Windows 10 has reached Adware status

patrick3027
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Looks pretty easy to remove to me.  I would assume anyone not interested in it would have done so already.

Capture.PNG

They must have implemented that feature later on newer Windows update. I kinda hate Windows update as it screwed up many things to me so when I reinstall Windows 10 again I immediately disable Windows update

luck2.png

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I did it 1st thing after I installed W10, it's (was) uninstallable - did it with CCleaner if I recall

One Drive is an app that integrates into shit

If thats the case then just nuke it with a live linux... (if you delete it it cant start it, problem solved)

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

They must have implemented that feature later on newer Windows update. I kinda hate Windows update as it screwed up many things to me so when I reinstall Windows 10 again I immediately disable Windows update

You're saying you have OneDrive installed but it doesn't show up in the list?

Also, I have to stop and appreciate the irony here for a second... you hating updates and actively avoiding them while recognizing that they would improve things for you :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

You're saying you have OneDrive installed but it doesn't show up in the list?

Also, I have to stop and appreciate the irony here for a second... you hating updates and actively avoiding them while recognizing that they would improve things for you :P 

Only OneDrive. It's not an issue to me at all, it doesn't pop up, I am not signed in to MS account too yet as I kinda want my username to appear as user folder not the cutdown version of my email address.

Yeah it doesn't show up on the list. 

I have more things to worry than OneDrive...

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What happens if you click "not now"?  How long does it go away for?  Until you open Explorer again?  An hour?  A day?  A year?  Until the next Windows update?  Forever?  I think we need that answered.

Furthermore, what happens if you uninstall OneDrive, or just don't set it to auto-start?

It has not came up in a week, so I think it's a one time thing.

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

It has not came up in a week, so I think it's a one times thing.

Again, interesting.

All I'm asking is for a little tiny bit of effort and thought before we pull out the pitchforks ...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If someone programms an OS that runns somewhat decent and support Windows programms, many poeple would buy it and switch instantly.

But there is no such option and Microsoft knows that very well. And they act accordingy.

Hell even München (a city in Germanny) switched several thousand PCs from Linux (yes the gouvenment used Linus for several years) back to windos. Not really because of problems with Linux but due to lobbing and politicans with no technical know how.....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Again, interesting.

All I'm asking is for a little tiny bit of effort and thought before we pull out the pitchforks ...

Basicly since the launch of Win 10 the pitchfork is allways in my hand.

So one can use it quickly. ;)

\s

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Again, interesting.

Why is it even there though. If people just accept it that allows them to proceed to do it more often. Better to kill it young than let it grow into something bigger. 

8 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Why is it even there though. If people just accept it that allows them to proceed to do it more often. Better to kill it young than let it grow into something bigger. 

I look at it a littler differently.  Save the riots for when the actually do something worth complaining about or they will learn to ignore the userbase due to them freaking out constantly when there's no reason to.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Again, interesting.

What do you mean "little tiny bit of effort"? Regardless of how often this happens, or why this happens, it should be unacceptable. I paid for the OS, it data mines me and it still shows me ads? Microsoft isn't double dipping here, they are triple dipping.

And why is "we need more info" always the response from the Microsoft defense force? No amount of information is ever enough for you. I have even run network logging tools to and showed people and they still go "that doesn't prove anything because the traffic is encrypted! Your argument is invalid!" when debating whether or not Windows 10 was gathering data such as local searches even when explicitly told to not do it.

When it comes to Microsoft, they have really used all their chances of "let''s wait and see if it is bad". They have time and time and time again been objectively and scientifically proven to be huge pieces of shit that do not deserve any defense whatsoever.

I am being completely honest here. I really do not understand how anyone who has even an ounce of common sense and has studied the variety of things Microsoft does in Windows 10 could defend or give Microsoft the benefit out a doubt anymore.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I look at it a littler differently.  Save the riots for when the actually do something worth complaining about or they will learn to ignore the userbase due to them freaking out constantly when there's no reason to.

So you want Microsoft to boil us like frogs?

They have already done several things which are worth complaining about. The problem is that each time they do it, people like you jump in to defend it so the bar for what is "unacceptable" has been raised time and time again.

Serious question here. Does Microsoft pay you or are you just ignorant of what Windows 10 is and what it does? Those are really the only two explanations I got for why you behave like this. Not trying to be funny or a "hater". I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that those are the only two explanations.

This is like the 5th time since Windows 10 was released that have done something I would consider unacceptable.

Edit: Actually I thought of another reason. That you are a frog that is being boiled. I hope you realize it soon.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I look at it a littler differently.  Save the riots for when the actually do something worth complaining about 

Like Windows 10? :P 

Cue the Microsoft haters in 3..2..1..

Cue the Microsoft defenders in 3..2..1..

These mud slinging will never ends.

1 minute ago, atrash said:

Cue the Microsoft haters in 3..2..1..

I think you are a little late:P.

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

I think you are a little late:P.

edited my post. pressing enter apparently post it instead of going down another line. But to add my 2 cent to this, I don't quite appreciate how Microsoft is doing this, if it's from OS level but if you can just uninstall Onedrive and it's gone, then I don't really mind. I'm a Onedrive user btw..

Just now, atrash said:

edited my post. pressing enter apparently post it instead of going down another line. But to add my 2 cent to this, I don't quite appreciate how Microsoft is doing this, if it's from OS level but if you can just uninstall Onedrive and it's gone, then I don't really mind. I'm a Onedrive user btw..

That's weird, mine makes a new line.

I am just pissed at what Microsoft is doing as much as you.

Haven't seen that "ad" before. I also have OneDrive disabled/uninstalled.

But just in case, I've disabled that "sync provider notification" option.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Haven't seen that "ad" before. I also have OneDrive disabled/uninstalled.

But just in case, I've disabled that "sync provider notification" option.

Just disabled mine as well.

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And why is "we need more info" always the response from the Microsoft defense force? No amount of information is ever enough for you. I have even run network logging tools to and showed people and they still go "that doesn't prove anything because the traffic is encrypted! Your argument is invalid!" when debating whether or not Windows 10 was gathering data such as local searches even when explicitly told to not do it.

Because they keep moving the goalposts, that's why.

People aren't gonna take you seriously if you keep doing that.

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

Seems like some people are now getting OneDrive ads in the file explorer. It is unclear from the current reports online if this is limited to preview builds or not, or if only certain regions are getting the ads. My only source for this news is two reddit screenshots and a thread on 4chan.

This is completely unacceptable IMO, Windows 10 isn't free anymore and the current amount of ads in paid software is simply appaling.

I have yet to see this notification, and I'm on an Insider Build of Windows 10, so maybe it's selective? Or maybe it's because I have almost 2TB of free OneDrive storage that I'm not using on my account... meh. Either way, I haven't paid for my Windows since XP, so it's not a big deal for me. Turn off setting, notification goes away. That being said, if it continued to popup, I'd definitely be a little ticked off.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Microsoft is turning Windows into a service, slowly but surely.  We are all frogs in a pot with water getting increasingly hotter.   As time progresses I guarantee unless Microsoft gets a change of heart we will see more and more ads, more tracking and at some point the inability to even log in with a local Windows account.  

Microsoft tried it before, and it didn't work.  They are still pushing the same thing just much more slower to fool everyone into thinking they've actually changed their ideology.  Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook.  I don't give a damn, I just don't want to be tied into any of their services.  Like leeches that live off information and the entrapment of others. 

Well I havent had any adds and hopefully wont.

but I dont use ONEDRIVE and never plan to.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Based on personal experience, the OneDrive ad in explorer only appears when you

• Do a clean install with the latest 1607 build.
  • Direct upgrade from build 1511 to 1607 from a ISO image. I haven't tried upgrading to 1607 through windows update, cause it's a waste of time, when I already have the 1607 ISO image.
  • However I did upgrade my other system to build 1607 through windows update about 3-4 months ago and it never had the One Drive ad in explorer. I do know that if I do a clean install on my desktop right now, it's going to have the OneDrive ad.

Edit

Just remembered one more thing, when you do a direct upgrade from build 1511 to 1607. OneDrive will say it something about it needs to update and when you proceed with it, Edge opens up and prompts you to save the updated OneDrive setup file.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Still using Windows 7 and have no plans on upgrading to Windows "UGLY" 10 ATM. 

My gamer wife and my gamer mum LOL yea i know. Both play on windows 8.1 and windows 10. ITS TERRIBLE i curse it when i have to sort something out for them on there pc's

I feel like I'm in some kind of exclusive 0.1% of Windows 10 users who has never had any ads on the OS, or any other problems. Maybe because I bought a retail Home version for a new computer, instead of upgrading? I don't know, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with these issues. To any who do, best of luck solving/getting rid of them and I hope Microsoft stops with all the nonsense, soon, though I doubt it.