I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry

9 hours ago, nicklmg said:

We can't get into specifics in terms of $/view, so I would just say use whatever platform suits you best. Views are all worth a lot to us (in many more ways that strictly $$).

If you're looking for an ad-free service, Vessel is there already, YT Red is yet to be announced in most regions.

the best thing ever would be: YT red with 1 week early access

11 minutes ago, Matthew Grimes said:

And no one complains about a new Netflix original series, the new Vessel series imo is tantamount to that. A new series, separate from the other content but made by the same people. I'm looking forward to Nerd Sports. 

Because nobody at Netflix ever went "yeah, all our Netflix shows will be free and available on other platforms at no extra cost" just a year before doing a 180 turn.

I think the biggest fear isn't the fact that they are doing a new series but that it will (is that even english? sry..non native speaker) reduce the quality of the other videos because there is less time to produce them. New people working there might help with that but it doesn't gloss over the fact that the main characters will have less time doing individual videos.

Just now, LAwLz said:

Because nobody at Netflix ever went "yeah, all our Netflix shows will be free and available on other platforms at no extra cost" just a year before doing a 180 turn.

Ask Linus to release all the other content he has created for Clients.   You seem to think you have the right to them.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Just now, KWelz said:

Ask Linus to release all the other content he has created for Clients.   You seem to think you have the right to them.  

It's more of the fact that he blatantly lied then said "Oh it was just poor wording." No. You said that stuff on vessel would not stay exclusive to it, and that it would be released to youtube. This was on the WAN show when vessel was first being adopted.

Don't depend blatant lies. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This is a perfect example of selling out.

Back when Vessel was announced, Linus made sure to state, over and over, that the content was just going to be early access, and he would still upload to YouTube. To quote Linus "everything we release will still go on YouTube as well", and "all Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free and ad supported on both YouTube and Vessel" and I am fairly sure he said similar things in other videos and posts as well.

Then Vessel offers him money and oops, all of a sudden all the previous statements were just "badly worded" and no longer true. When it was convenient for him to say the content would go up on YouTube (back when people were very skeptical of Vessel) he said just that, but now when things has changed and he can make more money, he goes against it. That is selling out.

I will neither enjoy this new series (because I won't renew Vessel) and I won't pretend like it was never made because I was lied to, and so were you. If you are fine with being lied to then good for you I guess. What bothers me though is this sleazy attitude Linus has where he is going "oh it was just badly worded and miscommunication" instead of being honest and saying it how it actually is. The circumstances has changed and he is going back on his words.

This is ridiculously solid reasoning. Anybody arguing against this is not being objective.

With that said. I'd argue that we all knew Linus would do something like this if Vessel offered him enough money. Nothing in his LMG history has told me that he'd readily turn down the offer of an easy buck. I mean, once you've integrated ad spots into your vids selling "butt wipes", being offered real money and resources to make videos is hardly going to feel like "selling out". Edit: this may seem like I'm crapping on him, I'm not, with an ad supported model, selling ad spots is par for the course. Think of it from his perspective, if a company offered you money to straight up make videos, something that you love doing. How difficult would it be to turn it down.

No the crux of the issue is whether he is selling his audience out, which I don't think he is tbh, it's just not that important of a "series" for most people to care (or in less derogatory terms, it's like a bonus series). To completely alienate his audience, he'd probably need to hide the majority of his content behind a paywall, which would most likely kill LMG in a week.

I think the community has some questions for @LinusTech. Obviously it's up to him which to answer, if any, but hopefully he sees this and can put some issues to rest:

1. Will the Nerd Sports content ever not be behind a paywall on Vessel? Will it eventually be released for free at a later date, similar to other Vessel content?

2. Will Nerd Sports be a series, or a one-off video?

3. Has the filming of Nerd Sports impacted any other content produced by LTT? 

4. The email from Vessel has claimed the new content to be a CSF feature, which we believe is not true at this point in time. Have you got any updates regarding this matter?

5. The general complaints about the new content have been that expected results have been found, e.g. in the Liquid Cooling heating up the room video, the expected result is that no energy is ever lost (thanks, physics...), so the heat output should be the same.

6. Can we expect some kind of schedule at any point in the future (besides days where NDAs finish) Things like Holy S**t Sundays, Workbench Wednesdays and other alliteration based days?

And finally... 

7. When can we expect the release of the new Scrapyard Wars?

If anyone has any questions they want to add, just reply with them and I'll add them to this. Like I said earlier, no guarantee Linus decides to respond at all (I'm not thinking he will, he sounds very busy at the moment with all of the content coming out) but hopefully we can get some clarification soon.

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

8 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

It's more of the fact that he blatantly lied then said "Oh it was just poor wording." No. You said that stuff on vessel would not stay exclusive to it, and that it would be released to youtube. This was on the WAN show when vessel was first being adopted.

Don't depend blatant lies. 

He didn't lie because this is not normal LTT content.  It is a series created for Vessel and funded by Vessel.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

16 hours ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

I understand they have to make a living but I absolutely refuse to pay for a video streaming service only to watch one piece of content. It's like paying for Netflix only to watch one series of interest like House of Cards as the rest are on a free ad supported platform.

This is exactly the reason why piracy exist. People want content but the owners refuse to provide it on accessible and/or reasonable platforms for any number of reasons.

This times x1000 for me.  I can only see them putting more and more content behind pay walls. Well good luck to them. :)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

15 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Nice strawman. I never said anything about having "the right" to all the content. I already addressed that earlier in the thread.

The difference between "all the other content he has created for clients", such as the Intel training videos are not targeted at his average viewers. These Vessel exclusive videos are however targeted at that audience.

"Hiding" video that won't interests your viewers = okay

Putting videos that would interest your viewers behind a paywall, despite having repeatedly said that it would not happen in the past = not okay

See the difference?

2 minutes ago, KWelz said:

He didn't lie because this is not normal LTT content.  It is a series created for Vessel and funded by Vessel.   

Nice mental gymnastics. You should apply for the Olympics. Sadly, Linus never said his statements only applied to "normal LTT content". He said it applied to all content.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Nice strawman. I never said anything about having "the right" to all the content. I already addressed that earlier in the thread.

The difference between "all the other content he has created for clients", such as the Intel training videos are not targeted at his average viewers. These Vessel exclusive videos are however targeted at that audience.

Putting videos that would interest your viewers behind a paywall, despite having repeatedly said that it would not happen in the past = not okay

See the difference?

Nice mental gymnastics. You should apply for the Olympics. Sadly, Linus never said his statements only applied to "normal LTT content". He said it applied to all content.

In life, in business, in everything, things change. Linus has made a decision that, for me, is a business decision, decided to generate revenue to help the business grow. That's business, you make money and use it to expand. If one video/series behind a paywall generates revenue for LMG, enough to hire some more staff or get some new hardware in to review, or generates enough cash that they can get special guests involved in Scrapyard Wars and other series, then that's fine by me.

Also as I explained earlier, he didnt lie. The definition of a lie implies intention.

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

Just now, CGurrell said:

In life, in business, in everything, things change. Linus has made a decision that, for me, is a business decision, decided to generate revenue to help the business grow. That's business, you make money and use it to expand. If one video/series behind a paywall generates revenue for LMG, enough to hire some more staff or get some new hardware in to review, or generates enough cash that they can get special guests involved in Scrapyard Wars and other series, then that's fine by me.

Until more and more content hides behind paywalls, and the price keeps going up.

If he has gone back on what he said once, what is to stop him again when it financially suits him, or better yet if money speaks so much, how honest are his reviews really? their is a fine line to cross, and I am undecided if he is crossing it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

See the difference?

Nice try.  However you are still missing the point that this content was created for another entity (Vessel).  this is not a normal LTT video that they have decided to put behind a paywall.  

And your second comment seems to indicate that you do think you are entitled to all LTT content no matter who it is created for.   

These threads always show those who understand how business works and those who do not.   

6 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Until more and more content hides behind paywalls, and the price keeps going up.

If he has gone back on what he said once, what is to stop him again when it financially suits him, or better yet if money speaks so much, how honest are his reviews really? their is a fine line to cross, and I am undecided if he is crossing it.

That's a pretty big jump, like wider than the Grand Canyon. I trust Linus and LMG to never take money to do a biased review. Heck they publicly blasted the new Corsair Gaming logo on RGB keyboards, cut it out and replaced it... in a video sponsored by Corsair RGB keyboards. I think that sums up well how unbiased Linus's reviews are.

EDIT: Added the link 

Just now, KWelz said:

Nice try.  However you are still missing the point that this content was created for another entity (Vessel).  this is not a normal LTT video that they have decided to put behind a paywall.  

And your second comment seems to indicate that you do think you are entitled to all LTT content no matter who it is created for.   

These threads always show those who understand how business works and those who do not.   

Business can have it's laws, but the word of a person applies to the rest of humanity, not just those interested in their bank balances. 

And often that word can carry more weight.

3 minutes ago, CGurrell said:

That's a pretty big jump, like wider than the Grand Canyon. I trust Linus and LMG to never take money to do a biased review. Heck they publicly blasted the new Corsair Gaming logo on RGB keyboards, cut it out and replaced it... in a video sponsored by Corsair RGB keyboards. I think that sums up well how unbiased Linus's reviews are.

EDIT: Added the link 

You may have totally gone over the part where I say I am undecided, had I been absolute in my opinion, I would not be posting here.  

Just now, Kierax said:

Business can have it's laws, but the word of a person applies to the rest of humanity, not just those interested in their bank balances. 

And often that word can carry more weight.

And Linus has stayed true to his word.  Unless you want to lawyer his wording, which is what many people are trying to do.  

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

You may have totally gone over the part where I say I am undecided, had I been absolute in my opinion, I would not be posting here.  

I was responding to the "if money speaks so much, how honest are his reviews really?" part, sorry that wasn't clear

1 minute ago, KWelz said:

And Linus has stayed true to his word.  Unless you want to lawyer his wording, which is what many people are trying to do.  

Time can only tell Kwelz.  I am going nowhere, and will watch his content.  

I've said my piece.

I will watch the content till it no longer interests me or he does something unethical.   

Sadly the Pizza warmer is close to both. 

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Vessel did by saying it was a Channel Super Fun video exclusive to Vessel. Something they clearly said they wouldn't do.

Linus denies this and claims this is an error on Vessel's part. I'm skeptical and still waiting for Vessel to officially confirm their mistake (if there is one)

The trailer for the new content was uploaded under a new channel. It's not CSF content and it's not on CSF. It's being uploaded on a channel called Nerd Sports. I had to sub to that channel as well despite being subbed to all of Linus's channels. Vessel has messed up PR before with Linus's audience when they talked about getting the new office. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

See.. Here's the thing... I don't mind you guys making exclusive content, I really don't. (I would never pay to see it)

What's bothering me is I honestly don't believe for one second you "worded" it wrong to begin with. I think you meant every word you said but when they put an offer on the table it was too good to reject. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, that's how the world works and if anything I'm happy you guys are growing as a brand.

That being said... You don't owe me anything but I'd appreciate and respect the truth so much more.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

premium locked content for only payed audience?

well shit!

Its-Just-Business.jpg

Details separate people.

5 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I will watch the content till it no longer interests me or he does something unethical.   

lolz

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

22 minutes ago, KWelz said:

yeah

I mean, I gave it 5 minutes and alredy found a better way of doing this. sooooo yeah

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004