Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ColinLTT

First Person View PC BUILD Guide!

Posted · Original PosterOP

Linus is taking the reins away from our film team and giving you his own view of building a gaming PC. This is a first person build guide featuring Intel's 9700K CPU will take you step by step through the entire build from scratch.

I won't watch it, but Interesting idea, could be useful for a lot of people.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is super creative and I get that you guys are trying new stuff... but who would realistically watch this? A first-time builder isn't going to find this video with the title, and your long-time fans aren't going to watch past the 1 minute mark because it just isn't interesting other than the gimmick. It boggles my mind that Linus thinks his hosting is causing the declining viewership, when creative energy is being put into stuff like this.

uff the fan cable for the CPU and doing the knot, i do know that it is not something that will break the cable just "then", but it still hurts me.

having worked with electrical parts as an engineer, and IPC620 standards, and with elasticity of metals (copper in this instance) there is a reason why hard bends on cables are not a good thing..

Yes you did not tie it that hard, but this is still educational... and maybe remounting this fan a couple of times and retie the knot will end up breaking cores in that cable, and it will loose its capability to actually deliver power, and Noctua fans are NOT cheap.

It is a detail. but elasticity and moving beyond the area where material can reform, and ends up deforming is not a great thing. 

having bought a house with CAT 6 installed, and having an "owner" before me, just folding the cable into the wall with hard bends, these cables where so bittle, that just redoing the connectors to Cat 6 to actually getting 10gbit, ended up demanding me to pull 8 new cables, sucks. 

Is it just me or is it a bit funny that the AMD logo is bigger than the intel logo on the motherboard box?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This is kind of cool but it would be nice if the video were just in a 16:9 ratio for once

Oh, and I'm also interested in what camera you used and just any interested stuff about the way it was filmed

Edited by hiitswilliam

Connecting your anti static wristband to the PSU are not a good solution, specially the fan shroud.  I have tested this with 4 different PSU and all when used paint that had isolating properties, it was actually only the mounting screws that connected the case to ground.   One of the PSU was a Corsair but not the same model that are used in the video.  The other three was from Seasonic, Evga and Fractal.

Fan shroud was one of the parts with the thickest paint coats and there for worst place to use.  Fasten a screw and use that as anchor point was the best solution we found. 

I'm a simple person. I see content made with effort, I like it.

I liked the idea, the writing was suitably quirky, and it got my attention. I felt like it was informative in a way that it's beginner-friendly and these experiments are generally interesting in my opinion.

Stay cool!

I wish LTT would get hold of an ESD expert and do a thorough video on proper ESD-aware procedures.

Connecting yourself electrically to grid-connected equipment like that isn't a good idea, especially since it has to be assumed that it's often the first time a particular PSU is used and plugged in - so if there's a short and grounding fault in it, you might not know until you have 120/230 V connected to your forearm! And it does little to eliminate the potential difference between the computer case/components and your body, which should be the goal. People in warm and humid climates, where the indoor relative humidity is high, can get away with sloppy and careless handling, but in cooler and drier parts of the world, the indoor humidity could be 20 %, and that's bad from an ESD perspective...

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) DDR4-3000 CL15 LPX | GPU: Palit RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GamingPro OC | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

6:38 NEVER EVER do that. The fan motor is fragile. You don't "break" the fan but it can start make noises. 

9:08 If you do that, then re-apply the thermal paste. Otherwise there 's gonna be air gaps in the paste.

11:12 That's a really silly idea. Just wrap the cable around the fan's frame.

16:50 Sure in that way it'll looks better but it'll be a nightmare if you need to replace that fan

23:50 Check the Motherboard manual to make sure that you are plugging the sata cable in a sata 3 port. Don't choose it randomly.

31:12 Definitely pre-install your cables.

3 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

This is kind of cool but it would be nice if the video were just in a 16:9 ratio for once

Oh, and I'm also interested in what camera you used and just any interested stuff about the way it was filmed

At 12:18 there is a shot in the reflection of the side panel.  Interested in what hardware mount and camera they used as well.

image.png.ec7ac568cd523950b12c784d7a68877b.png

2 hours ago, Brad Man said:

At 12:18 there is a shot in the reflection of the side panel.  Interested in what hardware mount and camera they used as well.

image.png.ec7ac568cd523950b12c784d7a68877b.png

It looks like a gopro hero 7 maybe, head strap with gopro mount upside down

main HP prebuilt          win 7 old game               main laptop acer e5-15                    lenovo 11e chromebook 3rd gen (school) 

i5-3470                         intel i5 2400                                                                              intel celeron     

lenovo cih61m1m v1                   intel i3 7thgen                                     4gb ram

14GB ram             4GB ram                                     12GB ram                                        10gb ssd

500gb HDD           1tb HDD                                     1TB HDD                                          chrome os 

blu ray drive        dual dvd roms                              dvd rom

win 10                   win 7                                          win 10

case themaltake lan box  

myanimelist

#Muricaparrotgang

how tired were your neck and eyes after the shoot, linus? did you actually have to be too conscious of where you're pointing your head vertically?

just wanna compare notes because i've literally experimented with FP"S" before. personally i had a gopro and shot vertically in 2K (didn't have the space for 4K but i would if i had). it's vertical because all the nodding will be adjusted in post (i.e. move the vertical footage up or down in a horizontal sequence) (also because the eyes can be looking "forward" but the head is "pointing elsewhere above or below". try nodding while keeping your eyes on an object). as for side head tilt it's corrected with rotating the clip (because our eyes compensate for the upward or sky-ward direction when we tilt our head sideways), but there's bound to be some loss of edges when framing wide and also when doing stabilisers

hardcore hendry was shot on gopros as well (although the cameras were placed in front of the mouth). kinda half wishing that i caught it when it came out so that i could study the camerawork in terms of the cameraman's minute posture and movement ,_,

58 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

enhance!

TDp8okU.png

Linus Sebastian, going dark

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

8 hours ago, Lendon--95 said:

6:38 NEVER EVER do that. The fan motor is fragile. You don't "break" the fan but it can start make noises. 

9:08 If you do that, then re-apply the thermal paste. Otherwise there 's gonna be air gaps in the paste.

11:12 That's a really silly idea. Just wrap the cable around the fan's frame.

16:50 Sure in that way it'll looks better but it'll be a nightmare if you need to replace that fan

23:50 Check the Motherboard manual to make sure that you are plugging the sata cable in a sata 3 port. Don't choose it randomly.

1. No

2. No as well. The amount of pressure that the cooler mounting system puts on the CPU completely eliminates any air gaps.

3. Most of the time it doesn't work because you won't reach the connector. So twisting the cable is the better solution.

4. Realistically speaking how many times do you really change the fan? Yes, it's usually the first component that goes bad because it's a moving part, but by that point I would say you will change the whole system or move to another case. So...

5. This is 2019 and we're some hours away from 2020 and some countries are already in 2020. We don't have sata 1 or 2 anymore. It's all sata 3.

6. Depends on the case.  

i've done that multiple times on the same application over a few years. it's fiiiine

(with NT-H1 at least)

that's VERY outdated advice that hasn't been a thing some time before skylake ._. the only thing to look out for is when installing SATA m.2 SSDs and what does the particular motherboard do to connect it (e.g. reroute a SATA port to the m.2 socket, which means a port would not be usable)

depends on case. there are merits to inserting cables on the motherboard OR the PSU before installing them, but having advice in general will make a lot of edge cases in terms of orders of operations ._.

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i've done that multiple times on the same application over a few years. it's fiiiine

(with NT-H1 at least)

been doing it with the CPU waterblocks in my server for a while also.

just make sure you mount it back properly and the temp difference is almost 0.

after doing this 2-3 times i would recommend changing out the paste tough.

X399M Taichi - Threadripper 1950X - RTX 2080 - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac Woody  60% Keyboard

Hardware currently Folding: RTX 2080Ti - (2X) Xeon E5 2650V2  - RTX 2080 - TR 1950X

4 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

1. No

2. No as well. The amount of pressure that the cooler mounting system puts on the CPU completely eliminates any air gaps.

3. Most of the time it doesn't work because you won't reach the connector. So twisting the cable is the better solution.

4. Realistically speaking how many times do you really change the fan? Yes, it's usually the first component that goes bad because it's a moving part, but by that point I would say you will change the whole system or move to another case. So...

5. This is 2019 and we're some hours away from 2020 and some countries are already in 2020. We don't have sata 1 or 2 anymore. It's all sata 3.

6. Depends on the case.  

3. do you actually know anything about mechanics? soft twists of cables, are no issue, since it still is not sharp bends, knots are a NO GO..

1. Yes on a noctua fan this might not be an issue, since it is a decent construction, but the inner plastic hub on a cheaper fan can quite easily break, or get bend, so you might on a cheaper fan get issues, also the plastic taps holding the fans to the outer shroud are actually even on Noctua fans quite brittle, i had a Noctua break there, because of poor handling by my son.

a video when training should not be focused, en exactly this hardware, so a bit of a broader explaination of f.ex. 6 could be nice, but a decent video....

what Yvone would said about this video ? I am curious.

and Nice mod mat you got there but shame that is not on LTTstore.com ?

on serious note , some what informative trick even if I have experienced on building computer.

constuctive argument is good.  It's give me somewhat more in-depth.

people tend to do thing in different way ,anyway.

mine is easier slacker way that cause problem later. ?

stricly speaking about cable

normally copper is pretty soft metal depending on how pure it's and what impuritay and metal coating on external side. and depending on  (what does it call in English).  the externalplastic part or rubber or etc. that might effect the strengthen of cable.  twist no problem as you said. some type cable even come in twist inside. the  90 degree angle, no so much problem(some pcb desing in some application does that) but it doe's not ideal condition and in side the case when one finish building it. it mainly stay that way. so I barely see no problem in that.(sharp angle are not good for electrical purpose,btw but curve angle is okish.)

the problem with fan cable Iused to see so far, it's very very thin for some cheapo fan and easier too break while one moving uncarefully.

the cable that moving a lot have more problem like charging cable or headphone cable.

the cable inside the car or something that using inside moving vehicle need some speaclize cable (some reinforce or structure design to compensate)

so warp the cable around the fan frame. the angle tend to be 90 degree but it curve turn anyway.  I never see a  problem but It's does not mean it might exist. I might just don't know

and yes, I am kinda guy that wrap cable around the fan or heatsink w/o problem but that just few sample size.

and it's not like optical glass cable that can't even turn 90 degree. that guarantee to break it.

"Glass is Glass. 
And glass breaks." JerryRigEverything (just want to make that joke?)

Ps. sorry about my broken Engrish. and I barely visit forum so don't expect respond.

Nice product placement there LTT! I like the fact you guys support other tech channels. Steve at GN is doing Gods work. ?

Isn't TridentZ RGB gimmicky and more expensive for pizzazz? Also I've never heard of grounding your ESD strap on your PSU before, even in your own build guides.

Then again, I don't use ESD straps anyway. >_>