Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

I was just going to donate the minimum tier to show my downness with ltt but the only option is to set up a monthly subscription. So I'd hav to deal with canceling the sub right after I donate see this is exactly the reason adblock exists. Everything is over monitized and convenience is tossed for the chance to grub as much money as possible.

Marketing is everywhere....on the clothes we wear, Television, radio, billboards, and Internet. All targeted to make us as consumers purchase products.

It is our choice to either see, watch, or hear it on all of those. Things like DVR allow you to bypass adds that are already played during recording of a show or movie, and the companies that are marketed have their pay whichever network to show those ads a certain amount of times. Billboards, companies pay a flat rate to display for x amount of time. Now we come to the internet, where people are paid per either view or per click, that in and of itself makes it difficult on the person who owns the content, be it a website or youtube channel. Why? You have to have people watch your content. Now, it looks great from the companies end, they do not have to shell out as much for advertising since it is pay/view or click. But, it can put strain on youtubers and websites because they have less income. So i am sorry you entered yourself into a flawed system on the content creators end.

Now, it is my choice as a consumer/browser to install Adblock, Just as with DVR, it allows me to choose to watch the advertisements or not. Ads should be more like an implementation in the videos, similar to when you have your sponsor segments, which gives us the choice of whether or not to watch it or skip past it. But hey, it is still there, so you still get the money from that sponsor. 

Internet is an open playground, and we should be able to browse as we please. Just as with net neutrality, internet ads are out of control and this is my stand against them, by choosing to install Adblock.

And I guess that's my main issue here. What we do is incredibly time consuming and expensive. Many type of content that "get lots of views" are (relatively speaking) very easy and fast to make but we work very hard every day to keep improving.

I just want the money to keep investing in making what we do better.

Usually I can be pretty calculating and logical about things, but I'm incredibly passionate about what we do here at LMG so I used a word I probably shouldn't have.

Why apologize? Not using sarcasm here, but ....they were your true feelings and I personally don't have hard feelings about it.

Let out your true feelings, of course it isn't wise to insult your fanbase, but how you feel is important too and you let it out, and that is a good thing to do for your mental health.

You're still a human being.

I'm still not sure what you mean.  Linus does all of those things.  He may not be universal picutres, but managing LinusMediaGroup isn't a lemonade stand.  They have lots of assets and employees.

I was pointing out that you ignored scale of operations i wasnting citing anyone specific

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

I am a long time user of AdBlock, obviously i had it disabled from linustechtips.com, but after reading how bad it is for you and all the other people who rely on the ads i decided to remove it from chrome

I think it's rather amusing that you complain about people using AdBlock Linus, when you use it yourself. You got called out on it during a WAN show livestream a while back and you took it off shortly afterward. I find that funny and hypocritical.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

To the people who think managing a video production, marketing, and content producing company with hundreds of thousands of dollars in assets and revenues isn't a "job", please tell me exactly what you do for work.

I implore you. I'll go first. I'm a telecommunications and radio system trouble tech for a major railway. I make more than 100k a year. I can tell you Linus works way more than I do.

Alright let me take a crack at it

1) What Linus does IS a job, mainly because it's professional in the way it's shot and edited and he's also a good entertainer

2) Some folk might be entertaining but what they do isn't professional like Let's players and streamers who might be mildly good at improv  but they ride on the interest generated by their subject matter (the game) and requires little to no editing, post production, much of anything at all. Anyone with mid range PC with a 20 bucks webcam and headset can potentially be a let's player (this is particularly true for even moderately good looking females) if he covers popular enough games, at least some will watch at virtually no cost to them.

The same applies to many "unboxers" that just stand in front of an out of focus camera, open a 30 dollar case with a kitchen knife, don't edit themselves fumbling their words, hitting the camera, nothing and generally have little to say other than describing what we're already looking at. Hardly insightful stuff, yes even if Linus started with quick and dirty unboxings he always had some sort of insight into the manufacturers, price range, features or lack thereof, etc.

3) Some folk are rather talented and do breathtakingly beautiful shots and superb editing but are actually not really interesting and flat out boring. Now this is ok for some stuff but again most of the time it's either terrible or just rides on the hype of an existing work or product.

Now you won't find me being overly critical of people from 1) (You might find me disagreeing with them like in this thread, but I'd like to think I was fair in my disagreement conceding several key points) however people from 3) Need to understand that just being able to shoot and edit, even if you're outstanding at it, doesn't makes you an entertainer worth watching and people on 2) Need to just be fucking thankful they can use technology to successfully exploit their talent as entertainers with virtually no real technical requirements or heavy commitments like investing a lot of time and money, if they complain about adblock? Yeah fuck them, if you think you're talented enough to make it on the merits of anything other than a new and still growing medium go ahead and try that instead of bitching about not getting paid for playing games or opening fucking boxes or whatever else you do that can get you easily replaced by a monkey.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ahhh as I am reading half of these posts I am just thinking to my self... entitled brats...

person below me is a scrub

Meh, I feel bad for Linus now.

We aren't really mad so much at you, as we are at being forced to consume content we don't care about on youtube, something that is admittedly beyond your control.

specifically for me, the ads that cannot be skipped, because I don't think I've ever seen one for a product that I have ever, or will ever, purchase.

I don't use adblock as stated before. But it would have been a good idea to point out that Adblock is in a sense, negative feedback to the Advert makers, basically saying

"what you make annoys us, it's generally for shit we don't buy, if you did it more intelligently, more cheaply, so that we the consumer don't pay extra in the price because you spent loads of money of advertising, and less annoyingly, then maybe adblock wouldn't exist at all?!" would have been something that you could have pointed out on the show, because it's true, and most of us agree with it.

Granted it's beyond your control Linus, and keep up the good work. I will continue watching. My only regret is that I didn't discover LTT back during like, the second episode of the WAN show.

Edit: Also, your sponsors don't really count in my opinion because unlike other companies that simply whore themselves out to anyone, you chose (I guess) products and companies that are sensible and useful.

Ahhh as I am reading half of these posts I am just thinking to my self... entitled brats...

Is it really entitlement? I paid for my pc, my monitor, my keyboard, my internet, etc. I should have some say in how my time is used because it's MY time.

That being said, I just wish it was law that all commercials and adverts could only consist of text with some music. That would solve a lot of things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meh, I feel bad for Linus now.

We aren't really mad so much at you, as we are at being forced to consume content we don't care about on youtube, something that is admittedly beyond your control.

specifically for me, the ads that cannot be skipped, because I don't think I've ever seen one for a product that I have ever, or will ever, purchase.

I don't use adblock as stated before. But it would have been a good idea to point out that Adblock is in a sense, negative feedback to the Advert makers, basically saying

"what you make annoys us, it's generally for shit we don't buy, if you did it more intelligently, more cheaply, so that we the consumer don't pay extra in the price because you spent loads of money of advertising, and less annoyingly, then maybe adblock wouldn't exist at all?!" would have been something that you could have pointed out on the show, because it's true, and most of us agree with it.

Granted it's beyond your control Linus, and keep up the good work. I will continue watching. My only regret is that I didn't discover LTT back during like, the second episode of the WAN show.

Edit: Also, your sponsors don't really count in my opinion because unlike other companies that simply whore themselves out to anyone, you chose (I guess) products and companies that are sensible and useful.

Is it really entitlement? I paid for my pc, my monitor, my keyboard, my internet, etc. I should have some say in how my time is used because it's MY time.

That being said, I just wish it was law that all commercials and adverts could only consist of text with some music. That would solve a lot of things.

the amount of money you paid for your pc is not the money that content producers get

the amount of money you paid for your pc is not the money that content producers get

You do realize that the argument could be made that the content producers are being equally entitled? When they could take our side and say, hey, look, your annoying my fans, and your customers, maybe try to do things a little better/differently. That I could support, but you don't harangue people your trying to make money off of, and content for.

My point still stand, Adverts will become acceptable when they are no longer intrusive, obnoxious, and downright fucking annoying.

Which is why I say, classical music over a black background with white text. It's cheap, and it doesn't annoy the customer. Or do it like Linus, in a completely and totally comically rubbish way that makes people laugh and enjoy the show.

Edit: I do feel a bit bad for Linus though, now that I've considered he's about to have his second child, can't imagine the stress this topic must be causing him.

*hint, dye your hair slightly grey before the next WAN show as a joke lol*

You do realize that the argument could be made that the content producers are being equally entitled? When they could take our side and say, hey, look, your annoying my fans, and your customers, maybe try to do things a little better/differently. That I could support, but you don't harangue people your trying to make money off of, and content for.

My point still stand, Adverts will become acceptable when they are no longer intrusive, obnoxious, and downright fucking annoying.

Which is why I say, classical music over a black background with white text. It's cheap, and it doesn't annoy the customer.

you could go ahead and make that argument, would be a horribly supported argument though, they are constantly working to bring us new content that we watch out of entertainment.

Ads are already acceptable... that is why linustechtips exists and has existed now for some time

Honestly though I do not see what part of watching an ad before a vid is so bad, I have had adblock removed for a month now, I see nothing huge to complain about

Looks to me like the majority of the thread is in disagreement with Linus, plus or minus a few fan-boys. I have to go on what I've seen him say himself.

1. There was a WAN show a while back that showed he had it installed. 

2. On yet another different WAN show he has stated that the revenue strictly from AdSense is extremely minor at best, and doesn't really pay any salaries. 

In addition, using adblock across all web surfing could indeed lead to a safer internet browsing experience (albeit minor).

I say thumbs up to adblock at this point, Linus is 800,000+ subscribers and whining about the 5% of viewers using adblock. If that isn't entitlement, than i don't know what is.

If your a contributor you won't see ads in general, disable ADBLOCK on Linus YouTube and that's it. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I don't think AdBlock would even need to be a thing if sites like YouTube and Crunchyroll weren't obnoxious dicks about where they put said ads.

How do you whitelist? I'd like to whitelist Linus's channels.

on Firefox you right click the ABP icon in the top right corner andn choose disable on this site. on Chrome, well, your first priority should be to install Firefox.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

you could go ahead and make that argument, would be a horribly supported argument though, they are constantly working to bring us new content that we watch out of entertainment.

Ads are already acceptable... that is why linustechtips exists and has existed now for some time

Honestly though I do not see what part of watching an ad before a vid is so bad, I have had adblock removed for a month now, I see nothing huge to complain about

See following:

Looks to me like the majority of the thread is in disagreement with Linus, plus or minus a few fan-boys. I have to go on what I've seen him say himself.

2. On yet another different WAN show he has stated that the revenue strictly from AdSense is extremely minor at best, and doesn't really pay any salaries. 

In addition, using adblock across all web surfing could indeed lead to a safer internet browsing experience (albeit minor).

I say thumbs up to adblock at this point, Linus is 800,000+ subscribers and whining about the 5% of viewers using adblock. If that isn't entitlement, than i don't know what is.

Adverts aren't "acceptable" they're forced on us. I don't mind the ones with a skip button, I FUCKING DESPISE the ones that I can't skip.

Banners and shit don't bother me, but making me waste my bandwidth to watch a 10 second ad is just irritating, and it's not even so much the length of time, it's just that I find most ad's are so retarded and stupid that they make the feel like this

big-red-nope-button.gif

Go to the page, click adblock and hit disable on page. then u refresh and ur supporting linus without paying or giving up adblocker. to each his own, I understand if you dont wanna make 3 extra clicks per video but w.e.

writing on here seems like pissing in the wind for me.

sorry if im wrong again obviously not the most technical person. Im just trying to learn as well as help.

I understand; im not giving up ABP either. I just don't have any money or w/e so i'm saying the free support to those i like isn't as big of a hassle as it's made out to be..... strictly talking about youtube ads, the rest of the internet can suck my ABP (mostly)

LEARN TO READ! I already addressed that issue. Abusive ads still show up on trusted sites, therefore I will not disable ad blocking even on trusted sites. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

5% lol show me the source, maybe it is 5% for someone like pewdiepie but linus is catering to tech people... I am sure it is way more than 5% if most of the audience is tech savvy

a lot of people seem to bringing up the point that adblock was installed in on of the LMG PCs but it seems like no one has actually watched the full episode.

Also, I would consider not using adblock if there weren't so many intrusive, annoying, and repetitive ads. Maybe instead of insulting your fan base, work with advertisers to get better ads, that way you make everyone happy and get more money. I know it isn't as easy as that, but it would be a place to start. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

like that ad with the crying baby and right at the 5 second mark the asian dad is calling the mom or something. WHO THE F wants to hear 5 seconds of crying baby before every video? adblock ftw.

Adverts by lesbian robots would be acceptable....

Adverts by lesbian robots would be acceptable....

Well that was better than I expected

hopefully the time i spent here with ABP enabled will be made up for when i buy my LTT t-shirt

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Just defending a point here. Yes, youtube is not a job. Period. And that is because youtube is a medium that companies or self-employed people like LMG or MKBHD, TLDtoday, Austin Evans use to bring their content out. Because it's impossible to have everybody on TV for example.

Do you complain about having ads on TV? I do and I bet there are more people that do to. But I don't about them all. Ands that's the point that is missing to a lot of people that use adblock. You can block whatever you want, you have the power to do that. But you also have the brainz to make a conscious decision on what to block. If you want to ruin this people that basicly work for you without you even asking for anything and that they just hope that you watch an ad that last for like what, a few seconds, then go ahead and do it. But then don't complain that a few years down the road you don't have anything to watch you lazy people.

For those complaining that Linus has to many ads on his videos, let's do an experiment: let's all disable adblock for him and see if he needs or not to have so many of them to make the same revenue at the end of the month. That's what a lot of guys don't get, by blocking ads, you are eventually making everything worst by having this guys to implement more and more of them to have their income.

And yes, we are not obligated to give this guys money. But think of it this way: we are not giving them money, we are making other people (marketing companies) give their money to them. That's the power WE have. But that depends solely on you judging if they deserve it or not.

@Chaotixblade - the last 3 paragraphs where not directed to you, but to everyone

Hey, I appreciate the response. I agree with most of what you said.

If you see my last edit, I simply said this is a sort of pseudo free market system, and the people will do what the people do.

Also, when I watched his videos, I whitelisted youtube.

But even those that did not, they have a right not to. I stand by my statement. It is not fair for Linus to tell individuals that they are "scummy" or whatever word you wish to use to call them self entitled for using ad blocker. It is hypocritical and makes no sense.

(See previous posts)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

People who follow and sub to youtubers like linus , tek syndicate , austin evans , jayz e.t.c, and then get ad block on these chanels , are plainly stupid. Let me bring an example. If you go to the cinema , will you see the movie for free? no. If you ask someone to do a job for you , will he accept to get tired for hours for no money? no. If you go to the a disk club (not many people do I know) , will you take a cd listen to music and then give it back , having used it for no money? no. So it's the same here , and instead of money , you waste some seconds of your time to watch a video that you like and that will help someone else (and will help you too). Some seconds of your time is nothing , considering that you are helping someone that brings you valuable content. I know ads are irrirating , but it's beyond control of the content creators and don't forget that these people make a living from this ads. Any of us would respond the way linus did, any of us would allow ads to make money ,if this was the one and only way to make money. People that cannot wait for some seconds are people that think that everything in this world is easy to get , and even if it isn't , it must be for them. Grow up. This is the thing that linus likes to do and with this thing he can make a living. If you think that he doesn't deserve some more seconds of your time ,then you are either a kid or don't care about anyone but yourself . Behind youtube content creators there are humans not machines, some people forget that when they say and do things in the internet.