What will the average mid-high range PC look like 5 years from now?

minervx

Case: Aluminum with tempered glass panels.  Sized like Metis Plus.  

Motherboard: Mini ITX with 1200 MBps AC wifi, Bluetooth 5 and a good sound chip built in.

CPU: Similar to the lower end i9 or Threadripper.

Video Card: 1.5x as strong as the GTX 1080, while consuming slightly less power.

Memory: 32 GB RAM

Storage: 2TB of M2 SSD.

Power Supply: Modular, Gold-rated, SFX, Fanless.

Monitor: 1440p, Ultrawide, 144 Hz, OLED panel, small bezels.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

ok, sorry but i dont think it will turn out like that. we will see in 5 years

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Which aspects do you think are off?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

This is just like guessing the next winning numbers for a lottery. Kind of pointless.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, minervx said:

Case: Aluminum with tempered glass panels.  Sized like Metis Plus.  And the parts snap on like durable legos and locks rather than being screwed on.

Motherboard: Mini ITX with 1200 MBps AC wifi, Bluetooth 5 and a good sound chip built in.

CPU: Similar to the i9 or Threadripper.

Video Card: Twice as strong as the GTX 1080, while consuming slightly less power.

Storage: 4TB of M2 SSD.

Monitor: 34", 1440p, Ultrawide, 144 Hz, OLED panel, small bezels, built-in 1440p webcam/mic.

I doubt the mITX factors, also 4TB of SSD storage. More like 512, maybe 1tb. MAYBE 

Not as strong as i9's (Look at the last five years, since 4790K there have been little improvements, and the 8700k is only adding 2 more cores, IPC is still very similar)

Screws will always be better than snap on parts, except HDD bays. 

The 1080 isnt double the speed of a 680, more like 40% from what I've seen. So not double

32GB of RAm..... Could be possible. Not at these DDR4 prices though

We're already seeing Gold rated modular and Aluminum TG psu's and cases being in med-high end builds

Plz no built in webcam in my monitors

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, minervx said:

Which aspects do you think are off?

Ok many aspects 
For this I will explain most people into gaming have a minimum of this in there computers as of now 
16 ram
Intel/ amd cpu
500gb hdd/1tb hdd and or a combo of a 120/240gb ssd mixed in there 
a graphics card that is about a 960/970 or so maybe like a 1050 ti if lucky

Low end would be just 
8gb ram 
enter cpu
500/1tb hdd
and then about a 750 or some low end card

wont be upgrading for a while since times ram isnt doing so much, gpu's are always getting better but until the volta and new vega lineups people wont upgrade to the past gpu market which would mean everyone would have around maybe a 1050 ti and or 1060 for cheap, cpu's are upgrading to low end i5s and i7s for gaming with the side option of a 1600/1600x as a gaming cpu from amd, ssd's are getting cheap so most people can now afford a 120 gb/ 240 gb to boot off of with a stock cpu cooler and or low end cooler to pair 

23 minutes ago, minervx said:

Case: Aluminum with tempered glass panels.  Sized like Metis Plus.  And the parts snap on like durable legos and locks rather than being screwed on.

Video Card: Twice as strong as the GTX 1080, while consuming slightly less power.

Monitor: 34", 1440p, Ultrawide, 144 Hz, OLED panel, small bezels, built-in 1440p webcam/mic.

To top this off the last part would be monitors 144hz isnt going to be the main basis for a while it will probably be 75/80hz in the near future and on top of that psu will be about 550 bronze, and last mobos will always be seperate with wifi cards for more profit 

EH

2 minutes ago, Haeking said:

Ok many aspects 
For this I will explain most people into gaming have a minimum of this in there computers as of now 
16 ram
Intel/ amd cpu
500gb hdd/1tb hdd and or a combo of a 120/240gb ssd mixed in there 
a graphics card that is about a 960/970 or so maybe like a 1050 ti if lucky

Low end would be just 
8gb ram 
enter cpu
500/1tb hdd
and then about a 750 or some low end card

wont be upgrading for a while since times ram isnt doing so much, gpu's are always getting better but until the volta and new vega lineups people wont upgrade to the past gpu market which would mean everyone would have around maybe a 1050 ti and or 1060 for cheap, cpu's are upgrading to low end i5s and i7s for gaming with the side option of a 1600/1600x as a gaming cpu from amd, ssd's are getting cheap so most people can now afford a 120 gb/ 240 gb to boot off of with a stock cpu cooler and or low end cooler to pair 

I disagree with 16gb of ram for sure. Especially if they have a 960. 8gb is still more than enough

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

EH

I disagree with 16gb of ram for sure. Especially if they have a 960. 8gb is still more than enough

most gamers if not the average pc nerd will see 16gb kits on new egg for the low low is why I say so, dont get me wrong an 8 gb kit is good but if you know ram frequencies, and pricing per dollar on the ram as well as pc part picker finding you a cheap stick set from a reputable dealer with 16 gb of ram its hard to say no 

Come on, we can't see the future. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Come on, we can't see the future. 

You're right my dude assumptions carry no weight until proven so all of what we are saying is like a 50/50 gamble of bs 

25 minutes ago, minervx said:

The latter is a cool idea and might catch on since the trend over the last many years has been toward easier construction and maintenance, but as for the former, it's totally a subjective style thing and there's no way to predict that.

they already have good sound chips, bluetooth 5 will probably be superseded by then, as will that class of wifi

I think by definition of "mid-high" it won't be this, since these are considered enthusiast+ sort of things, but if you mean an equivalent of what they have today, as in 8+ cores, I agree, we've already started to see the move from 4 to 6 and 8 cores in the mainstream lineups of Intel and AMD.  IT's reasonable to think this will continue (to a point)

That's probably reasonable - 5 years ago, the *80 class card was the 680, and the 1080 is somewhere between 175 and 300% better according to userbenchmark.

perhaps... but I can see people still using 16 at that point too.

That might be a bit of a stretch.  Sure, looking back 5 years, SSDs then compared to now are probably as much of a change that this could be a thing, but will it be typical?  Probably not... If anything, I think we'll see 256 GB optane as the standard.

We can only hope xD 

Size is personal preference and used to fit a situation, no way to predict that.

Resolution probably will be up to 1440p at least if not 4K (finally)

It remains to be seen if ultrawide is here to stay, about to take over everything, or just a fad

I would definitely like to see a bump up to 120 hz as the standard baseline refresh rate but I am not confident saying that will happen

As for the OLED and small bezels, again, we can only hope! :D 

Please no built in shit though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Haeking said:

most gamers if not the average pc nerd will see 16gb kits on new egg for the low low is why I say so, dont get me wrong an 8 gb kit is good but if you know ram frequencies, and pricing per dollar on the ram as well as pc part picker finding you a cheap stick set from a reputable dealer with 16 gb of ram its hard to say no 

Woops didnt mean to type the "EH" lol

Some people cant afford 16 gb either. Like my friend with a 600 dollar budget, Im putting in a 1600 and a 1060 3gb for him. 

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Woops didnt mean to type the "EH" lol

Some people cant afford 16 gb either. Like my friend with a 600 dollar budget, Im putting in a 1600 and a 1060 3gb for him. 

cheapest 16gb ram kit on pcpartpicker is like 120$ depending on his luck, but if his budget is like $600 try this on for size he might be able to fit in a 1060 I think with like a low end psu and case combo or so : https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3564127

3 minutes ago, Haeking said:

cheapest 16gb ram kit on pcpartpicker is like 120$ depending on his luck, but if his budget is like $600 try this on for size he might be able to fit in a 1060 I think with like a low end psu and case combo or so : https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3564127

Nah it includes monitor and tax as well. I can post the pcpartpicker later if you want so I can get your opinion

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Nah it includes monitor and tax as well. I can post the pcpartpicker later if you want so I can get your opinion

Yeah Im down, that's a pretty tight budget but I know you and I could find some sick deals online to get him a great pc 

I'd say 24- 48 GB of ram seems reasonable, current generation AMD cpus want quite some ram bandwidth, looking back at previous conflicts where only one side needed it it's not unreasonable that intel throws faster ram ram in as a selling point even though it might not do anything for them, and judging from the development of DDR SDRAM, triple channel will probably be the easiest and cheapest fix (not that it will do very much), moving away from SDRAM is a possibility though, QDR however is unlikely to make a significant push even in specialized and enthusiast builds because of its high complexity and HBM is unlikely in anything that might ever have to be upgraded.

512 bit instructions and could be moved to out of the cpu to expansions since it negatively affect thermals and isn't universally used, while APUs with internal graphics might be more commonplace on the mid range than they are now especially since dx12 and vulkan will have time to take off with a 5 year time span.

Then again the only speculation I'm fully willing to do is that personal computers will never use more than 64 bit wide address bus specifically for RAM.

If it plays out anything like the last 5 years they will be roughly the same as they are now with marginal ipc improvements and a midrange card which is around gtx 1080 performance. Hopefully it gets a little better with ryzen on the field.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Storage devices may see radical improvements; if something along the lines of PCIE 4.0/5.0 becomes available & adopted for mainstream consumers within the next few years then NVME 2.0 might be to current NVME what current NVME is to SATA (for SSDs).

I don't see spinning platter HDDs to completely phasing out soon though: the price/GB is much, much, much lower, and the maximum size you can stick inside a 3.5" form factor is still much bigger than a 2.5" SSD (3.5" SSDs may not pick up steam that soon due to size constraints for laptops).

We may see 8C/8T i5 processors if Intel still feels sufficiently pressured by AMD, although IPC improvements probably won't be spectacular due to the limits of Silicon (sub 7nm Germanium/Germanium-Silicon-alloy transistors probably won't be available for mass consumers for another decade considering the timescale of R&D).

I see where you are coming from with those specs. But you forgot something.. cost, cost always goes down. If you include OEM build computers, expect more plastic. more cuts left and right. 6 Cores? Probably not to be honest... unless there is no choice, I see your average computer having a quad core CPU in favor or a smaller heatsink (for both laptop and desktops). Heatsinks are expensive to produce. Smaller and the less copper they take, the better.

We see this today. laptops and desktop are made with cheaper plastics, 5400RPM HDDs are still common everywhere on your "average consumer" computer, and so on, but the price is much less.  In fact, the price drop is going down FAST. Because not only the prices drop that you see but also inflation rate comes into play going against it. Meaning, in early 2000 a decent non-gaming computer were easily 2k-3k in those days dollars. A $2000 back then, is almost $3000 today. If you try to match "experience" of the time with today, a 500-700$ laptop will fit the bill.

I expect laptops to be mostly hollow... basically a phone internals in a laptop. Already Microsoft is going with Windows 10 on ARM that is in the works complete with full x86 and x86-64 emulation to run all current programs perfectly fine, including big programs like Photoshop. So I expect a plasticky laptop, mostly hallow, with a small battery, a small circuit board giving you a few USB ports type-C, recharge circuit, power button, RAM chip, and a SoC ARM chip (those chips have audio, networking, GPU, CPU all in one). In other words... a circuit board no bigger than a third of the size of your smartphone, and a battery that is like twice as big than your phone, giving you near all day computing, and cost a few hundred dollars.

21 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Storage devices may see radical improvements; if something along the lines of PCIE 4.0/5.0 becomes available & adopted for mainstream consumers within the next few years then NVME 2.0 might be to current NVME what current NVME is to SATA (for SSDs).

What are they going to change in NVMe to make it any lower latency/higher throughput? NVMe is already independent of the PCIe version.

And even with Optane drives, PCIe 4.0 is only really a benefit for consumers from a perspective of using 2 lanes vs the usual 4 for m.2 drives or 2-8x vs 4-16x with PCIe drives. It's not like the PCIe lanes are the bottleneck on consumer drives.

Edit: also why are you comparing NVMe to SATA? Different things. PCIe is replacing SATA. NVMe is replacing AHCI.

3 hours ago, Haeking said:

Yeah Im down, that's a pretty tight budget but I know you and I could find some sick deals online to get him a great pc 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L9T69W

With this monitor

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-22cwa-21-5-inch-Backlit/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504314655&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A1253505011

Oh yea I guess 600 wasnt with monitor :/

4 hours ago, minervx said:

PC cases have consistently gone up in price, so I'd say plastic with the minimum necessary steel, and no hand-cutting edges at best.

4 hours ago, minervx said:

Motherboard: Mini ITX 

Power Supply:  Fanless.

None of these will be mainstream. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD