windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

Agreed, hopefully all icons will change and fit better, and I hope that explorer icon is for experimentation on that build and not final.

Unless Microsoft returns to Aero, than Vista/Win7 icons will fit fine.

Let's play a game:

Do you think the registry icon will be updated? I say no, and will remain in its 16 color glory form :)

I hope they keep regedit the way it is just for nostalgia.

Speaking of Aero and what I hope, I really hope they bring back transparency. I think it looks so much better than the opaque borders. At the very least they should give you the option to turn it on/off (if it was removed for performance concerns).

I just have a few questions. Do you own a smart phone. If so what apps do you use on it and how often do you use them?

I mostly use it to actually call people and text, other than that I got a map app for when I have no idea where I am, the public transport app for departure time of buses and the flashlight app that I rarely use. I don't do "gaming" on a phone, most of the time I'm at home anyway so I'd rather play on my PC/is in a place I can't use the phone. I don't need dedicated buttons/applications for that stuff on my desktop PC, a simple bookmark in my browser is more than enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Speaking of Aero and what I hope, I really hope they bring back transparency. I think it looks so much better than the opaque borders. At the very least they should give you the option to turn it on/off (if it was removed for performance concerns).

I love Aero. Still do. I'm not sure why they had to flattenize everything. (yes, I realize that's not a word) The past few years of UI design shall henceforth be known as "the flattening."

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

All these right angles heavily remind be of the "classic" interface (the standard up to 2000 ^^)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I love Aero. Still do. I'm not sure why they had to flattenize everything. (yes, I realize that's not a word) The past few years of UI design shall henceforth be known as "the flattening."

this, the flat design isn't bad but at least put a little shadow effect on it, to break it a bit, or just put aero on everything, lol

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

this, the flat design isn't bad but at least put a little shadow effect on it, to break it a bit, or just put aero on everything, lol

I think it has shadows but I miss all the glass effects...I guess they're considered "tacky" but honestly for me it made Windows Windows. I obviously am still a user but I'm no longer its biggest proponent, to no small part of the UI design.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I think it has shadows but I miss all the glass effects...I guess they're considered "tacky" but honestly for me it made Windows Windows. I obviously am still a user but I'm no longer its biggest proponent, to no small part of the UI design.

that makes sense, never though about it that way, i'm now expecting they put aero back even more now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

that makes sense, never though about it that way, i'm now expecting they put aero back even more now

I don't think they will. It would be a strange 180 for them, and up until Windows 8, they didn't do 180s. Now I'm not sure though.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't think they will. It would be a strange 180 for them, and up until Windows 8, they didn't do 180s. Now I'm not sure though.

With the amount of 180s they have pulled with the Xbox One alone (separate division, I know), I have no clue which direction Microsoft is heading now.

So, basically, anything can happen. These past few years have been rough for the company, we can at least agree on that.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

These past few years have been rough for the company, we can at least agree on that.

Except for @GoodBytes.

Oh dear...I've summoned him.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

aaaand I actually agree with Colonel_Gerdauf

Wow. I thought you believed Microsoft WASN'T struggling?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Man I did all that video cutting and uploading, and I didn't get you to smile. Oh well.

Wow. I thought you believed Microsoft WASN'T struggling?

Struggling yes, D00000000000Med no. Microsoft stock is also going up, which is a nice feat considering that under Steve Ballmer, Microsoft stock was essentially flat. So, whatever Microsoft is doing now, it is sure pleasing its shareholder.

msstock.png

I mostly use it to actually call people and text, other than that I got a map app for when I have no idea where I am, the public transport app for departure time of buses and the flashlight app that I rarely use. I don't do "gaming" on a phone, most of the time I'm at home anyway so I'd rather play on my PC/is in a place I can't use the phone. I don't need dedicated buttons/applications for that stuff on my desktop PC, a simple bookmark in my browser is more than enough.

There are certain apps I do use that are from the store. I do use the mail apps, calander, weather, maps, games and a few others. There are useful easy apps to use on the windows store i have found. I found a really easy app to download youtube videos. I know there are other apps and even add ons in browsers for that. The store apps aren't useless. Plus things like instagram can now be done on your PC. If you ever get a two in one (as it you can convert the device to a tablet) or a tablet it will be very nice to have those apps. I would say to not judge the fact that windows 9 (aka threshold) has these apps because for you maybe you wouldn't like them but that's not everyone. You don't need to use them. Also, I would suggest to use things like a weather app, calander app as a live tile so that it shows you info. Just look at the tile and you know the temp and some other info. You can also pin basically anything as a tile. A folder, website or what ever. You can pin all that stuff to the start menu then.

Also, they are doing more then what you previously said.

Man I did all that video cutting and uploading, and I didn't get you to smile. Oh well.

Struggling yes, D00000000000Med no. Microsoft stock is also going up, which is a nice feat considering that under Steve Ballmer, Microsoft stock was essentially flat. So, whatever Microsoft is doing now, it is sure pleasing its shareholder.

Here's your smile: :P

Either that or it's getting sold short. That's what happened with Apple, and why stocks in general are a bad way to gauge how well a company is doing. I try and find hard numbers but Microsoft haven't given any for SP3 sales yet and previously Surface was nothing but a very expensive waste for them.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There are certain apps I do use that are from the store. I do use the mail apps, calander, weather, maps, games and a few others. There are useful easy apps to use on the windows store i have found. I found a really easy app to download youtube videos. I know there are other apps and even add ons in browsers for that. The store apps aren't useless. Plus things like instagram can now be done on your PC. If you ever get a two in one (as it you can convert the device to a tablet) or a tablet it will be very nice to have those apps. I would say to not judge the fact that windows 9 (aka threshold) has these apps because for you maybe you wouldn't like them but that's not everyone. You don't need to use them. Also, I would suggest to use things like a weather app, calander app as a live tile so that it shows you info. Just look at the tile and you know the temp and some other info. You can also pin basically anything as a tile. A folder, website or what ever. You can pin all that stuff to the start menu then.

Also, they are doing more then what you previously said.

Yes of course for a Tablet/convertable it's great.

But on a desktop PC, no touchscreen, those tiles/applications are not only a waste of space on the screen but also a waste of hard drive space. As most of them are basically apps that shows you the exact same thing you'd find on a website (weather, google calendar, etc.. like you said), which you can just bookmark or put in your speed dial, nothing to install.

I do not use "instagram" or any other social media junk so that's already a lot of apps completely useless to me.

It was also shown that a good bit of the Windows Appstore is pretty much junk/duplicate/scamware, there's really no reason to use that over just installing the applications manually from a respectable source. (considering the last time I browsed that store there was like 10 copies of VLC, some you had to pay, and many more... I'd say that appstore isn't respectable and is a clear "avoid at all cost" especially if it's for people who don't really know much about computers)

I know that what we've seen isn't all, but those are pretty much the "biggest" changes, the rest will most likely be smaller things most users won't really notice.

That said my main complaint is still the ugly UI. I hate the flat colors and blockiness of the whole thing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Here's your smile: :P

Either that or it's getting sold short. That's what happened with Apple, and why stocks in general are a bad way to gauge how well a company is doing. I try and find hard numbers but Microsoft haven't given any for SP3 sales yet and previously Surface was nothing but a very expensive waste for them.

Well, Surface hasn't set the world on fire like iPads but that is still only a very small part of Microsoft.

For total revenue Microsoft has been increasing every year.

FY 2012: 73.7 Billion

FY 2013: 77.8 Billion

FY 2014: 86.8 Billion

The reason why there is total data for 2014 is because Microsoft's fiscal year does not align with the calendar year. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=MSFT&annual

So even if Microsoft takes millions of dollars in a loss on Surface it really doesn't make a huge impact in the total picture.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I feel the same about Windows 9 vs 8, as back when 95 was replaced with 98. MS just took 95, fixed all the bugs and sold it as a new OS, even though for all I and P's it was the same damn thing. 

If you go by their internal numbering system for Windows, it raises an eyebrow.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So even if Microsoft takes millions of dollars in a loss on Surface it really doesn't make a huge impact in the total picture.

Still doesn't make it a good idea though. It doesn't look like good business practice to subsidize a failing product with revenue from your other sales.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I feel the same about Windows 9 vs 8, as back when 95 was replaced with 98. MS just took 95, fixed all the bugs and sold it as a new OS, even though for all I and P's it was the same damn thing. 

If you go by their internal numbering system for Windows, it raises an eyebrow.

You're going that far back? Windows Vista -> 7 is a ridiculously blatant version of that.

You're going that far back? Windows Vista -> 7 is a ridiculously blatant version of that.

touche

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I too hope it's not too expensive. A nice 50$ upgrade or less from Windows 7 would be perfect. However, is 100$ too expensive for a software/OS that you use pretty much everyday ? I paid my Win7 Pro 140$CDN and don't regret it. Yes, Linux is free. But Linux isn't for everyone yet.

I agree... but I think the days of $100 for an OS upgrade are over. Microsoft is realizing that it hurts them worse because people will just turn Win 7 into the next XP and refuse to upgrade.

That being said.... if I think if Win 9 is a worthy upgrade, I would probably pay it.

UPDATE

info about cortana on windows 9 has been added with screenshots, check OP