Are these SAT scores good enough?

Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk
1 hour ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

This is my first try and I barely studies, so I might be able to improve a bit, but I want to know if it's even worth doing.

sat.png

Lawls...... sat scores have nothing to do with overclocking and rgb.

That looks perfectly fine to me. Do you have a plan set in place for furthering your education? Consider reducing your student debt and start out at a community college, especially in your major is still undecided. You can transfer most of your credits, earn an associates, and move on to a better school for your bachelors. Some schools allow you to earn a masters in 5 years but you'll need to start and end your education at the same institution.  

I'd be tempted to ask why you are asking us if you are 99th percentile on both.  Unless you have extremely, ridiculously demanding parents its likely a fantastic score almost any parent would be proud of.  

That said you are close enough that if academics is something you kind of enjoy, or take pride in, you could go for a perfect score, i've known fairly normal people who acheived this so likely if this was your first attempt you have it in you. 

2 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Lawls...... sat scores have nothing to do with overclocking and rgb

That's why I'm on off topic, but I do dream of getting a nicer computer setup in the future. My current setup works for me, but leaves a little to be desired. Maybe my parents will let me get a job over the summer and save for some upgrades.

2 hours ago, Founders said:

That looks perfectly fine to me. Do you have a plan set in place for furthering your education? Consider reducing your student debt and start out at a community college, especially in your major is still undecided. You can transfer most of your credits, earn an associates, and move on to a better school for your bachelors. Some schools allow you to earn a masters in 5 years but you'll need to start and end your education at the same institution.  

The thing is it will get me into a lot of stuff, but it's not a 1600 and 8/8/8 and still slightly below average for some dream schools. Right now, I'm stuck between computer science and software engineering. I also have no idea what other things I want in a college other than pure academics and being at least a plane ride or long drive from home. Also, I don't know if I want bachelor's or masters. I don't think I have to worry about student debt too much because I have rich parents and can probably also get a lot of scholarships, but I'll still consider it as an option.

2 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

I'd be tempted to ask why you are asking us if you are 99th percentile on both.

Partly to flex, partly because I don't know if it covers the dream schools as well.

2 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

I hate SAT/ACT. Stressful tests in your life.

I actually enjoy taking tests. They just don't feel very hard for me, and I get the thrill of seeing a good score. I just hate the idea of having to pay a shit ton of money for a piece of paper that's scanned by a computer. I know that they also have to pay proctors and essay readers, but that's probably less than $5 per person if they pay them $15/hr, and I'd be willing to bet that they're minimum wage. I highly doubt that designing the questions costs $50 million per year ($25 out of the registration fee for 2 million students, yes I just made up the $25). I know fee waivers exist, but that means that they're still ripping off people who can "afford" to be ripped off.

50 minutes ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

That's why I'm on off topic, but I do dream of getting a nicer computer setup in the future. My current setup works for me, but leaves a little to be desired. Maybe my parents will let me get a job over the summer and save for some upgrades.

The thing is it will get me into a lot of stuff, but it's not a 1600 and 8/8/8 and still slightly below average for some dream schools. Right now, I'm stuck between computer science and software engineering. I also have no idea what other things I want in a college other than pure academics and being at least a plane ride or long drive from home. Also, I don't know if I want bachelor's or masters. I don't think I have to worry about student debt too much because I have rich parents and can probably also get a lot of scholarships, but I'll still consider it as an option.

Partly to flex, partly because I don't know if it covers the dream schools as well.

I actually enjoy taking tests. They just don't feel very hard for me, and I get the thrill of seeing a good score. I just hate the idea of having to pay a shit ton of money for a piece of paper that's scanned by a computer. I know that they also have to pay proctors and essay readers, but that's probably less than $5 per person if they pay them $15/hr, and I'd be willing to bet that they're minimum wage. I highly doubt that designing the questions costs $50 million per year ($25 out of the registration fee for 2 million students, yes I just made up the $25). I know fee waivers exist, but that means that they're still ripping off people who can "afford" to be ripped off.

Student debt can keep you from stepping to the next stage at life.  Make sure you choose a school you won't have to worry about funds. Go for scholarship. look for dorms (some are 4 room "apartments" now). Good cafeteria, local food,  mobility, etc. make sure moral is good. You want a cheap used car market.  Don't go to a technical college where junk is expensive. It just hurts you while you're there. Creating a hole.   Don't let a test convince you that real world anomalies don't exist.  The smartest scientist could get stranded on the desert for not topping off a radiator.  When you are at  a crossroads with yourself, ponder if future self would like it.

This is not a good forum for such questions. you need to ask on college confidential.

To be extra safe that you get an accurate answer, please format your question using the template below.

Spoiler

Hello, my name is <your name> from <your address>. I was wondering if I could get into any college in the entire universe with these *shitty* grades and these terrible credentials. Will someone please help me!? Here goes: 5.0 GPA (on 4.0 scale); 1600 SATs; participated in every club in my high school; Started 12 new clubs/became Club President of each respective one; was Valedictorian of my class; participated in Community Service; Volunteered all over the place; Held jobs at 8 different workplaces; Wrote an amazing College Application essay; Teachers wrote excellent recommendations about me/sent those to the colleges; participated as Captain of every available high school sport team; played 4 different instruments/played in Jazz Band/Orchestra/Marching Band/Symphony Band/Choir... Oh yeah, and my high school is ranked #1 in the entire country.... WHAT ARE MY CHANCES PEOPLE!?!? HELP ME!! I'm just so worried, and I probably won't even get into the nearby Community College!! HEEEEEELLLPPPP!!!!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

26 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Student debt can keep you from stepping to the next stage at life.  Make sure you choose a school you won't have to worry about funds. Go for scholarship. look for dorms (some are 4 room "apartments" now). Good cafeteria, local food,  mobility, etc. make sure moral is good. You want a cheap used car market.  Don't go to a technical college where junk is expensive. It just hurts you while you're there. Creating a hole.   Don't let a test convince you that real world anomalies don't exist.  The smartest scientist could get stranded on the desert for not topping off a radiator.  When you are at  a crossroads with yourself, ponder if future self would like it.

He said he has rich parents. In such cases, he should just pick whatever school feels like a best fit. Some school may be academically rigorous but seriously suck in terms of Greek Life and social scenes and the facility is downright atrocious. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

It all depends on where you want to go.  Some schools value the ACT more than the SAT.  They test somewhat different things.

Some people do much better on the SAT than the ACT though so it depends a lot on where your strengths lie.

I would personally say school facilities and Greek life are the least important things at a school.  My dad was a college professor for a long time and he said he observed car ownership dropped gpa by around a full point for many students because it made them able to spend more time on stuff other than school. College is wildly expensive.  It used to be the conventional wisdom that one ignored the cost and got into the most prestigious school possible and worried about how it would be paid for later.  These days the costs are so very vey high that this may be a recipe for lifelong debt.

its now more of a question of what can be afforded.  School cost plays a big role now.  The prestige of a school and how well you do there often plays a big role in what level you enter the workforce at.  It becomes less important as you advance.  If the school is not prestigious it can matter only for the first job after college.  Only the most prestigious schools offer much name recognition after that.  College and the grades you get there are used as a measurement of what sort of weeding process was done to determine your ability and how diligent you are.  If you apply to a school and fail to get in it is not recorded though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Your scores are great and you should be proud of them. They will get you accepted at almost any school you apply, but you are correct they are not perfect and will not get you accepted at the most competitive schools. But neither will a perfect score. You've achieved a highly satisfactory score which will check the box on an admission committee's list, now focus on other things. How will you make yourself standout from the crowd? Work on extracurricular achievements, writing good entrance essays, and building relationships with your teachers to get good letters of recommendation. Those are the things that get you into the most competitive schools, not test scores.

Less than perfect? 

Unacceptable. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Less than perfect? 

Unacceptable. 

There is an argument that less than perfect test scores are sometimes better than perfect test scores.  The SAT is an older test though and doesn’t cover a lot of things the ACT does.  Some schools won’t accept the SAT. Or didn’t many years ago.  This may have changed.  It depends on the school and what they are doing in a particular year.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I Keep thinking about that dumb shit brat Daniel Eaton aka paps223 who's mom paid to top get him good homeschool grades. I wonder if he still gets a dell prebuilt every year.

Life is about what you do yourself. Not what mom and dad want, and do for you.

If you're really smart you'd find a way to make the gov pay you off for life before you're too old to enjoy yourself.. Instead of flexing keyboard nuts on a forum only linus and his rgb crew hang out on. I would have liked to, but I didn't have to finish my air force degree.  They pay me to stay home.

School is nice,  but don't forget the guy that made half-life dropped out of Harvard. Abraham Lincoln apparently taught himself to read, and invented a wood mallet that cannot lose its head. that we don't even use anymore. Thomas Edison ripped off everybody and America still thinks he invented electricity.

But keep testing well im sure synthetic benchmarks are everything in a world that judges dick size off the price and ability to fix your own car. If you think I'm full of it.  Think about how cardi B and post malone are a few in control of consumerism as we speak. There's enough morons to vote in trump. Anyone for microtransactions?

15 hours ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

This is my first try and I barely studies, so I might be able to improve a bit, but I want to know if it's even worth doing.

sat.png

Well I am starting to believe these might not be yours. If you are smart enough to score in the 99th percentile, yet need to come ask us if that is good or not.... ya doesn't speak much to your intelligence.

10 hours ago, wasab said:

Greek Life

I have a vague idea of what that is, but why exactly do I want that?

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Some schools value the ACT more than the SAT.

Aren't they supposed to be equal?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There is an argument that less than perfect test scores are sometimes better than perfect test scores.

Why exactly is that, and what is the threshold where that effect starts happening?

6 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

I wonder if he still gets a dell prebuilt every year.

Why would you buy a whole new computer every year? I'm on an almost decade-old laptop that serves me perfectly fine.

half-life

Aren't video games and RGB examples of that consumerism you complained about?

cardi B and post malone

Their music sucks, and I don't know about Post Malone, but Cardi B is a bad person outside of her music career. And I bet that neither of them actually write or perform their crappy music anyways and just have child slaves with guns to their heads mass producing it. Why would anyone care about them?

9 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

There's enough morons to vote in trump.

Hillary Clinton won popular vote. It's that stupid corrupt Electoral College system that got Trump in.

11 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Anyone for microtransactions?

People actually pay those?

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Well I am starting to believe these might not be yours.

They are.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

yet need to come ask us if that is good or not

I know that they are good, but I'm wondering if they are good enough to get me into the top schools.

3 minutes ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

I have a vague idea of what that is, but why exactly do I want that?

Aren't they supposed to be equal?

Why exactly is that, and what is the threshold where that effect starts happening

Re: vague idea

Greek life refers to fraternities.  Different colleges have different fraternities.  Sometimes vastly different.  At The one I went to one fraternity was actually a monastic order.  There was another concerned exclusively with playing rugby.  They will vary vastly by individual college.

Some consider fraternities to be useful for later life networking.  Once upon a time long ago they were also a way to save money on housing.  I did not join one.

Re: equality

My knowledge of SAT vs ACT is quite out of date.  When I took it the SAT was an older test and dealt mostly with vocabulary and math.  Things like punctuation and sentance structure were not included.  This may have changed drastically.  Different colleges will view the tests differently.  Target which schools you want to attend and find out what they want in an applicant, then mold yourself to be that applicant.  The requirements of different schools will differ.  Back when I was looking some schools wouldn’t even look at an SATs and were interested only in ACTs.  That was a long time ago though.

re: the rest

@Animal901 likes to make trouble. Very talented at it.

1 hour ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

I know that they are good, but I'm wondering if they are good enough to get me into the top schools.

Colleges judge applicants holistically, not just off test scores. Your GPAs and ECs also contribute as much if not more weight to your application. For top schools, all of these need to be stellar. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

27 minutes ago, wasab said:

Colleges judge applicants holistically, not just off test scores. Your GPAs and ECs also contribute as much if not more weight to your application. For top schools, all of these need to be stellar. 

It depends on the definition of top school.  Some top schools have programs that are easier or harder to get into.  The basic of all of this is that while there a SOME generalities, the bar for acceptance varies by individual institution as much as the prestige of that school in a particular program, and you need to choose and target particular institutions based on criteria appropriate for YOU.   The more focused your future plans the more focused your scope can be.

school application is to some degree a competition between the acceptance board and the applying student.  The school wants to choose the most capable students it can get to fill its rolls, and the student wants the greatest gain from the degree and experiences they wind up with.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It depends on the definition of top school.  Some top schools have programs that are easier or harder to get into.  The basic of all of this is that while there a SOME generalities, the bar for acceptance varies by individual institution as much as the prestige of that school in a particular program.

Very true. Average SAT scores for admission into college of arts and sciences at my school is only 1300ish, average GPA is 3.7.

However, average SAT for direct admission into college of engineering and applied sciences is 1500ish and a GPA of 3.9. My school still accepts students with sub-average stats into school of engineering and applied sciences but place them into pre-major in which they need to spend one year taking entry level classes  related to their major before accepting/rejecting them into the major based on their performance. I believe all schools with reputable and high demand program does that in which college admission does not automatically mean you get accepted into major/program you want. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

18 hours ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

but I want to know if it's even worth doing.

no its not worth doing

you can do much better without it, plus the amount of money you save over the course of 3 or 4 yrs is astronomical plus you are those many yrs ahead in yearly top income.

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Your GPAs and ECs also contribute as much if not more weight to your application. For top schools, all of these need to be stellar. 

Yeah, I think these are covered too.

5 minutes ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

Yeah, I think these are covered too.

Post your stats on college confidential then. Go to its ivy league section in which plenty of elitists current students or alumni will tell you if you have a shot or you are being simply unrealistic. 

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ivy-league/

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

no its not worth doing

you can do much better without it, plus the amount of money you save over the course of 3 or 4 yrs is astronomical plus you are those many yrs ahead in yearly top income.

There are two schools of thought on this one:

1: it’s totally and absolutely worth doing always.

the logic behind this one is a lot of education that allows a person to understand how society actually works is no longer taught in high school.  Education is something that no one can ever take away from you either.  It’s yours forever.  It also provides a wide and stable base from which to choose another job.  A degree means you can read and write and think and meet a deadline, and do all of those things pretty well.  It can mean other things as well, but all of them do that.

2: It’s barely worth doing at all.

It does not actually guarantee you a better job or a higher place in society.  It’s wildly expensive.  It takes time that could be spent getting experienced in your field of choice.  

You may wind up with a better paying job but the loans are so pricey it doesn’t matter.
This is particularly true of not-translatable-to-the-workplace degrees like medieval studies for example.  No one will stop you from taking a degree that is hard to translate into a job.

My personal attitude?  DO IT!  but do it really hard.  College is billed as a time to screw about and get drunk and play sex games.  These are not the things college is actually for.  College is your last shot at prepping yourself for grownup life from a protected position.  Because when it’s over: boom! There is adult life.