Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

razer? you mean that poor thermal design, poor quality control, poor customer service machines? you haven't spend any time on the forum. 

that's why i use a late 2013 15 inch D-GPU maxed out MacBook pro retina

not really, it's not good as you think especially if you look into it. thermal throttling is not apricated in a workstation computer. 

You know more about thermal throttling than Apple, on a device that wont be released for another 6 months, that we have no idea on what other methods being used to cool the device beyond two gigantic fans? Yout hink Apple, with shoving that much into the chassis, didn't think of vapor chambers and increased heat piping and anything else required to make it work? 

My god, the internet always knows best.

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

1 minute ago, ResidentRad said:

This is amazing. Y'all just need any excuse to give Apple shit. Too expensive, too weak, too useless, pros wont actually use it; what other excuses?

My main issue with Apple extends to the pricing and the non-upgradability of the devices...  Yes, they have an excellent ecosystem, if you want to pay extra to be walled off in that ecosystem, however, you are paying a fairly hefty premium on what you could just build yourself for a system and then you can't just easily upgrade the parts without somehow violating your EULA from Apple...  If they were to scale back their pricing to something more reasonable and if they were to allow for me to replace parts on the system as it ages, then I might be more interested in their systems.

The whole problem with this is that it's a $5,000 AIO.

It caters to such a niche market which I'm doing my best not to insult.

Can anyone on here explain the person that this is made for without being insulting or at least condescending?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It caters to such a niche market which I'm doing my best not to insult, but if I explained who it's for it would be insulting.

The parts cost around $4,200 if you were to build one right now. 

Edit: Obviously not the same parts but that's how much someone quoted with PC part picker on reddit.

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

On topic, that's some pretty impressive stats for an all-in-one.  Overpriced, in my opinion (as is typical of Mac), but to fit all of that in a slim case is still impressive.  And I'm not even a fan of Apple (I've never owned one, and I likely never will).

i know it's impressive, i was talking more about the design, sacrificing thermals for the looks 

4 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

You know more about thermal throttling than Apple, on a device that wont be released for another 6 months, that we have no idea on what other methods being used to cool the device beyond two gigantic fans? Yout hink Apple, with shoving that much into the chassis, didn't think of vapor chambers and increased heat piping and anything else required to make it work? 

stupid laws of thermodynamics, they ruin everything. 

12 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Someone show me a more powerful all-in-one. That is one hell of a device. Now to see if it thermal throttles.

More powerful how? Because Linus just reviewed an all-in-one with a gtx 1080 (or 1080ti) in it. For a heck of a cheaper price. Not to mention building the exact same machine and getting an ever better monitor would be astronomically cheaper, not to mention upgradable.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

stupid laws of thermodynamics, they ruin everything. 

Eh @ResidentRad has a point. Jumping the gun before any solid evidence isn't the best practice.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

1 minute ago, suits said:

More powerful how? Because Linus just reviewed an all-in-one with a gtx 1080 (or 1080ti) in it. For a heck of a cheaper price. Not to mention building the exact same machine and getting an ever better monitor would be astronomically cheaper, not to mention upgradable.

8 Core Xeon standard? 18 Core Option? 5K IPS 10-Bit Panel? Fully Aluminum Frame? ECC DDR4?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It caters to such a niche market which I'm doing my best not to insult.

Can anyone on here explain the person that this is made for without being insulting or at least condescending?

Pretty impossible to  not offend the market that would want this. The only positive thing I can think of is maybe they are wayyy into Final Cut Pro

I think these imacs are gonna sell like crazy. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

Fanboy much...

If Apple knows more than us about thermal throttling, why the fuck have their iMacs been throttling on way less demanding hardware the past 6 years.

A cramped box with a shit ton of hardware cramped in it will release a lot of heat. I know you think Apple is your messiah but they cant break physics

2 minutes ago, suits said:

Pretty impossible to  not offend the market that would want this. The only positive thing I can think of is maybe they are wayyy into Final Cut Pro

Apple are also marketing it for developers, VR creation/developers, and the rest. Hence EEC memory, workstation parks for all, 10-bit colour monitor and such.
They're working in partnership with Epic ( Unreal VR ), Steam VR, Unity, and updated their Metal API to it's 2.0 version.
It's the reason they also have that external Thunderbolt add on GPU subsystem, and Vega in the new iMac Pro.

It's all cool, but they'd get more buyers, and make more Apple Pros happy if they actually went back to the old 2009-2012 Mac Pro desktop design.

The 2013, and iMac are just not good enough for Thermals, and expansion really. Which is most likely why the Vega GPU they're using is 11 TFLOPS instead of the 12.5 or higher like the Vega Frontier Edition.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

My main issue with Apple extends to the pricing and the non-upgradability of the devices

Upgradability is indeed an issue but to a certain point, pricing isn't actually that bad...

I mean compared to other OEMs and considering how generally apple actually uses "higher spec"/"better" parts, they are generally pretty good. 

On a side note, when I say higher spec and better parts, I mean if we were to compare the macbook pro 13 to a dell XPS, the macbook is slightly more expensive however it has a faster (albeit proprietary) SSD, brighter and more colour accurate display soooooo...ya know :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, suits said:

I've only heard good things about final cut, but even that is too much of a stretch.

The closest I can come to explaining the target audience for this would be desperate.

The situation being if someone is desperate enough that they need content created in such a short time frame that they can't be bothered to do anything but spend $5,000 on the most powerful quick out of the box solution and I even think that is a little bit of a stretch.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

38 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Lots of updates, mostly spec bumps. New iMac Pro. External GPU support through TB3. VR support through HTC Vive

iMac Pro

Capture.JPG.7890a5d68a208f936937f502e7447fff.JPG

• Up to 18 core Xeon
  • 128GB ECC RAM
  • Radeon Vega - No confirmation of VR support but it'd be strange if it didn't
  • 5K display
  • Quad Thunderbolt 3
  • Up to 4TB SSD
  • 5K display, 10 bit panel
  • Re-designed dual centrifugal fan thermal system
  • New black peripherals
  • External GPU support
  • Starting at $4999
  • Pictures

it has 4 Thunderbolt 3 not 2. all the standard models have 2 Thunderbolt 3.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Apple are also marketing it for developers, VR creation/developers, and the rest. Hence EEC memory, workstation parks for all, 10-bit colour monitor and such.
They're working in partnership with Epic ( Unreal VR ), Steam VR, Unity, and updated their Metal API to it's 2.0 version.
It's the reason they also have that external Thunderbolt add on GPU subsystem, and Vega in the new iMac Pro.

It's all cool, but they'd get more buyers, and make more Apple Pros happy if they actually went back to the old 2009-2012 Mac Pro desktop design.

The 2013, and iMac are just not good enough for Thermals, and expansion really. Which is most likely why the Vega GPU they're using is 11 TFLOPS instead of the 12.5 or higher like the Vega Frontier Edition.

That leaves another gap though, what companies are going to buy a $5,000 AIO instead of a cheaper workstation alternative?

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I've only heard good things about final cut, but even that is too much of a stretch.

The closest I can come to explaining the target audience for this would be desperate.

The situation being if someone is desperate enough that they need content created in such a short time frame that they can't be bothered to do anything but spend $5,000 on the most powerful quick out of the box solution and I even think that is a little bit of a stretch.

FCPX is truly phenomenal! I miss it so much, but can't justify buying a Mac just for that, or suffering through an hackintosh.

Although even a MBP with FCPX, will on average beat a custom Windows workstation running Adobe Premiere Pro. Mostly because Abobe can't optimise to same their life.

Just now, Valentyn said:

FCPX is truly phenomenal! I miss it so much, but can't justify buying a Mac just for that, or suffering through an hackintosh.

Although even a MBP with FCPX, will on average beat a custom Windows workstation running Adobe Premiere Pro. Mostly because Abobe can't optimise to same their life.

For speed nothing can beat it, that background rendering is also amazing for non pros. However the industry seems to be shifting to Premiere Pro and DaVinci because of features and plugins.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

That leaves another gap though, what companies are going to buy a $5,000 AIO instead of a cheaper workstation alternative?

The ones that are invested in OS X, and Unix will always stick with Apple.
It's the same reason developers are still not fully using DX12/Vulkan. Once you're invested into DX10/11 it's more than just the hardware costs to move and develop on the new vs old.

It's the time and effort to get to grips with it.

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

it has 4 Thunderbolt 3 not 2. all the standard models have 2 Thunderbolt 3.

Thanks :D Lots of info to process and things get missed. Corrected.

Just now, randomhkkid said:

For speed nothing can beat it, that background rendering is also amazing for non pros. However the industry seems to be shifting to Premiere Pro and DaVinci because of features and plugins.

Oh certainly, I'm keeping an eye on DaVinci myself. Premiere Pro is just so bad at using all my hardware. For some reason their Encoder just cannot use more than four cores for 4K work. Any anything under 4K it'll use all 12 of my threads, but 4K...I wish.

Once DaVinci's beta is nearly over I might fully embrace it, and shake off the Adobe monthly fees as well for what's really just an average package at best in Premiere Pro. 

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

The ones that are invested in OS X, and Unix will always stick with Apple.
It's the same reason developers are still not fully using DX12/Vulkan. Once you're invested into DX10/11 it's more than just the hardware costs to move and develop on the new vs old.

It's the time and effort to get to grips with it.

True, but wouldn't they favor a cheaper mac pro solution instead of an imac?

Or maybe there's no comparable Mac pro available(honestly don't know)?

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

True, but wouldn't they favor a cheaper mac pro solution instead of an imac?

Or maybe there's no comparable Mac pro available(honestly don't know)?

There is none, sadly Apple has never updated the 2013 Mac Pro, and it's still using an Ivy-bridge Xeon, and AMD Tahiti based FirePro gpu. Which is to say, the 7970 professional version.

What they really need is a proper full desktop chassis again, and hopefully that'll come next year. Especially after they admitted their failings with the 2013 model.