Experiences with non-techies

This happens too many times, I remember around a decade or more ago, there were people on some phone forum going nuts over 8 core (dual xeon) Apple workstations for 5 figures of cash, and yes, one person that bought it was like 'its 16 Ghz because 2 Ghz x 8, you cant get that on any PC'.

I just wanted to smash my keyboard into my screen wished it would come out on his end and break his face.

You can't argue Apple users.

The fact that they sell their 2006 macbook white that has completely yellowed and a broken touchpad for €300, just because it's an Apple tells me enough.

Apple users also always tend to compare their 2015 Mac Pro with a 2004 pentium 4, and then show how slow the Windows machine is and say "told you Apple is better"

Ugh...

No offence to the real Apple users tho that DO have an idea what the hell they are talking about, those people probably have a better reason to buy a Mac than "HURRDURR APPLE LOGO"

Oh I remember this one time an Apple vs PC debate came up way back at Uni, and one lady said 'But have you seen how nice macs look? I'd rather have that than an ugly beige box PC'.

Poor lady would probably get pregnant from just looking at custom PC cases.

Linus is my fetish.

You can't argue Apple users.

The fact that they sell their 2006 macbook white that has completely yellowed and a broken touchpad for €300, just because it's an Apple tells me enough.

Apple users also always tend to compare their 2015 Mac Pro with a 2004 pentium 4, and then show how slow the Windows machine is and say "told you Apple is better"

Ugh...

No offence to the real Apple users tho that DO have an idea what the hell they are talking about, those people probably have a better reason to buy a Mac than "HURRDURR APPLE LOGO"

I sold a shitty 2008 Mac PC for 250€ lol

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

nice job!  I think we're mainly laughing at the people who buy them :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Few days later someone was ready to agre to buy it at 350€!

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Oh I remember this one time an Apple vs PC debate came up way back at Uni, and one lady said 'But have you seen how nice macs look? I'd rather have that than an ugly beige box PC'.

Maybe looks are more important TO HER than having a faster for cheaper system, and custom cases aside (how many offices use custom cased PCs) macs/Apple do generally win out on looks .  Everyone has different needs/wants/desires from their computer

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

My grandmother has an old Athlon 64 x2 machine that she bought back in 2006. She paid some asshole $150 to put a single 1gb stick of ram in, install CCleaner and Microsoft security essentials. This happened sometime in late 2015 before Christmas. The entire goal of this was just to get the printer to work but he didn't even install the drivers for the printer. 

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech. Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them. I'll go first: So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago. My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

Isopropol alchohol on a dry cloth

Ugh...

That's just.....

I'm trying to get a Mac myself, not a new one ofcourse but an old one.

PowerPC machine, early intel mac.

But that shit is impossible, People try to sell iMac G3 for over 200 euros

My grandmother has an old Athlon 64 x2 machine that she bought back in 2006. She paid some asshole $150 to put a single 1gb stick of ram in, install CCleaner and Microsoft security essentials. This happened sometime in late 2015 before Christmas. The entire goal of this was just to get the printer to work but he didn't even install the drivers for the printer. 

This is not good practice at all.

That problem was over 3 years ago, I don't think they need help any more ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ugh...

That's just.....

I'm trying to get a Mac myself, not a new one ofcourse but an old one.

PowerPC machine, early intel mac.

But that shit is impossible, People try to sell iMac G3 for over 200 euros

Sold my G4 1.3Ghz PPC CPU for more than $100 a few months ago ... I couldn't believe the bid war that happened minutes before the auction end!! lol

EDIT : found it, it was 118CAD in August last year!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

There is an acoustic guitar forum I visit regularly.  The majority of the membership are in their fifties and sixties, so they tend to be less tech savvy than the average person.  And while there are some pretty smart people (and great players) over there, there are also a lot of, quite frankly, really dumb people that are convinced they are full of sage wisdom simply because they are old.  They is one person in particular whose willful ignorance I find excruciating.  Before I share my non-techie stories of him, I will give you a short list of the things he's said and done, to give you an idea of who we're dealing with:

He's said that anyone who dyes their hair is a drug addict and/or mentally unstable.

Claims that rap music is one of the major contributors to the moral degradation of society.

Says that NASA doesn't understand math and statistics anymore, which is why we haven't been back to the moon and why the Columbia exploded.  How he arrived at this conclusion is a story in itself.

Believes that the Sandy Hook tragedy was a hoax.

If you disagree with him too many times, he will accuse you of being a part of the "secret liberal agenda" against him.  It doesn't matter if you disagreed on mundane things, such as which tuning machine gear ratio you like best, or what tonewood pairs best with spruce.

He has stated on more than one occasion that smart people seek out education for the sole reason of making other people feel stupid.

He believes that if you buy anything that isn't made in the US, that the money will eventually find its way to the terrorists.

He works as a truck driver, and he got fired after destroying a diesel engine by filling it with the wrong thing.  But he claims that his former boss "was just out to get him".

And his next job he didn't properly secure the back door on the trailer, resulting in a fair amount of the load ending up on the road.  When he got fired from that job he once again accused his boss of conspiring against him.

When his wife's cat managed to get outside and run off when it was in heat, he accused the cat of planning it with the sole purpose of pissing him off.

When his dog started having behavioral problems, he accused the dog of planning the misbehavior, once again with the goal of pissing him off.

When a professional dog trainer who also frequents that forum offered some advice, he told the dog trainer that he was full of shit.  He didn't believe what the dog trainer had to say because he's "had dogs his whole life and never heard of any of this".  He admitted that he had a problem with the dog and that he doesn't know the solution, but when an expert gives one he didn't believe it because he didn't know it. 

He believes that schools are teaching children to hate America.

Whenever he doesn't do his homework and something doesn't fulfill his uninformed expectations, he accused the retailer/manufacturer/organization of scamming him or otherwise screwing him over.  He has the internet.  He literally has a majority of man's knowledge at his fingertips.  But when he refuses to use it, it's always someone else's fault when things don't meet whatever expectations he pulled out of thin air.

In general, things are never his fault and he is always the victim.  If something bad happens or something he doesn't like, there is always some hidden conspiracy purposely causing it.  Everything that happens and everything the people do are somehow in relation to him.  This list is just a fraction of the dumb things he has said or done, but this post is a book already.  For the longest time I couldn't decide if he was one of the biggest imbeciles that I've ever met, or simply the greatest troll I've ever seen.

The first tech related story was when people at that forum where discussing privately owned drones in the off topic section.  He, with an alarming number of others, said they would shoot down any drone they spotted over their property.  Because drones are apparently a much larger issue than a bunch of people firing guns into the air.  Those bullets have to come down somewhere.  Some time before he had posted a picture his wife had taken of him with his latest guitar.  On a hunch, I downloaded the picture and looked at the metadata.  His wife had taken it with a smart phone, and the GPS coordinates were in there.  With the coordinates I went to Google maps, switched the satellite view, and took a screenshot of the view over his property.  I then cropped the picture to get rid of the browser border, and posted in reply to one of his posts, saying "You missed one :)".  He made all sorts of threats against me if I didn't reveal which one of his neighbors I was. :D  Like I would reveal my identity to a person threatening me.

The other story is fairly recent.  Someone posted a NGD (new guitar day).  The person had bought a Lakewood, which is a very high end German made acoustic guitar.  Then he comes into the thread, giving the guy a bunch of shit for not buying a Martin (ironically, Martin was founded by a German immigrant).  He goes on about how he only buys American made stuff because he takes pride in being an American, that buying foreign made is disrespectful to America, and so on and so forth.  Someone else who can't stand his idiocy pointed out the computer he is using to post isn't all made of American parts.  He responds buy saying it's an American computer because it is a Dell. We had to spell out for him that some of the components have no American manufacturers.  He seemed to stop posting after that.  We later learned from one of his neighbors (who also plays and visits the forum) that he threw out his computer.

*snip*

oh my god that has got to be the greatest ratio of amazing to length I've ever read despite the amount of text :D

Not even an SSD - most people don't realize what a huge difference it makes and so will never pester IT for months to get one :rolleyes:

In day to day, no, in fact they never may have even heard of one. But put 2 machines side by side, one with an SSD and without, you can bet your ass they'll notice

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Snip

how does he even survive

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

how does he even survive

luckily breathing isn't just a government conspiracy... yet :P

Poor lady would probably get pregnant from just looking at custom PC cases.

Clearly she's never seen a corsair 760T before... Or most name brand off the shelf cases

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Wait what's wrong with this?

Clearly she's never seen a corsair 760T before... Or most name brand off the shelf cases

yeah show her something from NZXT or Fractal Design

Wait what's wrong with this?

I think he means that was the way to clean the thing in the post he quoted

oh my god that has got to be the greatest ratio of amazing to length I've ever read despite the amount of text :D

That was some crazy stuff.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

snip-trocity

That sounds surprisingly much like my mom.

Needless to say: she has very little friends.

how does he even survive

Next he'll be going off about how the people who do school shootings are just fighting the terrorists and corrupt government who wants to take his gun away. Speaking of which, he should not be allowed to EVER hold a firearm of any sort. Hell, I don't trust him enough to tie his own shoes or have a sexual partner to stay committed to him.