that an acceptable solution has been put in place.”

A spokesperson for Adidas said: “We recognize that this situation is clearly unacceptable and have taken immediate action, working closely with Google on all necessary steps to prevent this from happening again.”

Videos: 

Sources:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-youtube-videos/brands-pull-youtube-ads-over-images-of-children-idUSKBN1DO1KF

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/24/youtube-aggressive-action-predatory-comments-videos-children

Whoa.

Something like this happened a little while ago with airsoft channels since they "promoted killing" in their videos, a lot of channels have been able to keep going thanks to Patreon though

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Haven't noticed any significant drop in income, at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Haven't noticed any significant drop in income, at all.

I think the thousands of content creators would have different opinions. 

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

I think the thousands of content creators would have different opinions. 

Maybe the ones who make clickbait, offensive, controversial content.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Now that's what i call anecdotal

Vol. 17?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Now that's what i call anecdotal

Yeah, I'm just stating my experience.

Maybe you should take a look at the types of channels who are having their monetizing removed, it's mostly clickbait, offensive, controversial channels with suggestive thumbnails or stuff like that.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Coming in from our favorite copyright attorney Leonard J French who was simply discussing Net Neutrality and how vital it is gets demonized, please look at the bottom one that's unlisted. Don't think that adpoca doesn't exist when it clearly does, chap.

DPUSUD_W4AADRQ7.jpg 

6 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Coming in from our favorite copyright attorney Leonard J French who was simply discussing Net Neutrality and how vital it is gets demonized, please look at the bottom one that's unlisted. Don't think that adpoca doesn't exist when it clearly does, chap. 

Again, it's a controversial topic, and the title has "demands bribes" in it so it probably got picked up by the YT algorithm.

After a few days or weeks they should get remonetized again when they are approved by a real person.

I've had the same thing happen to me with some videos that had "hardcore" in the title (because the game mode I was playing was hardcore)

I just requested the review and they're now monetized again.

I'm talking about the videos that are actually just crappy clickbait from youtubers that use offensive thumbnails or say bad things in their videos, the stuff that actually gets permanently demonetized.

Spoiler

Unfortunately content moderation is a job that attracts people who have an axe to grind. Once hired, they tend to focus only on their own ideological battles and not the larger job at hand (like moderating children's content). Youtube has been extremely busy censoring and demonetising lately, so they can't claim to lack the capacity either.

Now traditional media gets to have a field day at their expense. And holy hell are they going to beat it up.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

1 minute ago, zzrhardy said:

Unfortunately content moderation is a job that attracts people who have an axe to grind. Once hired, they tend to focus only on their own ideological battles and not the larger job at hand (like moderating children's content). Youtube has been extremely busy censoring and demonetising lately, so they can't claim to lack the capacity either.

Now traditional media gets to have a field day at their expense. And holy hell are they going to beat it up.

Definitely, the media will just eat this up and spit YouTube out; the main offending channel has been active for months and it wasn't acted on until now. 

Thanks for linking that video - I thought this was that whole weird thing about videos of people dressing up as Disney/comic book characters doing stupid/adult/fetish things appearing on YT Kids at first, and thought these advertisers were just a tad bit overreacting. But after watching that video by SidAlpha... yeah, that's some pretty fucked up shit.

I still feel (a very small amount of) sympathy towards YouTube - I'm pretty sure they're still in the red, and, given the sheer scale of the site, I can't imagine the amount of resources that must be needed to moderate (a majority of) everything, without relying on shit algorithms. That being said, come on YouTube, this type of shit should be the first thing you guys should be looking for to remove from the site. I could understand if maybe a few videos made it through the cracks, but come on - entire channels dedicated to child exploitation? Really? This seriously shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Hopefully larger channels have enough different revenue streams to not become completely dead. And at the rate these "something shit is on YouTube, all advertisers pull out" stories keep appearing, I have increasingly little hope for almost any newcomer to be able to even partially rely on YouTube as a job opportunity, which sucks. Hopefully YouTube is able to get their act together this time and sort this out quickly, or YouTube's popularity with advertisers could become fucked beyond repair, which may just completely ruin YouTube, which I really don't want to see happen.

The fact that I know exactly what they are talking about (apparently not), or that Elsa and Spiderman comes to mind when looking at this post says more than enough about this crap

Or not.......this is worse than the creepy kids channels I originally thought of...I would pull ads too if it were me, what does youtube's flagging actually do?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I dont want to know about what kind of videos they are referencing but man that is one problem with youtube allowing anyone to upload. You have a chance of getting the weirdo creepy predator types. Im not surprised by the response really as anything questionable involving kids is like a total don't touch with a 10 foot pole situation. Creepy crap. 

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

well alot of people i watch from Ashens to W4stedspace or Mighty Jingles are completely fine YouTube wich do civil and fun entertaiment 
and the get hit HARD by this as the algorithm thinks they promote something they dont , heck just swearing is enough it gets picked up by the auto subtitles as such and you get demonotised as they dont want someone say "fuck" 

play a game w/ "war" in the title and you are fucked already , World of Warships? world of warcraft? warthuner?  yea sorry we dont wanna promote killing , you are out 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Floatplane. 

That is all. 

Just make sure it wont end up as vessel...

/On topic

Well it seems youtube is gone full retard...

Edited by jagdtigger

35 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Advertisers are the new sensitive fucks, throwing shade everywhere.

look into elsagate. 

its definitly some weird shit that kids shouldnt watch.

6 hours ago, zzrhardy said:

It's not a content moderation issue, though, in this one. This is actually their algo actually feeding up these related videos. A number of journalists have been pointing out the very specific problem going back at least a year or two, and it's only recently just blown up finally.

5 hours ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Thanks for linking that video - I thought this was that whole weird thing about videos of people dressing up as Disney/comic book characters doing stupid/adult/fetish things appearing on YT Kids at first, and thought these advertisers were just a tad bit overreacting. But after watching that video by SidAlpha... yeah, that's some pretty fucked up shit.

I still feel (a very small amount of) sympathy towards YouTube - I'm pretty sure they're still in the red, and, given the sheer scale of the site, I can't imagine the amount of resources that must be needed to moderate (a majority of) everything, without relying on shit algorithms. That being said, come on YouTube, this type of shit should be the first thing you guys should be looking for to remove from the site. I could understand if maybe a few videos made it through the cracks, but come on - entire channels dedicated to child exploitation? Really? This seriously shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Hopefully larger channels have enough different revenue streams to not become completely dead. And at the rate these "something shit is on YouTube, all advertisers pull out" stories keep appearing, I have increasingly little hope for almost any newcomer to be able to even partially rely on YouTube as a job opportunity, which sucks. Hopefully YouTube is able to get their act together this time and sort this out quickly, or YouTube's popularity with advertisers could become fucked beyond repair, which may just completely ruin YouTube, which I really don't want to see happen.

Google treats YouTube has a loss leader and it's pretty clear it also works as the "place to send the less competent" within the company. They'll spent a lot of money to toss a massive Bot program at something, but they won't implement the obvious policies that are needed. It's not *that* hard to segment their content around age demographics for their advertising and have a specific team for keeping tabs on the "children friendly" areas. 

The broadcast networks have Censors for a reason. It's like YouTube never actually wants to put the important systems into place, yet wants to be treated the better than the rest. YouTube is not where Google sends its best employees, especially at the management level.

6 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

DPUSUD_W4AADRQ7.jpg 

I bet no ads from Comcast, AT&T and Verizon

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

well alot of people i watch from Ashens to W4stedspace or Mighty Jingles are completely fine YouTube wich do civil and fun entertaiment 
and the get hit HARD by this as the algorithm thinks they promote something they dont , heck just swearing is enough it gets picked up by the auto subtitles as such and you get demonotised as they dont want someone say "fuck" 

play a game w/ "war" in the title and you are fucked already , World of Warships? world of warcraft? warthuner?  yea sorry we dont wanna promote killing , you are out 

YouTube uses a "soft" Blacklist, yet they can't figure out how to use a "soft" Whitelist. The company is run by people obsessed with Trees when they have a Forest to manage. 

7 hours ago, Enderman said:

AI'm talking about the videos that are actually just crappy clickbait from youtubers that use offensive thumbnails or say bad things in their videos, the stuff that actually gets permanently demonetized.

I'd urge you to watch this video, it's only 2 min. Arguably the best reviewer out there that has no reason to get demonetized. Very careful with his words as well. 

I think we went a bit to OT.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.