I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry
1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

It's more of the fact that he blatantly lied then said "Oh it was just poor wording." No. You said that stuff on vessel would not stay exclusive to it, and that it would be released to youtube. This was on the WAN show when vessel was first being adopted.

Don't depend blatant lies. 

he meant the content they already made, and it's mainly because vessel pays them to do it, and they are hiring.

for me he gets the benefit of the doubt :)

@LinusTech I may be beating a dead horse here, but i legitimately joined just to chime in on this topic. Coming from some one who has never been on the forums but religiously watches LTT, Tech quickie, CSF, and all of the others, this has kind of upset me. I didn't read comments or even browse this forum until i felt like, wow something is genuinely gone wrong with LTT and some of the others. What i'm saying here is i actually saw something change in the channels to the point to where i came looking for answers. I have read from many people with the same thing i've seen, it feels like rushed topics, almost like you guys are searching for the quick easy content just to keep up for "one a day" which we all love so much. With that said it directly correlates to this Vessel shit, it legitimately seems like the things you guys did to get big and bring us in as viewers are now under a subscription fee, not even YOUR subscription fee. I think you guys are going to take a big hit from this because a lot of people's loyalty seems tested here. We understand your job is to grow as a company, but the day you change the recipe & monetize your viewer relationship, is the day i believe your growth will end my friend.

Hey call me the cheap guy, but ill continue to watch your youtube channel and use your amazon codes with my obnoxious amazon shopping addiction.

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

he meant the content they already made, and it's mainly because vessel pays them to do it, and they are hiring.

for me he gets the benefit of the doubt :)

No. He laid it on thick that he mean in the future it wouldn't be exclusive. Then claims that it was just poor phrasing. He made it very clear in a couple WAN shows.

Seems like a lot of you guys really put your heart into the LMG-community. That would at least explain this intensity of this discussion.

The main discussion seems to be about the question whether Linus lied in that video a year ago. As a big part of LMGs success is the trust we viewers have in their words I understand why this is such a big question/discussion.

There are two (main) ways the term "lying" would fit here:

1. Linus meant every "LMG"-content, also the stuff they do outside of LTT, CSF, TQ. Like their adds and this exclusive vessel series.
  2. Linus knew about the possibility of future extra content, but didn't want to raise a discussion, so he used that wording.

To be honest, I don't think that either of those are what happened.

Much more likely:

• When Linus said "all LMG content" he was thinking about everything, that the audience at that time knew and the move to Vessel was about: LTT, CSF, TQ.

Which is exactly what he explained in his post at page 7 or so.

So please stop bitching around. Yes, Linus did a mistake. But he wasn't unhonest, just inaccurate with his wording. If you take his sentence back then word by word it was technically incorrect. So what?

2 minutes ago, AugustusOne said:

Seems like a lot of you guys really put your heart into the LMG-community. That would at least explain this intensity of this discussion.

The main discussion seems to be about the question whether Linus lied in that video a year ago. As a big part of LMGs success is the trust we viewers have in their words I understand why this is such a big question/discussion.

There are two (main) ways the term "lying" would fit here:

1. Linus meant every "LMG"-content, also the stuff they do outside of LTT, CSF, TQ. Like their adds and this exclusive vessel series.
  2. Linus knew about the possibility of future extra content, but didn't want to raise a discussion, so he used that wording.

To be honest, I don't think that either of those are what happened.

Much more likely:

• When Linus said "all LMG content" he was thinking about everything, that the audience at that time knew and the move to Vessel was about: LTT, CSF, TQ.

Which is exactly what he explained in his post at page 7 or so.

So please stop bitching around. Yes, Linus did a mistake. But he wasn't unhonest, just inaccurate with his wording. If you take his sentence back then word by word it was technically incorrect. So what?

No no, he's just changed his mind. Look at this conversation on twitter a year ago.

30 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

No. He laid it on thick that he mean in the future it wouldn't be exclusive. Then claims that it was just poor phrasing. He made it very clear in a couple WAN shows.

Why are you trying so hard to put that term "lying" into this question?

LMG has multiple sources of finances to pay for the content they make:

• youtube ad revenue
  • forum contributors
  • merch
  • vessel revenue
  • sponsorships
  • patreons (in case of CSF)

On the other side there is the content they produce:

1. LinusTechTips
  2. Channel Super Fun (Yes Berkel, I name it at second position ;) )
  3. TechQuickie

But they also have content that doesn't have anything to do this any of the above: videos that are totally financed by someone else, like the ad for intel/5G.

They have done those contract works in the past and will probably continue to do so. Which is totally fine in my optinion, as it helps LMG to pay the bills and paychecks.

The series "nerd sports" or what they call it falls into this category: contract work for someone else, completely paid by that company. Therefore the provided content is property of said company. 

There is however one difference with nerd sports: It's content that most viewers of LMG would love to watch (including me), but they don't get access to it, unless they pay for Vessel.

But that is nothing to blame Linus for.

1 minute ago, AugustusOne said:

(Yes Berkel, I name it at second position ;) )

Technically thats an Unordered List (or UL if you like HTML hehehehehehehe)

it has no position >.>

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Technically you are right.

So, as an engineer I have to confirm that "technically correct" is the best form of "correct". ...

Fixed it. :)

11 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

No no, he's just changed his mind. Look at this conversation on twitter a year ago.

no as he explained (view page 7 of this thread)

he made a mistake stating that his content will be free, and that he ment the content LMG is providing the money for will be free, not nessesarly the content other people pay for.

If I go and send LMG a email asking them to shoot a personal video for me. in the end the video is mine, not theirs. so technically, the serie is produced by LMG but is owned by Vessel.

This MAY NOT BE THE CASE HERE     I don't work at LMG and it can change depending on the contract signed by both parties of an agreement. so it really depends .

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, AugustusOne said:

Technically you are right.

So, as an engineer I have to confirm that "technically correct" is the best form of "correct". ...

Fixed it. :)

grrr

15 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

no as he explained (view page 7 of this thread)

he made a mistake stating that his content will be free, and that he ment the content LMG is providing the money for will be free, not nessesarly the content other people pay for.

If I go and send LMG a email asking them to shoot a personal video for me. in the end the video is mine, not theirs. so technically, the serie is produced by LMG but is owned by Vessel.

This MAY NOT BE THE CASE HERE     I don't work at LMG and it can change depending on the contract signed by both parties of an agreement. so it really depends .

Lets not beat about the bush here. This is his content made for his viewers that is being put behind a paywall. The sole purpose of which is to entice people to subscribe to Vessel at the end of the free year.

No matter how you structure the deal or rationalize the decision, it's a 180 degree turn on what was said previously.

Like I've said previously, I don't actually mind. But lets be honest about it.

1 hour ago, KWelz said:

Nice try.  However you are still missing the point that this content was created for another entity (Vessel).  this is not a normal LTT video that they have decided to put behind a paywall.  

And your second comment seems to indicate that you do think you are entitled to all LTT content no matter who it is created for.   

These threads always show those who understand how business works and those who do not.

I really don't understand why you even wrote the first part of your post. If someone says "we will upload all content to YouTube", then proceeds to not upload all the content to YouTube, then they broke their word. Of course it was created for Vessel, since it is a Vessel exclusive thing. Obviously it was not created for YouTube since it isn't on YouTube. That still does not matter though. They still broke their word that they would not make exclusive content for Vessel. Back when everyone was freaking out that Linus would upload videos to Vessel he repeatedly said that all content would still be uploaded to YouTube. He did not say "all normal LTT videos". He said all content. He did not just say it once and it was poorly worded either. He said the same thing in multiple ways in different videos, on Twitter, on live streams etc. I find it hard to believe that he had plans to make exclusive content for Vessel back then, and then just happened to "word it poorly" in every single instance he talked about it. I can give him that he might have worded it poorly once, but not that many times.

I do understand business. I completely understand that Linus went back on his word because he could profit from it. That's business. What I don't like is that he pretends like this was planned all along and we viewers just misunderstood his previous statements, which we clearly didn't. Back then he tried to calm people down because people were worried this exact situation would happen. He said what he needed to say to calm people down. Now that people have calmed down he is fully willing to put content behind a paywall though. You might call it "how business works", but I call it being dishonest (those two words are basically synonyms).

If he had just said "yep I didn't expect things to turn out like this, but Vessel made me a very attractive offer I just didn't want to turn down" then I would have been less upset. It's the "oh that statement from a year ago was poorly worded" bullshit that makes me mad.

Every time I ever see Linus or the staff talk or type in this forum - I always hear Luke's voice. . .

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

Every time I ever see Linus or the staff talk or type in this forum - I always hear Luke's voice. . .

You should.

2 hours ago, Matthew Grimes said:

And no one complains about a new Netflix original series, the new Vessel series imo is tantamount to that. A new series, separate from the other content but made by the same people. I'm looking forward to Nerd Sports. 

No offense to LTT but comparing them to a full ledge TV series is a stretch. People complain - I sure do - about Netflix originals, especially if they are part of a franchise elsewhere (ex. Marvel) but not that much. With Netflix you are paying for actual feature films and TV shows in additional to OC. And, Netflix has since eased up and some of their originals can be found elsewhere now (itunes, amazon, etc.). Now, if Linus can get Kevin Spacey for a video THEN we can compare XP

Right now with Vessel it's pretty much either $2.99/month or $20/yr for Nerd Sports...that's it. Other major creators don't or stopped with the x-days exclusive with Vessel. Vessel is smart and is investing in the creator/group that gets them the most views with hopes that will keep users interested. And who knows, Vessel is clearly still testing stuff out. They could make Nerd Sports and similar videos free for all we know in the end and people are just jumping on the Lying Linus bandwagon. 

Please note: I think some people here are going a little overboard with the hate, just commenting on your Netflix bit.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

5 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

For Linus' posts I do hear Luke. But for Nick, I hear Nicky V xD

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I really don't understand why you even wrote the first part of your post. If someone says "we will upload all content to YouTube", then proceeds to not upload all the content to YouTube, then they broke their word. Of course it was created for Vessel, since it is a Vessel exclusive thing. Obviously it was not created for YouTube since it isn't on YouTube. That still does not matter though. They still broke their word that they would not make exclusive content for Vessel. Back when everyone was freaking out that Linus would upload videos to Vessel he repeatedly said that all content would still be uploaded to YouTube. He did not say "all normal LTT videos". He said all content. He did not just say it once and it was poorly worded either. He said the same thing in multiple ways in different videos, on Twitter, on live streams etc. I find it hard to believe that he had plans to make exclusive content for Vessel back then, and then just happened to "word it poorly" in every single instance he talked about it. I can give him that he might have worded it poorly once, but not that many times.

I do understand business. I completely understand that Linus went back on his word because he could profit from it. That's business. What I don't like is that he pretends like this was planned all along and we viewers just misunderstood his previous statements, which we clearly didn't. Back then he tried to calm people down because people were worried this exact situation would happen. He said what he needed to say to calm people down. Now that people have calmed down he is fully willing to put content behind a paywall though. You might call it "how business works", but I call it being dishonest (those two words are basically synonyms).

If he had just said "yep I didn't expect things to turn out like this, but Vessel made me a very attractive offer I just didn't want to turn down" then I would have been less upset. It's the "oh that statement from a year ago was poorly worded" bullshit that makes me mad.

Ok let me try to lay it out simply..  

Linus creates two kinds of content.   

LTT content that they make for TQ, LTT, and CSF.  These have been available to the public (us) for free.  If you want the content quicker you can get a subscription to Vessel.  However that only saves you 7 days.  It is still free in the long run. 

They also produce content for clients.  Intel is one example Linus posted, I am sure the have many more we never even hear of.  One of those clients is Vessel who has asked them to produce content that is Vessel exclusive.  This is on a different channel.   How exactly is that any different from the work LMG has done for Intel and their other clients? 

Hint: It isn't.

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

LTT content that they make for TQ, LTT, and CSF.  These have been available to the public (us) for free.  If you want the content quicker you can get a subscription to Vessel.  However that only saves you 7 days.  It is still free in the long run. 

They also produce content for clients.  Intel is one example Linus posted, I am sure the have many more we never even hear of.  One of those clients is Vessel who has asked them to produce content that is Vessel exclusive.  This is on a different channel.   How exactly is that any different from the work LMG has done for Intel and their other clients? 

In B 4 Vessel LTT torrent bootlegs.

6 minutes ago, KWelz said:

You're beyond convincing, I have no intention of trying. But I can give you the reason it's different.

Hint: It's behind a paywall.

Just now, Murdoch said:

You're beyond convincing, I have no intention of trying. But I can give you the reason it's different.

Hint: It's behind a paywall.

Your point?  They created content for someone.  That someone can do with the content what they wish.  Including putting it behind a paywall.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

15 minutes ago, KWelz said:

How exactly is that any different from the work LMG has done for Intel and their other clients? 

Yes, it is different. People care about it, because they love the "behind the scenes" and "freetime" stuff. So technically, there is no difference, but people are sad/pissed that they don't get their candy.

And you know what happens when you steal a baby's candy.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

He did not say "all normal LTT videos". He said all content. He did not just say it once and it was poorly worded either. He said the same thing in multiple ways in different videos, on Twitter, on live streams etc. I find it hard to believe that he had plans to make exclusive content for Vessel back then, and then just happened to "word it poorly" in every single instance he talked about it. I can give him that he might have worded it poorly once, but not that many times.

That makes sense though. At the time the content that LMG produced that interested Linus's main audience was all funded by LMG. He kept saying it the same way as he was trying to convey the same message and he was still operating from the same standpoint. LTT content will be available on an ad supported platform. Now a company has come and commissioned content from LMG. The fact that this content also is interesting to his normal audience isn't really relevant as Vessel owns it. It is their show that they are paying for. LMG and LTT have been used interchangeably but there is a big difference between them.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, KWelz said:

Your point?  They created content for someone.  That someone can do with the content what they wish.  Including putting it behind a paywall.  

You asked how it's different. I answered your question.

4 minutes ago, KWelz said:

It is different because the other work LMG has done such as the videos for Intel were not targeted at the usual audience. These nerd sport videos however are targeted at the same audience as their usual videos. Even Vessel made the mistake to think that it was a ChannelSuperFun video. If you can't see the difference in target audience then I am not sure what to say.

Do you see anyone here upset over not being able to watch those training videos? Of course you don't, because it's content people don't care about. This new series however is something people care about.

So that's how it is different. The target audience is different, and that is EXTREMELY important. Since you claim to know how businesses work, you should understand that.

You might have missed it so I will post it again:

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

"Hiding" video that won't interests your viewers = okay

Putting videos that would interest your viewers behind a paywall, despite having repeatedly said that it would not happen in the past = not okay

Do you honestly not see the difference?

Lol

so what you are saying is that it upsets you because it is something you are interested in.  

Once again.  I see people who seem to think they are entitled to any content LMG creates that might interest them.  

The world doesn't work that way.  

What if a cable channel came to them and asked them to do a series exclusive for that cable channel?   Would you insist it should be free to view for us because we are LMG fans.