Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
6 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Not interested in revolvers tbh.  I'm looking for something super slim, while not as small as a sub compact .380.  I already have an LCP for that.  The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0 fits right in between my LCP and my PA-63 in terms of size, while (with the 8 round magazine) still having a (somewhat) full grip.  I can conceal a full length grip, I have a hard time concealing a doublestack like a Glock 26 or 19.

Have you looked at the Walther PPS? I have no experience with it, but it may be another option in that size area as well.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Have you looked at the Walther PPS? I have no experience with it, but it may be another option in that size area as well.

I have not.  At this point, I think I'm going to stick to the S&W though.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Got my job to order me in a Shield 2.0, 9mm.  

8 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Got my job to order me in a Shield 2.0, 9mm.  

Solid choice, they are a pretty proven ccw gun at this point

On 8/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, Jito463 said:

I am not a lawyer, so take my word with a grain (or more) of salt, but my very limited understanding of Canadian law is that it's pretty much illegal for you to have more than 5 round magazines.  Unless you actually meant clip (as in, to load a fixed magazine), in which case I have no idea.  I did find a .22 speed loader in a quick search online, but I don't know if they ship to Canada or if it's even legal there.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1015314374?pid=511932

On 8/27/2019 at 2:09 AM, Chronified said:

I know that having clips larger than 5 rounds stored with your gun is illegal in Canada, but what if it it's not with a gun? Would it be illegal for me to have a clip that holds over 5 rounds if I don't even have a gun?

I go out to the range with my mom (coolest mom ever award goes to) quite often and she has a 5-shot clip since that's all we can legally have here in Canada, where can I find a clip online that'll hold more? Really hard to get into the zone with only 5 shots. 

Already spoke to the range marshal, he's cool with it as long as it's not stored with the gun owner.  Regardless of legality, I'd like to have a banana clip but have 0 idea where to find one lol. 

Just a .22 riffle for anyone wondering, could barely break a bone with it. I need to lob in shots further than 50 yards lol

Also not a lawyer but am Canadian. 

Magazines in Canada are controlled themselves and under a couple different rules. I think Chronified you  might be getting hunting laws or gun club rules and firearm laws confused. Hunting laws will be different between provinces but I believe most are three rounds for shotguns and five rounds for semi automatic centerfire rifles. Some gun clubs have a load no more then five rule. 

As for firearms law it is not the firearm that has a magazine capacity restriction but the magazine. So under Canadian law the magazines are controlled. We are also allowed to modify higher capacity magazines to only hold the legal capacity. But this must happen before it is brought into Canada. Magazines that are designed and manufactured for use in a handgun are limited to ten rounds. Magazines that are designed and manufactured for use in a semi automatic centerfire long gun(rifle or shotgun) are limited to five rounds and    Magazines that are designed and manufactured for use in a rimfire long gun or manual action long gun are not limited.  So this is where things get interesting.  There are all the pistol caliber carbines lately that use pistol magazines. They are legal at ten rounds if you are using a pistol magazine. If someone was to make a magazine specifically for the carbine then that magazine would be limited to five rounds. There have also been problems lately with some manufacturers branding there magazines as for two types of firearms. The S&W MP15-22 they make both a rifle and pistol. The rifle would normally have no limit and the pistol would be ten rounds. However as they make one magazine and sell it for both the rifle and pistol the government has taken the position that the more restrictive ten round limit applies.  They are also trying to do this to Ruger 10/22 magazines. 

There are also exemptions to these rules. There are a list of exemptions like the M1 Garand is still allowed eight rounds.  

So if you are looking for a magazine for a .22 rimfire rifle there is probably a legal magazine larger then five rounds. If you let us know what the rifle is we can probably help.   

On 8/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, Slumberjack said:

Just standard FMJs, but my issue with it wasn't it being snappy or anything. My issue is the trigger, it's just as mediocre as every other glock, and in that small a package, the safety blade causes trigger finger blisters like nobody's business! All things you could totally fix with aftermarket parts like every glock, but I don't like to modify a gun I plan to carry.

Ok. I have no issues helping the Glock parts wear in with a little light stoning and some lapping compound.   

17 minutes ago, JohnMc45 said:

Ok. I have no issues helping the Glock parts wear in with a little light stoning and some lapping compound.   

That might do the trick, a nicely polished connector goes a long way

So I settled on a holster.  I was looking and looking and couldn't decide.  Talked to my stepdad.  He told me of a company he gets all his holsters from, On Your 6.  They're having an end of the month sale too.  Paid $30 for an IWB M&P shield holster.

11 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

So I settled on a holster.  I was looking and looking and couldn't decide.  Talked to my stepdad.  He told me of a company he gets all his holsters from, On Your 6.  They're having an end of the month sale too.  Paid $30 for an IWB M&P shield holster.

Never heard of them but they look pretty solid. Most full kydex holsters are functionally the same as long as the maker knows what they are doing. I always buy mine from a company called gearcraft.

8 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

Never heard of them but they look pretty solid. Most full kydex holsters are functionally the same as long as the maker knows what they are doing. I always buy mine from a company called gearcraft.

Oh nice!  Yeah, I got a good deal, so I’m happy.

It got here, picked up some defensive rounds to test

A909D875-3197-4769-8187-A91FD1227B72.jpeg

D36A942F-B2FB-4EDB-A01C-7444FEA8838E.jpeg

posted in wrong thread

22 hours ago, Velcade said:

First pistol build.

Mostly Aero Precision with some SB Tactical and Geissele sprinkled in for good measure.

Looks good!

What barrel length is that?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

22 hours ago, Velcade said:

First pistol build.

Mostly Aero Precision with some SB Tactical and Geissele sprinkled in for good measure.

ARP.thumb.jpg.6ef0e810c1bdfdb82c7b5fee312d0719.jpg

this is a pistol?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

11 minutes ago, will4623 said:

this is a pistol?

Because the ATF is a complete clown show, yes.

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Because the ATF is a complete clown show, yes.

ATF?I know nothing about guns.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

3 minutes ago, will4623 said:

ATF?I know nothing about guns.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

They basically decide classifications of firearms and what constitutes as an NFA item or not (National Firearms Act).  

So for example, that pistol the dude up there linked is considered a pistol because it's shorter than 26 inches in overall length, and has a barrel less than 16 inches, on top of not having a butt stock.  That device on the end does look like a butt stock, but it isn't.  It has a strap cause you literally strap it to your wrist.  Since you technically can't shoulder a pistol (you can if a situation absolutely requires it real quick and the device you're using to shoulder it isn't a butt stock).

If he put an actual butt stock on it, it would be considered an SBR, or short barreled rifle.  Since it has a barrel length under 16 inches, it'd be an SBR, and he'd have to pay a $200 tax stamp, and do a bunch of paper work, and some background checks, and wait months (sometimes over a year) for the ATF to go either, "okay you get SBR," or, "no you don't get SBR."

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

They basically decide classifications of firearms and what constitutes as an NFA item or not (National Firearms Act).  

So for example, that pistol the dude up there linked is considered a pistol because it's shorter than 26 inches in overall length, and has a barrel less than 16 inches, on top of not having a butt stock.  That device on the end does look like a butt stock, but it isn't.  It has a strap cause you literally strap it to your wrist.  Since you technically can't shoulder a pistol (you can if a situation absolutely requires it real quick and the device you're using to shoulder it isn't a butt stock).

If he put an actual butt stock on it, it would be considered an SBR, or short barreled rifle.  Since it has a barrel length under 16 inches, it'd be an SBR, and he'd have to pay a $200 tax stamp, and do a bunch of paper work, and some background checks, and wait months (sometimes over a year) for the ATF to go either, "okay you get SBR," or, "no you don't get SBR."

so could I make a 30 ought 6 pistol and mod it for sniper duty?

Just now, will4623 said:

so could I make a 30 ought 6 pistol and mod it for sniper duty?

Not really.  

For one, you wouldn't want 30-06 in a pistol.  That's a cartridge you'd want in a full length rifle and with a butt stock.  On top of that, if you were looking at range, you'd want a longer barrel, not a shorter one.

On top of that, minus bolt action rifles, 30-06 has fallen to the way side.  Not many manufacturers make things that would allow you to make such an outrageous contraption.  

Not really.  

For one, you wouldn't want 30-06 in a pistol.  That's a cartridge you'd want in a full length rifle and with a butt stock.  On top of that, if you were looking at range, you'd want a longer barrel, not a shorter one.

On top of that, minus bolt action rifles, 30-06 has fallen to the way side.  Not many manufacturers make things that would allow you to make such an outrageous contraption.  

aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :(

Just now, will4623 said:

aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :(

You definitely could with .308, which is basically similar performance of .30-06 with a lot less recoil.  

I don't know how fun it would be out of a pistol, but it is doable.  

You definitely could with .308, which is basically similar performance of .30-06 with a lot less recoil.  

I don't know how fun it would be out of a pistol, but it is doable.  

I would totally post that on there twtter and there reaction could be priceless.

12 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Since you technically can't shoulder a pistol (you can if a situation absolutely requires it real quick and the device you're using to shoulder it isn't a butt stock).

Last I heard, some braces can be shouldered without issue.

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

which is basically similar performance of .30-06 with a lot less recoil.  

.308 Winchester was developed to have virtually identical performance as .30-06 Springfield, but in a shorter case. Winchester achieved that, and .308 has only improved since (.30-06 as well but not nearly as much due to it losing popularity).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.