windows 9 recent leaks, all the details so far

AlexGoesHigh

when this OS drops, and Shylake and USB 3.1 become the mainstay, that is when I'll upgrade my current PC. 2016 perhaps ??

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

I don't care about the start menu/button because I rarely ever used it to begin with. 

The aesthetics are subjective. Some people will like it, some will hate it. Personally, I like the minimalistic styling. 

Just at a glance, it looks like a more polished version of windows 8/8.1 and I would even say; this is what windows 8 should have been. I'm glad they're talking about offering free/cheap upgrades to windows 9 for windows 8/8.1 users. Sucks to have to pay $100 for an OS and Linux is just not good enough yet to replace windows as my main OS, so good on MS for that. I just hope they keep their word on it...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Looks like a large shift towards Unix based OS's to me.

Workspaces being branded as "desktops", the removal of borders from running exe's/windows...

It's still Windows though, and I will never use it for my main OS. Just for gaming until SteamOS becomes mainstream enough to completely remove the need to use this rubbish.

Personally, I think I might ditch Windows (especially if steam takes off on Linux) completely if the start menu is kept.  No company has ever pushed things forward by listening to their customers, only made current iterations better.  I will give Microsoft a chance to explain all this this nonsense, but could find myself going somewhere else.  (Hoping for a whole new OS from another vendor)

I completely agree with what you're saying. I love how Valve is integrating Debian with SteamOS and I love how AMD is creating support for Debian through mantle and openGL

I can't wait until SteamOS is ready to use. Most of my games go through steam anyways.

This looks exactly like Windows 8.1 just with an full start menu instead of the small one.
Unless this has some major speed improvements I really don't see why this couldn't be just added to Windows 8.

RTX2070OC 

I'm waiting for the care to kick in but it's not happening.

Why is it the OS has to look like that? It's garbage.

Graphical changes are pretty much always the very last thing to be changed. Even with Windows 7 it looked almost identical to Vista right until a month or two before being released and also Windows 8 was changing graphical styles right up until a month or two before final build was complete.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

It's annoying to hear the constant hate on the Metro UI because it's perfectly fucking fine.

well good for you, i hate it.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Please bring back the proper search function.

And don't call programs apps... just don't.

What do you mean by "proper" search function...? 8 had it sorted out, but they fixed that in 8.1 with "Search Everything" and it looks like they kept that for 9.

Also, programs and applications mean the exact same thing. They were called applications prior to smartphones existing.

Windows 8 and now Windows 9 will look like the Windows XP to 7 high contrast desktop theme, great improvement <_<

Square Icons and menus is not an improvement, even bringing back the Start menu is probably a few lines of code, then we're expected to pay for it?

This is why people stick to Microsoft OS's till the end of support if not longer, there is no reason to upgrade. I expect every company that has mass quantities of Windows 7 to lobby Microsoft for extended support till they actually come out with something worth an upgrade.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What do you mean "proper search function"? 8 had it messed up a bit where they sorted it into three categories, but they fixed that in 8.1.

Program and application mean the exact same thing, and they have been called applications even prior to smartphones existing.

Capture14.PNG

These changes look great I just wish the 8/9 ui wasn't so blocky and ugly. 

Looks pretty nice

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Well, technically "Program", in the context of software applications, is a Microsoft coined term. The standard term is "Application" and "App" is just shortened version of that.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Windows 8 and now Windows 9 will look like the Windows XP to 7 high contrast desktop theme, great improvement <_<

Square Icons and menus is not an improvement, even bringing back the Start menu is probably a few lines of code, then we're expected to pay for it?

This is why people stick to Microsoft OS's till the end of support if not longer, there is no reason to upgrade. I expect every company that has mass quantities of Windows 7 to lobby Microsoft for extended support till they actually come out with something worth an upgrade.

If you think the only difference between 8.x and 9 will be the Start menu then you need to do more research.

Pricing information has not been released for Windows 9, but there have even been rumors that it will be free for pretty much all existing Windows users.

If it's free, cool. If it's a fairly small download cool. If it costs money, fuck it. If it's a huge download, fuck it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Im so happy they brought the desktop back. looks like they are doing something right. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Im so happy they brought the desktop back. looks like they are doing something right. 

The desktop never left. It has always been there.

This is the kind of stuff why people "hate" Windows 8.x. They are just plain uninformed about it.

What do you mean "proper search function"? 8 had it messed up a bit where they sorted it into three categories, but they fixed that in 8.1.

Program and application mean the exact same thing, and they have been called applications even prior to smartphones existing.

Program and application do mean the same thing, but what he was referring to was the term 'app'. Apps are not the same as full programs and applications. Apps are small, lightweight 'half-programs' designed to run on small devices like smartphones and typically need to be acquired through a very restrictive central store. There is a very clear difference between the 'apps' you run on your phone and the application/programs you use on your desktop/laptop and I don't appreciate the blurring together of the two definitions. Yes, at one point app was short for application, but this is no longer true, its picked up a separate definition of its own.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Every version of Windows, have a HUGE list of improvements and new features. If you look at screen shots and not really the full list of of changes, then that is not my problem.

The desktop never left. It has always been there.

This is the kind of stuff why people "hate" Windows 8.x. They are just plain uninformed about it.

no it left. its like walking into a new house and the couch is bench. yes its there but its not the same. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

loool "+add Desktop" so after how many year they caught on?

Windows XP. And the API where there to build such software in Windows NT4 days. So you could have downloaded a software that does this.

XP feature in action:

apcnewsdesktops_238x179_main1.jpg1.jpg