Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

I use it, he's well within his rights to have his own opinion and I understand why he feels that way.

[Adblock] is stealing. .

Very bold statement there.

Error: 410

All right first of all IT'S NOT STEALING! Im just clicking on a video! 2 different things dude. I'm done with this conversation. And you're the real jerk for judging me on how I want to spend my life and my time! I'm not going to say another thing to you. Have a nice day

Woah, you just pulled out a quote on me. You must be very smart.

It is stealing. You're not paying for what you receive. How you pay is by watching ads, and if you don't pay for something, it's called stealing. I'm not ignorant. If your life depended on ad revenue, I'm sure you would feel differently. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

To be honest, yes I do you adblocker. Why? Because I can't take ads! They annoy me and waste my time and IDC how much I like a person I NEVER pause adblock. And in my opinion that was a fake apology. He called it an "Apology "sort of" on Facebook and you could tell he really didn't mean it.... I mean I am a little shocked and slightly insulted but I think that people shouldn't JUST make a living of of YouTube. (Unless you're PewDiePie who makes $4M a year)  

P.S. Also considering unsubbing to LTT

you realize he hates fb and all his posts there are just a copy of what he posts on twitter

person below me is a scrub

Woah, you just pulled out a quote on me. You must be very smart.

It is stealing. You're not paying for what you receive. How you pay is by watching ads, and if you don't pay for something, it's called stealing. I'm not ignorant. You are actually the ignorant one. If your life depended on ad revenue, I'm sure you would feel differently. 

I actually wouldn't care at all. They have the right to choose. I know I said I wouldn't say another word to you but I just wanted to straighten that out for you. :)

I honestly do not understand how butt hurt people are getting over this, have you never been called a name before ? wtf

person below me is a scrub

you realize he hates fb and all his posts there are just a copy of what he posts on twitter

He said the same thing on twitter too

I actually wouldn't care at all. They have the right to choose. I know I said I wouldn't say another word to you but I just wanted to straighten that out for you. :)

So you wouldn't care if people were not paying you for work you did? So you would mow a lawn and give the person an option of paying you? Then be perfectly happy when they take advantage of you and don't pay you? Sounds great!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

BIG NEWS. The reason why he calls it scummy because HE MAKES LESS MONEY

-snip-

He's not the one screaming like a little child. I'd go into detail about how wrong several of your arguments are but quite frankly you are either intentionally trolling or far too immature to listen to what other people say. Whichever it is telling you how bloody wrong you are is pointless. If you feel like screaming at me in response to this post go for it, but nothing you can say will phase me in the least bit or get a rise out of me. You are welcome to beat your head against your keyboard trying though, it will be amusing.

No, you're just plain wrong. You're wrongfully taking content without giving something back. They put it on youtube because it is their job, not for the fun of it. You can not be so selfish to steal his content, Name one thing in life where you get something without giving?

He puts it on YT willingly, case closed.

It's basically free out there on the internet.

This doesn't make him or anybody who uses adblock scum or a thief, that is extremely crooked thinking. Adblock or no Adblock.

That would mean that anybody who likes content that they just came across and has Adblock also is 'scum' and a 'thief'.

We are not doing anything wrong, I have posted long and much about this and I am done.

Your thinking is flawed in my opinion.

Let's insult my fanbase for a couple of cents.

:ph34r: Mind blown  :ph34r:

And yes, I completely disagree with video ads.

Let's not forget that the same 'scum' give his videos views, like them, share them. favorite them, subscribe.

But no, still scum for using Adblock.

Get real.

His subs would be considerably less if not for the people who do use Adblock.

Oh and you wanting to judge/decide for us on what programs we can and can't use on our own pc's is just cute.

Your black/white view is just toxic in my opinion.

first of all i dont want this to become a fight. just a discussion.

if i hurt anyone with my last posts im sry

in my opinion

no matter what ill say i wont change your opinion, no matter what you say will not change my opinion.

so i just want to make my opinion clear.

everyone is allowed to do what ever they on their computer,anyone can install what ever he wants.

but when you use a service (in our case the service is youtube) 

this service allow you to get content for "free"

its not really free.you wont pay for it but you will do somthing else even if passivly to generat profit for the serivce ( youtube)

this service allow content creators to choose if they want to allow youtube to run ads on before and or on and or after the video

some content creators choose to define their work as creating youtube content.

the users of this service ussaly dont get it for free, they get it for "free"( most videos on youtube have ads).

to the point : 

the terms of using this "free" service is that you watch ads.

if everyone will use adblock there will be no youtube at leaest not for free

in my opinion

you should not use adblock. beacuse when you do you hurt the content creators , you hurt youtube (but google has a crap ton of money so this one dosent really matter), and you hurt the platform.if everyone would use adblock there will be no free and no "free" content it will all cost money

if you dont like the way the service work - do not use the service

if enough pepole wont use the sevice they will chance it.

just like videos games - if you dont want to buy a 60$ game.dont buy it , if enough pepole will do it the game price will go down

thank you for reading this long thing  :)

I dont watch the ads but im willing to donate food stamps if that helps everyone get paid...........

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

He puts it on YT willingly, case closed.

It's basically free out there on the internet.

This doesn't make him or anybody who uses adblock scum or a thief, that is extremely crooked thinking. Adblock or no Adblock.

He puts it on youtube as his job, not as a hobby. You take his content and give nothing back. That is plain wrong. 

He puts it on youtube as his job, not as a hobby. You take his content and give nothing back. That is plain wrong. 

I do, for what that matters. I have it off on this website. And those couple of cents will not make a difference.

Also don't you think it's a extremely extremely unreliable source of income just because people can get a small program from the Chrome Store within 10 seconds which denies him the income? How are we suddenly bad people for wanting to get a smoother video-watching/browsing experience, even if it is about those couple of cents.

He makes money off of ads. People are putting content out for you. All they ask in return is for you to watch a 5 second ad. When you use adblock he no one makes money. You're basically stealing content. 

No... Saying that using AdBlock is stealing is like saying changing TV channel when the commercials comes on is stealing.

I am not "basically stealing" content. He is giving away his video for free, and I am simply got loading all of it. Again, it's like changing channel when the ads come on. Is that considered stealing too, in your opinion?

I would be totally okay with you calling it immoral or something along those lines, but stealing as a proper definition and I don't think this fits it.

I do, for what that matters. I have it off on this website. And those couple of cents will not make a difference.

Also don't you think it's a extremely extremely unreliable source of income just because people can get a small program from the Chrome Store within 10 seconds which denies him the income? How are we suddenly bad people for wanting to get a smoother video-watching/browsing experience, even if it is about those couple of cents.

Those couple of cents add up. They don't even get money from mobile views. It doesn't matter if it is unreliable, it's their job. If you're selfish enough to deny them money because you don't want to watch 5 seconds of ads, then, I hate to say it, but you're a terrible person. 

Those couple of cents add up. They don't even get money from mobile views. It doesn't matter if it is unreliable, it's their job. If you're selfish enough to deny them money because you don't want to watch 5 seconds of ads, then, I hate to say it, but you're a terrible person. 

Not really, time is a very valuable thing.

Time also adds up, or do you forget that?

Also it's not always 5 seconds, not even skippable sometimes.

A terrible person is somebody who wastes time (which he doesn't with his videos).

But wanting us to waste time with video ads and when we don't want to insult us?

K.

No... Saying that using AdBlock is stealing is like saying changing TV channel when the commercials comes on is stealing.

I am not "basically stealing" content. He is giving away his video for free, and I am simply got loading all of it. Again, it's like changing channel when the ads come on. Is that considered stealing too, in your opinion?

I would be totally okay with you calling it immoral or something along those lines, but stealing as a proper definition and I don't think this fits it.

TV channels don't get payed for the amount of people watching at a particular time. They pay in advance depending on how many people will be watching at that time. Changing the channel when ads come on don't affect how much money the TV station gets at all.

Not really, time is a very valuable thing.

Time also adds up, or do you forget that?

Also it's not always 5 seconds, not even skippable sometimes.

A terrible person is somebody who wastes time also.

Are you kidding? His time is a valuable thing too! If he doesn't get payed for putting in his time to make videos, he simply won't do it anymore. You're time when watching youtube videos is worthless. You don't make money from watching youtube. Oh  boo hoo a 20 second ad? Can you not watch an ad for 20 seconds? What is your attention span? I have ADHD and can still sit through it. 

No one takes his content he provides it on a delivery platform that is completely free there is no monetary barrier of entry this is why YouTube has gained so much market share and has grown to be one of the most used websites on the internet. To this end he can moan and bitch all he wants about adblock users but would he remove those people as viewers? No the view count and subscriber count that he has as a result of those using adblock as well as those that are not outweigh the the possibilities for a couple hundred or thousand dollars per video and if he was really hurting for funds he would increase the volume of videos as well as the amount of sponsors he integrates in his videos.

Are you kidding? His time is a valuable thing too! If he doesn't get payed for putting in his time to make videos, he simply won't do it anymore. You're time when watching youtube videos is worthless. You don't make money from watching youtube. Oh  boo hoo a 20 second ad? Can you not watch an ad for 20 seconds? What is your attention span? I have ADHD and can still sit through it. 

So resorting to petty insults now? Shows me who I am talking to.

It is still his hobby, it also became his job because he is good at it.

Why should I pay for his hobby even if I watch his videos? He should be proud enough that his videos are good to watch, that I like and subbed and shared MANY times. In a way I advertised for him too and many others I reckon.

We make up for it in many ways.

And even if we didn't he still has the satisfaction of knowing he puts out good vids.

And yeah, I won't sit through a 20 second add. Banners I don't mind but video ads can go die in a hole.

You can't change my opinion anyway, I won't stop using Adblock on YT. I will gladly put it off here, but not there.

No one takes his content he provides it on a delivery platform that is completely free there is no monetary barrier of entry this is why YouTube has gained so much market share and has grown to be one of the most used websites on the internet. To this end he can moan and bitch all he wants about adblock users but would he remove those people as viewers? No the view count and subscriber count that he has as a result of those using adblock as well as those that are not outweigh the the possibilities for a couple hundred or thousand dollars per video and if he was really hurting for funds he would increase the volume of videos as well as the amount of sponsors he integrates in his videos.

I never said he was hurting for money. I'm sure he isn't. That doesn't exclude the fact that using adblock is scummy. Youtube makes it's money off of ads as well. They grew before adblock existed, thats how they gained market share. Adblock viewers do practically nothing for him and while he most likely wouldn't remove them, he could very well do that.

So resorting to petty insults now? Shows me who I am talking to.

It is still his hobby, it also became his job because he is good at it.

Why should I pay for his hobby even if I watch his videos? He should be proud enough that his videos are good to watch, that I like and subbed and shared MANY times. In a way I advertised for him too and many others I reckon.

We make up for it in many ways.

And even if we didn't he still has the satisfaction of knowing he puts out good vids.

And yeah, I won't sit through a 20 second add. Banners I don't mind but video ads can go die in a hole.

You can't change my opinion anyway, I won't stop using Adblock on YT. I will gladly put it off here, but not there.

I don't see any insults in my post... 

It is not his hobby. Barnacules had a job and posted videos as a hobby. If I worked at Alienware, building computers for money, would it still be a hobby? No it would be my job to build computers. You should "pay" for his videos for the same reason you pay for groceries, because nothing is free. He still has the satisfaction of making good videos? If everyone used adblock he wouldn't even have that because he wouldn't waste his time making videos anymore. 

If you depended on ads, I'm sure you wouldn't like adblock too much.

I think you are taking a bit too much of an extremely one-sided view on the situation. By watching ads you are giving revenue but it's not really stealing to have adblock on. People who put videos up should account for people using adblock. I simply will not browse the web on my desktop without adblock and flashblock enabled. I have it white list specific sites but I despise the ads on Youtube. I watch a lot from my iPad (so content creators do get something from me there) and 99% of the ads are one of several beer ads. Yeah I fucking hate beer, I can do without the shitty ads that do nothing but annoy me. It sucks for people like Linus but until Google changes how it does ads on YT I'm not disabling adblock there. I don't feel bad about it either. I'd rather support LMG through white listing this site and using the affiliate links, or maybe taking advantage of one of the things he advertises on his videos (if something pops up that gets my attention). Any of those will support it a hell of a lot more than me watching a couple videos a week.