windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

Also so this is jus windows 8.2 renamed to 9... Microsoft is you screw up marking again your goign to get Windows X and your going to be sued.

Do you have any proof of that? Windows 8.2 was never mentioned by Microsoft.

If you think Windows 9 is just what you see on this, most likely very old build of Windows, then you are mistaken.

Even Windows XP an OS release about 1 years after Windows 2000, had a lot of features over it.

Do you have any proof of that? Windows 8.2 was never mentioned by Microsoft.

If you think Windows 9 is just what you see on this, most likely very old build of Windows, then you are mistaken.

Even Windows XP an OS release about 1 years after Windows 2000, had a lot of features over it.

Well most of then could have been done. the start menu was shown off as in either 8.1 update 2 or 8.2. And the fact that microsoft want to switch to a cheaper yearly release like apple.

XP launched in 2002 (later in the year) if I recall 2000 launched in early 2000 but wasnt it built off of their current server os as it was never mean to replace ME. many games never officially supported 2000 and if I recall ATI did something stupid with their win 2000 drivers.

Most of this likely was going to be in Win 8.2 but when microsft nixed it due bad public reception due a good part to shitty marketing they likely decided to push bunch more stuff forward so youd actually be getting something closer to a new OS rather than a fixed windows 8.

Correction: XP launched in 2001. Please dont blame me blame my memory. :D

Well most of then could have been done. the start menu was shown off as in either 8.1 update 2 or 8.2. And the fact that microsoft want to switch to a cheaper yearly release like apple.

XP launched in 2002 (later in the year) if I recall 2000 launched in early 2000 but wasnt it built off of their current server os as it was never mean to replace ME. many games never officially supported 2000 and if I recall ATI did something stupid with their win 2000 drivers.

Most of this likely was going to be in Win 8.2 but when microsft nixed it due bad public reception due a good part to shitty marketing they likely decided to push bunch more stuff forward so youd actually be getting something closer to a new OS rather than a fixed windows 8.

this isn't the first time they do it, 7 was essentially vista fixed, and a lot of people liked it regardless of not being a patch to vista, also we don't even know when the OS is going to launch, for all we could know this is just testing UI and not final at all, or just a bunch of placeholder to test most important stuff

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

XP was release in August 2001, and Windows 2000 was released in February 2000.

XP was based on Windows 2000. Windows 2000 didn't sale well. It was Microsoft mistake. the goal was to migrate to 1 OS (NT core for everyone), but someone had the brilliant idea for Windows Me, which was a quick patch of Windows 2000 and Windows 98, to try and support Windows 9x programs, but have Windows 2000. I understand the idea, but I am not sure if it's poor execution or something that is simply impossible to do, or extremely tricky to do, definitely not something that can be done quickly, like Microsoft did. Anyway,

A problem is that Windows 2000 didn't run Win9x programs, well many of them, and many consumer electronics didn't have NT drivers.

Windows XP has better compatibility with Win9x programs, but still not great, but that extra year allowed most manufactures to have NT/2000 drivers, and that means XP support, as for software/games new version existed or free updates were available.

Until Windows 2000 support ended, Windows 2000 was a direct mirror to Windows XP in terms of updates, bugs (almost), and issues (almost).

XP main reason for the release was to compete against the nicer looking MacOS X.

On stage Microsoft showed a Start Menu and metro in window, but that was unclear if it was mocked up or a genuine build (as it looked more advance than the leaked build.. then again, like I said, we know nothing about the leaked build, it could be quite old), but regardless, they said "later update", and never specified Windows 8.2, or Update 2. WE ASSUMED that was the case.

Windows 8 had a bad reputation. Like Vista. I am sure Microsoft marketing came and said: you have to drop Windows 8. Even if you release a Windows 8 update that is better than slice bread, and makes cry of awesomeness, people will avoid it. And I agree with that view (assuming true), as even now, people are like "Yay Windows 9 has a start button! Look a desktop!", despite Windows 8 having both since day 1. People didn't even look at a pictures of 8.1. So, Microsoft, probably said: "Ok flll breaks on Windows 8 development, and will take all the work we have done so far to Windows 8, and MOVE IT to Windows 9".

All it meaning for you, is that Windows 9 will have MORE features, Windows 9 features and improvements + Windows 8 future development features.

That is ASSUMING all rumors are true.

Microsoft is known for notoriously miss communicate many things. Like the Surface Pro 3 having thunderbolt. Sadly it doesn't. Shots of the internal shows no chips for it. So it's not a "coming soon" feature. And that is just one of the latest case. On stage, they probably meant Windows 9. The reason why they didn't call it "Windows 9" is because "Windows 9" is not the official name. Threshold is the project name, and that is not supposed to be known to the public. Windows 9 is a name WE decided to identify this release as.

The only way to know, is to work at Microsoft, part of Windows dev team, and sign the NDA part of your contract, so now you'll still be unable to talk about it... not unless you want to keep your job, which you probably would like to keep.

We still haven't heard about something that is very important:

PROPER 4K SUPPORT!!!

Is the scaling fixed?

Scaling is fixed. The problem will developers move their ass, and make their software high DPI aware?

With Apple, devs seams to have 0 problem supporting new technology, and consumers seams to have no problem paying for these features in getting the latest version.

Windows users, is a bit of a different story.

However, in developer defense, it maybe because they are depended on a framework they used (either internal or external) for the GUI that isn't high DPI aware. And they have to wait for support.

however, the simple fact that Windows own programs, and Microsoft has documentation on making a high-DPI aware application, shows that it is possible.

I did try it, and it does work.

this isn't the first time they do it, 7 was essentially vista fixed, and a lot of people liked it regardless of not being a patch to vista, also we don't even know when the OS is going to launch, for all we could know this is just testing UI and not final at all, or just a bunch of placeholder to test most important stuff

And did you know that Vista was a XP fixed. XP security was soo outdated back in 2001, and didn't allow to support properly new modern hardware and technologies that Microsoft had to scrap it all. And did you know XP is a "should have been" Windows 2000, and did you know that Windows 2000, is a "should have been" Windows NT 4... In fact let's go all the way to MSDOS1, because command line is not right. Mouse and keyboard full GUI is the way forward. So Windows 1 is what MSDOS should have been.

And did you know that Vista was a XP fixed. XP security was soo outdated back in 2001, and didn't allow to support properly new modern hardware and technologies that Microsoft had to scrap it all. And did you know XP is a "should have been" Windows 2000, and did you know that Windows 2000, is a "should have been" Windows NT 4... In fact let's go all the way to MSDOS1, because command line is not right. Mouse and keyboard full GUI is the way forward. So Windows 1 is what MSDOS should have been.

ok i get it, that was a horrible comparison, no need to get that salty, sorry

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The Tek brought up a scary, but very likely point in that Windows Settings might replace the Control Panel...

The Tek brought up a scary, but very likely point in that Windows Settings might replace the Control Panel...

Click bait.

We have no information on the mater. And as you can see from the videos, the Control Panel is still there.

It might include more control panel items, but doesn't mean it will be removed. Also, some software adds items in there. Removing it, would mean it will break some software. And Windows settings has, currently in Win8, no ability to add items inside.

Click bait.

We have no information on the mater. And as you can see from the videos, the Control Panel is still there.

It might include more control panel items, but doesn't mean it will be removed. Also, some software adds items in there. Removing it, would mean it will break some software. And Windows settings has, currently in Win8, no ability to add items inside.

Something said at a random point in a 39-minute video isn't click bait.

ok i get it, that was a horrible comparison, no need to get that salty, sorry

Sorry, myself. I have just been hearing this claim for ever, and repeatedly at any new software.

It's just tired some. Maybe because I wear a developer hat, that I feel this, and see how it is not correct, but yea.

Something said at a random point in a 39-minute video isn't click bait.

Yea, I know he didn't do a video specifically on it.

I was referring as "click bait" in the sense that he says something controversial, which is fine, but has no facts to support it.

It's like if I go and say: If you use the Start Menu, you'll have an ad bar, and the ads will even have video and audio, every time you click the start button, it will show and play. If your speakers are muted, it will unmute them, if volume is under 10% it will increase it, and your system is no longer responding until the ad finishes. All it does is get people frustrated and promote hatred for nothing on nothing.

Now if they are facts on it... Thhheeeennn it will be a different story.

Still look like sh*t to me. Still no Aero. Ugly flat color scheme. massive PC setting window for absolutely no good reason. (that's what happens when you take a useless app that goes fullscreen and put it windowed)

All they did is put some half-assed start menu while still shoving the "modern" UI down our throat on the side of the menu and make the awful modern apps that nobody in their right mind will ever use, windowed.

Just... No... I will still be using Windows 7 for the next couple years it seems right to when I'm forced to upgrade... by which I'm hoping Linux gaming is more of a thing so I can NOT give my money to microsoft ever again.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Still look like sh*t to me. Still no Aero. Ugly flat color scheme. massive PC setting window for absolutely no good reason. (that's what happens when you take a useless app that goes fullscreen and put it windowed)

All they did is put some half-assed start menu while still shoving the "modern" UI down our throat on the side of the menu and make the awful modern apps that nobody in their right mind will ever use, windowed.

Just... No... I will still be using Windows 7 for the next couple years it seems right to when I'm forced to upgrade... by which I'm hoping Linux gaming is more of a thing so I can NOT give my money to microsoft ever again.

I use some Modern UI apps on my desktop. Namely the weather app because it has a lot of detailed information that is easy and simple to view. I also use countdown/alarm/timer apps because they're just useful. Also the 500px Modern UI app because it's nice to have it take up the whole screen when viewing artistic pictures like the ones on there.

Also you said all the have done is put a half assed start menu? So you have seen the final and complete build of Windows 9 to know this? Or are you just talking out of your rear end?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I use some Modern UI apps on my desktop. Namely the weather app because it has a lot of detailed information that is easy and simple to view. I also use countdown/alarm/timer apps because they're just useful. Also the 500px Modern UI app because it's nice to have it take up the whole screen when viewing artistic pictures like the ones on there.

Also you said all the have done is put a half assed start menu? So you have seen the final and complete build of Windows 9 to know this? Or are you just talking out of your rear end?

I think it's the same group of people that got stuck in XP, and where forced to upgrade to Win7, and still bitch and moan about it. And saying that they'll switch to Linux based OS one day.. like if it means anything, and act like it will be just in Windows XP, ignoring the fact that it is drastically different, and Linux based OS are also changing and evolving. Sure you don't have to upgrade, but same for Windows. If you want to install Windows 2000, nothing is stopping you. Sure you don't have support, neither will you with an old version of a Linux based OS. And now nothing will work, and is more difficult to use, and more annoying. Reminds me when Vista came out with UAC, and people said that they'll switch to Linux because they don't like the UAC prompts. Ignoring the fact that Linux, requires you to enter the full user name and password, every time, and you can run as root.

The original posts clearly state that it's not final, but even if it was nice looking and final, I bet that he will still moan about something, and if its identical to Windows 7, they say "Ohh... nothing changed! no New features! Microsoft doesn't innovate, they never innovate" (all by ignoring all Microsoft innovations during it's existence, and Windows 8), "Microsoft is finished, D0000Med.. I am switch to Linux"

You lost me at IE11. :P

On a serious note though:

Doesn't look that much different from 8.1 . Will probably wait for an Ultimate Windows Tweaker to come out before I get it so I can get rid of the infuriating metro look. Who in their right mind thinks white silhouettes on coloured background being spammed looks any good?

Hope this one at least has better sorting methods for icons so it doesn't all look jumbled up and cheap again.

New folder icons, pls.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

New folder icons, pls.

Agreed, hopefully all icons will change and fit better, and I hope that explorer icon is for experimentation on that build and not final.

Unless Microsoft returns to Aero, than Vista/Win7 icons will fit fine.

Let's play a game:

Do you think the registry icon will be updated? I say no, and will remain in its 16 color glory form :)

I just have a few questions. Do you own a smart phone. If so what apps do you use on it and how often do you use them?

Heard Microsoft is going to implement new means of activation. From what I recall, users are able to easily active/deactivate a PC of their choice via their website. This is great, no longer are the product keys tied into a hardware and no longer are we gonna call Microsoft for activation (phone-activation) but it's tied into your Microsoft account. Can anyone confirm the validity of this? 

Assuming the Metro UI is optional as seen in the video and there's support for multiple desktops, that will totally sell me to Windows 9. Although, a little bit of polishing and a new set of icons is both refreshing and pleasing to the eyes.

#Windows9

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

TAKE THAT BACK LONGHORN WAS AMAZING

I thought the Longhorn project was abandoned and its place taken by Vista... I may be wrong there though.