Experiences with non-techies

On 5/30/2016 at 2:01 PM, BingoFishy said:

Tom's hardware's layout is really confusing. I don't really recommend that forum. Also, please use ' instead  of `. It's how you write properly in english, though I forgive you if you use a keyboard for a different language that doesn't have an apostrophe or aren't a native english speaker.

I left after some moderator closed my request for help because my Tiger disc didn't have the big X on it.

It was created by a freakin' Mac.

What more do you want from me?

elephants

My dad thinking that his Roku  remote is causing Plex not to work properly. 😂😂😂😂. All he needed to do is restart is Roku. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

A long time ago when I was younger my mother said to me one time "Your brother wants TV in his room but he can't get any reception. He spends a lot of time in there alone and you should help him with it". So I go to his room and ask him if he wants TV in there and would he like me to do it for him. He says "yeah that would be nice but don't go to any trouble". I like my brother and am glad to help. I say it's no trouble.

My brother was a kind of laid back dude who often would lie in bed chain smoking and eating. A little on the messy side. He liked to work on cars and in general didn't get to nervous about things. If you know what I mean. He always had one of those oil filled electric radiator type heaters in his room turned all the way up 24/7. He liked it hot all the time.

The house was old and it was actually a little bit of trouble for me running the coax cable across the whole house. I hid it up in the ceilings in different rooms and hallways across the whole house to get it to his bedroom. Drilling some holes and finding the best paths for the cable. It takes me all afternoon to finish. The next morning I set it all up for him, the TV, TV box and surge protector. The surge protector is very necessary where I live especially back in those days. So when I'm done I show him how the TV box remote works and tell him not to plug his heater into the surge protector. That it will fry it if he does because it is not made for that. He says ok and thanks me.

Like two days later my mother says to me something is wrong and that he is complaining that his TV won't work.

So I go into his room to check it out.

The surge protector is melted and the TV won't turn on.

The heater power cord is unplugged laying beside it. 🥴

I like my brother he was funny sometimes.

😄

23 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

welcome to the forum btw, 1 post 🤗

Thank you. Initially came to find out if there is any info on the LTT pink water bottles getting restocked but seems like a fun place so i might just stick around regardless of not finding anything about that haha

33 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Perfect quote for this whole thread.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity."

-Albert Einstein.

That quote expands the entirety of us, what we are ignorant to, we do not know, but those who think they know...

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

My father changes sound sources in Windows 10, calls me on the phone, i have lost all audio! anxiety and depression in his voice... literally cannot fallow a simple instruction, do it for him.... "oh i see"

😒

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

So my step mum phoned me. Said that shed taken her old battered computer in to currys to get it repaired. That they gave her a new monitor and it all worked but now the cd drive on it wasn't working. So i took a look at it. She was sitting with the pc on desktop and, like she said, i pushed the cd eject button and it wouldn't work. Thats when i noticed the tower wasn't actually on. It wasn't even plugged in to the mains. So where was her desktop coming from? Thats when i took a closer look at the monitor. She had been sold an all in one pc, not a monitor. Her old tower was seperate but she was still trying to use the devices on it.

She phoned me a few months ago saying that she thought she had a virus. That she was getting a popup every time she went on certain web pages. So i took a look at it for her. It was the "accept cookies" pop up that's on alot of sites.

She phoned me the other week and told me that her browser was broken. That the letters on it were huge. So i took a look at it for her. She had somehow managed to zoom in on her brower to 300%

And yet she keeps trying to tell me shes good at computers lol. That's what i like about her. Shes always good for a laugh XD

36 minutes ago, Digideath said:

She phoned me a few months ago saying that she thought she had a virus. That she was getting a popup every time she went on certain web pages. So i took a look at it for her. It was the "accept cookies" pop up that's on alot of sites.

Reminds me of a family member that sent me an email, talking about virus, he has a popup from the anti-virus, etc ... I ask for a screenshot of the popup, and this is what I got (not joking) ;

Spoiler

Mcafee-popup.jpg.d64d60591956cf9097656bef3d287606.jpg

My reply was basically exactly what the popup was saying ... then I asked if he even took a few seconds to read it.

That was this morning, he still hasn't replied.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 1/20/2014 at 7:40 AM, JAW96 said:

the teacher get streamed from Texas using skype, I haven't used the chromebooks personally, but the students I do use them says they really are sucky to use.

On 1/20/2014 at 7:51 AM, CapnJames said:

I can't imagine a class being taught like that, I don't think there too bad, couldn't be used as my main computer but great for Facebook, forums and email etc.

Distance learning, my friend.

Though what if COVID hit during the Windows 98/Me days?

Would we do class over phone?

elephants

Perusing eBay for a cheap PowerPC Mac to use as my "PowerPC Mac that works guide" (I guess my job now is to fix PowerPC Macs, because I found three more broken ones) and found this gem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-G4-1-42-A1103-2005-CPU-Unit-Only/114452067621?epid=1900404417&hash=item1aa5dff525:g:vucAAOSwqtZffwSL

CPU Unit only...

I mean it's not wrong, but still...

What about the optical drive, hard drive, etc?

elephants

On 3/21/2014 at 6:37 PM, CtW said:

I too have 2 screens but use them for LTT and youtube INSTEAD of doing homework. I have a horrible procrastination problem and is effects are amplified by the fact that I'm taking 2 honors math classes (I love math and science and am quite smart) and both are taught by the same teacher so you can tell  how much of a hell my life could become if I miss the homework for both classes on the same day or in general really.

Edit: This thread has now reached 75 followers thanks to me!! I am expecting to hate myself for following this thread in a few days

I do the same thing. I'm getting better at doing my homework (I know the stuff if I practice it), but in August/September/October I had one A, two Bs, four Cs, and a D.

The A was in phys ed, the B in IED (intro to engineering design), the four Cs in everything else but math, and the D in math.

I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

Yay for retakes (now have Bs in everything except English and AP Human Geography, Cs in those).

I also have 2 screens (making a 3rd out of an old laptop screen, come on China)

elephants

People get any kind of basic certification and think they're Wendell. Just witnessed one of these so called "people" arguing that Wifi is just as good as any wired connection in everything. Latency, stability, speed, etc. They have "Tech Professional" in their bio and use the 💯 emoji every time they make a point. He was 100% serious too,

Welp, gonna rip out all the cat5e I ran earlier this year and switch to Wifi. All the time I wasted!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

5 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

People get any kind of basic certification and think they're Wendell. Just witnessed one of these so called "people" arguing that Wifi is just as good as any wired connection in everything. Latency, stability, speed, etc. They have "Tech Professional" in their bio and use the 💯 emoji every time they make a point. He was 100% serious too,

Welp, gonna rip out all the cat5e I ran earlier this year and switch to Wifi. All the time I wasted!

Yikes.

Screenshot_20201112_111242_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.6947d4ceeea5fff5923407dc640d1589.jpg

Average Viewer: It's a piece of alien time-travel tech!

Me: Um......isn't that an off-the-shelf CPU cooler?

Edited by Results45
It's a prop from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 Episode 12

2 hours ago, Results45 said:

Screenshot_20201112_111242_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.6947d4ceeea5fff5923407dc640d1589.jpg

Saw the exact same thing and was like NAAWWWWW and grabbed almost the same thing from the room over like LOOOK I HAVE ALIEN TIME BOMBS TOO! GF was not impressed.

2 hours ago, Results45 said:

It's a piece of alien time-travel tech!

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

LOOOK I HAVE ALIEN TIME BOMBS TOO

rent it for 1000€ per hour to a film production

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Results45 said:

maybe marvel was running out of budget and prop department grabbed a cpu cooler

but hey thats a pretty good idea for a prop alot of props are made with random things

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I said I didn't have any stories from my family.

I was lying.

Everyone else in my house is decently tech literate, and at least knows how to move things to and from a flash drive.

Not so with my brother.

He wanted to play some music, so I told him to download the music files and put them on an empty flash drive I gave him. Note that he is using a Chromebook.

The following dialogue may cause cringe (B is younger brother, M is me):

B: "What do you mean?"
M: "The music files. Download the music files."
B: "What do you mean by the music files?"
M: <gives up and does it for him>
B: "Now what?"
M: <tosses him 1GB flash drive> "Put those files on here."
B: <proceeds to try and jam flash drive into an HDMI port>

M: "Stop! You'll break it!" <grabs flash drive and puts it in correct port>

M: <sighs inwardly> "Put the music files on the flash drive."

B: "Ok."

M: <goes to use bathroom>

B: <during this, he comes up> "Can you help?"

M: Wait until I'm done.

B: <waits> "Ok, now what?"
M: <sighs quietly but still audible> "Take those files you just downloaded and put them on that. It's called DD."

B: "How?"
M: "Open Files, go to Recent, take the .mp3 files, and put them on DD."

B: "Ok." <proceeds to open Chrome, type 'Recent', then be confused"
M: <gives up> "Like this." <does it in 20 seconds>

M: Take the flash drive and plug it into the sound bar (we have a sound bar with a USB port that you can play .wav and .mp3 music from). Then set it to the USB source; there's a chart on the side of the Wii."

B: "The Rii?"
M: "The WII. (granted, I have braces)" <repeat x5>

B: "Oh, the Wii."
M: "Yes, that's what I said."

B: <gets the flash drive in the port, but doesn't understand how to set it to the USB source>

M: "I'm done. Go ask Dad."

B: <goes downstairs. I hear this.> "Dad, how do you set the sound bar to be a USB?"

elephants

12 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I said I didn't have any stories from my family.

I was lying.

Everyone else in my house is decently tech literate, and at least knows how to move things to and from a flash drive.

Not so with my brother.

He wanted to play some music, so I told him to download the music files and put them on an empty flash drive I gave him. Note that he is using a Chromebook.

The following dialogue may cause cringe (B is younger brother, M is me):

B: "What do you mean?"
M: "The music files. Download the music files."
B: "What do you mean by the music files?"
M: <gives up and does it for him>
M: <tosses him 1GB flash drive> "Put those files on here."
B: <proceeds to try and jam flash drive into an HDMI port>

M: "Stop! You'll break it!" <grabs flash drive and puts it in correct port>

M: <sighs inwardly> "Put the music files on the flash drive."

B: "Ok."

M: <goes to use bathroom>

B: <during this, he comes up> "Can you help?"

M: Wait until I'm done.

B: <waits> "Ok, now what?"
M: <sighs quietly but still audible> "Take those files you just downloaded and put them on that. It's called DD."

B: "How?"
M: "Open Files, go to Recent, take the .mp3 files, and put them on DD."

B: "Ok." <proceeds to open Chrome, type 'Recent', then be confused"
M: <gives up> "Like this." <does it in 20 seconds>

M: Take the flash drive and plug it into the sound bar (we have a sound bar with a USB port that you can play .wav and .mp3 music from). Then set it to the USB source; there's a chart on the side of the Wii."

B: "The Rii?"
M: "The WII. (granted, I have braces)" <repeat x5>

B: "Oh, the Wii."
M: "Yes, that's what I said."

B: <gets the flash drive in the port, but doesn't understand how to set it to the USB source>

M: "I'm done. Go ask Dad."

B: <goes downstairs. I hear this.> "Dad, how do you set the sound bar to be a USB?"

What in the world did I just read, how old is he?

1606105693694.png

On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Results45 said:

I just finished watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. over the weekend (Seasons 1-7 since September 2020) and I saw that after seeing this on the forum back then and man, had a good laugh out of that! Or look at the circuit box and its just a motherboard without a CPU in its socket in the show on Zephyr 1 when they were stuck in the time loop. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"