Buyers of the LTT water bottle, do you regret it?

GetacFanboy

I'm considering getting the water bottle from the LTT store but I'm hesitant after reading this thread:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1056510-regarding-the-ltt-water-bottle/

Some people claim it drips and others say it smells / taste like cancer, however the cancer claim was disputed by linus and many say it goes away after washing thoroughly. 

My question to you wonderful forum users that have purchased it, do these claims hold water and should I buy this water bottle? I'm willing to pay a premium to support LTT but I want to know I'm getting a good product too, this isn't a donation. 

9 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

I'm considering getting the water bottle from the LTT store but I'm hesitant after reading this thread:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1056510-regarding-the-ltt-water-bottle/

Some people claim it drips and others say it smells / taste like cancer, however the cancer claim was disputed by linus and many say it goes away after washing thoroughly. 

My question to you wonderful forum users that have purchased it, do these claims hold water and should I buy this water bottle? I'm willing to pay a premium to support LTT but I want to know I'm getting a good product too, this isn't a donation. 

11 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

do these claims hold water

I see what you did there. ;) All new water bottles have a manufacturer smell / taste for some time period... that's how manufacturing works, similar to a new car smell, or the smell of burning plastic for the first 100 hours of running a new PSU. (something something if the burning plastic smell from your PSU doesn't go away, get the fire extinguisher.)

I suspect the real issue is that many people who've bought the water bottle have maybe never bought such an item on their own before, so they don't realize it needs to be washed... multiple times... before it's "clean" tasting? Not trying to stereotype or judge LTT viewers here - merely pointing out that anyone who's bought a beverage container previously should have experienced an off-taste prior to washing it a few times at least once before.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I got my LTT bottle about two weeks ago, and hey its fine. I've own several vacuum insulated bottles (mostly Hydro Flasks) and this one is stacks up very well to them. 

water stays cold for hours. Last night i filled it up at my local movie theater (with ice) sipped from it a few times and left it in my all black interior car for the following work day. It got as hot as 70 here locally during the afternoon. Popped it open, it's still has ice cubes in it. It's a very well made bottle and it holds its temperatures.

In terms of keeping it clean, get your self a bottle brush. First thing you do when you get it, Boiling hot water and dish soap, Scrub all of that in and super clean it. Water will taste fine. Clean it when you start noticing yellowish stains inside. 

3 minutes ago, Lukin762 said:

I got my LTT bottle about two weeks ago, and hey its fine. I've own several vacuum insulated bottles (mostly Hydro Flasks) and this one is stacks up very well to them. 

water stays cold for hours. Last night i filled it up at my local movie theater (with ice) sipped from it a few times and left it in my all black interior car for the following work day. It got as hot as 70 here locally during the afternoon. Popped it open, it's still has ice cubes in it. It's a very well made bottle and it holds its temperatures.

In terms of keeping it clean, get your self a bottle brush. First thing you do when you get it, Boiling hot water and dish soap, Scrub all of that in and super clean it. Water will taste fine. Clean it when you start noticing yellowish stains inside. 

Perfect, thank you for the response! I forgot to ask these questions in the original post, so sorry for bothering you but:

1) Did you go with the original or stealth, and do you get questions like "What's Linus Tech Tips" in public? Do people think of you as nerdy that otherwise may not have known you were a tech enthusiast? 

2) Are you a heavy water drinker? Do you find that it holds enough water to last the whole day? I noticed a discrepancy between people claiming it's 18oz and 21 fluid ounces. Do you know which one is accurate? 

I see what you did there. ;)

;) 

All new water bottles have a manufacturer smell / taste for some time period... that's how manufacturing works, similar to a new car smell, or the smell of burning plastic for the first 100 hours of running a new PSU.

But the new car smell is a good smell, and I've never noticed that with a power supply. What power supplies are you buying?

I suspect the real issue is that many people who've bought the water bottle have maybe never bought such an item on their own before, so they don't realize it needs to be washed... multiple times... before it's "clean" tasting? Not trying to stereotype or judge LTT viewers here - merely pointing out that anyone who's bought a beverage container previously should have experienced an off-taste prior to washing it a few times at least once before.

I've bought a few before for football back in high school. I obviously washed them but I never realized that if you didn't they would smell "cancerous", I just thought it was because of germs from shipping or some shit, I never really thought of what would happen if you didn't before today. 

Didn't realize that was a common thing for all water bottles that aren't washed. 

Why don't manufacturers wash them before they ship them though? 

Just now, GetacFanboy said:

Perfect, thank you for the response! I forgot to ask these questions in the original post, so sorry for bothering you but:

1) Did you go with the original or stealth, and do you get questions like "What's Linus Tech Tips" in public? Do people think of you as nerdy that otherwise may not have known you were a tech enthusiast? 

2) Are you a heavy water drinker? Do you find that it holds enough water to last the whole day? I noticed a discrepancy between people claiming it's 18oz and 21 fluid ounces. Do you know which one is accurate? 

;) 

But the new car smell is a good smell, and I've never noticed that with a power supply. What power supplies are you buying?

I've bought a few before for football back in high school. I obviously washed them but I never realized that if you didn't they would smell "cancerous", I just thought it was because of germs from shipping or some shit, I never really thought of what would happen if you didn't before today. 

Didn't realize that was a common thing for all water bottles that aren't washed. 

Why don't manufacturers wash them before they ship them though? 

It's not enough water for a whole day. It's more "outing-sized"

We'll do a bigger one eventually, but personally I don't find there's a one-size-fits-all water bottle size so I plan to just use both sizes regularly once we get that sorted. Sometimes I don't feel like lugging around a huge thing.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We'll do a bigger one eventually, but personally I don't find there's a one-size-fits-all water bottle size so I plan to just use both sizes regularly once we get that sorted. Sometimes I don't feel like lugging around a huge thing.

There's a market for bigger water bottles Mr.Linus! If you just look at college campuses (at least here in the U.S) there's a bunch of people rocking 32oz to 40oz insulated bottles. You're right, there is no "one size fits all" but having several options for different people and their daily needs would be a great addition to your series of water bottles. Flexibility! 

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Holly shit I just got a reply from Linus ?

Yeah honestly refilling a few times probably isn't a big deal for me. I currently go to school in a rural area and the municipal water supply is unsafe to drink. I carry a few Nestle water bottles with me anyway but when you were talking about how long the water stays cold on the WAN show with the LTT water bottle I thought that would be nice. After school I head to work and the water supply there is safe. 

But I agree with Lukin, there's a market for bigger water bottles. I'll probably buy this one and when the bigger ones come out I'll buy one of those. 

11 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

1) I got the Original orange one, it's bright and it really stands out in a sea of other water bottles. Does it make anyone come over and ask "Hey whats that?", no. But there is one guy on my campus that rocks an older LTT shirt that did notice it ;)

2) I'm a pretty avid water drinker, and my school has those water refilling stations like. Everywhere, so it's not an issue for me. if you're drinking alot of water and not filling it up over and over, have those nestle bottles handy and just pack ice inside of the bottle instead so you have plenty of water on the go. 

I just paid $40 for a water bottle. 

I need help. 

54 minutes ago, Lukin762 said:

1) I got the Original orange one, it's bright and it really stands out in a sea of other water bottles. Does it make anyone come over and ask "Hey whats that?", no. But there is one guy on my campus that rocks an older LTT shirt that did notice it ;)

2) I'm a pretty avid water drinker, and my school has those water refilling stations like. Everywhere, so it's not an issue for me. if you're drinking alot of water and not filling it up over and over, have those nestle bottles handy and just pack ice inside of the bottle instead so you have plenty of water on the go. 

Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate it, and you just helped me justify spending $40 on a water bottle.

Also Linus, if you're reading this, any way you could send them from within the U.S. so I could save some money on shipping? $10 is steep. 

6 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

--SNIP--

Oof, you might want to hide that contact email & the last 4 digits of your CC number too... otherwise, nice purchase!

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

30 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

I just paid $40 for a water bottle. 

I need help. 

Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate it, and you just helped me justify spending $40 on a water bottle.

Also Linus, if you're reading this, any way you could send them from within the U.S. so I could save some money on shipping? $10 is steep. 

Unfortunately we cannot ship from the US at the moment :(

We're working on better shipping options but it will take some time.

41 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Oof, you might want to hide that contact email & the last 4 digits of your CC number too... otherwise, nice purchase!

Last 4 of cc doesn't matter because that is a one time card generated with Privacy.com

I didn't see the harm that could be done with the email so I didn't bother censoring.

Who deleted my picture tho??

14 minutes ago, GetacFanboy said:

Last 4 of cc doesn't matter because that is a one time card generated with Privacy.com

I didn't see the harm that could be done with the email so I didn't bother censoring.

Who deleted my picture tho??

probably a mod, to protect your info

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

12 hours ago, GetacFanboy said:

Do you find that it holds enough water to last the whole day? I noticed a discrepancy between people claiming it's 18oz and 21 fluid ounces. Do you know which one is accurate? 

If having enough for a day is a concern, "The Coldest Water" has bottles up to a gallon.

13 hours ago, GetacFanboy said:

Do you find that it holds enough water to last the whole day?

I've always just taken two 500 mL (17 oz) bottles every day, they almost always last me until I'm home again - and in the rare times they don't I just fill them up with some more water. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

@LinusTech Have you thought about partnering with Nalgene and doing a bottle with them?

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

• 11 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 7:05 AM, kirashi said:

I see what you did there. ;) All new water bottles have a manufacturer smell / taste for some time period... that's how manufacturing works, similar to a new car smell, or the smell of burning plastic for the first 100 hours of running a new PSU. (something something if the burning plastic smell from your PSU doesn't go away, get the fire extinguisher.)

I found this post after receiving my bottle and reading that it's not dishwasher safe, so I wanted to see if there was any type of soap that would be recommended or warned against as the bottle is designed to hold hot liquid hot it's not a temperature issue.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

I bought mine ages ago my only regret about buying one is no straw style flip up thing, i hate unscrewing the lid and drinking from the big opening because it it a lot more annoying that flipping up a straw and taking a swig, and when i am working out it tends to spill from my hand/arms shaking sand definitely cant be used while running.

As far as smells or taste, I thought it was well known to wash new things a time or two before use, but whatever mine tastes fine and doesn't smell either.

I have a burning question (not that sort of burning... but I digress), just what does cancer taste like and how would you know this?

On 10/6/2019 at 1:05 AM, kirashi said:

Thank god, I thought the burning smell from my PC meant something went horribly wrong.