A $99 Laptop?! - Pinebook

James

Buy cheap laptops on Amazon: https://geni.us/u1ays

We got the cheapest laptop we could find- just $99. But is this notebook even usable? Depends... do you know how to use Linux?

1 minute ago, James said:

We got the cheapest laptop we could find- just $99. But is this notebook even usable? Depends... do you know how to use Linux?

The original Pinebook is pretty bad. Personally, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Pinebook Pro, which looks like a much, much more useable device and still not costing much.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The original Pinebook is pretty bad. Personally, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Pinebook Pro, which looks like a much, much more useable device and still not costing much.

When you quote me I get a notification :(

For that price, I'd go the used route. Better specs, even if it's older.

Also, 360p goodness.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

There comes a time where the low price doesn't justify the poor performance of a brand new device.

This is one of them..

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Also, 360p goodness.

One of the reasons why I consider the first Pinebook practically worthless. The Pro - version does boast H/W-accelerated 4K video-decoding, so it'll be a lot more useable media-consumption device.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

brand new device.

Nitpick: it's a couple of years old by now.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

One of the reasons why I consider the first Pinebook practically worthless. The Pro - version does boast H/W-accelerated 4K video-decoding, so it'll be a lot more useable media-consumption device.

I was talking about the video itself being in 360p only. But it does technically apply to what that laptop can playback, too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

28 minutes ago, James said:

do you know how to use Linux?

Should try Fedora 30 on it.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I think the main killer of this Pinebook is its storage device. If there was any possibility to stick SATA HDD/SSD it would perform 1000x better, but alas, who's gonna mod it.

I don't get why knowing how to use Linux would be a limitation at the level of work you can actually do on that thing

Agree - used Laptop = way better buy.

But its neat

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Not much to say about the product. On the other hand, the case on the desk for most of the video was really distracting. I was paying more attention to the lights on that case rather than focusing on the actual subject of the video.

I might also mention, the reason the Pinebook didn't boot Windows is because it's using uboot to load the kernel directly, while RasPi Windows has a Broadcom-specific binary that sets up UEFI first.

It is possible to compile and load an UEFI environment off of uboot; if the image was modified for that, it could potentially work with the existing HAL and boot to a degree (the Mali GPU doesn't help in this case).

Not possible to run android on it?

Next you should check out a raspberry pi based laptop

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Not possible to run android on it?

Next you should check out a raspberry pi based laptop

You could run any Linux-based system if you make an uboot-compatible image first.

1 minute ago, Foxlet said:

You could run any Linux-based system if you make an uboot-compatible image first.

Then considering the $20 phones that run android relatively well this thing should be able to kill it with that OS?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Then considering the $20 phones that run android relatively well this thing should be able to kill it with that OS?

Assuming Android blobs can be found for graphics, yes, it would be a very good contender (although the touch-oriented interface might hinder it in that regard).

This is about as impressive as a first gen netbook from 2008... only less useful LOL

Seriously, you could pull out a K625 AMD setup from 2010 and have a far more practical machine in your hands that's just as portable and runs full Windows 7.

I wouldn't even use this as a word processor - who are they actually marketing this for? I think if you only have $99 to spend on a notebook you have much bigger issues IMO.

For the price I would recommend a used thinkpad if you actually intend to use it like you would your current PC/Laptop. You can find ones with first gen Core iX series mobile CPU's for the price of this thing. Much better specs, runs an X86 OS, and is more usable over all.

Though, that is assuming you looked at the Pinebook for the intent of using it like you would your normal laptop. In that case you're missing the point. I'm not exactly sure what the point it, but it isn't that.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

No it's not bad, just different. Pinebook is for a really niche market, FAR from regular user. 

Sadly enough Linus did't showcase Pinebook true purpose. 

2 hours ago, Kroon said:

Sadly enough Linus did't showcase Pinebook true purpose. 

Which is?

Does anyone have a link for the forest wallpaper that was on the monitor in the background for this review?

The Pinebook Pro looks kind of interesting, though they are still essentially hot gluing one of their SBC boards into a laptop chassis, Hopefully they'll do a more dedicated laptop board with m.2 and SODIMMs on it.