Experiences with non-techies

The dumbasses that think that because their package manager works across multiple operating systems, it means that those operating systems use the same versions of those programs and packages.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

58 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The dumbasses that think that because their package manager works across multiple operating systems, it means that those operating systems use the same versions of those programs and packages.

Who exactly

Recently had a coworker of mine, who was not one I'd consider a tech novice, make a couple back-to-back mistakes that evaporated his tech cred. 

He recently spec'd (without consulting me as he usually does) then built an i5 9600K + RTX 2070 rig, but it would not POST. After going over his specs, I figured he typo'd when he said he had a Z170 board. Nope, he really did have a Z170 board with a Coffeelake processor. Told him he could potentially use the Z170 board, but it would involve a little bit of risk with a BIOS mod, but there's no point in doing that for a brand new rig. The logical thing to do was exchange the board for a Z370 board, which he did.

But the machine still would not POST... come to find that he didn't connect the 2x4 pin auxiliary power, but his PSU only had a single 4-pin connector.  His solution was to get a molex to 8-pin PCI-Express adapter, which he did without consulting me and obviously would not work. ?

I work tech support with one of the biggest tech manufacturers in the world. This company, we'll call them Elppa, had so many customers that know NOTHING. Worst one so far was me explaining to someone what the Home button was on their jPhone. When it comes to computers....UGH. Had an 80 year old man make me explain to him how websites are made because he wanted to know why the HTML file he saved only worked when it was in the folder with the assets it needed.

Edited by Chrionz
Grammar

The fact that Linus has two first names bothers me to my very core.

11 hours ago, Chrionz said:

I work tech support with one of the biggest tech manufacturers in the world. This company, we'll call them Elppa, had so many customers that know NOTHING. Worst one so far was me explaining to someone what the Home button was on their jPhone. When it comes to computers....UGH. Had an 80 year old man make me explain to him how websites are made because he wanted to know why the HTML file he saved only worked when it was in the folder with the assets it needed.

In such a moment I'd rather explain Quantum Physics to a Gold fish ? At least it can not reply with dumb questions.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

One time my granda told me fill her phone up with songs and she would pay me 20 dollars later so i did and i eventually forgot about the 20 bucks one day my cuzin was using her phone to text her bf and deleated all the songs by accident because it had no sapce for texts (old ass phone) does not have wifi . so my grandma thought i hacked her phone threw the cell network and deleated her songs cuz she didnt pay up ahahahahha

I do IT work in a fairly large school, here's some recent examples: 

One of the teachers called me the other day to tell me she lost the remote to her smartboard. She has one of the new projector-less models which do not come with remotes. Teacher swears she's been using a "smartboard remote thing" for a year. I still haven't figured out what kind of remote she had or what she could have possibly been doing with it.

I get one or two calls per month with someone telling me their computer is broken. It's not turned on. 

A rather large office assistant used a pc as a step-stool. Did not end well for the assistant or the machine. 

You'd be amazed at the amount of people that can't master the fine art of logging into outlook. 

37 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Just to remind you that some people think an 8th gen CPU is twice as fast as a 4th gen CPU.

Some people think that AMD still runs slow and hot.

I feel like this isn't the first time you've posted this.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I was chatting with a girl yesterday and she confused Facebook with the word Feedback ?‍♂️?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

i have a bunch of relatives who all give up at the slightest hickup and think "throwing it away and gettig a new one" is a genuine solution to tech problems. most of them old but some are younger than me just not tech savy at all. and its irritating as hell its like ou went to your car mechanic and he told you you didnt fill in the right fuel so now he has to do abunch of work and fix it. and then they go "this happens more and more often its probably time to just throw the thing away and get a new one". just treat your stuff right and its fine. but busing it day to day adn then complaining about it breaking all the time makes me wanna punch family members.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

53 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Some people think that AMD still runs slow and hot.

well...isnt it still the case that AMD tends to have higher TDP at similar performance? i might be one of those people because i having checked on AMDs performance since they came out with Ryzen. is it cooler now than intel at similar performance?

also CPU maybe but GPU they surely do have a hard time keeping up with efficiency

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

6 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well...isnt it still the case that AMD tends to have higher TDP at similar performance? i might be one of those people because i having checked on AMDs performance since they came out with Ryzen. is it cooler now than intel at similar performance?

also CPU maybe but GPU they surely do have a hard time keeping up with efficiency

Their CPUs are just as efficient as Intel's CPUs.

Their GPUs tend to have a bit worse TDP than Nvidia but it's usually not a problem.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Their CPUs are just as efficient as Intel's CPUs.

Their GPUs tend to have a bit worse TDP than Nvidia but it's usually not a problem.

Actually Ryzen processors run cooler and draw less power than Intel processors, they operate at slightly lower performance but with much better power consumption

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 4/11/2019 at 6:11 PM, Pascal... said:

In such a moment I'd rather explain Quantum Physics to a Gold fish ? At least it can not reply with dumb questions.

Tbh a goldfish might actually pay attention to you longer and doesn't interrupt you halfway either

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

On 1/17/2013 at 12:29 AM, Salmiakbal said:

click

The Most Common:

Friends: You are very tech savvy, which brand pc do u own

Me: Its not a pre-built, the computer shop custom built it for my budget specifically 

Friends: But which pc?

Me: Shall i tell u the specs?

Friends: What are specs?

Me: The Specifications of the computer

Friends: Then tell it

Me: Pentium G630.......(tech blabber) 

Friends: wtf are u talking ?

Me: My pc specs 

Friends: But which pc is it?

Me: Which pc do u own then?

Friends: (They usually just say the brand of the cd drive or the case)

P.S i also have very tech savvy friends as well and i only talk tech in front of them so that this doesn't happen

And i always have people having heard fake tech news and asking me about it which is like the most annoying thing ever and they keep saying that if i use a vpn to play pubg pc lite, police will catch and arrest me!!!! LIKE REALLY???

1. My school spent much money on buying teachers Macbook Pros...The only applications teachers use are MS Office Products, and Chrome. Also a teacher  calling an Acer Alpha 12 a Surface Pro.

Me: Why don't you just buy some XPS laptops or something? 

IT: They aren't good enough.

Me: dafuq

2. We have a max of 20 Windows laptops/desktops in the school. 10 Acer Alpha 12's, 10 Surface Pros, and a grand total of 2 desktops...both for librarian/actually knowledgable IT person use... The rest are Macs or standard-issue Acer R11 Chromebooks...*Scream*

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

oof my mom complains her computer is running out of storage and i ask her if she wants me to upgrade it or move some files onto an external drive..she says "no it's fine" *facedisk* and she complains her computer is slow...WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM A CELERON?!?!?!? :eyeroll:

my friend says AMD is trash...i'm like "wot 5 of the 6 desktop towers you have use amd processors" ? he thinks that Athlon isn't AMD

my other friend has a rtx 2080ti and i7-8700k(i think) and only plays roblox, overwatch, and this game called zombsroyale...and i'm stuck with a celeron and intel graphics

another friend insists his pc is good because it's expensive and he got it from best buy...one day his pc broke and he took it to best buy to get it fixed...SUPRISE SUPRISE they just reinstalled windows and he had to pay like $200...i'm like "why didn't you use a wonderful tool called google?!?!?!?!?" and you have another "pc" to do that...IT'S CALLED YOUR SCHOOL-ISSUED CHROMEBOOK" needless to say he's not my friend anymore bc he's just annoying

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Just now, Schnoz said:

O O F. I can't wait until AMD launches their 7nm processors, when they can FINALLY assert a definite performance and efficiency advantage over Intel. Tell your peers that an SSD will make their PC faster (because it does).

DM me and I can mail you a working HD 7790 that I don't need.

i don't even have a PCIe slot or anything like that...waiting for rog rig reboot bc why not, i have multiple pcs i can borrow for a week at a time(this is why i'm glad i have a volunteer position at a engineering for kids thing)

Spoiler

Presenting: A New Episode of Stupid Quotes from Non-Techies!

"Intel Graphics 4000 is better than a 2080 Ti because the numbers are higher!"

"Ryzen is better than Xeon because Ryzen has more letters!"

"I bet you don't know anything about computers because you've never built one!"

"My PC is good because it has an i3 in it!"

"Ctrl+Mouse Wheel makes your PC faster!"

Tune in next time for another episode of "Stupid Quotes from Non-Techies"!

Spoiler

Fuck the jackass Android devs that put in a toggle to disable automatic update systems that don't do anything.

At least Microsoft's hidden setting has a 'will not work with x versions' in the description in GPE.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Fuck the jackass Android devs that put in a toggle to disable automatic update systems that don't do anything.

At least Microsoft's hidden setting has a 'will not work with x versions' in the description in GPE.

Android apps have toggles to disable automatic updates or are you talking abou the Play Store?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Android apps have toggles to disable automatic updates or are you talking abou the Play Store?

Not talking about app updates.

But that toggle is semi broken too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

So yesterday my science sub struggled to get audio over HDMI...the projector didn't have speakers.

I've seen someone try to put RAM in a PCIe slot and they broke their RAM and the PCIe slot.

"I have an RTX 4080 Ti"

"I have a Core i11"

"i9-9900K is trash, it can't run Minecraft."

"What's AMD? Some RAM making company?"

"What's Corsair?"

"My PC is 27 inches!"

"480p is good!"

@Schnoz Ask and you shall receive.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

680 times 6 equals 4080, so maybe he just did a 4-way SLI and glued a few more on top.

NVLink SLI bridges and nonsense are for scrubs, true men of culture use duct tape and super-glue for SLI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Peasant. I used duct tape to build my entire GPU by myself xD /s

Get on my level. I used only superglue and duct tape to build my entire system! /s

Spoiler