Vessel acquired and shut down by Verizon

ExplodingTNT
9 hours ago, zMeul said:

AT&T gets HBO (+the rest), Verizon gets Vessel

what's next? Alibaba gets YouTube?!?!

Actually, Youtube was already bought by Google before all the others, so it's not the next up, but rather the first.

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Ever heard of "Laissez Faire"?

Laissez Fair is a liberal doctrine, not a fundamental component of competitive capitalism. Indeed, it can often be detrimental to the existence of competitive markets, something that has been shown both theoretically and empirically. Having said that, you can have other forms of capitalism less based on free, competitive markets, and those can be achieved both through excessive government intervention ("state capitalism") and through excessive laissez faire (let's call it "tycoon capitalism" to use an euphemism).

2 hours ago, deviant88 said:

what if google made a deal with verizon to buy the competition and close it ?

Very unlikely. But, just for fun: hasn't Google recently announced a halt on Google Fiber's expansion...?

... GOOGLILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Actually, Youtube was already bought by Google before all the others, so it's not the next up, but rather the first.

YT wouldn't gotten where it is today without Google

Just now, zMeul said:

YT wouldn't gotten where it is today without Google

Nah, Youtube was Youtube while Google was trying its lame attempt at Google Videos, despite pushing it hard trhough Google search results. Eventually it gave up, shut its own service down and bought the reigning one. 

But either way, for better or worse, Youtube was already sold.

23 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Nah, Youtube was Youtube while Google was trying its lame attempt at Google Videos, despite pushing it hard trhough Google search results. Eventually it gave up, shut its own service down and bought the reigning one. 

Although dominant, it was far from profitable. Just like Vessel youtube was originally hemorrhaging cash, and was relying on VC and Angel investments to keep the light's on until they could be acquired. With that merger Google brought it's extensive Advertising experience and network to the table, and youtube brought the product, the viewers, to them. From there it gave another platform/way of selling Ad space to advertisers, rather than banner ads (0.1% click rate ), Top searches (~1.8%) that drove googles revenue before that. 

http://www.smartinsights.com/internet-advertising/internet-advertising-analytics/display-advertising-clickthrough-rates/

https://moz.com/blog/google-organic-click-through-rates-in-2014)

EDIT: video click rate is 1.84%, but allows has much stronger staying power http://www.businessinsider.com/digital-video-advertising-performance-and-growth-trends-2014-8

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

YouTube Red isn't available in England either but PewDiePie still has it. 

That's because PewDiePie is managed by Maker Studios (now owned by Disney).

41 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

the Google Videos thingy is still there

1 minute ago, Geek95 said:

That's because PewDiePie is managed by Maker Studios (now owned by Disney).

Would you by chance use Youtube Red? From the great white north, so haven't had an opportunity to test it out. Vessel for me was excellent, both in avoiding the preroll adds and avoiding the backed in adds that LMG had to put in to make to diversify revenue. 

For me Vessel was an easy buy (even after the free trial) If you bought for the year (which I did) it came out to 3.8 cents per video, which is a negligible amount to not have to deal with ads of any sort. Receiving the videos one week early was a nice, but not needed bonus. I'd gladly pay the same 20$ per year for ten videos a week (7 LTT,3 TQQ, 1CSF) of completely marketing free content. 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the Google Videos thingy is still there

Not really. "Google Videos" is now just like "Google images": it searches among (mostly youtube) videos and provides links to them. The original Google Videos I talk about was a hosting service, just like Youtube. It may be still alive as a service to upload videos to Google+ or something, but I'd need to find someone who uses Google+ to ask :P 

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not really. "Google Videos" is now just like "Google images": it searches among (mostly youtube) videos and provides links to them. The original Google Videos I talk about was a hosting service, just like Youtube. It may be still alive as a service to upload videos to Google+ or something, but I'd need to find someone who uses Google+ to ask :P 

no, you got it wrong

Google Videos is still there, and I'm not referring to the search engine, but the thingy attached to google drive (I think)

I actually saw videos on google that are not tied to YT

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2423694?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Edited by zMeul

i didnt like the vessel UI so i dont use vessel but its sad that a big part of LMG's revenue is gone

15 minutes ago, Camofelix said:

Would you by chance use Youtube Red? From the great white north, so haven't had an opportunity to test it out. Vessel for me was excellent, both in avoiding the preroll adds and avoiding the backed in adds that LMG had to put in to make to diversify revenue. 

For me Vessel was an easy buy (even after the free trial) If you bought for the year (which I did) it came out to 3.8 cents per video, which is a negligible amount to not have to deal with ads of any sort. Receiving the videos one week early was a nice, but not needed bonus. I'd gladly pay the same 20$ per year for ten videos a week (7 LTT,3 TQQ, 1CSF) of completely marketing free content. 

And if you watch hardware canucks and others then it's even less :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no, you got it wrong

Google Videos is still there, and I'm not referring to the search engine, but the thingy attached to google drive (I think)

I actually saw videos on google that are not tied to YT

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2423694?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

In case you haven't noticed, you are basically confirming what I have just said. Your link shows how to play a video you upload to your google drive, which is like 0.1% related to youtube. The youtube-like platform is dead, which is kind of natural once they bought youtube.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And if you watch hardware canucks and others then it's ever less :P 

Agreed! as an exercise I just did a rough estimate of my cost/video for all video content on vessel, it comes out to slightly over a single penny per view! And to save 5-30s for preroll/1min for backed in adds on YT, I'd pay that without thinking about it twice!

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

In case you haven't noticed, you are basically confirming what I have just said. Your link shows how to play a video you upload to your google drive, which is like 0.1% related to youtube. The youtube-like platform is dead, which is kind of natural once they bought youtube.

To your point, drive actually borrows the entire youtube front end (interface) and backend delivery optimazations :)

Buying competition and then shutting it down is bullshit. That should be illegal.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

1 minute ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Buying competition and then shutting it down is bullshit. That should be illegal.

A way to look at it is that they're acquiring the technology. I'd expect them to integrate it into some sort of new platform/pivot on the platform they already have to go towards what vessel is today. so not a complete shutdown, but an outage followed by a rebirth. 

17 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

@nicklmg well I'm sure you guys have more info on this than us (especially you in particular Nick as you handle most of the business aspects), guess we'll her the full scoop on wan

Very little info tbh - there's not much to be said. Their assets have been bought by Verizon and the platform is shutting down.

All Vessel subscribers get the month of October for free, and anyone who signed up for a full year will receive a pro rata refund.

I got a call from them yesterday about 5 mins after the news broke to inform me of it, and that they would be honoring their commitments to us. I asked about what was happening to subscribers who bought the year, and they gave me the news I mentioned above, which seems fine to me.

Outside of that there's not a lot to say lol. I expect they'll give the same info this week on WAN Show, but I wouldn't expect any new massive news to break as a result - the information we have is all pretty much public knowledge.

12 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Very little info tbh - there's not much to be said. Their assets have been bought by Verizon and the platform is shutting down.

All Vessel subscribers get the month of October for free, and anyone who signed up for a full year will receive a pro rata refund.

I got a call from them yesterday about 5 mins after the news broke to inform me of it, and that they would be honoring their commitments to us. I asked about what was happening to subscribers who bought the year, and they gave me the news I mentioned above, which seems fine to me.

Outside of that there's not a lot to say lol. I expect they'll give the same info this week on WAN Show, but I wouldn't expect any new massive news to break as a result - the information we have is all pretty much public knowledge.

On the subject of nerds sports, I'm seeing that most people are being referred to the tweet from the @LinusTech twitter account. Are you guys going to be pushing for ownership transfer/buyout of the content to LMG?  Or are there no plans/intent to require that content to be distrubuted to the larger LTT audience?  

EDIT: Reaslise that may come off as agressive, sorry about that, don't mean to offend :)  

27 minutes ago, Camofelix said:

On the subject of nerds sports, I'm seeing that most people are being referred to the tweet from the @LinusTech twitter account. Are you guys going to be pushing for ownership transfer/buyout of the content to LMG?  Or are there no plans/intent to require that content to be distrubuted to the larger LTT audience?  

EDIT: Reaslise that may come off as agressive, sorry about that, don't mean to offend :)  

There's already a clause in the agreement that lets us release it to the general public after a set amount of time. I don't know if we plan to pursue an early buyout on that, the only thing that's even relevant under that would be NerdSports which is pretty ancillary content overall.

44 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

That's good I guess :P

One question, does this means vessel subscribers have 7 days of no new videos from LTT? How am I supposed to survive for 7 days? :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

There's already a clause in the agreement that lets us release it to the general public after a set amount of time. I don't know if we plan to pursue an early buyout on that, the only thing that's even relevant under that would be NerdSports which is pretty ancillary content overall.

Gotcha, wasn't aware that there was already a transfer clause :) And yes I agree, the only thing that would be somewhat relevant to the pursuit of that option would be NerdSports. Is it governed by a separate agreement to the primary content distribution contract? 

Also I realize this may be comping dangerously close to things under an NDA, if you can't answer/ don't want to have it overly public, could we speak about it over Pm?

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's good I guess :P

One question, does this means vessel subscribers have 7 days of no new videos from LTT? How am I supposed to survive for 7 days? :/ 

Inyect yourself with enough ketamine to anesthetize yourself for about a week.

Problem solved.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

1 hour ago, Camofelix said:

Gotcha, wasn't aware that there was already a transfer clause :) And yes I agree, the only thing that would be somewhat relevant to the pursuit of that option would be NerdSports. Is it governed by a separate agreement to the primary content distribution contract? 

Also I realize this may be comping dangerously close to things under an NDA, if you can't answer/ don't want to have it overly public, could we speak about it over Pm?

There is a separate agreement.

I can't tell you what is IN that agreement, but I can tell you that it is separate from our general partnership agreement :P

Good.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

42 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

There is a separate agreement.

I can't tell you what is IN that agreement, but I can tell you that it is separate from our general partnership agreement :P

Thanks! Hope it all works out! Any thought on another way that it would be possible for users to watch LMG content add free? (both backed in and preroll?) be it another platform, done via the forum etc :)