Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino

As long as there's actual content inside the video or article, i don't c what the thumbnail is. Everything I've seen of theirs from CES has had a title related to the content inside. Sure the picture might be silly, but that's Linus. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Same here, their video quality (at least for me) was going down hill like crazy. So I unsubbed. Now their videos are almost feels like shouting out: WHOOOHOOOOO PCMR FOR THE WIN!!! MACS ARE TRASH!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO ALL HAIL GABEN!!!!! WOOOOO!!!. Yeah. That's what I feel when I watched a lot of the vids that are produced in the recent years. I remembered questioned some of the thing LTT did, and their video quality at here , this forum. Nah, did not make a difference. 

That was what I assume. Especially channel like LTT that have a huge sub base. Youtube might "require" the content creator to adjust their video style or even do certain things. For example like: using a "catching" title, or something like that. I remembered read something about youtube nowadays actually is going back to their old style. Using click bait to generate more clicks , so that the ads are gonna be played a lot more time. Which means their revenue is gonna go up. And google is still claiming that youtube as a platform and a business they owned have YET to make a profit. So, 1st youtube tried this click bait strategy, then changed to the more subtle approach, now it changes it back to click bait. Cos no one like to own a business that is constantly losing money.    

his macbook pro  2016 video was fair in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its a reddit joke 

well everything is either a 4chan or reddit joke

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

well everything is either a 4chan or reddit joke

at least its a good scale, most people has seen a real banana.  

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

at least its a good scale, most people has seen a real banana.  

bananas are real? 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

bananas are real? 

No. They only exist in Donkey Kong.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

No. They only exist in Donkey Kong.

I knew it

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

his macbook pro  2016 video was fair in my opinion. 

Yes. Some of his vids are fair. No doubt. I like his approach in the 2016 macbook video, although I do not agree with him. That's not the point. But I think that Linus and the LMG groups also aware of all the "problems" that we mentioned. And yet to find a solution to change it. Those big sponsors can easily influence big channel like LMG through contract or money or something else. I just felt like the whole LMG group changed from a few people who have the same dream and same target and working together to a mini version of big cooperation. Like those little start-ups, at the beginning it was always fun and you voluntarily put in huge amounts of hard work to "keep it going" and "make it work". Then it worked. Everything clicked. Everyone is happy, you have this huge satisfaction that make you smile everyday. Then slowly but surely things changed. Politics happened in the office. When dealing with huge amount of money people changed. And someone started to find someone else to blame. Then people started to fight for their money, their piece of cake, fight for power. Then the whole thing changed. Everyone felt it, but no one dare to speak up. I felt that LMG group is at this stage right now. And probably everyone is working overtime everyday... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Is it just me or you guys have the same thought, after they moved to the big warehouse, (a.k.a after the moving blog they did ) the video quality decreased a lot... I mean it was not like day and night, but it was going downhill slowly. Then it becomes cheesy ad for sponsors and "trying to be funny " vids with click-bait thumbnail and etc..... 

9 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Is it just me or you guys have the same thought, after they moved to the big warehouse, (a.k.a after the moving blog they did ) the video quality decreased a lot... I mean it was not like day and night, but it was going downhill slowly. Then it becomes cheesy ad for sponsors and "click-bait" thumbnail and etc..... 

in real life money is power its sad to say this but its true. ltt has handled the change better than almost every youtube far as i see the content is not biased. if you want to see a sellout youtube search  un unbox therapy. 

As long as HarshlyCritical doesn't (and he likely won't), I'm fine.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

none of the title feels click bait at all. if you think its click bait go sub the daily vlog channels, that shit is click bait or watch the new.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

in real life money is power its sad to say this but its true. ltt has handled the change better than almost every youtube far as i see the content is not biased. if you want to see a sellout youtube search  up unbox therapy. 

Yeah, I unsubbed that one looooooooooooonnnnggg time ago. And just look at that channel now. Look at their host. See how his looks changed this few years. That's the thing what I am talking about man.... Those fame, money and power destroy people over time. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Those fame, money and power destroy people over time. 

Glad Linus barely changed since his beginning. Other than being slightly less awkward. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Glad Linus barely changed since his beginning. Other than being slightly less awkward. 

Linus is trying really hard. And he had his wife and his whole family behind him who are supporting him. God bless him. All those things had nothing to do about how I felt about his video though. LUL. And I don't like them videos....

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

@LinusTech  Someone calls you awkward.  *cough*

/s

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

@LinusTech  Someone calls you awkward.  *cough*

/s

No one like a tattletale. 9_9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

No one like a tattletale. 9_9

Want me to be more annoying???

Spoiler

Likes. No one likes a tattletale. 

1 hour ago, mad dudy said:

none of the title feels click bait at all. if you think its click bait go sub the daily vlog channels, that shit is click bait or watch the new.

I said disturbing trend. So far he's avoiding it, that's a good thing, and there are a few there (like I said that upgrade your laptop with the splashing water and Hazard suit is complete clickbait, all Luke does is throw in an SSD which they've done 5000 times to computers). I hope it doesn't become Vox

Who comes up with such thoughts anyway? I care about the Content not the Face on it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

well its working for me :(

i guess more views for you (but no ad, mobile youtube doesnt have it and i cannot change it to show an add at all..)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Since no one seems to have posted this, I will:

LTT_Thumbnails.png

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/815706362696998912

Seems like they don't really like it either, but have to "stick with it" because of the stupid youtube algorithm.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I'm getting pretty close to unsubscribing. I used to watch every video they upload but now I don't even click on the video anymore if it has those thumbnails and they are starting to get annoying to see in my feed.

Yeah, it's getting ridiculous. 

Kinda reminds me of the "like this video if you want to see X or Y" period.  Luckily they stopped doing that, so let's hope they can find a way to stop with this clickbait nonsense too.