I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry

So some people are saying that they understand it costs money but don't want the new show to be exclusive on Vessel, even if they understand it exists only because of Vessel. This is complaining 101. I have a feeling they would be more happy if there wes no new show, rather than seeing it being locked behind a pay wall. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

-edit-

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

Everybody can make mistakes. And I completly understand that you guys always need to find something or some way to innovate (and I got to say. Thank you for that !)

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - 

I think you are refferig mostly to the gpu/ssd baking and the room temperature videos ?  (might be other ones but these are the ones I personally disliked)
with the problem is that not only, the samples were waaaayyyyy too small for any kind of actual worthy information. and also that. erm.

^^ for those too lazy to click thats an older video from ltt baking a gpu

I guess its 5 years old. but I also think its not the kind of content that should even have people putting a potential idea of sucess behind it, since it doesn't really help and will most likely break the components even more.

anyway, people make mistakes, it can be me, you , Vessel or anyone else.

but Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. And not leaving us somewhat in the void.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

5 hours ago, Paragon_X said:

Well the people that are complaining do not know how the world works yet. You expect, high quality material for free and ON time.2000px-Project-triangle.svg.png
You can only choose 2 of the above

I mean free is nice but don't bitch out when Linus tries to expand his business (like the Ads they shoot for other companies). I am behind the move to have content (the exclusive series included) on Vessel because this achieves the one thing that matters: Increased Revenue, this equals more quality material at a fixed intervals. Now if the content becomes bad that's another story but since the quality is good and the content is interesting I see 0 problems. So if you cant wait 1 week for YouTube releases pay up or shut up.  

not if I make my point big ennough ! 

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

At this point it's become clear that Linus/LMG are willing to make videos just to make videos, they don't care if anyone sees them, and they don't care that the other video's quality is suffering for it. 40% off work means 60% was on work. It's a real cool story that vessel paid for it, sure they can make it exclusive. But who wanted these videos? They literally set up a patreon for CHS and now they decided that making an entire channel for them playing sports on a platform that most people can't watch was a good idea.

The entire vessel platform is a joke. I remember when everyone at LMG was like "Hey why are you guys so mad, it's still a video everyday nothing changes", except that after my 1 year trial ended I get to hear about videos that are completed on wan show, the forums and social media a week before I'll see them, do you know how frustrating that is?

"But swatson why do you feel entitled to watch their videos?" Because quite literally I am, and so are all of you. Our views are literally the only reason why LMG exists, and don't try to tell me about sponsors because guess what, views and popularity drive sponsorship. If LMG stops feeling like we're entitled to see their content maybe their in the wrong business now?

I've been watching since ncix tech tip days and I gave vessel the full 1 year trial, but this is a shitshow.

PS: Stop duplicating content or making content that would fit/be in a FAP into the workshop. That hyperthreading video was actually garbage, sorry luke.

Edited by Swatson
I like to complain

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

IT's late and I'm both hungry and tired from shooting Scrapyard Wars (which by the way is an LTT series and will be airing ad-supported on YouTube very soon for your viewing pleasure).

But there are a few points to address and you've already been patient enough.

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

These "The Boost" videos that we make on contract as a sales training resource for Intel, for example:

In much the same way, Vessel has contracted LMG the production company to create an original series for their platform. They bankrolled the whole thing, giving us an opportunity to make something that otherwise would have been too costly, and per the licensing agreement they own the right to exploit this content. It's their show until such time as they decide it's not anymore.

We played more of a "production company" role in this than we're accustomed to.

This could, and SHOULD have been communicated better, and for that I'm sorry. The community should have heard about this from us FIRST, and not from a random email newsletter, but I've been (and so has the whole team) absolutely busting ass to not only get Nerd Sports produced, but also make sure that we're keeping up with everything else that we've got going on including not having missed a single day of LTT uploads for something like 5 years..

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - it wouldn't be the first time.. And I will say, too, that honestly if a couple of the videos felt rushed then it's probably because they were.. HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

Which is another point that was brought up in this thread - "How will LMG keep its commitment to maintain the pace and quality of the other content if they're making Nerd Sports or other contractual content?"

We couldn't. We're hiring.

I've never shied away from investing in more staff or better equipment or a better facility to make sure that we're doing our best for ourselves, each other, our sponsors and our viewers. If we play our cards right, absolutely everyone wins.

Nerd Sports has been a fantastic learning experience for us, and whether we continue the series with Vessel, create other completely different web series in the future, or just say "fudge it" and flip burgers from now on, we'll be able to do those things better than we could have without having done this.

So bottom line is this. I screwed up the way I communicated "LMG content", which was meant to be content funded BY Linus Media Group rather than content funded entirely by and licensed to a 3rd party, and I screwed up in a MUCH bigger way the LACK of communication about this project. Sorry guys.

I honestly don't see the issue. It should be expected that someone is going to want to grow their business and expand it to create more stability as well as opportunity. Especially a company involved in content production.  If LMG came out of nowhere and said "all of our content is vessel exclusive, thanks for the lift scrubs' that would something to have a hissy-fit over.   But Vessel PAYING a production company that has ALWAYS BEEN a production company to produce exclusive content for them isn't exactly something that anyone here or anywhere else should be surprised by. And it's certainly not something anyone should be upset by.  I hope it works to placate others but while I have had issue with one thing LMG has done, this is not  it and I don't feel an apology is even owed in this case. 

7 hours ago, Ryz said:

I do miss your hardware reviews

but companies need to put them on the market too xD

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

So...am I misunderstood or??

When you guys said "scripted", do you mean that it is a biased review???

Or it is just a scripted review instead of a more causal one ?

there is no such thing as a unbiased review

every is biased in their own way and they are wrong to tell you they are not, in my personal biased opinion.

anyways, scripting means they review it, then they put on text for the teleprompt to say what they need to say (wether its good or bad) about it.  its basically a plan for the video. but not nessesarly for the content.

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

To my knowledge they only got rid of ads for paid users. There is still an ad-supported tier (unless I grossly misunderstood the email they sent out today).

wait, so there is a way to watchon vessel without paying ?

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

wait, so there is a way to watchon vessel without paying ?

Yes, but not "7 day exclusive content"

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Only for paid subscribers.

Then what is the bloody point of Vessel? Early access? nope cos that isn't on all tiers. Exclusive series? no cos that's not on all tiers. How about supporting Content creators? NO because 5 second ADs make tiny amounts of money which doesn't really help content creators.

Anyways, Your boss lied to us. Frankly, i'm not impressed. And I am not watching LTT videos anymore.

its called a mistake, and everybody can make them,

I don't work at lmg, but afaik being any kind of content creator is not an easy job. mistakes happen. and its not always easy to get back on your feets and make everyone happy.  

Actually im sorry I was wrong. its pretty much Impossible.

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Yes, but not "7 day exclusive content"

oh ok

i guess vessel has noticed that the ONLY reason ANYONE goes to there site is LTT and once our free subscriptions are gone and from what i have read MOST will not resub expressively because of this so well done Vessel on digging your own grave. 

also those boost videos done for intel are not behind any paywall. its just exclusively on the intel site witch is fine

Aselwyn1

Just now, aselwyn1 said:

i guess vessel has noticed that the ONLY reason ANYONE goes to there site is LTT and once our free subscriptions are gone and from what i have read MOST will not resub expressively because of this so well done Vessel on digging your own grave

no, not at all

I mean, there is some MythBuster's content there, wich was fun
there is HardwareCanucks wich I love.

there is minute earth and minute physics. and tons of other channels.

Vessel is not going anywhere afaik.

6 hours ago, Tigerbomb8 said:

You really should grow the fuck up. How can he be a Sellout? Linus Media Group is a fucking video production company. Whether it's for a third party of for one of Linus's youTube channels, making videos is what he does..

If it wasn't for Vessel, this new series would never have been made.. So either be grateful and enjoy it, or pretend it was never made and move on with your life.. 

This is a perfect example of selling out.

Back when Vessel was announced, Linus made sure to state, over and over, that the content was just going to be early access, and he would still upload to YouTube. To quote Linus "everything we release will still go on YouTube as well", and "all Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free and ad supported on both YouTube and Vessel" and I am fairly sure he said similar things in other videos and posts as well.

Then Vessel offers him money and oops, all of a sudden all the previous statements were just "badly worded" and no longer true. When it was convenient for him to say the content would go up on YouTube (back when people were very skeptical of Vessel) he said just that, but now when things has changed and he can make more money, he goes against it. That is selling out.

I will neither enjoy this new series (because I won't renew Vessel) and I won't pretend like it was never made because I was lied to, and so were you. If you are fine with being lied to then good for you I guess. What bothers me though is this sleazy attitude Linus has where he is going "oh it was just badly worded and miscommunication" instead of being honest and saying it how it actually is. The circumstances has changed and he is going back on his words.

Edit:

People seem to have this really backwards idea that anyone who criticizes a decision is a hater who just wants to hate. The exact opposite is true. The people voicing their opinions regarding bad decisions are the fans that truly cares. "The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference", and I see a lot of people being indifferent in this thread.

Just now, LAwLz said:

This is a perfect example of selling out.

Back when Vessel was announced, Linus made sure to state, over and over, that the content was just going to be early access, and he would still upload to YouTube. To quote Linus "everything we release will still go on YouTube as well", and "all Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free and ad supported on both YouTube and Vessel" and I am fairly sure he said similar things in other videos and posts as well.

Then Vessel offers him money and oops, all of a sudden all the previous statements were just "badly worded" and no longer true. When it was convenient for him to say the content would go up on YouTube (back when people were very skeptical of Vessel) he said just that, but now when things has changed and he can make more money, he goes against it. That is selling out.

I will neither enjoy this new series (because I won't renew Vessel) and I won't pretend like it was never made because I was lied to, and so were you. If you are fine with being lied to then good for you I guess. What bothers me though is this sleazy attitude Linus has where he is going "oh it was just badly worded and miscommunication" instead of being honest and saying it how it actually is. The circumstances has changed and he is going back on his words.

lol

bein a sellout is getting money to write good reviews about a product
like idk, if Raser sent a blade 14 and some 15k$ (random money and speculations. idk if it happens or not)   and linus goes around for a year saying its amazing and all wether he thinks it or not.

thats being a sellout.

They're a video production company.

I could pay them to make a video for me and only allow people to view it if they pay me £10.00.

That is what Vessel have done. If you don't want to pay for non LTT content which Linus' production company has made, you don't have to. Just because Linus started a channel and business on YouTube does not mean us subscribers are entitled to anything he touches for free.

The people who are referring to it as a pay wall...I'm sorry guys - you are complaining about nothing and you're not opening your mind to the simple reality of it.

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

lol

bein a sellout is getting money to write good reviews about a product
like idk, if Raser sent a blade 14 and some 15k$ (random money and speculations. idk if it happens or not)   and linus goes around for a year saying its amazing and all wether he thinks it or not.

thats being a sellout.

No, that would be a shill. Shilling and selling out are two different things.

Shill: a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

Sellout: a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement.

There is no way I'm reading all the 11 pages here xD but I think I got a good picture.

Yeah, it sucks that a series associated with LMG is a Vessel exclusive. But, if it's true that Vessel funded it -with the obvious aim to gain new viewers- than people shouldn't be that upset. How was Linus going to know that Vessel would ask him to help with a new series a year after making the "all our content will be free" statement? Even then, it's just featuring LMG people, it is not their production SO Linus didn't lie. Plus, if the series would have never existed w/o Vessel funding than Vessel has the right to require it be an exclusive series.

I was annoyed at the email but after seeing Nick and Linus's replies I get it.

SIDENOTE: Is the series a paid-vessel exclusive or is it free on vessel after the grace period? Still confused on that.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, that would be a shill. Shilling and selling out are two different things.

Shill: a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

Sellout: a person who compromises his or her personal values, integrity, talent, or the like, for money or personal advancement.

And he does neither. He's only taking the money from Vessel for two reasons (in my mind, I can't speak on behalf of LMG, Linus or any employees of LMG): 

1. To expand LMG, investing in more staff, better hardware etc, to create better content.

2. To create a great series for Vessel.

Neither of those are something I believe are problems, though your thoughts may vary I guess (anybody's thoughts, not LAwLz, who I don't believe is attacking Linus and I apologise if this comes accross that way) 

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

I see a lot of people here who seem to think they are entitled to content created by LMG.  

I am not sure I understand why.   They don't just create content for your enjoyment.  They create content to make money.  Some of this is released on YT and Vessel for us to watch but the rest is for clients.   

To be fair this new series seems to fall into a bit of a grey area to be sure.  It is similar to content they have created for YT before, however it was created at the behest of Vessel.  But regardless of for who or why it was created, none of us have any "right" to the content.   

I don't see anyone complaining that they can't seen any of the content LMG has created for any other clients.   And if they did they would be wrong then as well.  

I doubt I will be renewing Vessel.  It just isn't worth it to me.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I wasn't worried at all, as the email I received clearly said this was going to be a NEW Channel SuperFun. And even when you make the occasional videos for NCIX, we all knew it was paid for content. I think people fly off the handle way to easily in this day and age. Dividing True Comments for Trolling Comments is never an easy deal.

I got an email from vessel and it didn't say anything about LTT so it's just based on what you watch.

We love Linus Media Group! I've got my whole family and several members of my local church watching on a regular basis. I am a contributor to the forum, Vessel subscriber and a Channel Super Fun Patron. Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I am trying to say that I enjoy the content that LMG makes. It is usually fun and gives a great laugh. To that end, because I can, I try to support the content in any way I can.

I was very confused by the Nerd Sports Vessel email, but so it seems was everyone else. Thank you @LinusTech for clearing that up.

People seem to forget how much of an impact Vessel has had on LMG. It's been huge. The videos over the past year have been awesome. Some clearly rushed, but that is what happens sometimes.

Support the "eh" Team. 

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

22 minutes ago, CGurrell said:

And he does neither. He's only taking the money from Vessel for two reasons (in my mind, I can't speak on behalf of LMG, Linus or any employees of LMG): 

1. To expand LMG, investing in more staff, better hardware etc, to create better content.

2. To create a great series for Vessel.

Neither of those are something I believe are problems, though your thoughts may vary I guess (anybody's thoughts, not LAwLz, who I don't believe is attacking Linus and I apologise if this comes accross that way) 

And no one complains about a new Netflix original series, the new Vessel series imo is tantamount to that. A new series, separate from the other content but made by the same people. I'm looking forward to Nerd Sports. 

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt