Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

Its funny, you act like you are the pinnacle of the community. But for real, he does not use adblock in any way. And while we are not obligate to watch his advertising, he is producing (expensive) content for us, and he deserves a kickback for that. As far as you leaving, his 900K+ fans will still be here supporting him, you won't be missed. 

I don't claim to be the pinnacle of the community. My sentiments were those shared by a multitude of individuals showcasing their opinions in this very forum.

You are on the other side of the fence, you are allowed to be. I intend on doing nothing to change your view.

That said, as for me and those who feel similarly. I feel like Linus should respond, he should explain himself.

This of course being because my logic is sound. He needs to address the issue more effectively then, "I chose a poor word."

No, you are of a flawed ideology. Again, see my earlier rants.

---

The facts remain..

I am not obligated to watch his advertisements.

It is foolish to make the foundation of your company on a flimsy medium like you tube.

I white list you tube. But if the 10% who don't are causing this many problems. Imagine what will happen when there is a mass exodus to the newest thing. (Myspace -> Facebook)

--My argument--

Linus,

I respect you an infinitely large amount. You and TekSyndicate are my favorite youtube channels,

That said. I do believe you are in the wrong here. Please hear me out. If I get banned for speaking the truth, that is fine, I'll move along. As life always does.

I'm sorry, but the definition of self entitled does not extend to watching you-tube videos for free without having to experience the atrocious and elongated advertising that is showcased there.

Self entitlement is... Throwing rocks into rich people's cars because you are jealous they have what you don't. It's cussing out (people like you linus) people who are successful because you don't have what they have. It's accepting government welfare checks even when you don't need them because you're sticking it to the man and the rich who are so oppressive.

That is self entitled.

Me watching a video on a free site while using a tool that blocks advertising that often are offensive to my eye is not.

Youtube is not a job.

You, Linus, have found a means by which it can be profitable. But that does not make it a job in the common meaning of the terminology. (May I add here that it appears to me that using you-tube as a job is a rather impetuous move. Your livelihood and mortgage payment are predicated upon a medium that could fail at any moment.)

I am glad you've found yourself a niche, and are able to provide employment to people as well as employ yourself. But that doesn't give you a right to call people scummy and essentially self-entitled for again using an adblocking tool on a free website.

Cliche, but, you don't know me, you don't know the people behind these usernames.

It is not remotely fair to call someone scummy for using an ad blocker on you-tube.
---
The irony here. If you were to call them full out self entitled, you would be exhibiting the traits of an individual who is self entitled.

I, and the youtube community, are not obligated to give you money. Yes, we give you money by watching your ads.
---
Also, this is how the free market system works, Linus,
The people don't like the way you run your channel. We go pick a different product, in effect leaving yours.
Individuals have chosen an ad blocker, because we don't like the current option.
We are not obligated to stay, this isn't the USSR.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

Is it really entitlement? I paid for my pc, my monitor, my keyboard, my internet, etc. I should have some say in how my time is used because it's MY time.

If you want some say in how you spend your time, just don't look at videos that have advertisements. Just avoid youtube entirely.

If you want some say in how you spend your time, just don't look at videos that have advertisements. Just avoid youtube entirely.

Or you know, use Adblock.

I have no problem with adds integrated with content i.e. Square Space, dollar shave club etc. 

But when Google plays me some add about some bullshit product that has no meaning to me what so ever, I don't want to see it, hence I use AdBlock.

Exactly, at least in my country, all the ads I see is from some Phone carrier and Toothpaste, and that's it, I don't mind ads from the vids, I usually click the sponsors at least to check them out, and have changed my amazon bookmark to Linus' one. I mean, youtube's ads are not the only way to help Linus. There's also the goodies you can get. I use adblock on most sites, and there are others which are white-listed because lets be honest, in some websites, the ads implementations are just plain ridiculous, and take on unnecessary loading times for the websites (This is coming from someone who lives in a country where the fastest internet connection is 5mb/s ) And don't even get me started on those annoying flash animations on some sites. No need generalize all ad block users.

Or you know, use Adblock.

If I don't want to spend my money on video games but I want to play them anyway, I could just pirate them.

Well that was better than I expected

Yeah I actually like that video as well. and not just because lesbian robots

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If I don't want to spend my money on video games but I want to play them anyway, I could just pirate them.

Ads are unwanted, games are not.

Money is spent. Then it won't bother you anymore. I think donations are good, ads are annoying.

Ads are a constant nuisance throughout the day.

I fully agree with Linus TBH, though I'd have went with the term "jerks" and not "scum." I mean, it only takes a couple of seconds to disable AdBlock on LTT and help LinusMediaGroup in doing so, but you'd still rather have no ads over your one of your favourite content producers being able to actually afford to produce content?

I can understand why people pirate games though. Some games just aren't worth the money they're sold for, and at times the publishers themselves are just jerks :P e.g. EA, Ubisoft.

I fully agree with Linus TBH, though I'd have went with the term "jerks" and not "scum." I mean, it only takes a couple of seconds to disable AdBlock on LTT and help LinusMediaGroup in doing so, but you'd still rather have no ads over seeing your favourite content producer go down? 

I can understand why people pirate games though. Some games just aren't worth the money they're sold for, and at times the publishers themselves are just jerks e.g. EA, Ubisoft.

Well I have it disabled here. The banners are not the issue.

The issue is YouTube and their video ads.

I have it installed, yet I whitelist sites I like and on specific YouTube channels. Meh.

I fully agree with Linus TBH, though I'd have went with the term "jerks" and not "scum." I mean, it only takes a couple of seconds to disable AdBlock on LTT and help LinusMediaGroup in doing so, but you'd still rather have no ads over seeing your favourite content producer go down?

Jerks probably better choice I agree

Well I have it disabled here. The banners are not the issue.

The issue is YouTube and their video ads.

Definitely. If they stopped with those pre-video unskippable ads, I'd be fine with the YT ads

I fully agree with Linus TBH, though I'd have went with the term "jerks" and not "scum." I mean, it only takes a couple of seconds to disable AdBlock on LTT and help LinusMediaGroup in doing so, but you'd still rather have no ads over your one of your favourite content producers being able to actually afford to produce content?

I can understand why people pirate games though. Some games just aren't worth the money they're sold for, and at times the publishers themselves are just jerks :P e.g. EA, Ubisoft.

Like we mention, is not that simple to disable adblock on youtube just for Linus and other specific channels. It IS doable we posted 2 workarounds in this thread already but far from perfect.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I use abp across all browsers on all platforms. Ads have gotten out of hand. I don't use the Internet to have them crammed down my throat around every link and click and I should not feel obligated to do so for the sake of one or group of many person(s). In its current implementation, abp does not support white lists on YouTube by uploaded, regardless where you watch a given video. Currently it's only by going to that users page. Until the devs of abp include a way of whitelisting by uploaded globally, or somebody creates a reliable, efficient and easy to implement greasemonky snipet, my YouTube shall remain adless. I was not offended by Linus referring to those who use it as scummy. Just as my thoughts on ads and blocking are, that was his then (now rebutled) opinion. I have his page whitelisted on YouTube, but I'm not guaranteed to watch them there.

Up until recently my opinion of those who complain about their community / viewers using an ad block of any kind has been "shut up and go et a real job like the rest of us. We don't all get to sit on our asses in our homes and play games while making videos all day long whenever we want. Quit bitchung". While that is still true in some cases for me I realize Linus is not that person. He is one of the few people doing actual quantifiable work to deliver content not just to is casual viewers but commercial clients and sponsors on a regular basis. Think of me what you all will, I have spoken.

I am whatever I am. 

To the people who think managing a video production, marketing, and content producing company with hundreds of thousands of dollars in assets and revenues isn't a "job", please tell me exactly what you do for work.

I implore you. I'll go first. I'm a telecommunications and radio system trouble tech for a major railway. I make more than 100k a year. I can tell you Linus works way more than I do.

I'm a film student. Your move.

Please stop making out like post production applications are magical things that only special people can use; it really isn't that hard to edit, write scripts or come up with a marketable strategies to sell your product - hell. I've been harping on with one alone: get your partners to offer international options for their goods., instead of badgering on about dollar shave club. I know someone's going to pipe up and say "but his primary audience is" - yeah. Blah, blah, blah. You're on youtube; you don't have a target audience, because you're international.

Hell, I don't know why it's so hard to do - TB can often be found quoting prices for games in dollars, pounds and euros - why is it so damnably hard to consider wasting your energy on looking for way to tap that instead of pissing off a good portion of your audience by calling them scummy.

Hey. Here's some people you can even try considering they're probably the same target audience Linus:

• Thinkgeek
  • Threadless
  • QMX
  • Netflix
  • Greenmangaming

Additionally, set yourself up with affiliate IDs for Amazon in respective countries where you know you have catchment - youtube surely has a tool that gives you statistics to tell you where to target. I'd happily buy a new USB thumbdrive here or there instead of having to tolerate being called scum for daring to use adblock.

I use a fork by the way, because I'm sick of this BS that abp has been doing where people can now pay to be whitelisted. Or hey. If it's that much of a problem, pay to be whitelisted.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Jerks probably better choice I agree

Jerk would be a better choice, but as a piece of scum I wouldn't have had the mental capacity to suggest that.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

I see this thread is still going. Read the first few pages.

The word scummy was ill-chosen.

But the simple fact ramains that if everyone blocked the ads in my content Linus Tech Tips wouldn't exist. Period.

Those suggesting that I complain to Google... Do you think I can just call up Eric Schmidt and let him know I don't like the way they implement ads on YouTube? I laughed out loud.

YouTube isn't perfect but it's my best shot at running a viable business here so I can pay my employees and feed my family, so that's what I use. Those of you who opt to consume the content without supporting it, fine you're not "scummy". Come up with your own word for it ;)

At this point we're kicking a dead horse.

Linus shouldn't insult his target audience,

We should support Linus if we want to view his content, because if we didn't there wouldn't be content to view.

Linus should start doing custom order builds (if possible, probably not but still I think worth looking into) I know I'd buy one if I had the money. Because I'd know it came set up correctly.

That or come up with an LED fan design that's good, meaning:

No LED swastika,

RGB

Pressure Optimized

Swappable translucent UV and and opaque fan blades.

I'd totally buy the shit outta that fan.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip-

I would move to Vancouver to build PC's sold by LMG.

Yeah, let's strip rights from people using Adblock.

Great idea.

*mind blown*

lets strip money from pepole that should get it.

for hard work that they do

just beacuse we dont want to watch a 5 sec ad

great idea

:ph34r: mind blown :ph34r:

great idea

Let's insult my fanbase for a couple of cents.

:ph34r: Mind blown  :ph34r:

And yes, I completely disagree with video ads.

Let's not forget that the same 'scum' give his videos views, like them, share them. favorite them, subscribe.

But no, still scum for using Adblock.

Get real.

His subs would be considerably less if not for the people who do use Adblock.

Oh and you wanting to judge/decide for us on what programs we can and can't use on our own pc's is just cute.

Your black/white view is just toxic in my opinion.

Ads have gone too far, you literally cannot go to a webpage or watch a YouTube video without getting a really annoying advert. I don't want to hear about products and services after every single song I listen to. I blame YouTube.

I don't claim to be the pinnacle of the community. My sentiments were those shared by a multitude of individuals showcasing their opinions in this very forum.

You are on the other side of the fence, you are allowed to be. I intend on doing nothing to change your view.

That said, as for me and those who feel similarly. I feel like Linus should respond, he should explain himself.

This of course being because my logic is sound. He needs to address the issue more effectively then, "I chose a poor word."

No, you are of a flawed ideology. Again, see my earlier rants.

---

The facts remain..

I am not obligated to watch his advertisements.

It is foolish to make the foundation of your company on a flimsy medium like you tube.

I white list you tube. But if the 10% who don't are causing this many problems. Imagine what will happen when there is a mass exodus to the newest thing. (Myspace -> Facebook)

--My argument--

Linus,

I respect you an infinitely large amount. You and TekSyndicate are my favorite youtube channels,

That said. I do believe you are in the wrong here. Please hear me out. If I get banned for speaking the truth, that is fine, I'll move along. As life always does.

I'm sorry, but the definition of self entitled does not extend to watching you-tube videos for free without having to experience the atrocious and elongated advertising that is showcased there.

Self entitlement is... Throwing rocks into rich people's cars because you are jealous they have what you don't. It's cussing out (people like you linus) people who are successful because you don't have what they have. It's accepting government welfare checks even when you don't need them because you're sticking it to the man and the rich who are so oppressive.

That is self entitled.

Me watching a video on a free site while using a tool that blocks advertising that often are offensive to my eye is not.

Youtube is not a job.

You, Linus, have found a means by which it can be profitable. But that does not make it a job in the common meaning of the terminology. (May I add here that it appears to me that using you-tube as a job is a rather impetuous move. Your livelihood and mortgage payment are predicated upon a medium that could fail at any moment.)

I am glad you've found yourself a niche, and are able to provide employment to people as well as employ yourself. But that doesn't give you a right to call people scummy and essentially self-entitled for again using an adblocking tool on a free website.

Cliche, but, you don't know me, you don't know the people behind these usernames.

It is not remotely fair to call someone scummy for using an ad blocker on you-tube.
---
The irony here. If you were to call them full out self entitled, you would be exhibiting the traits of an individual who is self entitled.

I, and the youtube community, are not obligated to give you money. Yes, we give you money by watching your ads.
---
Also, this is how the free market system works, Linus,
The people don't like the way you run your channel. We go pick a different product, in effect leaving yours.
Individuals have chosen an ad blocker, because we don't like the current option.
We are not obligated to stay, this isn't the USSR.

I have nothing more to say because you think your logic isn't flawed and I have no way to change that, so why bother trying. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

great idea

Yep, I am actually totally okay with that. If Linus wants to have video ads, then sponsor spots, then banners next to the video, then a bunch of links in the video (stuff like "click this button for fun" and then it takes you to the subscription page), and popup ads (I guess they are called "InVideo Ads") then I think he has gone too far and I will start blocking them.

I am totally okay with ads as long as they are good. The ads on LTT are good so I don't block them. The ads on YouTube are absolutely horrible so I block them.

Want me to allow you ads? Then don't have too many or too obnoxious ads. It is as simple as that.

Instead of insulting his fans maybe Linus should think about WHY people use AdBlock and how to make them accept ads.

I think many people will agree.

Who is Linus?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.