Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Never read comments under Digital Foundry's videos, they are full of fanboys and non techies.

brb...

EDIT: Worse than average, but not too bad...

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Never read comments under Digital Foundry's videos, they are full of fanboys and non techies.

There are also some old tech sites that have also lost its touch. Techies have move on to other sites, so now they're replaced with mostly non-techies, who barely don't understand what's going on and are too afraid ask question on builds.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There are also some old tech sites that have also lost its touch. Techies have move on to other sites, so now they're replaced with mostly non-techies, who barely don't understand what's going on and are too afraid ask question on builds.

Speaking of which, do you know any good tech news sites I should use? I used to use TechSpot but their reviews are biased and their news tends to come a little late, etc. so I don't use them much.

Specs:

4 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Speaking of which, do you know any good tech news sites I should use? I used to use TechSpot but their reviews are biased and their news tends to come a little late, etc. so I don't use them much.

There used to be a lot, now there is barely any. Only ones I see that somewhat keeps updating with latest tech news is TechPowerUp. The other everyone tries to avoid is WCCF, it articles can mostly be written with just 1 sentence, yet they managed to turned it to a essay by repeating previous articles and adding a bunch of charts. Then there is their comment section. filled with immature retards who always spew this nvidia vs amd nonsense.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

41 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There used to be a lot, now there is barely any. Only ones I see that somewhat keeps updating with latest tech news is TechPowerUp. The other everyone tries to avoid is WCCF, it articles can mostly be written with just 1 sentence, yet they managed to turned it to a essay by repeating previous articles and adding a bunch of charts. Then there is their comment section. filled with immature retards who always spew this nvidia vs amd nonsense.

Thanks! I don't want more than one anyways, too much work to check.

Specs:

I'm not certified to fix computers. But I have on occasion helped friends and family. On more than one occasion over the phone"is it plugged in" solved the problem. The absolute worst case was this computer is on and working but the screen was flickering. The case had both sides panels off and was electrified. I mean shocking not quite an electric fence but very noticeable. I was amazed it was still working, and unable to help them. 

27 minutes ago, Cla55ifi3xd said:

I'm not certified to fix computers. But I have on occasion helped friends and family. On more than one occasion over the phone"is it plugged in" solved the problem. The absolute worst case was this computer is on and working but the screen was flickering. The case had both sides panels off and was electrified. I mean shocking not quite an electric fence but very noticeable. I was amazed it was still working, and unable to help them. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I don't know what it is about computers that just makes people lose their minds!  Give them anything else - a light, clothes iron, electric kettle, etc. - and they'll figure out it needs to be PLUGGED IN, but swap that for a compute rand suddenly all bets are off. xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

My favorite site is personally Anandtech. They tend to have very well written un-biased reviews, but as for timeliness... It takes a long time to write a good quality review and so... Their review on the rx 480... Isn't out yet... Yeah. Generally their large reviews are a few months late due to the fact that they aren't sampled early and it takes them a long time to write their reviews.

Their news is ok and all the major and some of the minor news is covered, but you won't find some of the small news or rumors there.

I generally check Anandtech for major news and reviews as well as some hands on (for example their hands on of the pixel is my favorite) but then I check wccftech (ONLY, ONLY because every single tech rumor on the internet ends up on that site so it's good ONLY for me to check up on what rumors are floating around. I don't take them as a real tech news and reviews website). It works well for me and I generally catch hold of all the news floating around.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Went on a hunt for sdram for a w98 games box I keep around, saleman at the shop had to go ask a tech because he "wanted to get me the best since sdram was a new format". Shop owner came out with a couple of 64mb sticks which he gave to me, needless to say the sale guy looks pretty embarrassed. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

4 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Went on a hunt for sdram for a w98 games box I keep around, saleman at the shop had to go ask a tech because he "wanted to get me the best since sdram was a new format". Shop owner came out with a couple of 64mb sticks which he gave to me, needless to say the sale guy looks pretty embarrassed. 

Wow, look at these high-tech, new 64mb RAM sticks! Much wow, so new!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wow, look at these high-tech, new 64mb RAM sticks! Much wow, so new!

Yea it was a bit funny, I forgave the guy pretty quickly I worked sales when I was younger (looked barely out of high school). Gotta learn sometime

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

OOOH MY FUCKING GOD I LOST IT TODAY.

I was in a school library and a friend (faasi boi) was showing me a hp omen laptop. And i asked him which exact omen was he gonna buy. He went and showed he a pic of a omen on the google images. I FUCKING FLIPPED MY SHIT. Was kicked form the library. I usually dont over react but this guy kept on saying stupid shit and then i flipped when he showd me the pic and yes i am very irritable today  

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

5 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

I was in a school library and a friend (faasi boi) was showing me a hp omen laptop. And i asked him which exact omen was he gonna buy. He went and showed he a pic of a omen on the google images. I FUCKING FLIPPED MY SHIT. Was kicked form the library. I usually dont over react but this guy kept on saying stupid shit and then i flipped when he showd me the pic and yes i am very irritable today  

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

:ph34r: note to self: dont piss off @DeezNoNos

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 hours ago, Cla55ifi3xd said:

Ooooh yea i know a pc myself that has this issue.

You should check if the pc is grounded, having power going through the chassis means there is electrical leakage and it has nowhere to go so it just powers the case basically...

You might need to dive into the wiring of the house and maybe check electrical diagrams of it to figure out the issue.

Or call an electrician, where i live you aren't suppose to mess with it unless you are certified because if you mess up, cause a short and your house burns down it's your own fault and it's goodbye insurance.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

May I ask, why exactly were you

IMG_2185.JPG

Spoiler

Seriously though what about it made you TRIGGERED.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Might want to drink some tea before you blow out an O-ring or something. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 10/3/2016 at 1:41 PM, wkdpaul said:

*sigh*

Got to work to discover lots of tickets about people being unable to login because of password change ... Despite the numerous emails, and the warning when changing your password, people are still using a broken portal. (Portal works, and still needs to be used, but the password change through it is broken, we have a ticket for it with the software manufacturer but it's not being taken care of).

The average user still clicks "OK" without reading ... Then complain about things not working and that we should issue a warning ... REALLY??? HOW ABOUT READING THE FUCKIN WARNING YOU GOT RIGHT BEFORE CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD!??!!!?

I know how you feel, I'm a Telecommunications Engineering Manager. 

I sent out a few alerts to a specific company the other day to alert them their EFM line would be down for 15 minutes during a set time period due to a service migration. Guess what.... they called and started complaining and demanded compensation.

I will do this in your manor:

HOW ABOUT READING THE FUCKING E-MAILS WE SENT PRIOR TO THE MIGRATION.  

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Ooooh yea i know a pc myself that has this issue.

You should check if the pc is grounded, having power going through the chassis means there is electrical leakage and it has nowhere to go so it just powers the case basically...

You might need to dive into the wiring of the house and maybe check electrical diagrams of it to figure out the issue.

Or call an electrician, where i live you aren't suppose to mess with it unless you are certified because if you mess up, cause a short and your house burns down it's your own fault and it's goodbye insurance.

I think it was an compaq from 10-15 years ago they spent like 25$ for it monitor, keyboard, and mouse included. I told them it wasn't worth putting any real time or money into. 

Just now, Cla55ifi3xd said:

I think it was an compaq from 10-15 years ago they spent like 25$ for it monitor, keyboard, and mouse included. I told them it wasn't worth putting any real time or money into. 

Yeah true if it was indeed the fault of the psu it's fine.

But if the psu is fine and the power leaking is caused by something else, it should be investigated what the cause of it is then because you are wasting money and power and you don't want to put power on random things that shouldn't have electricity.

If something metal is charged it's very sensitive to static discharges and can spark all over the place, and if that happens when a piece of paper is close or something else that can catch fire, you have a dangerous situation.

So if it's just the pc and accept the risks, sure you shouldn't.

But if it's not the pc you have to fix it. Electricity in your house is sadly not always nice...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Quick backstory, i'm getting an education in IT, in my class we have several people above the age of 25

So this woman in my class said that her son built a PC, she offered to help him build it but he refused saying that he "certainly did not need ANY help from his mom". First mistake he did was that he bought a motherboard with the wrong socket for the CPU he had bought.  After buying another motherboard with the right socket he decided he could not afford to spend any more money. The thing is, he had not bought a hard drive yet! So she gave him a hard drive from an old build. How many hours has it been running you ask? Oh, just a measly 34.000 hours xD

To be fair the kid is like 12, but i'm pretty sure he has learned to ask his mom for help from now on xD 

1 hour ago, cummerou1 said:

Quick backstory, i'm getting an education in IT, in my class we have several people above the age of 25

So this woman in my class said that her son built a PC, she offered to help him build it but he refused saying that he "certainly did not need ANY help from his mom". First mistake he did was that he bought a motherboard with the wrong socket for the CPU he had bought.  After buying another motherboard with the right socket he decided he could not afford to spend any more money. The thing is, he had not bought a hard drive yet! So she gave him a hard drive from an old build. How many hours has it been running you ask? Oh, just a measly 34.000 hours xD

To be fair the kid is like 12, but i'm pretty sure he has learned to ask his mom for help from now on xD 

Do you mean 34,000? Cause right now it says 34.000 which is the same as 34 :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

in some parts of europe 34000 point 5 would be said as 34.000,5

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

4 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

in some parts of europe 34000 point 5 would be said as 34.000,5

Yup, actually 34.000 IS the right one... In America, IDK why, instead of saying, for example 'Three COMMA four' (3,4) they say 'Three POINT four', and that's actually wrong. In the rest of the world except for GB and its colonies the comma is used.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

12 minutes ago, arvark said:

Yup, actually 34.000 IS the right one... In America, IDK why, instead of saying, for example 'Three COMMA four' (3,4) they say 'Three POINT four', and that's actually wrong. In the rest of the world except for GB and its colonies the comma is used.

There's not a right or wrong way, the way to write numbers is so diverse it's sometimes confusing, especially when you're bilingual (in Canada numbers and dates format changes depending on the language you use even though we're one country!).

Also some countries don't separate at every 1000, so for my wife (Chinese) it's even more confusing!

Interesting wiki page on the subject;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

16 hours ago, DocSwag said:

In Europe we use periods like you use comma´s, at least when writing out numbers. Can make it very confusing when transferring money from a European corporation to an American one, or discussing prices.