Samsung reportedly won’t include chargers with some phones starting next year

FootFetish
8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Ever heard of spares? Maybe you can have a charger in your bedroom and one at your office so you don't have to mess with it every morning and evening at the risk of forgetting? What about your car?

Oh I have plenty of spares, as I mentioned, I bought some cables and since then I've gotten ~5 1m cables too many. In case of other lengths if they failed I'd have to replace them.

I have a cable in my backpack, next to my pc, next to bed, at work, in my bike sack, in car, 2 cables with powerbanks and some other just laying around.

Throwing out was in reference to my example of 5m cables which I know for a fact many don't want to use, ever, not to mention the worse performance they offer.

To be honest, I could get behind this. It stops waste and clutter. I don't know how many micro B cables I have but its a lot. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

To be honest, I could get behind this. It stops waste and clutter. I don't know how many micro B cables I have but its a lot. 

all of which would be useless with a new phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

all of which would be useless with a new phone.

Cheap devices still use Micro B. But I do have USB type C cable as well from my One Plus 3T and a Lightning cable for my iPhone. My mom also have USB C cables for her phone. The point is every one in the world has a drawer of cabling and doesn't need new chargers or cables. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cheap devices still use Micro B. But I do have USB type C cable as well from my One Plus 3T and a Lightning cable for my iPhone. My mom also have USB C cables for her phone. The point is every one in the world has a drawer of cabling and doesn't need new chargers or cables. 

So you have a grand total of 1 usb-c cable for yourself... and you call that "a drawer of cabling"?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So you have a grand total of 1 usb-c cable for yourself... and you call that "a drawer of cabling"?

Well firstly Im now an Apple user. But between me and my folks we probably have 3 or 4 type C's (I have more as I have a Nintendo Switch which uses USB type C to charge and I have a type C cable that plugs in to the dock that charges my pro controller, I have a number of Micro B's which are still relevant because I have at least 3 or 4 devices that are Micro B. Only have 1 lightning but you can get cheap charging cables. So yeah I have a drawer of cabling. 

The fact is you can buy charging cables for cheap. Im sure many have chargers they can use. Most of the time I charge my phone in my car or I use wireless charging. I think if Samsung can reduce waste then go for it. Im sure there will be people who whine and moan, but personally I don't care about those people its called adapt or die. 

57 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The fact is you can buy charging cables for cheap

Who cares, samsung can buy them for cheaper and they should be included with a multiple hundred $ device that can't function without them.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

Who cares, samsung can buy them for cheaper and they should be included with a multiple hundred $ device that can't function without them.

If you cant afford the charger then you cant afford the phone. Most people have a cable and have charging bricks. No reason to keep providing something that's just going to clutter up a drawer. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If you cant afford the charger then you cant afford the phone. Most people have a cable and have charging bricks. No reason to keep providing something that's just going to clutter up a drawer. 

It's more of if I spend $1,000 on a phone why should the charger be an extra cost? The cables I don't mind as much because included cables are either crap or not long enough, and the Anker cables are so much nicer.

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If you cant afford the charger then you cant afford the phone.

That's like saying a Porsche should come without tires because "if you can't afford the tires you can't afford the car".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's like saying a Porsche should come without tires because "if you can't afford the tires you can't afford the car".

A dslr does not come with a lens in the box. Just the body.

4 minutes ago, avg123 said:

A dslr does not come with a lens in the box. Just the body.

That would be because the lens often costs as much as the camera or even a lot more. Including a charger probably costs Samsung under 1$.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

You can buy a prebuilt desktop without a monitor. Last I checked that was essential to using the desktop. Fact is your argument doesn't hold up. Like I said, if you cant afford a charger then you should buy the device. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You can buy a prebuilt desktop without a monitor.

Yes, let's compare an additional cost of $1 to the cost of a monitor.

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Last I checked that was essential to using the desktop.

It's technically not but, even if it were, again, you're dishonestly comparing something that is typically 1/4th or 1/5th the price of the item itself to something that is less than 1/500th. The correct analogy here would be the power supply cable and I assure you, no system integrator would even DREAM of not including it even with their cheapest prebuilts.

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Fact is your argument doesn't hold up.

It holds up just fine if you don't make incomparable analogies.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What I think would be be cool would be if when you order the phone you want you are asked if you need a charger cable power brick or both - if you don't need them you get the phone in a smaller box than phones currently come in but if you want a charger it comes at an additional cost but it comes in the box with the phone which saves on normal waste.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Blademaster91 said:

I don't see the point in not including a charger, if i'm spending $1,000 or more on a phone it should come with a charger.

And it wouldn't cost companies that much more to include at least a 15W charger.  The non-replaceable batteries in phones is more of an e-waste issue than including a charger.

Non replaceable batteries is definitely worse for the environment.  Especially when apple keep convincing people to buy another phone rather than repair the old one. 

On 7/9/2020 at 5:40 PM, hollyh88 said:

and i wouldnt care about waste lol. if i buy a 500+ euro phone i better be getting a damm charger with it. its always handy to have an extra one. 

And this attitude is why we have a waste problem in the first place. 

To the thread,  People need to learn about false economies.  A term which is applied to logistics and stock as much as financial conditions.   Having to buy a new charger every 3-5 years (even if it cost slightly more than having them provided with every phone) works out significantly less wasteful than supplying one with every phone, and if you are the type of person to complain about a $10 purchase every 3-5 years because you don't understand how damaging this is to the environment then calling other people stupid is massively ironic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/9/2020 at 1:45 AM, IAmAndre said:

What do you mean?

You said you wouldn't have invested in the 30w charger if it wasn't included, so you wouldn't really have missed it if it wasn't there and the phone was slightly cheaper.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

You said you wouldn't have invested in the 30w charger if it wasn't included, so you wouldn't really have missed it if it wasn't there and the phone was slightly cheaper.

Yes that's my point. Not including any charger is a good way of selling the more expensive ones.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

And this attitude is why we have a waste problem in the first place. 

yes that is correct. but also, i do not care. if i pay so much for a phone. then yes i want my damm charger. that they want to give us less for more is not okay. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

While a nice idea in theory, it does open up problems given how many differences there are in battery and charging technologies.

Fast charging, wattage differences, capacity differences, and then the quality of the cables used will all have an impact. For enthusiasts that pay attention to that stuff, and that may buy quality cables and chargers and know their device limits, it's a whole different story for the general populace who will buy things conveniently and cheaply and potentially ruin their devices or receive poor experiences from their tech.

Unless standards and tech improve, it could be leading to far more waste as people attempt to utilize lesser products before obtaining quality.

this is just going to cause more ewaste as people buy cheap chargers witch brack esaily and damage there batery causing more ewaste. i personly use all my chargers that come with my phone.

Please excuse my spelling

On 7/9/2020 at 1:53 AM, RejZoR said:

Yeah, well, now you'll have none. No cables or chargers. And you'll have to buy them extra, even when needed and they'll all come in extra packaging and extra transportation required for them. You're literally producing more waste. But hey, lets all feel gud about it how we're saving world while not really and paying more for it for no god damn reason. If you think Apple or Samsung will charge you less for base device because of it, you're so wrong it's not even funny.

I think that by not including the charges with every phone, there will be less chargers produced overall, since many people already have plenty of them, therefore reducing waste that comes not only in the form of the final abandoned charger, but as a byproduct of the production process. Packaging is also pollution, but would it be more wasteful than what we have right now? It can be made of recyclable plastic/cardboard, while chargers contain many different metals and plastic which have to be separated before recycling in a much harder process by comparison.

Im pretty sure 99% of people have a ton of USB 5V chargers.
But when it comes to fast chargers, that number drastically decreases. And those who do have fast chargers often have Qualcom's Quick charge, not USB PD.

I can literally list the amount of of people in my workplace (a sample size of ~70 people ranging from 14-75 years old) who have a USB PD charger. Two, and I am one of them.
And the only reason I have that is because its the charger to my Thinkpad. Actually I can probably count with my two hands the amount of people who have USB C on their phones. (Granted we have a lot of iphone users)
It doesn't help that USB PD in phones is still rather new and was really only implemented in high end flagship phones.

8 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Im pretty sure 99% of people have a ton of USB 5V chargers.
But when it comes to fast chargers, that number drastically decreases. And those who do have fast chargers often have Qualcom's Quick charge, not USB PD.

I can literally list the amount of of people in my workplace (a sample size of ~70 people ranging from 14-75 years old) who have a USB PD charger. Two, and I am one of them.
And the only reason I have that is because its the charger to my Thinkpad. Actually I can probably count with my two hands the amount of people who have USB C on their phones. (Granted we have a lot of iphone users)
It doesn't help that USB PD in phones is still rather new and was really only implemented in high end flagship phones.

I've never even seen a USB PD charger in person. It's either generic whatever charger or a QuickCharge one. Lightning cables aren't even an issue as soemone always has an iPhone around or I'm blessed by supplier gadgets in form of 3 in 1 cables that have big USB that splits into microUSB, USB-C and Lightning. But PD charger, yeah, no. Other thing that sucks with those is that they have USB-C on the output side. Good luck finding USB-C to USB-C cable lol. Or even USB-C to Lightning...

Couldn't care less.

I already have about 10 USB wall chargers that I've acquired over several years. A couple of those have broken and had to be thrown away but still, why do I need any more?

In the UK, where I live, you can buy a decent quality USB charger for about £4 (approximately US$5, CA$7 or €4.5). If you're willing to buy no-name imported products (which I wouldn't suggest but anyway) that can get as low as £1. Do you really think the average first purchaser of a new phone can't afford that?

It's like saying that every new car should come with a voucher for driving lessons on the offchance that someone buys it who doesn't have a driving license. Possible, but needless.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.