Experiences with non-techies

On 10.2.2016 at 2:27 AM, Belgarathian said:

This post is like a vegan who feels that they need to let everyone know they're vegan, and are a superior race of inferior people. 

This post is like a vegan who tries to sort everyone by their eating habits and then tell everyone what kind of people they are. Based on their vegan sorting.

It is stupid to be stupid.

17 hours ago, Codeplayer said:

This post is like a vegan who tries to sort everyone by their eating habits and then tell everyone what kind of people they are. Based on their vegan sorting.

This post is cannibalistic.

Am I doing this right?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

no ... it actually NEVER was called that ...

*sigh*

Ya.

Yes, I am technically wrong.

However, this is an image that explains what most schools I've been to teach. It is not technically correct, but most common folk don't know that.

c157f95c8cdc5bb4feb38bfc88e378ca.jpg

32 minutes ago, W3dge said:

Ya.

Yes, I am technically wrong.

However, this is an image that explains what most schools I've been to teach. It is not technically correct, but most common folk don't know that.

That picture is just sad... clearly they're referring to the entire setup the "Computer" and apparently the detailed pieces include the "CPU" (the actual computer), which besides being wrong is also pathetic since as we all know, you could at the very least go into the parts inside it.

This is like saying "essential parts of the human body" and having a picture of a crowd, and then labelling a single person as "brain"... *facepalm*

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/02/2016 at 6:56 PM, Allshevski said:

Yeah. Other example - my grandmother. Worked 40 years for the same company with a computer in front of her. Doesn't know how to put a clock widget on her desktop. Just.. Just.. Naarghh..

Edit: She wondered why she has never got a promotion.. Let me guess..

Gigabyte is actually 1000 Megabytes. He was right. Gibibyte is 1024 Mebibytes.

How long has it been like dis? I thought it was always 1024...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That picture is just sad... clearly they're referring to the entire setup the "Computer" and apparently the detailed pieces include the "CPU" (the actual computer), which besides being wrong is also pathetic since as we all know, you could at the very least go into the parts inside it.

This is like saying "essential parts of the human body" and having a picture of a crowd, and then labelling a single person as "brain"... *facepalm*

Sad yes ... I just don't understand why it's ok to call a whole computer "CPU" or "hard drive" while I'm sure nobody would call a whole car "engine"!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Sad yes ... I just don't understand why it's ok to call a whole computer "CPU" or "hard drive" while I'm sure nobody would call a whole car "engine"!

It's not.  But that doesn't stop it from happening apparently :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

How long has it been like dis? I thought it was always 1024...

For.. Forevar? That's why buying a HDD is so confusing.. Gigabytes, Gigabits, Gibibytes, Gibibits..

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

4 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

For.. Forevar? That's why buying a HDD is so confusing.. Gigabytes, Gigabits, Gibibytes, Gibibits..

I swore I wouldn't weigh in on this argument/discussion but I think this is a safe part :P

There has been rampant misunderstanding and inconsistency in how both the terms and the abbreviations are (mis)used.  That's why I never blame anyone for "using the wrong one" since if you want to be precise, there's really no choice but to specifically say "1 billion bytes" or "1024^3 bytes", etc

Same issue with bits vs bytes in abbreviations honestly... whenever it's not obvious from the context (ex, such as talking networking) I will use "Gbytes" or "Gbits" just to be clear.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I swore I wouldn't weigh in on this argument/discussion but I think this is a safe part :P

There has been rampant misunderstanding and inconsistency in how both the terms and the abbreviations are (mis)used.  That's why I never blame anyone for "using the wrong one" since if you want to be precise, there's really no choice but to specifically say "1 billion bytes" or "1024^3 bytes", etc

Same issue with bits vs bytes in abbreviations honestly... whenever it's not obvious from the context (ex, such as talking networking) I will use "Gbytes" or "Gbits" just to be clear.

Yeah. I don't even bother to use proper form. That 2,4% difference isn't worth it :P Only bits and bytes are kinda tricky.

2 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

Yeah. I don't even bother to use proper form. That 2,4% difference isn't worth it :P Only bits and bytes are kinda tricky.

OK, I'll finally fully comment on this whole thing :)

You want to know why this is so confusing everyone?  Really?  Who it right?  Well, almost no one lol.

Look at this: (attached)

So, "MB" can actually mean 1 million bytes, OR 1,048,576 bytes.  Then there is the other abbreviation that no one uses (MiB, for example) that is supposed to be used for 1,048,576 and any other power of 1024.  It sure doesn't help that Windows does now and, as far as I can remember, has always used the 1024 powers, but the "MB" abbreviation!

So not only does no one use the right abbreviations most of the time, but it's not even their fault - they really can't since if I write "GB" I could mean 1 billion bytes or 1024^3 bytes and both would be correct.

It's a terrible state of affairs and I think it will only be solved by either A. everyone/everything switching to only use 1000 or 1024 measurements, or B. we create a new abbreviation system that actually works.

Capture.PNG

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK, I'll finally fully comment on this whole thing :)

You want to know why this is so confusing everyone?  Really?  Who it right?  Well, almost no one lol.

Look at this: (attached)

So, "MB" can actually mean 1 million bytes, OR 1,048,576 bytes.  Then there is the other abbreviation that no one uses (MiB, for example) that is supposed to be used for 1,048,576 and any other power of 1024.  It sure doesn't help that Windows does now and, as far as I can remember, has always used the 1024 powers, but the "MB" abbreviation!

So not only does no one use the right abbreviations most of the time, but it's not even their fault - they really can't since if I write "GB" I could mean 1 billion bytes or 1024^3 bytes and both would be correct.

It's a terrible state of affairs and I think it will only be solved by either A. everyone/everything switching to only use 1000 or 1024 measurements, or B. we create a new abbreviation system that actually works.

Capture.PNG

Oh, that's stupid..

22 hours ago, daniellearmouth said:

Firstly, it's '7 Gamers, 1 CPU'.

Secondly, the father project is '2 Gamers, 1 CPU', not '2 Gamers, 1 Tower'.

Lastly, the CPU doesn't refer to the computer itself. It refers to how many CPUs it used. Yes, it uses two and not one despite what the name says, but let's be honest here, it sounds cooler than two because they got more out of one than what anyone else had so far.

OK, I was off by 1 gamer on the latest build, but the original was:

"2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower"

Wasn't this all started though be people calling the computer (aka the tower or box) the CPU? Yes it was.

1 minute ago, Allshevski said:

Oh, that's stupid..

Yeah.  Then, talking bits vs bytes, bytes are supposed to be "B" and bits "b", so that at least is actually defined properly, but out of laziness or what I don't even know, many people will write "Mb" for Megabytes from time to time, and usually it's still obvious what is meant, but sometimes it isn't and that's why I always try to be very specific.

Just now, Norseman4 said:

"2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower"

Wasn't this all started though be people calling the computer (aka the tower or box) the CPU? Yes it was.

Look at 0:17 though... I think just the video title is wrong - he called it CPU pretty much throughout, hence where this mass mistake (thinking it was 2 gamers 1 cpu) came from

But yes, it was started by confusion over CPU vs tower :P

5 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

"2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower"

And yet throughout the video they refer to this as "2 Gamers, 1 CPU", both in and out of this video.

DAYTONA

6 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

And yet throughout the video they refer to this as "2 Gamers, 1 CPU", both in and out of this video.

So in the first, both the title and the dialog were both technically and factually correct, and in the $30,000 build (USD or CAD?) both the video title, and the dialog were both factually incorrect.

1 minute ago, Norseman4 said:

So in the first, both the title and the dialog were both technically and factually correct, and in the $30,000 build (USD or CAD?) both the video title, and the dialog were both factually incorrect.

Yes. But he addressed that at the end, saying something like "I know it's actually 2 CPUs but that's what we're calling it"

Just now, Norseman4 said:

Imma let you finish, but even they themselves said that they are aware that the system uses two CPUs despite naming it "7 Gamers, 1 CPU".

That's not factually inaccurate; that's just naming it similarly for convenience's sake.

DAYTONA

*points at 980 ti*
"My laptop has 16GB, can I put one of these in it and make it gaming"

-_-

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

3 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:
*points at 980 ti*
"My laptop has 16GB, can I put one of these in it and make it gaming"

-_-

Just wondering do you work at CL?

I just don't know what to say...

6 minutes ago, RZeroX said:

Just wondering do you work at CL?

I just don't know what to say...

No, almost did.
Personal life kinda fell apart after moving up for job and then had to move back down :( 

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

3 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

No, almost did.
Personal life kinda fell apart after moving up for job and then had to move back down :( 

Oh that sucks :(

where are you from Christchurch?

Just now, RZeroX said:

Oh that sucks :(

where are you from Christchurch?

indeedio, if they open a store down here I'll jump on that super quickly.