I think LTT makes up a majority of Vessel views...

Henry
Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

So...am I misunderstood or??

When you guys said "scripted", do you mean that it is a biased review???

Or it is just a scripted review instead of a more causal one ?

You are very much misunderstood.

they are not Biased, the reason they are scripted is to cram as much information as possible into the video.

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

So...am I misunderstood or??

When you guys said "scripted", do you mean that it is a biased review???

Or it is just a scripted review instead of a more causal one ?

,,,They mean there is a physical script written out by the LTT team, post gathering of their thoughts on the item that they follow to convey all the points they need to

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, Megazero said:

"Scripted" here mean that they have to write the script of what they are going to say in the video before filming, and when filming they read it on a screen next to the camera instead of thinking of lines and words on the fly as they filming. In no way it is biased. 

oh....okay... I misunderstood.

opps

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Sorry Linus But I have to be frank and realistic.

Your "1 week later on youtube" idea made me lose interest in your videos.

I only watch your videos if I happen to browsing youtube and I see your videos in my recommended section. Other than that I don't really watch them.

I can't commit to any sort of donation due to financial constraints so I just watch and see the ADs on YouTube.

IF vessel had an AD supported tier I would be all for it BUt then it wouldn't support you as well.

Vessel does have an ad supported tier 

Just now, Nic said:

Vessel does have an ad supported tier 

Not anymore. they got rid of ADs.

I mean exclusively ADs with NO Payments whatsoever.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

"Scripted" here mean that they have to write the script of what they are going to say in the video before filming, and when filming they read it on a screen next to the camera instead of thinking of lines and words on the fly as they filming. In no way it is biased. 

the script is actually in from of the lens. it's on a prompter that's why it seems like the host is looking at the viewer.

Just now, amintha1992 said:

the script is actually in from of the lens. it's on a prompter that's why it seems like the host is looking at the viewer.

In front of the lens is still next to the camera isnt it ^^ I know it's like that so their eyes kinda glue to the screen.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

In front of the lens is still next to the camera isnt it 

OK

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well, another reason to not review my Vessel account. Fuck exclusive content and fuck you Linus for lying (or as you prefer to call it, "poor wording").

Just admit that you are a sellout. You can't compare it to the Intel training videos because those videos are not aimed at the same demographic as your regular LinusTechTips videos, but these ones are.

I completely agree except a little bit less harsh wording about @LinusTech.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

They got rid of ads for the paid tier you can still watch content with ads on vessel without paying them anything. you don't get them a week early and I don't know if the new Nerd Sports series will be only for the paid tier or if it will be released on both at the same time or with a delay of a week like normal LTT videos.     

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

To my knowledge they only got rid of ads for paid users. There is still an ad-supported tier (unless I grossly misunderstood the email they sent out today).

1 minute ago, Nic said:

They got rid of ads for the paid tier you can still watch content with ads on vessel without paying them anything. you don't get them a week early and I don't know if the new Nerd Sports series will be only for the paid tier or if it will be released on both at the same time or with a delay of a week like normal LTT videos.     

Then what's the point if I don't get them a week earlier?

Just now, nicklmg said:

To my knowledge they only got rid of ads for paid users. There is still an ad-supported tier (unless I grossly misunderstood the email they sent out today).

Is there still 1 week early access? If so then i'll try out the AD supported version. Otherwise nope.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

IT's late and I'm both hungry and tired from shooting Scrapyard Wars (which by the way is an LTT series and will be airing ad-supported on YouTube very soon for your viewing pleasure).

But there are a few points to address and you've already been patient enough.

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

These "The Boost" videos that we make on contract as a sales training resource for Intel, for example:

In much the same way, Vessel has contracted LMG the production company to create an original series for their platform. They bankrolled the whole thing, giving us an opportunity to make something that otherwise would have been too costly, and per the licensing agreement they own the right to exploit this content. It's their show until such time as they decide it's not anymore.

We played more of a "production company" role in this than we're accustomed to.

This could, and SHOULD have been communicated better, and for that I'm sorry. The community should have heard about this from us FIRST, and not from a random email newsletter, but I've been (and so has the whole team) absolutely busting ass to not only get Nerd Sports produced, but also make sure that we're keeping up with everything else that we've got going on including not having missed a single day of LTT uploads for something like 5 years..

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - it wouldn't be the first time.. And I will say, too, that honestly if a couple of the videos felt rushed then it's probably because they were.. HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

Which is another point that was brought up in this thread - "How will LMG keep its commitment to maintain the pace and quality of the other content if they're making Nerd Sports or other contractual content?"

We couldn't. We're hiring.

I've never shied away from investing in more staff or better equipment or a better facility to make sure that we're doing our best for ourselves, each other, our sponsors and our viewers. If we play our cards right, absolutely everyone wins.

Nerd Sports has been a fantastic learning experience for us, and whether we continue the series with Vessel, create other completely different web series in the future, or just say "fudge it" and flip burgers from now on, we'll be able to do those things better than we could have without having done this.

So bottom line is this. I screwed up the way I communicated "LMG content", which was meant to be content funded BY Linus Media Group rather than content funded entirely by and licensed to a 3rd party, and I screwed up in a MUCH bigger way the LACK of communication about this project. Sorry guys.

I think your channels are great and fun (I have been watching you since you hosted ncix solo), BUT the recent videos (mainly luke's) about sticking network stuff to a piece of wood or making a pc to heat Pizza are the ones that piss me off. Also, I suggest you guys make an internal vlog like the moving ones, those were fun.

2 minutes ago, adunhell said:

I think your channels are great and fun (I have been watching you since you hosted ncix solo), BUT the recent videos (mainly luke's) about sticking network stuff to a piece of wood or making a pc to heat Pizza are the ones that piss me off. Also, I suggest you guys make an internal vlog like the moving ones, those were fun.

I didn't like those two videos either. at least the Pizza one was absurd. Other one was just nothing. didn't have anything useful.

7 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I give up. I'm not watching anymore LTT videos. This is bullshit. I hope you're happy now, after lying to your customers (in this case viewers). You know what happens when a real business does that in the real word? people don't eat, lights struggle to stay on and The business owners get their head out of their ass and fix their mistake.

linus.PNG.36c2647e07ed12278e6dd8aa6d98a9

Then what's the point if I don't get them a week earlier?

Personal preference I guess. I know that the ads I get from them are considerably better than the garbage that is ad-sense. If they do release their original series to the ad supported tier it would be more enticing.     

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

IT's late and I'm both hungry and tired from shooting Scrapyard Wars (which by the way is an LTT series and will be airing ad-supported on YouTube very soon for your viewing pleasure).

But there are a few points to address and you've already been patient enough.

I said LMG content would always be free. This was poor wording on my part. There has always been content produced by me and my team that was not necessarily available on a free platform like YouTube.

These "The Boost" videos that we make on contract as a sales training resource for Intel, for example:

In much the same way, Vessel has contracted LMG the production company to create an original series for their platform. They bankrolled the whole thing, giving us an opportunity to make something that otherwise would have been too costly, and per the licensing agreement they own the right to exploit this content. It's their show until such time as they decide it's not anymore.

We played more of a "production company" role in this than we're accustomed to.

This could, and SHOULD have been communicated better, and for that I'm sorry. The community should have heard about this from us FIRST, and not from a random email newsletter, but I've been (and so has the whole team) absolutely busting ass to not only get Nerd Sports produced, but also make sure that we're keeping up with everything else that we've got going on including not having missed a single day of LTT uploads for something like 5 years..

With that said, quantity isn't everything, and I've noticed that not everyone has appreciated the LTT content as much as usual lately, but it's hard for me to tell if that's because they don't like our new direction (fewer reviews, and more exploratory or experimental videos) or if they just saw a video or two they didn't like and raised hell in the comment section - it wouldn't be the first time.. And I will say, too, that honestly if a couple of the videos felt rushed then it's probably because they were.. HOWEVER, the primary reason for the rushed videos was  the entire week we're taking off this week to film Scrapyard Wars Season 4, which will be premiering on Vessel sometime in the next few weeks or so, followed by a release on YouTube 1 week later, which is the standard agreement for OUR content that is paid for by LMG or our sponsors.

Nerd Sports was shot 40% during evenings and weekends with employees taking time in lieu later on when we hire some more staff or when things slow down a little. We were careful to avoid disrupting any of our other commitments because imo you guys deserve the best we can deliver.

Which is another point that was brought up in this thread - "How will LMG keep its commitment to maintain the pace and quality of the other content if they're making Nerd Sports or other contractual content?"

We couldn't. We're hiring.

I've never shied away from investing in more staff or better equipment or a better facility to make sure that we're doing our best for ourselves, each other, our sponsors and our viewers. If we play our cards right, absolutely everyone wins.

Nerd Sports has been a fantastic learning experience for us, and whether we continue the series with Vessel, create other completely different web series in the future, or just say "fudge it" and flip burgers from now on, we'll be able to do those things better than we could have without having done this.

So bottom line is this. I screwed up the way I communicated "LMG content", which was meant to be content funded BY Linus Media Group rather than content funded entirely by and licensed to a 3rd party, and I screwed up in a MUCH bigger way the LACK of communication about this project. Sorry guys.

The people who want to see you succeed Linus wont have a problem with paying the small amount of money a year to see your content. Congratulations on getting the deal with Vessel I'm excited to watch it. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the people who are complaining. You're doing a swell job.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I give up. I'm not watching anymore LTT videos. This is bullshit. I hope you're happy now, after lying to your customers (in this case viewers). You know what happens when a real business does that in the real word? people don't eat, lights struggle to stay on and The business owners get their head out of their ass and fix their mistake.

The ad-supported tier of Vessel does not give you early access. Thought that was implied, but I guess I should have been more clear. Early access is only available to paid subscribers on Vessel, the ad-supported tier is for watching videos once they are available everywhere (YT etc.).

linus.PNG.36c2647e07ed12278e6dd8aa6d98a9

All LTT's videos are still exclusive on vessel paid tier for a week before being released on youtube and vessel free tier, this is not changing. 

17 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Do you know if this new series will be available for the ad-supported tier, or will it only be for Vessel's paid subscribers?

If the ad-supported tier can watch it, would I be right to assume that it will also be a 1 week early access type deal for the paid members like the rest of your content?

Damn, people are reacting

9 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

The ad-supported tier of Vessel does not give you early access. Thought that was implied, but I guess I should have been more clear. Early access is only available to paid subscribers on Vessel, the ad-supported tier is for watching videos once they are available everywhere (YT etc.).

Holy crap, this is mental, people are acting like you guys kidnapped their family pet and murdered it in front of them smh

3 minutes ago, FourCorners said:

Do you know if this new series will be available for the ad-supported tier, or will it only be for Vessel's paid subscribers?

If the ad-supported tier can watch it, would I be right to assume that it will also be a 1 week early access type deal for the paid members like the rest of your content?

Only for paid subscribers.

7 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Then what is the bloody point of Vessel? Early access? nope cos that isn't on all tiers. Exclusive series? no cos that's not on all tiers. How about supporting Content creators? NO because 5 second ADs make tiny amounts of money which doesn't really help content creators.

Anyways, Your boss lied to us. Frankly, i'm not impressed. And I am not watching LTT videos anymore.

So you say you're "hiring" Wouldn't a big new enterprise like a new show at the behest of Vessel require you to hire before you start shooting not to affect your current content (Some of it which is partially crowd funded no less) and also your current employees well being?

I know Vessel probably made it worth your while but even if they're in a hurry to convert us free trial subscribers most people probably are biting back because Vessel completely fucked you over with their announcement as well. This feels rushed, disorganized, even more so than what you guys usually work like.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

So you say you're "hiring" Wouldn't a big new enterprise like a new show at the behest of Vessel require you to hire before you start shooting not to affect your current content (Some of it which is partially crowd funded no less) and also your current employees well being?

I know Vessel probably made it worth your while but even if they're in a hurry to convert us free trial subscribers most people probably are biting back because Vessel completely fucked you over with their announcement as well. This feels rushed, disorganized, even more so than what you guys usually work like.

To be fair, they did hire that one new guy recently they were reluctant to put on camera and let slip his name on one of the live streams (can't remember it for the life of me).