Experiences with non-techies

14 minutes ago, Codeplayer said:

Yeah- CPU - Central Processing Unit - Processor.

I really don't understand why people keep calling the whole computer "CPU" when the name (like you said) obviously means something else!!! (I've also heard "hard drive" when talking about the whole system)

However, I understand @W3dge confusion (in saying "whole computers" were once called CPU), if you go back far enough, the only computers available were "mainframe" where storage and other peripherals were "separate" and so you had a "box" (usually a whole cabinet) that was the CPU, but from what I can see, we're not in the 60's anymore and we're using microprocessors! :D

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

snip

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

1 minute ago, Str_Mape said:

These are from the same conversation

"Any games released in the past 1-2 years will support Direct X 12"

"GTX 970 is around 4-5 times quicker than the GTX 950"

Do people just make stuff up hoping no one will question them or are they actually misinterpreting information that badly?  Or worse yet, are they finding something somewhere that told them that? :S

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

?format=300w

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

2 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

These are from the same conversation

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

On 2/9/2016 at 10:33 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do people just make stuff up hoping no one will question them or are they actually misinterpreting information that badly?  Or worse yet, are they finding something somewhere that told them that? :S

snip

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Just now, Str_Mape said:

This is someone I work with talking to customers while I'm working on computers out the back :(

oh no... please, if you care about that company, tell them to not let him near customers any more :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Str_Mape said:

This is someone I work with talking to customers while I'm working on computers out the back :(

Oh......my sympathies.

That must be insufferable.

DAYTONA

On 2/9/2016 at 10:35 AM, daniellearmouth said:

Oh......my sympathies.

That must be insufferable.

snip

On 2/9/2016 at 10:35 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh no... please, if you care about that company, tell them to not let him near customers any more :P

snip

Just now, Str_Mape said:

It's pretty bad sometimes, at least he's getting me quite a bit of likes on the forum...

It's difficult when he's the boss...

He's a cool guy / boss but he doesn't know that much about computers but is pretty convinced that he knows a lot...

Oh... yeah I guess that would make it a little awkward.  Well, assuming he's not intentionally misleading people for sales, surely he would listen to reason if you can show proof on a couple things you know he has wrong.  Best case scenario, not only will you correct those topics but he might realize he should learn more before spreading lies :D

On 2/9/2016 at 10:40 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh... yeah I guess that would make it a little awkward.  Well, assuming he's not intentionally misleading people for sales, surely he would listen to reason if you can show proof on a couple things you know he has wrong.  Best case scenario, not only will you correct those topics but he might realize he should learn more before spreading lies :D

snip

1 minute ago, Str_Mape said:

He knows I know a lot more than him, the issue is that I can't come out in the middle of a sale and tell my boss he's wrong and make him look stupid in front of the customer...

That's true.  But does he not know what things he has right or wrong?  Usually when someone doesn't know something, they're aware of that.  If he does, you'd think rather than making stuff up he'd just call you over or something, or try to learn from you in spare time.

Unless he's convinced he has all these things right... but it doesn't sound like that's the issue...

On 2/9/2016 at 10:45 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's true.  But does he not know what things he has right or wrong?  Usually when someone doesn't know something, they're aware of that.  If he does, you'd think rather than making stuff up he'd just call you over or something, or try to learn from you in spare time.

Unless he's convinced he has all these things right... but it doesn't sound like that's the issue...

snip

3 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

I think he wants to look confident in front of the customer and asking me over something fairly simple is kinda a bad look for him, especially when he's been doing computer sales stuff for around 10 years xD

He doesn't seem to know what he doesn't know which is also pretty bad.

Well then it does sound like just a lack of caring.  Personally, I would feel terrible if I realized I had given a customer woefully inaccurate information and they made purchasing decisions based on that, and to that end, I'd do everything in my power to try and know everything, whether that means researching in spare time, or looking something up in front of the customer in order to make sure I'm correct.

Imagining that from the other point of view, as a customer, I don't think I would feel put off in any way if the sales person admitted they weren't 100% sure and pulled up hard evidence to setting something.  It would actually instill confidence that they care enough to give me correct info and that they know when they need to check something, rather than just guessing.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well then it does sound like just a lack of caring.  Personally, I would feel terrible if I realized I had given a customer woefully inaccurate information and they made purchasing decisions based on that, and to that end, I'd do everything in my power to try and know everything, whether that means researching in spare time, or looking something up in front of the customer in order to make sure I'm correct.

Imagining that from the other point of view, as a customer, I don't think I would feel put off in any way if the sales person admitted they weren't 100% sure and pulled up hard evidence to setting something.  It would actually instill confidence that they care enough to give me correct info and that they know when they need to check something, rather than just guessing.

Yea, I certainly get that and I'm going to have to have a talk with him soon.

4 hours ago, Codeplayer said:

And its not even the best that fits in, lets say socket 2011. I'm a Xeon fanboy.

This post is like a vegan who feels that they need to let everyone know they're vegan, and are a superior race of inferior people. 

this happened yesterday. I walked into the library at my school, where the only three printers that students can use to print are. I walk in, the morning a big paper is due, and like 15 people are there freaking out because the printers aren't working. they are all yelling "get the tech delartment, quick!".... I take one look at the printers and I say with a smug on my face, "do you guys want me to turn the printers on? or would you like me to grab IT so they can press the power button for you." OMG I was laughing so hard.

My teacher asked one of my classmates to help her with turning on this "machine". Only thing he had to do was to press the power button on the case. The teacher has been working 10 years, and she has to use computers every day. My facedesk was heard all over the class.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

13 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

My teacher asked one of my classmates to help her with turning on this "machine". Only thing he had to do was to press the power button on the case. The teacher has been working 10 years, and she has to use computers every day. My facedesk was heard all over the class.

See that's the kind of thing I'm talking about (see my rant a little while back).  How can someone not know how to press the power button after that long!?  I could forgive pretty much anyone for not knowing how a new things works right away, but if you've been using something for 10 years, don't you think you should know where the power button is?  Just... baffling o.O

3 hours ago, Hogger said:

this happened yesterday. I walked into the library at my school, where the only three printers that students can use to print are. I walk in, the morning a big paper is due, and like 15 people are there freaking out because the printers aren't working. they are all yelling "get the tech delartment, quick!".... I take one look at the printers and I say with a smug on my face, "do you guys want me to turn the printers on? or would you like me to grab IT so they can press the power button for you." OMG I was laughing so hard.

That reminds me of a printer story too :D  So the school has a whole network of printers so you can sign in pretty much anywhere and if there is a printer near by, it will be setup as an option to print from on the computer you are using, but the catch is it costs money.  Only like a few cents per page I think, but its just another roadblock.  So, we were in the computer lab, and there was one of these printers in there, and there was also a little office in the back with another printer in there.  So, not wanting to use the school computers, or pay for printing on "the common printer", I notice that all ethernet cables are just kind of loose under the desk.  So I pop one out of the computer I'm not using and plug it into my laptop, add the printer I find, and print.  I walk into the back room where the instructor is and he's like "Oh, I didn't know you guys could print to this printer" and I said "we can't", grabbed my stuff and walked out xD

On 31/01/2016 at 3:29 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

A Gigabyte is 1000MB, while a Gibibyte is 1024 mebibytes.

*gigabyte = 1024 Megabytes :)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

51 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

See that's the kind of thing I'm talking about (see my rant a little while back).  How can someone not know how to press the power button after that long!?  I could forgive pretty much anyone for not knowing how a new things works right away, but if you've been using something for 10 years, don't you think you should know where the power button is?  Just... baffling o.O

Yeah. Other example - my grandmother. Worked 40 years for the same company with a computer in front of her. Doesn't know how to put a clock widget on her desktop. Just.. Just.. Naarghh..

Edit: She wondered why she has never got a promotion.. Let me guess..

39 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

*gigabyte = 1024 Megabytes :)

Gigabyte is actually 1000 Megabytes. He was right. Gibibyte is 1024 Mebibytes.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

On 2/9/2016 at 10:08 AM, wkdpaul said:

no ... it actually NEVER was called that ...

*sigh*

"8 Gamers, 1 CPU", and Linus has said on video that he's not changing the name. (As compared to "2 Gamers 1 Tower" from earlier.)

33 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

"8 Gamers, 1 CPU", and Linus has said on video that he's not changing the name. (As compared to "2 Gamers 1 Tower" from earlier.)

I think it was because of the original video that really was 2 gamers 1 CPU, but then he didn't bother renaming it just because the new one technically required 2 CPUs.

1 hour ago, Norseman4 said:

*sigh*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, Norseman4 said:

Firstly, it's '7 Gamers, 1 CPU'.

Secondly, the father project is '2 Gamers, 1 CPU', not '2 Gamers, 1 Tower'.

Lastly, the CPU doesn't refer to the computer itself. It refers to how many CPUs it used. Yes, it uses two and not one despite what the name says, but let's be honest here, it sounds cooler than two because they got more out of one than what anyone else had so far.

DAYTONA