Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

I realize I am kind of late to this party and no one will probably read, but here you go anyways:

It's funny how it has become acceptable that someone's source of income is ads.

"Hey! I have produced high quality content with the help of my extensive crew and expansive equipment and posted it on a free website. Yes, it's free of charge. But if you don't watch all the ads plus the 10-16% of the video's time spent on sponsor integration (that recently ceased to be of tech-related nature) you are a scumbag."

At least TekSyndicate spends only 0-5%.

What kind of business is this, anyway, where you offer your main product/service free of charge?

Wouldn't it be funny if you could go to the cinema free of charge, arrive 15 minutes late in order to skip the ads and have a Hollywood representative call you names for not sitting through them?

Or maybe now we can all have free surgery as long as we have ads injected into our sleep during the whole procedure.

(That's also funny, how we can sit idly by while Let's players and "pro" gamers earn win absurd amounts of money with ads and sponsors while people with jobs that actually matter for society are stuck with a small percentage compared to them.)

At least NCIX and the like use Youtube as a tool to drive audiences to their store. Their main business is tech retail and Youtube is a way to inform people about their products. As a side project they even make small videos about current tech-related events, because they can afford it.

On the other hand are people who are on Youtube as a hobby, which it is. They have their main job and produce some content when they have time because they are passionate about something or they simply want to goof around. Monetization is just a nice source of extra revenue to buy beer on the weekends!

If your content is of any value to me I will have no problem in paying for it. If you're giving it away for free you can't come accuse me of stealing, pirating or in any other way harming your business because, honestly, you don't have a business.

LMG productions are starting to look more and more like one of the privately owned public broadcast channels in my country where it seems like it is an ad distribution platform with some content sprinkled here and there to keeps us watching. Their business is ads, and it seems LMG's is too.

(Right now I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with the same "Call XYZ number to enter for a chance to win 30.000$! 0.60 cents per call" scheme, every freaking minute)

So, no. I will not disable AdBlock. However, if you decide to opt for a paid subscription or pay-per-video model, finally making tech content your product/service, I will evaluate the situation and subscribe or stop watching.

Meanwhile I will contribute as I see fit through donations or campaigns. But I will not let you blast all the ads in my face while the companies that make them pay you and have you pass it off as your living.

What kind of business is this, anyway, where you offer your main product/service free of charge?

Wouldn't it be funny if you could go to the cinema free of charge, arrive 15 minutes late in order to skip the ads and have a Hollywood representative call you names for not sitting through them?

LOL

-------

Current Rig

-------

What ads are you all getting on YouTube, just curious? Don't respond with I use Adblock (Disable it for this experiment) and do it on Linus' videos to see if that has an affect. Do your next 3 ads...

*Wrote the above before performing the experiment myself, I had to click on about 10 videos before I even got an ad lol

Mine are:

1. Sparta - War of Empires (Some F2P game)

2. Experian (Credit history report site)

3. Stella Artois

*Holy F that was actually difficult I must of clicked on about 50 videos just to get three ads to load, has Linus reduced volume or something, anyone else experiencing this?

F their services. Joe blow in his moms basement could provide the same content as Linus with an iPhone. Just cause he wants YouTube videos to pay for his house wife kid and life I have get spammed for at least 5 seconds every time I click something on YouTube.

you are saying this while you are a gold contributor?

Hey, I appreciate the response. I agree with most of what you said.

If you see my last edit, I simply said this is a sort of pseudo free market system, and the people will do what the people do.

Also, when I watched his videos, I whitelisted youtube.

But even those that did not, they have a right not to. I stand by my statement. It is not fair for Linus to tell individuals that they are "scummy" or whatever word you wish to use to call them self entitled for using ad blocker. It is hypocritical and makes no sense.

(See previous posts)

Just did. CUDOS!

you guys should really stop it 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

you are saying this while you are a gold contributor?

my point was I also watch reviews from random people with a web cam and no editing and I don't mind it one bit.

but lmg makes hd vids with all this crazy equipment and I enjoy watching them. So I donate directly to lmg while adblocking.

*edit: anyways linus said he shouldn't have said that so i forgave him. still using adblock tho.

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

I use adblock. The simple reality is that some websites spam you with ads before you can read the content of the site, you find yourself looking for the god damn X button for several seconds and that gets very annoying.

Ads placement may bring you money but most people buy products based on reviews and knowledge. I myself have NEVER bought a products by clicking some ad, I've never clicked an ad on purpose since I can remember surfing the web.

I bought several products based on reviews made by you and/or other youtubers.

Nobody wants you to starve or go bankrupt but asking people to change things made for comfort is asking to much and calling them scummy because they refuse to do so is a bit under the belt.

Before you were a content creator you probably were using adblock yourself. Now the situation changed and you see things differently but you shouldn't judge people because you now have a different opinion.

I like what you do. I did contributed with a monthly sub, when I will have more money I will contribute more.

That's it, stop crying as we didn't force you to become what you are and we are not to blame because your main income is ad placement nor Adblock creators.

All markets have some sort of Challenges.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

The word wasn't ill chosen, you are right (I use adblock btw)

Since I love your content, I do deactivate it most of the time. I agree I am scummy, but I'd rather be scummy and have a clean web page (thank god your ad placement is either funny or non-intrusive) than be a ''good person'' and be annoyed the shit out of the little things that pop out.

However, I am not annoyed by your kind of ad placement where it is mostly funny and interesting, I have to admit I always watch a techquickie episode to the end because of that, and I don't skip the ad parts of the Wan Show even though I never watch it live.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

The word wasn't ill chosen, you are right (I use adblock btw)

Since I love your content, I do deactivate it most of the time. I agree I am scummy, but I'd rather be scummy and have a clean web page (thank god your ad placement is either funny or non-intrusive) than be a ''good person'' and be annoyed the shit out of the little things that pop out.

However, I am not annoyed by your kind of ad placement where it is mostly funny and interesting, I have to admit I always watch a techquickie episode to the end because of that, and I don't skip the ad parts of the Wan Show even though I never watch it live.

The TechQuickie shows use affiliate links/Codes to earn Linus revenue. He doesn't earn anything if you watch the whole of the Audible or Dollar Shave thing, only if you choose to sign up and use his code, so unfortunately watching the whole video past the main content is a waste of time.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Only disable it for content creators when it's worthy like this forum. On facebook I've always enabled it, because i don't want to be reminded every 5 minutes that i haven't played any farm crap.

LEARN TO READ! I already addressed that issue. Abusive ads still show up on trusted sites, therefore I will not disable ad blocking even on trusted sites. 

No need to be a douche; you never said youtube.

I have never gotten abusive ads from them.

and i said ONE PAGE of youtube not the whole site.

but you're SO SMART i didnt need to tell you that.

Friggin A

Btw i was never saying you were wrong in your use of adblock. I was merely trying to offer information.

Maybe next time specify youtube on this list so retards like me, who have never gotten such ads from youtube, dont misunderstand, and make the mistake of trying to offer information to you, o great one.

my point was I also watch reviews from random people with a web cam and no editing and I don't mind it one bit.

but lmg makes hd vids with all this crazy equipment and I enjoy watching them. So I donate directly to lmg while adblocking.

*edit: anyways linus said he shouldn't have said that so i forgave him. still using adblock tho.

ah i get it now im an adblock user to seeing this i disabled adblock on ltt.com and would on his videos to but i use it for the same reason you do haha

The TechQuickie shows use affiliate links/Codes to earn Linus revenue. He doesn't earn anything if you watch the whole of the Audible or Dollar Shave thing, only if you choose to sign up and use his code, so unfortunately watching the whole video past the main content is a waste of time.

It's not, because the advertisement works. A couple of days ago my father was talking to me about a new website he planned on doing, I told him to check out squarespace and use the affiliate code if he's interested.

By the way, I'm pretty sure he gets paid a base ammount just for featuring the service or product in his video.

Also, it's sad but the reason adblock exists, is because some people abused the system with intrusive ads. I do find it a bit sad for the people who didn't but it's like in our everyday life, take airport security for example, we all suffer for a minority of people (not that I am against it). I always install it on my grandparents computer so they don't accidently click on a malicious ad (wich trust me, happens often)

I find my arguments disorganized, so I'll stay at this point to not embarrass myself much further. I hope you get the point though.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I don't think people should take so much offense to this.

Yes, I agree that what Linus said was kinda hurtful, and I think he could rephrased his statement to something more along the lines of " I don't think people should use Adblock cause it hurts us as content creators."

Yes I use adblock

Yes, I have it disabled for LTT

No, I don't think what Linus said was necessarily right

Am I going to bitch and complain?

No.

Am I going to change the way I think cause some person on Youtube that I follow says so?

No.

But do I still care and support LTT/LMG/TQ 

Yes.

simple as that, and if you still think that this topic still needs to be fought over, go ahead

just remember that your not going to change anyone's mind

Out of hand this thread is. I think this boils down to one of the following:

If you use it, fine. It's your computer and you don't want ads period regardless of who says otherwise.

If you don't use it, also fine. It's still your computer and you don't care about ads or prevideo ads on YouTube.

Whatever. We are all here to do what we want and shouldn't care what others do because we all have our own opinions.

I am whatever I am. 

To be honest, yes I do you adblocker. Why? Because I can't take ads! They annoy me and waste my time and IDC how much I like a person I NEVER pause adblock. And in my opinion that was a fake apology. He called it an "Apology "sort of" on Facebook and you could tell he really didn't mean it.... I mean I am a little shocked and slightly insulted but I think that people shouldn't JUST make a living of of YouTube. (Unless you're PewDiePie who makes $4M a year)  

P.S. Also considering unsubbing to LTT

No, because you are scum for using adblock. You're taking money out of his pocket because you want to block ads. 

How am I taking money out of his pocket? Just because I choose not to waste my time by using AdBlock doesn't make me scum!

How am I taking money out of his pocket? Just because I choose not to waste my time by using AdBlock doesn't make me scum!

He makes money off of ads. People are putting content out for you. All they ask in return is for you to watch a 5 second ad. When you use adblock he no one makes money. You're basically stealing content. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

He makes money off of ads. People are putting content out for you. All they ask in return is for you to watch a 5 second ad. When you use adblock he no one makes money. You're basically stealing content. 

Well it's my time, and my life I can choose if I want to spend 5 seconds just so some dude I don't know can get some money or I can take the simpler route and go straight  to the point and watch the video.

Well you're a douche bag for thinking that way. You're basically stealing. He puts a ton of effort into these videos and you give nothing in return. Nothing is free, eventually you will be left with no professional content and a bunch of crappy videos. 

Just because I don't like watching ads doesn't make me a douchebag... And no it's not stealing. I'm just watching something that somebody WILLINGLY put on YouTube. Case closed Also I don't make YouTube videos so I couldn't care less. Also not a lot of effort is needed just to make a video and talk about some product. A 13 year old could easily do it with their iPhone...

Just because I don't like watching ads doesn't make me a douchebag... And no it's not stealing. I'm just watching something that somebody WILLINGLY put on YouTube. Case closed Also I don't make YouTube videos so I couldn't care less

No, you're just plain wrong. You're wrongfully taking content without giving something back. They put it on youtube because it is their job, not for the fun of it. You can not be so selfish to steal his content, Name one thing in life where you get something without giving?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

No, you're just plain wrong. You're wrongfully taking content without giving something back. They put it on youtube because it is their job, not for the fun of it. You can not be so selfish to steal his content, Name one thing in life where you get something without giving?

All right first of all IT'S NOT STEALING! Im just clicking on a video! 2 different things dude. I'm done with this conversation. And you're the real jerk for judging me on how I want to spend my life and my time! I'm not going to say another thing to you. Have a nice day