Linus called adblock users scummy

jhen

errr.. who gives a fark just do what ever you want and let that be. its your choice I have ad block cause they are annoying.

lives on

BAKABT

Is this one of those things that went viral just because someone (Linus) said 'Those scummy adblock users' ?

Still can't find it in the WANshow archive video. Which minute is it at?

Still can't find it in the WANshow archive video. Which minute is it at?

Oh I don't know, I just assumed he said something like that and people got offended by it.

F their services. Joe blow in his moms basement could provide the same content as Linus with an iPhone. Just cause he wants YouTube videos to pay for his house wife kid and life I have get spammed for at least 5 seconds every time I click something on YouTube.

Damn that's pretty insulting. Reported.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

xD I am not insulted because I turn adblock off for those who deserve the revenue, i'm 99% sure he isn't talking about adblock users that watch content creators ads. I allow ads on LTT, youtube, and a few other sites I use a lot.

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

The technical term in the industry is called a dick move. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

The technical term in the industry is called a dick move. 

No it isn't. Unless you mean that for Linus? Which I could kinda agree.

I'm very dissapointed by this "news". Didn't expect that from you Linus, let alone few other random guys here. I wouldn't mind if he said something like, "if you whitelist us it will help us alot" or whatever, and not call people names. That is stupid.

He gets views, likes and probaly comments from adblock users, and they will show the video to friends, etc.

While we whitelisted adblock users, will also give something extra in return (well Google will pay him).

AGAIN, he fucking wins both time, what the fuck he has to complain about that? (Even after he apologized)

If he doesn't like them, why doesn't he block them from viewing any content from him? Youtube creators are becoming TV media, and I didn't fucking watch TV in like forever (except World Cup (football). Yeah, keep up with attitude and you won't see me again (or actually I won't see you). And let me remind you that I start to watch you way back when you like started working at NCIX, and loved your content, even more now, but if you keep up with this attitude towards some viewers... I will be gone in heartbeat.

Maybe you (Linus) need to scream more and call things names, like Stephano, and you will get more kids that have no brain in viewer base. You will be able to hire even more people and be like kingpin.

And I don't think it is that big of deal with AdBlock, If it would be, he would drop all this "Youtube work" or whatever you call this, a long time ago. And most of time AdBlock is fucking life saver, if you disagree with that then you probaly have no idea about security or have any knowledge about PC.

"Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys."

I'm pirate. U ban me Linus?

No it isn't. Unless you mean that for Linus? Which I could kinda agree.

I'm very dissapointed by this "news". Didn't expect that from you Linus, let alone few other random guys here. I wouldn't mind if he said something like, "if you whitelist us it will help us alot" or whatever, and not call people names. That is stupid.

He gets views, likes and probaly comments from adblock users, and they will show the video to friends, etc.

While we whitelisted adblock users, will also give something extra in return (well Google will pay him).

AGAIN, he fucking wins both time, what the fuck he has to complain about that? (Even after he apologized)

If he doesn't like them, why doesn't he block them from viewing any content from him? Youtube creators are becoming TV media, and I didn't fucking watch TV in like forever (except World Cup (football). Yeah, keep up with attitude and you won't see me again (or actually I won't see you). And let me remind you that I start to watch you way back when you like started working at NCIX, and loved your content, even more now, but if you keep up with this attitude towards some viewers... I will be gone in heartbeat.

Maybe you (Linus) need to scream more and call things names, like Stephano, and you will get more kids that have no brain in viewer base. You will be able to hire even more people and be like kingpin.

And I don't think it is that big of deal with AdBlock, If it would be, he would drop all this "Youtube work" or whatever you call this, a long time ago. And most of time AdBlock is fucking life saver, if you disagree with that then you probaly have no idea about security or have any knowledge about PC.

That was a joke, obviously that isn't a technical term. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

• 11 months later...

Even though he is forgiven. He is now using Vessel, so this statement is now invalid 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Well, I don't give a damn what Linus thinks about Adblock users. I use ad blocker and ad blocker+.

Edit: didn't look at the dates of the posts. : /

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

TLDR'd the whole thread except for OPs post.

I honestly think that noone should care. It is kinda mean towards the creator to use adblock, but honestly, if youtube will add 10 advertisements to a 30 minute video, they can go suck a cucumber. One ad, only in the beginning unless the video is +2hour (and then have ONE add every 2 hour). If this was the case, I might have turned off Adblock, but it isn't. Way too many advertisements. 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

• 1 month later...

I already posted this question on another forum post, but I have yet to get a reply.

This is the actually the opposite of the ad block topic, but does it help youtube content providers (particularly Linus) if I allowed the pre-vid ads to finish instead of skipping them? Or is the unskippable 5-second intro enough for the content provider to earn his keep?

I use adblock when I find time to watch videos, but then at work, I just let linus' playlist on youtube play in the background. Does it help them out or should I just stop this "playing in the background" nonsense and just allow their ads when i watch?

So I'm scum for preserving my rights and freedoms?

Toppest of keks.

And I'm not even talking specifically about Linus' videos, because I don't even care about them.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Despite this being an older topic I have no problems with being called scummy by someone I don't personally know and likely will never meet. I know who I am, what I am made of and the overall quality of my character. I have no need to justify my actions nor my reasons to others, much less the content providers. If per veiw ad revenue was/is so important then it's past time to look into platforms that better suit such guarantee (such as vessle due to it's membership fee).

I use Adblock.

Why? Because I'm interrupted halfway through every damn video anyway with the most repetitive commercials. Why should I have to deal witheven more Ads than the ones Google forces onto me?

Am I the only one upset about this insult?

*edit- Linus said he shouldn't have said it and he has been forgiven by all

If you care that much about someone's opinion, you're going to have a hard time in life. If one of your main sources of income was through youtube videos, you'd say the same thing. Honestly, just stop caring - you'll be much happier in the end.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

See. That fact when I'm watching a YouTube video and a random adverts come in my face. They annoy me, the ones which you cannot skip. If they were to place it somewhere where they don't cause me problems then I'm fine it. Also I don't like those adverts that shake around and have bright flashing lights. Too much adverts on a website = adblock enabled.

But I want to support Linus and his team. That's why I pay for Vessel and I don't use adblock on his fourm. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Why did you revive a year old thread? Come on guys

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

No, because you are scum for using adblock. You're taking money out of his pocket because you want to block ads.

No... You are not taking money out of his pocket by using AdBlock... That would mean that you profit out of it.

You are not putting money into his pocket when you are using AdBlock.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

You officially win in my book for having that as your title. 

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

meh... considering that many tech channels are pretty much solely devoted to advertisement ( eg sponsored videos (eg. corsair strafe real mech or nothing plugs) with placements for other companies i think that his statement is over reaching a bit.... then again I don't run a youtube channel and support a family off of it so, lets just say it may not have been a appropriate public statement.

I know, Linus is such a scumbag for wanting to support his family and trying to stay alive.

/s

Although I don't agree to what the guy said. Let's not pretend that Linus is struggling to put food on the table.

Yes.

Technically, using AdBlock makes you a dick. You are bypassing the advertisements that provide revenue per view/click to the host because of your own convienence.

Adblock -worse than piracy because you didn't have to pay in the first place

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)