Intel to offer Haswell CPU in 2020

Đỗ Đức Huy

Source: Intel

Intel is to cancel the EOL (end of life) status for the Pentium G3420, a dual core, dual threads Haswell based LGA 1150 socketed CPU that was initially  launched in Q3 2013 (6 years ago). 
Interested customers can order the CPU from Intel from now to May 2020 when the last non-cancelable orders can be placed, with last shipments expected in December 2020.

OP opinions on this: Intel pretty much screwed the pooch here. First they have the 14nM shortage. They started to move some of their chipset production back to 22nM and now, re-releasing a 22nM cpu from 2013 to alleviate the shortage!? This is nuts! Anecdotally, as the OP is a sile owner-operator of a computer repair- trading shop, OP have heard of long RMA time and outright un-availability of replacement CPUs. People when their CPUs died got offered refunds instead of replacement CPUs. Yet, the price for new CPUs from both AMD and Intel keeps falling through the floor. Same with SSD and RAM prices in Vietnam.

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

Long live Haswell.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, yaboistar said:

>typing this on a 4790k

haswell was great, i missed it

It was a decent platform, everything just worked with all the latest features back then fully working.

Pcie 3.0, all Sata 3 ports, USB 3.0 ports on most motherboard. Decent platform, CPU is more of a side-grade from Ivy Bridge. Not as fun to OC like Sandy though. Most 2600K can do 5.0GHz with about 1.48V Vcore given you have decent cooling. Try that with a 4790K, I dare you.

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

Intel's 80186 and 80386 were available well into the mid 2000s because they were used in embedded systems. I think the 386 lasted longer.

But I think the sticking point is this: Intel will only make them if you want them.

1 minute ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

It was a decent platform, everything just worked with all the latest features back then fully working.

Pcie 3.0, all Sata 3 ports, USB 3.0 ports on most motherboard. Decent platform, CPU is more of a side-grade from Ivy Bridge. Not as fun to OC like Sandy though. Most 2600K can do 5.0GHz with about 1.48V Vcore given you have decent cooling. Try that with a 4790K, I dare you.

Lol try that with a ivy bridge CPU. My 3570K does 4.5Ghz with 1.42v.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Haswell is best architecture.

Sure, I'll upgrade from my 4790k next summer, but I:m not getting rid of it lol

As much as I find it hiiilaaarious that my cpu goes for the shape price it did NEW at launch (more or less lol)

These will be def cheaper and still very good.

So like, why not 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Lol try that with a ivy bridge CPU. My 3570K does 4.5Ghz with 1.42v.

Well, sold my Z77 WS board with a delided 3770K. Not sure how golden that chip was, never had the time to mess with it too much. Tempted to do a direct die custom water cooling loop to see how far I can go. But then the gear are old and I have a shop to run lol

Just now, pas008 said:

how is this bad?

The G3420 used to be EOL, but now Intel have bring it back from the dead. That’s bad, since the chip aimed at substituting Pentium Gold at the bottom of the barrel of the product stack. The newer Pentium are  taking up precious 14nM capacity for much higher performance core series CPU.
This is the reasoning behind why Intel introduced the H310C chipset to replace the H310. The regular H310 is of a low end sku, yet taking up premium 14nM space. You know the shortage must be bad when they drag a 6 years old cpu out of retirement to fill out orders.

1 minute ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

The G3420 used to be EOL, but now Intel have bring it back from the dead. That’s bad, since the chip aimed at substituting Pentium Gold at the bottom of the barrel of the product stack. The newer Pentium are  taking up precious 14nM capacity for much higher performance core series CPU.
This is the reasoning behind why Intel introduced the H310C chipset to replace the H310. The regular H310 is of a low end sku, yet taking up premium 14nM space. You know the shortage must be bad when they drag a 6 years old cpu out of retirement to fill out orders.

how is this bad for consumers really

nothing you said is bad in my eyes

13 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Intel's 80186 and 80386 were available well into the mid 2000s because they were used in embedded systems. I think the 386 lasted longer.

But I think the sticking point is this: Intel will only make them if you want them.

I think Intel is doing this to ration 14nM capacity for higher end sku. Bottom of the barrel 8-9th gen Pentium or Celeron are not that much more capable than the older Pentium and I3 of yester years. And Intel did make the switch for H310 to H310C to shift chipset use from 14nM to 22nM last year. 
Low end sku get the axe from latest tech first it seemed

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

how is this bad for consumers really

nothing you said is bad in my eyes

It is not bad for consumers, it is showing Intel in a bad strategic position right now. Can’t keep up with demand, tough competition from AMD and delays in 10nM... 

Just now, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

I think Intel is doing this to ration 14nM capacity for higher end sku. Bottom of the barrel 8-9th gen Pentium or Celeron are not that much more capable than the older Pentium and I3 of yester years. And Intel did make the switch for H310 to H310C to shift chipset use from 14nM to 22nM last year. 
Low end sku get the axe from latest tech first it seemed

If you're implying Intel is going to go back to Haswell for future Pentium or Celerons, I don't really think that's going to be the case.

Me, still on 22nm anyways:

?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you're implying Intel is going to go back to Haswell for future Pentium or Celerons, I don't really think that's going to be the case.

I’m not, I think this is more of a fire fighting measures right now to alleviate the supply issue that have been going on for close to two years now. I don’t think Intel will want to do this going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

It is not bad for consumers, it is showing Intel in a bad strategic position right now. Can’t keep up with demand, tough competition from AMD and delays in 10nM... 

how is it bad to use a 22nm fab facility for whats it intended for?

chipsets are there

and what does node really matter in this area of performance

24 minutes ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

2600K can do 5.0GHz with about 1.48V Vcore given you have decent cooling. Try that with a 4790K, I dare you.

1.41V 4.6GHz on i7 4770k on air cooling (delided) around 83*C. Unfortunately I lost silicon lottery with that one (I don't have it anymore). Could go higher on voltage but 4.7GHz was never stable.

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I don't see why not, if they can't expand 14nm, or get 10/7nm running, but they can run 22nm. It's not like Broadwell and the various Skylake derivatives are that much better than Haswell, clock for clock and core for core.

And for the bulk of the market going for low end processors like Pentium or Celeron isn't going to really care (or know) about things like lithography.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

I’m not, I think this is more of a fire fighting measures right now to alleviate the supply issue that have been going on for close to two years now. I don’t think Intel will want to do this going forward. 

Then I don't understand how your reasoning makes sense.

I'm pretty certain Intel is just offering system builders and other people who use Haswell for some reason or another a last chance to order batches for replacements or whatnot, then they'll just shelve it up and you can no longer buy Haswell. If anything, that'll mean their 22nm fabs can shift to something else. And it looks like two of their main fabs still produce 22nm parts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants)

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

And for the bulk of the market going for low end processors like Pentium or Celeron isn't going to really care (or know) about things like lithography.

It's not a matter of what process size the nodes use, it's a matter of features. A future Pentium or Celeron with missing features, whatever those may be, isn't going to sit will with some people.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's not a matter of what process size the nodes use, it's a matter of features. A future Pentium or Celeron with missing features, whatever those may be, isn't going to sit will with some people.

IIRC, Pentium and Celeron processors have been feature stripped processors for a long time. But again, I don't think the market that really goes for these knows or cares about that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Then I don't understand how your reasoning makes sense.

I'm pretty certain Intel is just offering system builders and other people who use Haswell for some reason or another a last chance to order batches for replacements or whatnot, then they'll just shelve it up and you can no longer buy Haswell. If anything, that'll mean their 22nm fabs can shift to something else. And it looks like two of their main fabs still produce 22nm parts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants)

The main reason why the silicon industry moves to a new node is to capture the density (which mean more chip per fixed wafer size which mean less cost) and performance benefits baked into the new nodes. 
this ending of end of life status thing seemed like Intel is restarting production of 22nM cpu, which means the fabs were making something else before switching back to cpu again. It doesn’t look well when you are supposed to be on the bleeding edge of technology yet you have to drag a low end parts introduced 6 years ago out of retirement during a 2 years long product shortage. 

Tbh that's fine, users that give a damn to a low power dual core like this probably won't mind if they get an older chip for cheaper. It does mean DDR3 memory and H81 boards will cost a bit more on the used market for a short period of time though

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

38 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Lets be clear though, the 80386s Intel were producing in 2007 were not the same as the first batch in 1985. They were 100% instruction compatible but much faster, IIRC the fastest variant was clocked at 33Mhz.

Still technically you're correct and as we all know, technically is the best kind of correct :D

EDIT - Its actually kind of crazy, if you think about it, that Intel spent money on time & resources to improve a design based on a 20 year old process. I guess it shows how many of them Intel must have still been selling.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)