Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

I hate the banners I wish they would get rid of them, I don't even think they are a great form of promotion.

YouTube is not a charity, if you like the site support them by adhering to their business model. Just because 100% of users do not use it doesn't affect the fact that you are causing them financial loss by not supporting them.

If you don't like YouTube's business model then just don't watch YouTube. Can you make that commitment?

Because you suggest that? No, I will not stop watching YouTube.

If they REALLY wanted me to have AdBlock off they could block me so long as I have Adblock on, or give an annoying warning which can't be removed unless I put off AdBlock.

Funny thing is, both are working against each other while Google has power over both.

Isn't that like saying there's nothing wrong with pirating games because it's up to the producer to uphold the guidelines? I think we've all seen how well that goes... EA

That is not at all like saying that.

The comparison I was drawing had nothing to do with that. Only that there is an unwanted outcome, and the producer figured out a way to cut down on it.

Encryption of DVD's.

My statements never praised piracy. PIRACY IS ILLEGAL, IT IS STEALING.

So too must youtube enact policy that counter acts programs that circumnavigate advertising.

WATCHING AD FREE YOUTUBE IS NOT ILLEGAL. (Nor is it violating any moral code...) #Notobligated

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

Isn't that like saying there's nothing wrong with pirating games because it's up to the producer to uphold the guidelines? I think we've all seen how well that goes... EA

TotalBiscuit doesn't put ads on his videos and he does this for a living.

It really doesn't work differently than paying currency though. If TotalBiscuit's videos are being watched by someone who has adblock enabled, he will not make money off of that video. If he is putting his own time and hard work into these videos, he deserves some compensation.

I also share his videos. I really don't feel guilty, don't you think with the clear knowledge of YouTube making money from ads, and with stable emotional health I would be feeling bad?

But I am not, that indicates it isn't as black/white as anti-Adblock people think it is. With me are tons of other people.

You could call the 10 million+ people who downloaded it morally corrupt, but I am sure that that is incorrect.

No. Its more like playing a free to play game (that has micro transactions) and then not actually buying any of the micro transactions.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Because you suggest that? No, I will not stop watching YouTube.

If they REALLY wanted me to have AdBlock off they could block me so long as I have Adblock on, or give an annoying warning which can't be removed unless I put off AdBlock.

Funny thing is, both are working against each other while Google has power over both.

You enjoy the site, you enjoy the content. Yet you are unable to deal with one ad per piece of content. It is scummy, there are better ways of putting it but it's not far off. Perhaps if you had a large channel you might appreciate where I am coming from.

Would you work for free? 

Amazed to see this still going.

Apparently this is a hotter topic than I anticipated.

Either way I'm really proud of the community for not letting this turn into an all-out hate-fest both ways. Lots of rational arguments for both sides being made here, and this kind of feedback is very helpful for me, and hopefully all of you :)

No. Its more like playing a free to play game (that has micro transactions) and then not actually buying any of the micro transactions.

^ Its not even that. Its even less deviant than that, and what you described isn't even deviant.

See my response.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Amazed to see this still going.

Apparently this is a hotter topic than I anticipated.

Either way I'm really proud of the community for not letting this turn into an all-out hate-fest both ways. Lots of rational arguments for both sides being made here, and this kind of feedback is very helpful for me, and hopefully all of you :)

You've read what I've said. I feel honored, I will never wash this keyboard... lol

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

That is not at all like saying that.

The comparison I was drawing had nothing to do with that. Only that there is an unwanted outcome, and the producer figured out a way to cut down on it.

Encryption of DVD's.

My statements never praised piracy. PIRACY IS ILLEGAL, IT IS STEALING.

So too must youtube enact policy that counter acts programs that circumnavigate advertising.

WATCHING AD FREE YOUTUBE IS NOT ILLEGAL.

That encryption of DVDs is analogous to DRM on video games though? People trying to prevent these kinds of things almost always leads to anticonsumer practices, and it really shouldn't be encouraged.

I also share his videos. I really don't feel guilty, don't you think with the clear knowledge of YouTube making money from ads, and with stable emotional health I would be feeling bad?

But I am not, that indicates it isn't as black/white as anti-Adblock people think it is. With me are tons of other people.

You could call the 10 million+ people who downloaded it morally corrupt, but I am sure that that is incorrect.

It really is subverting the free content model, though. If you prevent ads entirely, then people can no longer do this for a living. 

You don't have to feel bad, but you should realize that if this becomes widespread enough, you will see a decrease in high quality content.

but they provide you the game with no guarantee on your part that you'll pay for microtransactions. Websites expect that you will have the ads visible, just like paid video games expect you to pay for their content. 
If anything it's like having an F2P game and then hacking to get all of the paid content somehow.

i forgive you linus ♥

That encryption of DVDs is analogous to DRM on video games though? People trying to prevent these kinds of things almost always leads to anticonsumer practices, and it really shouldn't be encouraged.

It really is subverting the free content model, though. If you prevent ads entirely, then people can no longer do this for a living. 

You don't have to feel bad, but you should realize that if this becomes widespread enough, you will see a decrease in high quality content.

Where in my arguments did I say anything about video games? You are combining my arguments with another user.

Do you need to read my response a third time?

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Long thread is long, bananas

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

You enjoy the site, you enjoy the content. Yet you are unable to deal with one ad per piece of content. It is scummy, there are better ways of putting it but it's not far off. Perhaps if you had a large channel you might appreciate where I am coming from.

Would you work for free? 

I see where are you are coming from, I really do.

But the thing is, you can't shove that responsibility in our shoes, We Adblock users would all be a couple of cents per person.

Yes, that does add up.

But how is denying those cents per person enough to call us scummy?

That is not okay.

Sure some people took it too hard, and Linus also shouldn't have done it.

But shoving the responsibility to us like that and calling us names for wanting a smooth experience in our browsers and YouTube? How are we scum for wanting things to run smoothly and without delay.

Yeah, I understand, less revenue, I really do. But if that is only a tiny tiny tiny amount per person it isn't enough to make us feel bad, do you understand?

People see it like this:

- What?! I am scum for not wanting to watch a couple of ADS?! *tunnelvision rage*

And they take it too hard, and I don't blame them. 

Say you're  a  long time fan, and then this happens, but you had AdBlock all that time... how hurt would you be.

But that is just 1 scenario.

Where in my arguments did I say anything about video games? You are combining my arguments with another user.

Do you need to read my response a third time?

What are you talking about? You said some things and then I was bringing video games into the argument as an example of another situation...

How are we scum for wanting things to run smoothly and without delay.

Not that I really want to call anyone scummy, but that's not really a good argument since you're enjoying content that someone spent a lot of work on, that they would appreciate those couple of cents for.

I personally have AdBlock disabled on the forum and watch LMG content on my iPad where ads cannot be blocked, and I don't give two shits. I don't mind spending 5 seconds watching an ad so that Linus can make a living. It's his choice, I respect and support it.

I also have Adblock disabled on the forum because the ads are placed in a non-obtrusive position and I barely even look at them, though occasionally I click on them if they are of interest. 

My $.02 has been given. Continue.

I don't mind spending 5 seconds watching an ad so that Linus can make a living

Actually, the funny thing is that if you click the skip buttons on those ads, he doesn't get any money, as far as I know.

Actually, the funny thing is that if you click the skip buttons on those ads, he doesn't get any money, as far as I know.

Another incentive for me to go downstairs and get a glass of water from the sink while watching LTT.

He also gets a lot of revenue from me living on the forum.

What are you talking about? You said some things and then I was bringing video games into the argument as an example of another situation...

Not that I really want to call anyone scummy, but that's not really a good argument since you're enjoying content that someone spent a lot of work on, that they would appreciate those couple of cents for.

Pardon, I misread the cadence with which that was supposed to be read. I read it like a statement.

I am only human, =)

Yeah, I would think so. :P

But once again, piracy - illegal, ad free youtube - not illegal.

(...and its the content provider / content streaming medium's job to cut down on said abuse. (If you even call this abuse.) Not the consumer. Encrypted DVD's certainly didn't eliminate all acts of piracy. But I'll tell you this much, being a coder, even I have never been able to rip DVD's i've purchased. Too difficult, or I am too ignorant. One or the either, (Or both), I haven't ever copied a DVD.)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I understand, but I don't feel guilty because I remember sharing his videos a ton of times, a TON. I see that as advertising too, and a lot of those people I linked it to don't have Adblock. I see that as my contribution + not having it on here.

You simply can't make me feel bad about it. I refresh the pages here a lot on this forum for notifications so that should help too.

This is my personal situation however.

I see where are you are coming from, I really do.

But the thing is, you can't shove that responsibility in our shoes, We Adblock users would all be a couple of cents per person.

Yes, that does add up.

But how is denying those cents per person enough to call us scummy?

That is not okay.

Sure some people took it too hard, and Linus also shouldn't have done it.

But shoving the responsibility to us like that and calling us names for wanting a smooth experience in our browsers and YouTube? How are we scum for wanting things to run smoothly and without delay.

Like I said scum is not the right word, but I'd rather pay by watching ads than intrinsic money. A lot of these guys and girls work hard and invest a lot of time and money into growing their channels.

If others don't want to contribute it's fine, you do have the option. I get a lot of enjoyment out of YouTube and their partners and the only method I can support them is by watching ads so I do it. I just don't see the big deal.

But those banners, I really do hate them popping up half way through a video.

Like I said scum is not the right word, but I'd rather pay by watching ads than intrinsic money. A lot of these guys and girls work hard and invest a lot of time and money into growing their channels.

If others don't want to contribute it's fine, you do have the option. I get a lot of enjoyment out of YouTube and their partners and the only method I can support them is by watching ads so I do it. I just don't see the big deal.

But those banners, I really do hate them popping up half way through a video.

Actually, I don't mind the banners in and beside the videos.

Just the video ads.

And I still can't see the part where he said it in the WAN show, been searching for an hour now.

Just the video ads.

I second that.

Also, your build is almost identical to mine spec wise.

Great minds think a like... Or equally lacking in intelligence people, as I always say. LOL

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

(...and its the content provider / content streaming medium's job to cut down on said abuse. (If you even call this abuse.) Not the consumer. Encrypted DVD's certainly didn't eliminate all acts of piracy. But I'll tell you this much, being a coder, even I have never been able to rip DVD's i've purchased. Too difficult, or I am too ignorant. One or the either, (Or both), I haven't ever copied a DVD.)

I personally find it really annoying that you can't make personal backups of DVDs because of pirates.

All you need to copy the movie is a capture card. Any Nvidia GPU these days will do it fine. You probably would want to have a separate audio recording software because the sound comes out weird from shadowplay.

Just the video ads.

And I still can't see the part where he said it in the WAN show, been searching for an hour now.

Yeah I get what you mean on shorter content. For longer stuff I usually load it up on my computer, skip the ad if possible and sit back on the sofa and watch it on the TV which is my third monitor. Only problem is that I use one of the remotes with a crappy track pad and its hard to hit that little 'x' on the banners.

I personally find it really annoying that you can't make personal backups of DVDs because of pirates.

All you need to copy the movie is a capture card. Any Nvidia GPU these days will do it fine. You probably would want to have a separate audio recording software because the sound comes out weird from shadowplay.

Thanks for the info,

Also, pardon the redundancy, just so I know you got it. I misread your response, read like a statement not a question. :P We're cool. (If your still mad at me, while disappointing, that's fine. Just so I can sleep at night... OCD...)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum