Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie

dual290x

IS This a Christmas Movie  

56 members have voted

1. 1. IS Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

• Yes
    • No

I tried posting yesterday and I failed. Vote to tell me what you think.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Of course it is!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

The question is - is it voluntary?

It's shown on TV no matter what.

Is Home Alone a christmas movie - hell YES!

I edit my posts more often than not

I've been told it is, but I've only seen the second or third one (I forget which) ?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

It's a movie that happens during the Christmas season.

That's all it is. It is NOT an actual Christmas movie. It's an action movie where the events of said movie just so happen to be in that time.

There's a ton of reasons as to why it isn't, but to me, the single most important reason why it is not a Christmas movie...

Is the release date.

That's right, the release date. Not the overarching themes that do not match what a Christmas movie usually is(though it is important), but the release date.

Die Hard 1 and 2 came out in July.

Nearly every "proper" Christmas movies came out late September to December and were likely to still be in theater by Christmas day. (there are a few outlier out there, but for example, out of the 50 recent ones that I could find, all but a single french movie(A Christmas Tale from 2008) were released in that time frame.)
By the time Christmas rolled around, Die Hard was no longer airing in theaters. It's not a Christmas movie. It's a midsummer action blockbuster that just so happen to have used Christmas as the plot's excuse to explain why he was there.

It could've literally happened on any other day, like Valentine, but if it did do you think anybody would go around claiming "well obviously it's a romantic movie for lovers everywhere because it's happening on Valentine's day!" ? Obviously not. It's not a Christmas movie, claiming that it is, is just trolling at this point and fishing for reactions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Of course not. Christmas movies have to have some Christmas theme, not just take place during Christmas. If it's a Christmas movie then so is any Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

12 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's a movie that happens during the Christmas season.

That's all it is. It is NOT an actual Christmas movie. It's an action movie where the events of said movie just so happen to be in that time.

There's a ton of reasons as to why it isn't, but to me, the single most important reason why it is not a Christmas movie...

Is the release date.

That's right, the release date. Not the overarching themes that do not match what a Christmas movie usually is(though it is important), but the release date.

Die Hard 1 and 2 came out in July.

Nearly every "proper" Christmas movies came out late September to December and were likely to still be in theater by Christmas day. (there are a few outlier out there, but for example, out of the 50 recent ones that I could find, all but a single french movie(A Christmas Tale from 2008) were released in that time frame.)
By the time Christmas rolled around, Die Hard was no longer airing in theaters. It's not a Christmas movie. It's a midsummer action blockbuster that just so happen to have used Christmas as the plot's excuse to explain why he was there.

It could've literally happened on any other day, like Valentine, but if it did do you think anybody would go around claiming "well obviously it's a romantic movie for lovers everywhere because it's happening on Valentine's day!" ? Obviously not. It's not a Christmas movie, claiming that it is, is just trolling at this point and fishing for reactions.

Bruce Willis plays an antihero. It's an anti Christmas movie. It was released for Christmas in July which is when shoppers try to sneak in deals like buying heaters in the summer for use during a time frame that happens to be Christmas. Die hard is about breaking the mold, poking fun at mold, and reusing broken mold to create another one. They did do the same thing with 2 only blew up an airport. I dont think people initially went to see the movie and thought xmas, but they did once they saw it.

3 hours ago, Delicious Cake said:

Yes, it's a Christmas movie. Just like how Fast & Furious 5 onwards is basically anime.

I would've said starting with Tokyo Drift, but alright.

#Muricaparrotgang

It's a Christmas movie to me. Yes, it was released in July, but the town I grew up in didn't get the movie in theatres till December. That's when I first watched it. In December, during the Christmas holiday.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

8 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Christmas movies have to have some Christmas theme, not just take place during Christmas.

It'll always be a Christmas movie in my book! ?

spacer.png

Not only is Diehard a Christmas movie. But its the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

Release date means nothing to me. If "A Christmas Story" was release in the summer its still a Christmas movie. 

31 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Not only is Diehard a Christmas movie. But its the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

Release date means nothing to me. If "A Christmas Story" was release in the summer its still a Christmas movie. 

Except it was released in Christmas time and is explicitly about Christmas. Die Hard is a summer action Blockbuster that has nothing to do with Christmas. This is just some dumb "controversial" bullshit argument the internet invented when there was never a question before. James Bond does the dirty with lots of girls, but absolutely no one is calling them romance movies.

And it's not that great a movie. Certainly not better than a Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Except it was released in Christmas time and is explicitly about Christmas. Die Hard is a summer action Blockbuster that has nothing to do with Christmas. This is just some dumb "controversial" bullshit argument the internet invented when there was never a question before. James Bond does the dirty with lots of girls, but absolutely no one is calling them romance movies.

And it's not that great a movie. Certainly not better than a Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation.

And Die Hard is explicitly about an event that happens on xmas eve at an xmas party.  

Release date should have nothing to do with it. Gremlins was released in the summer yet its a christmas movie. 

And i would rate Die Hard as a much much better film then Christmas Vacation. Christmas Story is a hard one...if have to really think about if i like it more then Die Hard.

34 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

And Die Hard is explicitly about an event that happens on xmas eve at an xmas party.  

Release date should have nothing to do with it. Gremlins was released in the summer yet its a christmas movie. 

And i would rate Die Hard as a much much better film then Christmas Vacation. Christmas Story is a hard one...if have to really think about if i like it more then Die Hard.

It takes place while Christmas is happening in the background. There's no focus on it.

Is the Karate Kid a Halloween movie?

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It takes place while Christmas is happening in the background. There's no focus on it.

Is the Karate Kid a Halloween movie?

Is halloween a significant factor in the movie? No.

The entire setting of die hard is a christmas party on christmas eve.  If its setting was a halloween party on halloween night then it would be a halloween movies 

5 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Is halloween a significant factor in the movie? No.

The entire setting of die hard is a christmas party on christmas eve.  If its setting was a halloween party on halloween night then it would be a halloween movies 

But they dress up and there's a big Halloween party where Daniel is the true bully.

#Muricaparrotgang

It's the most Christmas'y movie I've ever seen, so hell to the yes! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

"Now i have a Maschine Gun - HO HO HO"

More Christmas isnt possible.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO