Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

He puts it on youtube as his job, not as a hobby. You take his content and give nothing back. That is plain wrong. 

I think you are taking a bit too much of an extremely one-sided view on the situation. By watching ads you are giving revenue but it's not really stealing to have adblock on. People who put videos up should account for people using adblock. I simply will not browse the web on my desktop without adblock and flashblock enabled. I have it white list specific sites but I despise the ads on Youtube. I watch a lot from my iPad (so content creators do get something from me there) and 99% of the ads are one of several beer ads. Yeah I fucking hate beer, I can do without the shitty ads that do nothing but annoy me. It sucks for people like Linus but until Google changes how it does ads on YT I'm not disabling adblock there. I don't feel bad about it either. I'd rather support LMG through white listing this site and using the affiliate links, or maybe taking advantage of one of the things he advertises on his videos (if something pops up that gets my attention). Any of those will support it a hell of a lot more than me watching a couple videos a week.

I don't see any insults in my post... 

It is not his hobby. Barnacules had a job and posted videos as a hobby. If I worked at Alienware, building computers for money, would it still be a hobby? No it would be my job to build computers. You should "pay" for his videos for the same reason you pay for groceries, because nothing is free. He still has the satisfaction of making good videos? If everyone used adblock he wouldn't even have that because he wouldn't waste his time making videos anymore. 

If you depended on ads, I'm sure you wouldn't like adblock too much.

Actually, making a job of it is not a smart idea on YouTube. Suddenly tons of people get 'a responsibility of not having AdBlock' when you watch a video.

And I am 100% sure that he also likes it at a hobby, he isn't being defiant while doing it, I am sure he enjoys tech.

I see where you are coming from but I don't see it as that much of a problem because YouTube is a free medium, it being your job is fun but also risky, AdBlock is such a risk, he knew he could encounter such risks.

If all my arguments aren't enough. (they aren't, even if I gave 10000 more) then we will just have to disagree on this.

I never said he was hurting for money. I'm sure he isn't. That doesn't exclude the fact that using adblock is scummy. Youtube makes it's money off of ads as well. They grew before adblock existed, thats how they gained market share. Adblock viewers do practically nothing for him and while he most likely wouldn't remove them, he could very well do that.

If they aren't and have not been doing anything for him then why hasnt he removed them if it was that detrimental to the way he operates.

If they aren't and have not been doing anything for him then why hasnt he removed them if it was that detrimental to the way he operates.

Because it isn't possible to do that...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Those couple of cents add up. They don't even get money from mobile views. It doesn't matter if it is unreliable, it's their job. If you're selfish enough to deny them money because you don't want to watch 5 seconds of ads, then, I hate to say it, but you're a terrible person.

Wait, they don't get ad money from watching it on mobile devices?

Does that mean I am "stealing" from them when I view it on my phone as well? I am "taking" their content and they don't get anything in return.

TV channels don't get payed for the amount of people watching at a particular time. They pay in advance depending on how many people will be watching at that time. Changing the channel when ads come on don't affect how much money the TV station gets at all.

Yes but to me that's just you exploiting the system. TV is not as advanced as YouTube and can therefore not track the viewers. So to you it would be alright to skip ads (as in, not see them at all) if nobody knew that you did? That's what is happening on TV and you are okay with that. So if I designed an AdBlocking system that couldn't be detected, you would be alright with that?

To get back to the whole "it's stealing" point, isn't it "stealing" to not watch the ads on TV channels? I mean, the advertisers are paying to have their commercials shown and they trust that you will watch them. You are breaking that trust by not viewing them. The difference is that on TV the TV station gets the money no matter what (bad for the company trying to sell ads, which are not all evil corporations, some of them are charity organizations). On YouTube the ad companies only pays when their ads are viewed.

So if the red cross made a TV ad (they make a ton) they will basically pay for ads a lot of people will not see. You are okay with this.

If they made a YouTube ad and a lot of people didn't see it because of AdBlock, the red cross would not lose any money. You are not okay with this.

See, I can play the guilt tripping game too. I'll even throw in one of the standard propaganda phrases anti-AdBlock people shout. "You are a horrible person for stealing from the red cross, just because you feel entitled to change channel on the TV during the commercial breaks. Those commercials paid for the content you view and you should therefore uphold your end of the bargain by viewing it!"

See how silly it sounds? That's how silly I think you sound when you tell me to stop using AdBlock. If you want me to stop using AdBlock then use reasonable ads. Don't put like 4 different kinds of ads in a single video.

Anyone else remember him previously saying that he barely makes anything from adsense? and that he makes more off of views and what not?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I never said he was hurting for money. I'm sure he isn't. That doesn't exclude the fact that using adblock is scummy. Youtube makes it's money off of ads as well. They grew before adblock existed, thats how they gained market share. Adblock viewers do practically nothing for him and while he most likely wouldn't remove them, he could very well do that.

Because it isn't possible to do that...

Very contradictory statements.

Ads are unwanted, games are not.

Money is spent. Then it won't bother you anymore. I think donations are good, ads are annoying.

Ads are a constant nuisance throughout the day.

Well, do you have adblock on? If so, do you donate regularly to every single youtube channel you watch that monetizes its videos, that you watch?

Watching the ads before videos is effectively the same as just not paying for your video games. It would be nice if Youtube would let people pay instead of watching ads or some solution like that.

how is saying that you want to watch peoples' videos but you don't want to watch the ads (that pay the creators) any different than saying you want to play peoples' video games but you don't want to pay for them.

Very contradictory statements.

I was saying if he could, he would be able to do so and still have a stable financial situation. Not that he actually can do it.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Well, do you have adblock on? If so, do you donate regularly to every single youtube channel you watch that monetizes its videos, that you watch?

Watching the ads before videos is effectively the same as just not paying for your video games. It would be nice if Youtube would let people pay instead of watching ads or some solution like that.

how is saying that you want to watch peoples' videos but you don't want to watch the ads (that pay the creators) any different than saying you want to play peoples' video games but you don't want to pay for them.

- I have it on, on YouTube, here no, because I merely get banners.

- And no, it is not the same, at all. YouTube is  a free medium.

- Because money does not bother me when I spent it on a game. I pay and I am done. Ads waste my free time. 

Oh and Linus puts his ads in his videos anyway, which is smart.

I get it but, there is just so much too this. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the past 22 pages and

IMO Linus definitely used the wrong word, he is entitled to an opinion just as I am. however there is what you think and what you say especially important to remember in any business and life. Linus made a mistake and misspoke because of a spur of the moment thought but either way it is how he thought of his customers or consumers.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that despite angering a big portion of his audience, Linus made an "apology" but in the same post the wording still seems to suggests that Linus still believes in what he said with and if it weren't for the blacklash would have just shrugged it off and made nothing of it. This is not how the primary face of an organization should approach a issue situation such as this. This is how companies loose customers, it's similar to NCIX shipping the wrong part and saying it was their fault but if then refusing to take the part back.

I hope linus makes mention and explains his side better in the WAN show.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

YouTube is  a free medium.

If it's free and doesn't cost anything to run why don't you start your own YouTube?

I have nothing more to say because you think your logic isn't flawed and I have no way to change that, so why bother trying. 

Malcontent,

Would you care to expound on how my logic is flawed?

I made three statements.

1. Making youtube the foundation of your company is utterly foolish. -- Please explain to me how it is not. It is as unstable and changes with as much as uncertainty as the wind.

2. I am not obligated to watch his advertising. -- Please explain to me how I am.

3. Linus is being a hypocrit. He is doing what he accused us of doing. -- Please explain to me how he is not.

3. Continued -- He claimed we were being self entitled. He is calling HIS FANS scummy for not watching his ads. As if point number 2 is somehow not valid.

Which, I think at the root of this ELEVATED ARGUMENT, you disagree with point 2. And because point 3 is based off of point 2, you can understand why we are so diametrically opposed.

You are just throwing insults around, sir.

When all logic fails, damage control. Start hurling insults. Degrade, deprecate, you cannot win with logic therefore use angry pathos.

Consider yourself blocked.

[Edit] I am saddened for you that I had to break this down into sections for you to get it.

It speaks volumes to your intelligence. (Or apparent lack thereof.)

Lastly, claiming one's input is flawed and not backing it up does not constitute a valid retort. Anyone can say someone is wrong, even if all of the world disagrees. You must provide evidence as to why the individual is wrong.

(You don't have to, but it makes you look arrogant, impotent, and incompetent...) 

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

I get it but, there is just so much too this. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the past 22 pages and

IMO Linus definitely used the wrong word, he is entitled to an opinion just as I am. however there is what you think and what you say especially important to remember in any business and life. Linus made a mistake and misspoke because of a spur of the moment thought but either way it is how he thought of his customers or consumers.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that despite angering a big portion of his audience, Linus made an "apology" but in the same post the wording still seems to suggests that Linus still believes in what he said with and if it weren't for the blacklash would have just shrugged it off and made nothing of it. This is not how the primary face of an organization should approach a issue situation such as this. This is how companies loose customers, it's similar to NCIX shipping the wrong part and saying it was their fault but if then refusing to take the part back.

I hope linus makes mention and explains his side better in the WAN show.

No, I do get his side and I don't want him to apologize for stating his true feelings.

Good for his mental health, and I mean that.

But it is still unprofessional. I don't care and am not really insulted, but for others.....

I still disagree with him however on his way to handle it and his opinion.

If it's free and doesn't cost anything to run why don't you start your own YouTube?

It's a free medium to watch videos. ;) That doesn't mean I can start my own website as big as Youtube which is owned by a multibillion company like Google.

I didn''t say Youtube was made for free, it doesn't have to do with that, I said watching Youtube videos is free.

Not a good comment you made there.

It's a free medium to watch videos. ;) That doesn't mean I can start my own website as big as Youtube which is owned by a multibillion company like Google.

I didn''t say Youtube was made for free, it doesn't have to do with that, I said watching Youtube videos is free.

Not a good comment you made there.

But if 100% of people used Adblock YouTube would not make any profit. It's not a free medium they make their revenue by advertising on their content which they share with their partners to promote quality or at least sought after content.

People have no moral obligation whatsoever to be subjected to advertisements.  None.  Zip.  Within the reasonable constraints of this discussion, people are free to view what they want, how they want, within the bounds of the hardware/software.  Of course, content creators are also free to dictate how their content can be accessed, but within the domain of this discussion, that's on a browser(s)/website combo that has easily configurable ad-free viewing.  Linus is free to put all the videos behind, say, a contributor-only wall, and the consumer can choose to subscribe to that or not.  If anything, it's rather fortunate for creators that YouTube allows rather easy monetization options, but the content consumers have no moral, contractual, or legal obligation of any kind towards those creators.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

But if 100% of people used Adblock YouTube would not make any profit. It's not a free medium they make their revenue by advertising on their content which they share with their partners to promote quality or at least sought after content.

The thing is, not 100% of people us AdBlock.

And it will always be like that.

Makes me 'scum'? Okay.... People can call me that, I don't care being called scum for controlling how I spend my own free time.

My opinions are:

- Banners are okay

- Ads in videos are okay

- Video ads are NOT okay

Thus this website has it off, YouTube has it on. I am not responsible for somebody else his money who posted a free video which can be accessed easily via YouTube. 

Shoving such responsibiliy on all YouTube watchers is not fair, especially calling them scum for a couple of cents. (which yes, do add up, but for every person a little tiny fraction, every person a couple of cents)

and so he should your are a dickface scumbag if you use adblock

- I have it on, on YouTube, here no, because I merely get banners.

- And no, it is not the same, at all. YouTube is  a free medium.

- Because money does not bother me when I spent it on a game. I pay and I am done. Ads waste my free time. 

Oh and Linus puts his ads in his videos anyway, which is smart.

Youtube is not free. A content creator on youtube is paid for their work by advertisements. They provide you videos in exchange for watching their ads, just as game creators give you their games in exchange for money. You can complain about there being no paid option to save time, but in the end, you can just not play videos games that you don't want to pay for, just as you don't have to watch videos that have advertisements.

Linus puts ads in his videos because he doesn't make much off of adsense, largely as a result of adblock.

Makes me 'scum'? Okay.... People can call me that, I don't care being called scum for controlling how I spend my own free time.

This is not a valid argument because you can just not watch the videos if you don't want to watch the ads.

I wonder how many people who are strongly against adblock are just fanboys, who are saying they dislike it because linus said he didn't like it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Youtube is not free. A content creator on youtube is paid for their work by advertisements. They provide you videos in exchange for watching their ads, just as game creators give you their games in exchange for money. You can complain about there being no paid option to save time, but in the end, you can just not play videos games that you don't want to pay for, just as you don't have to watch videos that have advertisements.

Linus puts ads in his videos because he doesn't make much off of adsense, largely as a result of adblock.

Quick side point:

In the same way DVD manufacturers have gotten hip to piracy of films, youtube must act respectively pertaining to individuals watching their streams free from revenue creating advertisements.

The obligations IS NOT ON THE CONSUMER to address and fix the problem. It is ON THE PRODUCER.

Youtube, or linus, or both, need to fix the issue. The CONSUMER is under NO OBLIGATION to uphold the guidelines established by the content creator.

There is no moral, or even legal, distinction that says otherwise.

Linus is in the wrong.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

The thing is, not 100% of people us AdBlock.

And it will always be like that.

My opinions are:

- Banners are okay

- Ads in videos are okay

- Video ads are NOT okay

Thus this website has it off, YouTube has it on. I am not responsible for somebody else his money who posted a free video which can be accessed easily via YouTube.

I hate the banners I wish they would get rid of them, I don't even think they are a great form of promotion.

YouTube is not a charity, if you like the site support them by adhering to their business model. Just because 100% of users do not use it doesn't affect the fact that you are causing them financial loss by not supporting them.

If you don't like YouTube's business model then just don't watch YouTube. Can you make that commitment?

This is not a valid argument because you can just not watch the videos if you don't want to watch the ads.

It is free in the sense that you don't pay money.

It isn't free in the sense that you watch ads.

Yes, I do get this, you don't have to re-explain it again, (somebody else already did and I already knew even)

Also, I do not see what buzz is about because he gets money from the ads in his videos.

I already unsubbed if that makes you feel better. ;) Not because I am insulted but because if Linus doesn't really want me and people who are diehard anti AdBlock fans also not wanting me.

Ads are different than paying actual currency, you can't keep making the same comparison because it isn't. It works differently.

I hate the banners I wish they would get rid of them, I don't even think they are a great form of promotion.

YouTube is not a charity, if you like the site support them by adhering to their business model. Just because 100% of users do not use it doesn't affect the fact that you are causing them financial loss by not supporting them.

If you don't like YouTube's business model then just don't watch YouTube. Can you make that commitment?

I don't have to make that commitment. YouTube has not fixed the loophole that is adblock plus and similar programs.

I can watch youtube with those ad-ons without violating any laws or personal moral values. I am not obligated to watch their advertisements.

Until then, I will continue to watch youtube videos unmolested by the scourge that is their advertising.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum