windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

Windows Vista still is the best!

On a serious note im still in love with windows 7.
I have win 8.1 on my laptop but it just..... No...
Win 7 takes my heart anyday.

And 99% of the people that do have skewed reasons as to why.

I simply think it is impractical and nothing worth to upgrade for. Deinstalled it on my notebook eventhough it was 'touch', installed win7 on it and didn't work smooth so just bought a mac air and boom, great.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

So great estetic changes and 1 feature which is not really a feature since its nothing new >start menu.

So what are the actual features/improvements?

-Does windows perform better?

-Does it have better protection?

-Does it finally have a revamped /improved media player that i dont need to setup with a thousand settings to look good like madVR and i dont have to install so many codecs?

-Does it have directx12?

-Does it actually have more customization?till now its still imposible for me to change windows8.1 startup sound,yes thats right i tried all registry hacks n stuff you cant even do that.

-Does it allow for a much easier implementation of custom themes? and why doesnt windows already feature built-in dark theme.And NO im not gonna use high contrast stupidity themes.We need actual Dark theme for windows built-in like Visual Studio express dark theme an example,or photoshop,everythings dark gray theme.

-Did it get rid of the winSxs folder which is eating a ton of SSD space?

-Does it use less ram yet?i still dont get it how win xp got away with as little as 100mb ram idle usage, and all vista/7/8 can do is 1gb and above and thats with no extra prog installed or running,even with a classic theme and no wallpapers.

Guess no real improvements/features.

8.1 + classic shell lol

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

If it's free, cool. If it's a fairly small download cool. If it costs money, fuck it. If it's a huge download, fuck it.

AFAIK windows isos get compressed enough to fit on a dvd, so it should be less that 4.7GB

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So you could have downloaded a software that does this.

yep, and it's called Ubuntu. Not that is is the only OS nor the first to natively feature this.

no it left. its like walking into a new house and the couch is bench. yes its there but its not the same. 

Explain how the desktop left? I don't understand how it left because I have been using Windows 8.0 and 8.1 since releases and have been using the desktop on them every day.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

It costs less to just buy start8.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

So great estetic changes and 1 feature which is not really a feature since its nothing new >start menu.

So what are the actual features/improvements?

-Does windows perform better?

-Does it have better protection?

-Does it finally have a revamped /improved media player that i dont need to setup with a thousand settings to look good like madVR and i dont have to install so many codecs?

-Does it have directx12?

-Does it actually have more customization?till now its still imposible for me to change windows8.1 startup sound,yes thats right i tried all registry hacks n stuff you cant even do that.

-Does it allow for a much easier implementation of custom themes? and why doesnt windows already feature built-in dark theme.And NO im not gonna use high contrast stupidity themes.We need actual Dark theme for windows built-in like Visual Studio express dark theme an example,or photoshop,everythings dark gray theme.

-Did it get rid of the winSxs folder which is eating a ton of SSD space?

-Does it use less ram yet?i still dont get it how win xp got away with as little as 100mb ram idle usage, and all vista/7/8 can do is 1gb and above and thats with no extra prog installed or running,even with a classic theme and no wallpapers.

Guess no real improvements/features.

Please stop acting stupid. You are better than this.

You perfectly know that this is a leaked build screen shots, and we don;t even know if it's 6 month old or yesterday's build (if any), and Microsoft is keeping everything under wraps.

You know that September 30th is when Microsoft will announce the Preview of Windows 9, meaning in development/alpha builds, and it will be obviously unpolished, buggy, and only less than a handful of feature available. And throughout the preview cycle, every now and then, new features will be released, numerous updates will be released, improves things, bug fix, and so on. Usually the back end stuff is done at this point (that means the API are done, kernel level changes and improvements, and so on, but not or not all implementations of the APIs to make a feature, or is incomplete, or is ready, but not ready enough to be publicly available in the preview), and the basic testing stages are done. The GUI is about ~10% of what an OS is, hence why it is kept last.

Looks nice to me. I'm planning to upgrade from 7 when this comes out. 

Hopefully it's not $100 this time.

...It's so ugly x_x why must they do this to us (well, to anyone who agrees with me) I think.. I'll stick with windows 7 I guess :S or .. stop at 8.1 sp1 (hoping the make one..) and just put start is back on it :(

-Tony

...It's so ugly x_x why must they do this to us (well, to anyone who agrees with me) I think.. I'll stick with windows 7 I guess :S or .. stop at 8.1 sp1 (hoping the make one..) and just put start is back on it :(

@GoodBytes addressed this 3 posts up from yours here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/213178-windows-9-desktop-screenshot-leaks-lots-of-new-features/page-5#entry2907215

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

It still looks like they are trying to combine two asthetic styles side by side instead of merging them.  At least the workflow should be more seamless now.

Program and application do mean the same thing, but what he was referring to was the term 'app'. Apps are not the same as full programs and applications. Apps are small, lightweight 'half-programs' designed to run on small devices like smartphones and typically need to be acquired through a very restrictive central store. There is a very clear difference between the 'apps' you run on your phone and the application/programs you use on your desktop/laptop and I don't appreciate the blurring together of the two definitions. Yes, at one point app was short for application, but this is no longer true, its picked up a separate definition of its own.

That is like saying microphone and mic are different things because people with phones typically say mic and people with PCs typically say microphone (just using this as an example, no clue if true), and since a phone mic is smaller than a typical mic used for a PC it is justifiable...

So even by that logic all the applications in the Windows store are still to be considered "apps " as they are "lightweight half programs from a centralized store". So the guy who was complaining that they called them apps shouldn't be complaining.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS561US561&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=define%3A%20app

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App

There is no blurring the two together, one is a derivative of the other. Application/App are have a definition that blankets a lot of things.

Looks nice to me. I'm planning to upgrade from 7 when this comes out. 

Hopefully it's not $100 this time.

I too hope it's not too expensive. A nice 50$ upgrade or less from Windows 7 would be perfect. However, is 100$ too expensive for a software/OS that you use pretty much everyday ? I paid my Win7 Pro 140$CDN and don't regret it. Yes, Linux is free. But Linux isn't for everyone yet.

I'm not just talking about the aesthetic of color and shape, I'm talking about the cramming those stupid menu elements (the large news, store, mail etc) into a start menu first of all, cause I always go to my computer specs, access my control panel and administrative controls from the side they've replaced and I like them there cause they've been there for years.. (the right screen fly-out was the stupidest thing ever). the icons (specifically the windows folder) have changed and it fits the style they're changing to.. so that seems like it might be a near sure design and it looks terrible :/ . the addition of a notifications button too... bothers me cause I already hate that they put a bunch of stuff in the bottom right (although, in windows 8 they added the ability to hide most of these so that's a HUGE plus.. hopefully this will be another optional thing and not forced). The what looks to be search and window.. transition?? buttons in the bottom left better be optional.. if it has anything to do with the 16th image ( http://pics.computerbase.de/6/0/0/7/8/20_m.png ) I don't like that feature at all, it looks identical to Apple's virtual desktops.. and I preffer just having multiple screens that i can turn my eyes to see, not push buttons to flip back and forth (again, probably optional, but completely not innovative on Microsoft's part.. ) 

Most of these things don't seem very temporary.. It's very much in the works, granted they may flesh out a few things, give them a bit of paint and a buff.. but I'm just old fashioned in liking things how they were, xp was great, windows 7 didn't throw you too far off a cliff with a learning curve or much change and now they're shoving it all down your throat.. Windows most iconic feature IS it's start button.. and now they've tried to completely change it, that upsets me :( if I can have the benefits of more efficient programming in windows 8.1 .. with my windows 7 start button (I don't care if they change the style a little bit but don't take it's functionality and DON'T replace it with large ugly square colored buttons .. :| )

s6ufzo.jpg

That's all :)

-Tony

I'm not just talking about the aesthetic of color and shape, I'm talking about the cramming those stupid menu elements (the large news, store, mail etc) into a start menu first of all, cause I always go to my computer specs, access my control panel and administrative controls from the side they've replaced and I like them there cause they've been there for years.. (the right screen fly-out was the stupidest thing ever). the icons (specifically the windows folder) have changed and it fits the style they're changing to.. so that seems like it might be a near sure design and it looks terrible :/ . the addition of a notifications button too... bothers me cause I already hate that they put a bunch of stuff in the bottom right (although, in windows 8 they added the ability to hide most of these so that's a HUGE plus.. hopefully this will be another optional thing and not forced). The what looks to be search and window.. transition?? buttons in the bottom left better be optional.. if it has anything to do with the 16th image ( http://pics.computerbase.de/6/0/0/7/8/20_m.png ) I don't like that feature at all, it looks identical to Apple's virtual desktops.. and I preffer just having multiple screens that i can turn my eyes to see, not push buttons to flip back and forth (again, probably optional, but completely not innovative on Microsoft's part.. ) 

Most of these things don't seem very temporary.. It's very much in the works, granted they may flesh out a few things, give them a bit of paint and a buff.. but I'm just old fashioned in liking things how they were, xp was great, windows 7 didn't throw you too far off a cliff with a learning curve or much change and now they're shoving it all down your throat.. Windows most iconic feature IS it's start button.. and now they've tried to completely change it, that upsets me :( if I can have the benefits of more efficient programming in windows 8.1 .. with my windows 7 start button (I don't care if they change the style a little bit but don't take it's functionality and DON'T replace it with large ugly square colored buttons .. :| )

s6ufzo.jpg

That's all :)

For the Start Menu:

You can remove them and put folders, or nothing at all.

For the Start Menu:

You can remove them and put folders, or nothing at all.

any idea on if i can get my quick access to control panel and admin options? :S

-Tony

any idea on if i can get my quick access to control panel and admin options? :S

Yes. Exactly like in Windows 8. You just right-click on the start button, and the power menu shows up:

650x456xwindows-8.1-shut-down-from-power

They are ways to customize it also. And they are free programs that makes it easy for you.

I change UI colors, transparency, icons add rainmeter widgets and remove metro UI so really all I'm looking for is improved functionality and less resource needs. Everyone can make their OS look how they want if they bother to take the time.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |