Experiences with non-techies

That could be it.  I just always disabled the service because I've never once seen it actually work/do anything, but now I have another reason to keep doing that! :D
Well, technically a shortcut on windows is just a file, but I know what you mean ;)

I could have told you that ;)  I don't know why but windows seems to get very confused when it has the option of wired and wireless at the same time

lol you got me there!  :D

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

lol you got me there!  :D

If you really want to confuse them, start randomly creating symlinks and multiple hardlinks, and disable the little arrow overlay that gives away a shortcut visually :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Dunno how non-techie this really is, but my dad wouldn't let me take the time to cable manage my build because he didn't think it was worth it. I ended up kinda sorta managing it later, but I need to actually take the PSU out and do it right eventually. Actually there was a lot of stuff he was worried about when we were building, like he wouldn't let me take my GPU out so I could get my front panel connectors in. He wouldn't let me put the standoffs in ahead of time so I wouldn't forget (although that ended up being a good thing, Rosewill didn't put in enough of them and I had to figure out which ones were actually important). I think he was just worried about how much money I had just spent and was nervous about me breaking something, even though I assured him I knew what I was doing.

What? It is your fucking build.  You should be able to cable manage, you should have been able to do whatever you please with your build. People that worry so much yet dont know anything about the subject, this pisses me off.

*Calms Down*

OK, well good job. Welcome to the elite hood of the pcmasterrace.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

What? It is your fucking build. You should be able to cable manage, you should have been able to do whatever you please with your build. People that worry so much yet dont know anything about the subject, this pisses me off.

*Calms Down*

OK, well good job. Welcome to the elite hood of the pcmasterrace.

Fortunately my parents live with the "you know better what you need than we do".

So they will often question why I would need a certain part, but I'll explain and they'll be alright with it.

They don't really care, it's eventually me wasting money and not them.

I just started taking Intro To Information Technology this semester (Freshman year highschool) and the teacher is an idiot. He says that the CPU is the tower part of the computer. He says that Steve Jobs invented the GUI. And when you try to correct him you are wrong. There was this one time he told us there are 1000MB in a GB. I said well its not exactly 1000 right. And he replied well its more like 900. SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!! That is all. End Rant.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

1 minute ago, BURNINGJUNK said:

I just started taking Intro To Information Technology this semester (Freshman year highschool) and the teacher is an idiot. He says that the CPU is the tower part of the computer. He says that Steve Jobs invented the GUI. And when you try to correct him you are wrong. There was this one time he told us there are 1000MB in a GB. I said well its not exactly 1000 right. And he replied well its more like 900. SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!! That is all. End Rant.

A Gigabyte is 1000MB, while a Gibibyte is 1024 mebibytes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Except for RAM, right?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

3 minutes ago, BURNINGJUNK said:

well its indeed there are indeed 1000MB in a GB but there are 1024MB in a GIB. shame that windows displays it wrong

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

On 1/30/2016 at 10:30 AM, Speedbird said:

Except for RAM, right?

It would seem that RAM is exempt from that, at least with VRAM on my 970 which displays 4096MB.

@SpeedbirdIt's also important to note that it's a unit. Units aren't biased towards or against components.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It would seem that RAM is except from that, at least with VRAM on my 970 which displays 4096MB.

RAM manufacturers know that when people want 4, they want 4 GiB, not 4GB. If they assumed 1000 MB = 1GB for RAM, there would be a lot more threads on this forum about why they have 3.72GB of RAM, not 4.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Oh no, I am not getting into this argument! :)

The names and abbreviations for the different amounts of storage/memory, combined with the substantial difference between what is considered technically correct and what everyone uses make this a very slippery slope topic to get into

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not always. Depends on whether you're using the base 2 or base 10 system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Decimal_definition

And don't throw the whole "WIKIPEDIA LOL" argument as you can see it yourself in practice.

I bought my parents a 1TB portable HDD to store all their pictures in. I was like, here ya go, you can backup all of your pictures and stuff here. My dad looks at it and is like, you usually buy me a little small thing. I'm like, yeah well that flash drive only has 16GB of storage while this thing has 50 times more. Then he says, so I can delete all the pictures from the laptop right? I look at the desktop, and icons of random pictures are everywhere. Some are atleast in a folder for that certain date. I look into My Pictures, and it's empty....

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Just now, NeatSquidYT said:

Not always. Depends on whether you're using the base 2 or base 10 system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Decimal_definition

And don't throw the whole "WIKIPEDIA LOL" argument as you can see it yourself in practice.

A gigabyte uses 10^9 bytes as giga means billion which has 9 zeros in it. Gibibyte uses 2^30 bytes.

4 minutes ago, deVIZtation said:

I bought my parents a 1TB portable HDD to store all their pictures in. I was like, here ya go, you can backup all of your pictures and stuff here. My dad looks at it and is like, you usually buy me a little small thing. I'm like, yeah well that flash drive only has 16GB of storage while this thing has 50 times more. Then he says, so I can delete all the pictures from the laptop right? I look at the desktop, and icons of random pictures are everywhere. Some are atleast in a folder for that certain date. I look into My Pictures, and it's empty....

They clearly don't understand the concept of "backup".  If they value the images, I would explain it to them :)

Another quick one from my Intro to Info Tech Class.

On the first day this girl sits down next to me. I knew who she was, but I never really talked to her.

I open up my school issued Chromebook (ugggghhh) I use CTRL+T to open a new tab. I type in "mail" then hit enter (Omnibox completes mail.google.com). I check my email quickly for new messages then use CTRL+W to close the window. All said and done it took me maybe 15 seconds.

The girl turns to me and says "Let me guess, you know how to hack stuff"

I laughed so hard and said.. yeah sure

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

7 hours ago, deVIZtation said:

A lot of people (teachers included) at my school always save to the desktop. I've never understood why, it becomes a mess. The lady who previously ran the server in one of my classes would save all her photos to the desktop of the server and it was just frustrating.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Roomate asked if I could time up his laptop. Said sure as I wasn't doing anything anyway.

Uninstalled a bunch of bloatware.

Uninstalled Norton as he had a paid version of kaspersky labs.

Downloaded ccleaner and ran that.

Uninstalled ccleaner.

Checked drivers... Factory...

Updated all drivers, and installed AMD crimson.

Finally did a defrag.

Result was a good 4gb of junk freed up, and a noticeable performance / speed increase.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

6 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

A lot of people (teachers included) at my school always save to the desktop. I've never understood why, it becomes a mess. The lady who previously ran the server in one of my classes would save all her photos to the desktop of the server and it was just frustrating.

It's just the most convenient place most of the time.  Difference is, when I do it, it's for temporary storage (like 10 mins or less) and I actually delete or move it somewhere else when I'm done :)

5 hours ago, BURNINGJUNK said:

On the first day this girl sits down next to me. I knew who she was, but I never really talked to her.

I open up my school issued Chromebook (ugggghhh) I use CTRL+T to open a new tab. I type in "mail" then hit enter (Omnibox completes mail.google.com). I check my email quickly for new messages then use CTRL+W to close the window. All said and done it took me maybe 15 seconds.

I understand.  I really do...

I was in 11CSI class last year, that's the highest computer science class.  Nobody knew how to code, nobody knew about any hardware and they all wanted to learn.  But instead we focused on flow charts, I understand that but that should be in maybe a program design course or a marketing or business course.  And the big issue is that it wasn't computer science. 

This year (school begins in 1 day :| ) I'll be doing electronics, marketing, coding etc instead of computer science.  Because I think that would be much much better. 

The only shame is that they make us use c# with the Xamarin platform which uses the Android SDK and NDK to write programs in c# for android.  I understand this makes it easy to write both iOS and Android and Windows Phone applications in c# in practiclally the same code.  But what I don't understand is why we can't use Android Studio.

Esspecially since they use Visual Studio for Windows Phone, Xcode for iOS and then... Xamarin for Android? 

I do not get it, I really don't.  The only up is that we get Dreamspark.

I think this last one isn't really a non-techie thing but I think it's still someone who is being unpractical.  They use the native code for all operating systems except Android.   Applications will ALWAYS run better in the native code they were designed to work with.  It also means you can make it opensource or even free(gnu level) and people don't need to pay for Xamarin to actually edit the damn app.

This gets me worked up.

Guess what I just realised?  We get to hit 1000 pages all over again :D

Wow, where to start. I worked Tier 1 for a ISP for a while, and let me tell you, the stories I have. 

1. Customer called wondering why TV didn't work. She had no power cord plugged into the TV, and the coaxial from the TV going into the modem. The modem also didn't have power. When asked what she was trying to do... "Get wireless TV". TT

2. Was working on someone's PC remote when I asked them to replicate the issue. I asked them to right click on something but they were unable. When I went to watch their screen,  they were trying to "right click" by left clicking repeatedly but to the pattern to spell out "right click". No lie. It's so dumb it's not even funny.

3. Customer called up trying to get VOIP phone to work. I use "customer" loosly because he didn't have a account and was trying to hook up a DSL modem (ISP was cable) to a VOIP modem. They had the RJ11 out of the VOIP modem then going into DSL modem, then ethernet from DSL modem into VOIP modem. Perpetual internet machine!

I have so many more, but I try to repress them. :ph34r:

shit man, now we need to get to 1000 tabs all over again.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

On 2/1/2016 at 6:27 PM, BURNINGJUNK said:

My JROTC instructor doesn't know how to scan and upload documents even though I've tried teaching him. One time he called me up over the weekend to scan like, 4 documents for him. He paid me $20 for it when it only took about 5 minutes.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

On 1/31/2016 at 10:26 AM, BURNINGJUNK said:

While I won't go on everything, Apple was the first to create an OS with a GUI interface. So in a way, he is correct about that.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo