New foldable samsung

i liked the razer phone , so obviously, I'm cool with this.

Details separate people.

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean are you pointing out the similarities in PPI to show that 720p isn't that bad of a resolution or that the screen is expensive to make? At the view distance for a phone the PPI is going to look worse than an 8k monitor at a distance for obvious reasons. As for price there are plenty of phones with 720p screens for significantly less as well as phones with better screens for the same price as the iPhone. I mean I bought my phone new for less than 300 dollars and it came with a 1080p screen so I fail to see how hard it could be to do the same or better for a phone that is multiple times more expensive. 

1595290833_Screenshot(247).thumb.png.15d89634159413d4dfaf9872737e4d40.png

as you can see, the viewing distance is about 11 inches, meaning that the 1 / 2 / 10 thing that Bilton proposed falls within this (note: this isnt in inches, its in feet) so the distance is about perfect, also you have some marketing words from stevie if you wanna read it too as it does touch

Also yeah i was pointing out that 720p wasnt bad for this size of a phone. though yes, i can mostly agree with you that the base 11 is pretty expensive. Though most of it is most likely the performance you get from the chip  

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

as you can see, the viewing distance is about 11 inches, meaning that the 1 / 2 / 10 thing that Bilton proposed falls within this (note: this isnt in inches, its in feet) so the distance is about perfect, also you have some marketing words from stevie if you wanna read it too as it does touch

Also yeah i was pointing out that 720p wasnt bad for this size of a phone. though yes, i can mostly agree with you that the base 11 is pretty expensive. Though most of it is most likely the performance you get from the chip  

There is a difference between distinguishing pixels and picture quality. Just because I can't see the individual pixels at a normal viewing distance does not mean it is a high quality display. Also again 1080p screens can be found on a sub 300 dollar phone so there is 0 excuse as to why they would cheap out on the display as it clearly isn't all that expensive to get higher resolution screens. 

10 hours ago, snowbeast said:

i get that they're trying to be trendy but i don't see how apple plays into this, imo Iphones are really bad now just the big notch the 720p screens on some models. Sheep will still buy them but I don't see apple as a trendsetter anymore. The part about the headphone jack i get i was fortunate enough when i bought my huawei p20 lite over a year ago it had a headphone jack and you were able to get free bluetooth headphones which is really nice now that i have a oneplus 7. I still miss my headphone jack too but you don't find a lot of good phones with them imo.

Because apple has a massive fanbase, It pretty much forces others into their way of doing stuff, headphone jack, notch etc

12 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

ok maybe the 11 is a bit expensive but i see you keep complaining about the 720p screen

Top: 8K screen at 27 inches | Bottom: Iphone XR screen (im sure they have the same screen)234407421_Screenshot(246).thumb.png.073fbd0a0e9e9279ac44843fe2acae61.png

The PPI on these are very similar as you should be able to see

And you can't see above 3fps. ?‍♂️

14 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Marketing anti-aliasing as retina was another great thing old steve did. Take a galaxy s6 and and iphone xr and open a text document, the difference is staggering. On s6, with a smaller screen, its no problem reading an a4 size text document unzoomed, on the xr though not so much

What makes you think they're not improving the original Fold? Samsung has always made a phone of nearly every form factor to see how well it sells. This is just them following their tried and true business model. If this sells significantly better than the other Fold after a generation or two of them selling side by side, they'll axe the one that people don't like. If you look at the folded size, it looks pretty small. So I don't think it's anything insane.

5 hours ago, GenericFanboy said:

Honestly, samsung has gone from being a highly functional phone to just being trendy. Sure its still 1 of the most functional brands. But its just so.. Annoying how they constantly are changing to be more modern with apple and whatnot. When they removed the headphone jack it was just the end for me with samsung. 

Samsung makes a huge selection of phones...so that statement really makes little sense. They've always made a wide selection of devices, and they've always made almost one of every device just to see what sells best; that's how the Note series became so popular.

5 hours ago, Ecchi said:

Folding phones are stupid. I fail to see how they'd be useful?

Fitting a larger screen into a smaller package. I'd have thought that was obvious.

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

eeehh i was about to say that the screen dimensions isn't worth folding for, untill i remembered that motorola's comeback phone would be the same and I'd be painting it with that same brush

... i'll take back my curiosities for the motorola razr phone now ._. I'd prefer if a tablet could fold, rather than that of a phone.

I think it depends on the person. Some people just want something to fit into a smaller space, and a phone like this fits that bill perfectly.

It's not what I'd want for a folder either, but I can see why others would.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

first adopters make up a portion of sales

plus the research going into the development would be interesting and to see it implemented in other phones and the cost-analysis and built-in failure rate aspects is a world of interesting matter

On 12/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, TheUberMedic said:

Give me a regular phone that can fold out to tablet sizes, not this nonsense. That makes more sense than this.

That's your preference, others may have differing preferences. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how this form factor develops. So why not both? 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, Blademaster91 said:

The new Razr is better designed than this Samsung foldable phone, but the future of phones? Sure if you like paying over $1,500 for a phone you can't put in a case. I'll stick to a glass rectangle that still has a headphone jack.

Just like good old flip phones are still available, you'll be able to hold on to what every flavored phone works for you. 

On 12/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I mean I know plenty of women who have a hard time fitting their phone in their pocket because apparently most of their clothes are made with ridiculously small pockets so maybe it would allow for them to fit their phones in said small pockets? That being said most of them just put their phone in their purse so idk how useful that would be. 

Sometimes they don't have pockets at all. Some of us men prefer a smaller phone to avoid a giant metal and glass appendage from being in our pockets. ?

On 12/20/2019 at 4:28 AM, GenericFanboy said:

Because apple has a massive fanbase, It pretty much forces others into their way of doing stuff, headphone jack, notch etc

Apple doesn't force other companies into anything. If a company sees something that works from a financial perspective they choose to follow suit. 

2 minutes ago, Founders said:

Some of us men prefer a smaller phone to avoid a giant metal and glass appendage from being in our pockets.

hey whatever extra buldge downt here you can get, is always better when it comes to appealing to the ladies.

a foldable, flexible phone is of no use

IMO the Galaxy S9+ was their last best phone, I don't think they realize that having a reasonably sized bezel is okay. I would rather have the bezel of the S9+ than a notch or hole.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

23 minutes ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

IMO the Galaxy S9+ was their last best phone, I don't think they realize that having a reasonably sized bezel is okay. I would rather have the bezel of the S9+ than a notch or hole.

still far too expensive in my books

I would want a tablet that can fold out to a full size monitor, that would be amazing for content production.

$2,000+ phone and just 1 OS update, that is if Samsung decided to support it. it's not just them, almost all Android phones are like that. The only major change is just the CPU with a slight increase clock speed, but that isn't a excuse to prevent users from getting OS upgrades and security updates. Imagine Windows started doing the same thing, a Ryzen 5 3600x at 3.8GHz can only support Win10 build 1809 and 1909, anything after that requires a new CPU like Ryzen 5 4600X at 3.9GHz. Why can't a 3.8GHz CPU get updates after build 1909, it still got the same bells and whistles like the newer CPU, just 100MHz slower, why can't it upgrade to anything beyond build 1909, that's some BS!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 12/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, GenericFanboy said:

Honestly, samsung has gone from being a highly functional phone to just being trendy. Sure its still 1 of the most functional brands. But its just so.. Annoying how they constantly are changing to be more modern with apple and whatnot. When they removed the headphone jack it was just the end for me with samsung. 

What are you on about? Why are you generalizing an entire brand when they have such a diverse portfolio of products?

What do you mean they are "constantly changing to be more modern with Apple"? Are you saying Samsung is trying to be like Apple and that's bad? If that's what you are saying then you should be happy they are trying new things like this folding phone.

And they haven't really removed the headphone jack. This year Samsung released 38 phones. 28 of those has a headphone jack, and that includes their flagship S10 series. So if we are making generalizations about Samsung then no, they have not removed the headphone jack. The vast majority of their phones has it.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, Ecchi said:

It allows for a larger screen in a smaller footprint when folded. Surely you can't be serious when you say you don't understand how that'd be useful.

It's a pretty obvious benefit.

On 12/19/2019 at 11:54 PM, Blademaster91 said:

The new Razr is better designed than this Samsung foldable phone, but the future of phones? Sure if you like paying over $1,500 for a phone you can't put in a case. I'll stick to a glass rectangle that still has a headphone jack.

People said the same thing about smartphones in general.

"I won't pay more than 100 dollars for a phone!".

-Person in 2009

"Who needs a computer? They are way too expensive".

-Person in 1999

"I don't want a folding phone. They are too expensive"

-Blademaster91 in 2019

Folding phones won't stay at 1500 forever. They will come down in price just like all new technology eventually does.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

$2,000+ phone and just 1 OS update, that is if Samsung decided to support it. it's not just them, almost all Android phones are like that. The only major change is just the CPU with a slight increase clock speed, but that isn't a excuse to prevent users from getting OS upgrades and security updates. Imagine Windows started doing the same thing, a Ryzen 5 3600x at 3.8GHz can only support Win10 build 1809 and 1909, anything after that requires a new CPU like Ryzen 5 4600X at 3.9GHz. Why can't a 3.8GHz CPU get updates after build 1909, it still got the same bells and whistles like the newer CPU, just 100MHz slower, why can't it upgrade to anything beyond build 1909, that's some BS!

Samsung releases 2 major OS updates to their phones, and monthly security updates for 3 years. At least on their S and Note series.

I'd say that's sufficient. After 3 years it's about time to upgrade anyway.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

no way! not time at all, what a waste of money!

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Samsung releases 2 major OS updates to their phones, and monthly security updates for 3 years. At least on their S and Note series.

$1,000+ for the lifespan of 3 years, that's way too short.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What are you on about? Why are you generalizing an entire brand when they have such a diverse portfolio of products?

What do you mean they are "constantly changing to be more modern with Apple"? Are you saying Samsung is trying to be like Apple and that's bad? If that's what you are saying then you should be happy they are trying new things like this folding phone.

And they haven't really removed the headphone jack. This year Samsung released 38 phones. 28 of those has a headphone jack, and that includes their flagship S10 series. So if we are making generalizations about Samsung then no, they have not removed the headphone jack. The vast majority of their phones has it.

It allows for a larger screen in a smaller footprint when folded. Surely you can't be serious when you say you don't understand how that'd be useful.

It's a pretty obvious benefit.

People said the same thing about smartphones in general.

"I won't pay more than 100 dollars for a phone!".

-Person in 2009

"Who needs a computer? They are way too expensive".

-Person in 1999

-Blademaster91 in 2019

Folding phones won't stay at 1500 forever. They will come down in price just like all new technology eventually does.

*looks sadly at his iPhone 7 still going strong*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I'm well aware that they dont copy apple in everything. But its definitly noticeable that they're taking after apple's design and choices. 

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

$1,000+ for the lifespan of 3 years, that's way too short.

I like how you went from "Samsung makes 2000 dollar phones that only gets 1 OS update!" to "1000+ phones gets updates for 3 years but I still think it's too short".

You halved the cost and tripled the support time from your original statement.

I think 3 years of support is decent. I don't think it's good but it's among the best you can get with Android phones. We will hopefully get even longer support now that Google is making changes to how the system APIs are distributed.

If you think 3 years of support is too short for such an expensive phone then get a cheaper one. I wouldn't be surprised if a new midrange phone is better than a 3 year old flagship phone.

29 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

I'm well aware that they dont copy apple in everything. But its definitly noticeable that they're taking after apple's design and choices. 

Got any examples?

I think Samsung's phones are more different than iPhones than ever. I mean, you are literally making this comment in a thread about folding phones, something Apple has not attempted yet. How can Samsung be more different than Apple than that?

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Got any examples?

I think Samsung's phones are more different than iPhones than ever. I mean, you are literally making this comment in a thread about folding phones, something Apple has not attempted yet. How can Samsung be more different than Apple than that?

the headphone jack is really just a big example. When they removed it from the note 10 i was already dissapointed. There was plenty of space and no reason to do it. I thought they'd do it once and then never again. But they're still going to. Sure a folding phone is unique. But i'm talking in general. They had no reason to remove the headphone jack. 

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

-Blademaster91 in 2019

No, I personally don't want a folding phone, because the glass sandwich phones are already fragile enough, adding a hinge is adding another point of ingress for dirt or moisture. A manufacturer would also need to come up with a way for glass to bend the same way as the plastic screens used in the Samsung Fold, which is so delicate a fingernail can damage the screen.

Except flagship phones have only been getting more expensive, phone manufacturers want to capitalize on everything as Samsung and Motorola have with higher prices on folding phones.

1 hour ago, GenericFanboy said:

the headphone jack is really just a big example. When they removed it from the note 10 i was already dissapointed. There was plenty of space and no reason to do it. I thought they'd do it once and then never again. But they're still going to. Sure a folding phone is unique. But i'm talking in general. They had no reason to remove the headphone jack. 

Again, the vast majority of Samsung phones released this year have a headphone jack. 28 out of 38 phones released by Samsung this year has a headphone jack.

What do you mean by "I thought they'd do it once and never again, but they're still going to"? If we're talking about Samsung as a whole then they have released a few phones without a headphone jack but not that many. If we're talking about the high end specifically then they have just done it once (Note 10). The regular S model still has a headphone jack, and the next version isn't out yet so we don't know if that will have it or not.

I don't think you are talking about Samsung "in general". I think you are referring to very specific things such as the Note 10 not having a headphone jack, and then make inaccurate generalizations about Samsung as a whole from that.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

No, I personally don't want a folding phone, because the glass sandwich phones are already fragile enough, adding a hinge is adding another point of ingress for dirt or moisture. A manufacturer would also need to come up with a way for glass to bend the same way as the plastic screens used in the Samsung Fold, which is so delicate a fingernail can damage the screen.

Except flagship phones have only been getting more expensive, phone manufacturers want to capitalize on everything as Samsung and Motorola have with higher prices on folding phones.

Well how about we wait more than a single generation before talking about how bad the designs are? I think you're a bit too quick to dismiss it as a bad idea.

Same goes for price really. Sure they are expensive right now, but it's kind of hard to judge prices when there are only like 4 models of folding phones out there. Do you honestly think the cheapest folding phone will be 1500 dollars in 5-10 years? I don't think so.

And sure, flagships have gotten more expensive, but who says you have to buy a flagship phone? Like I said earlier, get a midrange phone if you think the flagship phones are too expensive.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

There was a time when flat phones also had only plastic screens.  Screen protector sheets were considered something of a necessity.  They worked pretty well.  If a folding phone can’t handle screen protectors I would avoid buying one myself.  I’m more worried about this claimed 3 year lifespan.  Seems short to me.  Pretty high depreciation.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, Ecchi said:

Well,  for the same reasons normal smartphones are useful, but with foldables you could make them a bit smaller (while folded) have info showing on the outside (I really miss this feature from the early 2000s...) *and* have your main screen naturally protected(while folded) 

Also you get to pull a Captain Kirk whenever you use it so that's another plus! :)

personally I don't like big phones at all,  so I for one welcome it whenever a manufacturer comes to their senses, seemingly   ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity