ENERMAX Unleashes the Beastly MAXREVO 1800W Power Supply

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

those people will likely be running on redundant PSU's, and have the system in a server rack somewhere. solutions for that already exsist. this PSU does nothing for them.

Exactly my point.

21 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Dual socket 8180M with full AVX-512 workload and 4 tesla V100s with a hard drive array.

Very limited, and people with those workloads are going to buy something that's most likely gray and will be running connected to a  dedicated 220v circuit.

Actually, the 8180s are designed to run under 200W, and Teslas are really downclocked Titan V (they consume ~200W), so a 1300W Supernova G2 would work fine/

You are going to need a professional electrician come to your house and setup the outlet.  No way I'd plug that in without an electrician first.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

Actually, the 8180s are designed to run under 200W, and Teslas are really downclocked Titan V (they consume ~200W), so a 1300W Supernova G2 would work fine/

Where do you get that the 8180Ms run under 200 watts? Also the same question in regards to the V100s.

46 minutes ago, BuckGup said:

You are going to blow breakers in most typical houses unless it's wired for 20 amps or higher lol

Peasant North Americans :P This thing is perfectly happy with only 8 amp fuses here in Europe :P

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Where do you get that the 8180Ms run under 200 watts? Also the same question in regards to the V100s.

https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38-5M-Cache-2-50-GHz-

they are 200W

sorry, the v100s are 250W, but thats max

https://images.nvidia.com/content/technologies/volta/pdf/437317-Volta-V100-DS-NV-US-WEB.pdf

52 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Two things; [Why make this product?]

1. It's not the highest wattage PSU ever
  2. 80+gold for a 1800W PSU is garbage, most power supplies over 1200 are usually plat or titanium

I'm not a PSU enthusiast, but if I'm shopping for a 2 way SLI and a 9980XE OC'd build, this isnt on my radar for PSU's I'm considering. 

Well to answer your question on why make this product, it is the same reason why NVIDIA makes a Titan card. Why make a Titan when there's going to be an xx80 Ti variant? It's to have a "halo" product of sorts that most companies tend to produce for reasons that aren't generally geared towards the mainstream user. It's like saying why make a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon when the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat already exists.

As for the 80 Plus Gold rating, as long as you at least have an 80 Plus rating, generally you have not much to worry about. Efficiency rating isn't indicative of the "quality" of PSU per se and while ENERMAX isn't frequently used compared to some other companies, they do actually make pretty good PSUs though. 

So what do the different 80 Plus ratings mean:

The basic 80 Plus rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 80% efficiency at 20% load, 50% load, and 100% load.

The 80 Plus Bronze rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 82% efficiency at 20% load, 85% at 50% load, and 82% at 100% load.

The 80 Plus Silver rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 85% efficiency at 20% load, 88% at 50% load, and 85% at 100% load.

The 80 Plus Gold rating meas that the PSU is rated for at least 87% efficiency at 20% load, 90% at 50% load, and 87% at 100% load.

The 80 Plus Platinum rating means that the PSU is rated for at least 90% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 89% at 100% load.

For more info, read here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Peasant North Americans :P This thing is perfectly happy with only 8 amp fuses here in Europe :P

You have fuses?

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

No offence to Jay, but I don't think he knows how to test or review PSUs. It's just not the sort of content he focuses on. Someone let me know when Aris does a review, not that I would be buying it anyway...

I'm guessing CWT is the OEM for this one?

Of course, I would rather see a review from JonnyGURU, as they would be better for review purposes. But if you have been following Steve and Jay, they have been engaging in extreme overclocking back and forth, where they have to use two separate power supplies. And I'm wondering if this might remedy that, or even provide better results.

As far as I know, ENERMAX makes their PSUs in house and doesn't use an OEM. At least that's how it has been for their past MaxRevo, Platimax, and Revolution87+ PSU models. 

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

You have fuses?

Fuses, breakers, whatever you call them.

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

TDP isn't power draw. The 8180/Ms can hit peaks of over 700watts under full ABX-512 workloads. That's for a single CPU. I also know this from experience having a dual 8180M system.

Also, the same aspect with the Teslas. The V100 also has two different flavors, PCIe card which you linked to, and the Mezzanine card which is actually rated at a TDP of 300 watts. However TDP isn't an indication of power draw, nor is it a perfect measurement. They will draw more than that if there is thermal and power headroom while under heavy workloads.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Having a fuse in a grounded outlet must sound like advanced alien tech for americans

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

As far as I know, ENERMAX makes their PSUs in house and doesn't use an OEM. At least that's how it has been for their past MaxRevo, Platimax, and Revolution87+ PSU models

I think they stopped making their own units a few years ago to save cost. Afaik most or all modern Enermax units have been produced by CWT.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

As for the 80 Plus Gold rating, as long as you at least have an 80 Plus rating, generally you have not much to worry about. Efficiency rating isn't indicative of the "quality" of PSU per se and while ENERMAX isn't frequently used compared to some other companies, they do actually make pretty good PSUs though. 

So what do the different 80 Plus ratings mean:

I'm aware that 80+ rating =/= Quality, but that doesnt excuse the fact that if I'm pulling 1500+ watts from my system, I'd rather my PSU be more efficient (closer to 92-94%) rather than 87% or whatever the numbers are so I'm not pulling as much from the wall, especially at such high wattage's where a few %'s actually start to matter.

I'm not doubting the quality of the internal components, just the high wattage while not being as efficient as other PSU's on the market, and/ore not being the highest wattage PSU on the market. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Well I was surprised at first, since the US stopped using fuse panels in the late 50's (for new installations).

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Having a fuse in a grounded outlet must sound like advanced alien tech for americans

How so, if you don't mind me asking? Also, you can ground outlets in many different methods, some being considered safer than others. A bit off topic so I'll leave it there.

1 hour ago, Juniiii said:

My old mobile home needed a upgrade to use 500 watts from my pc at full load and a microwave at the same time, this would probably blow everything. 

Edit: the source cable is probably like a oven cable, one of those real big and thick ones.

My apartment at college would have the breaker trip everytime I was using my desktop the same time as someone used the microwave. Ended up having to put my desktop on a different outlet that wasn't part of the same circuit as the microwave. 

Just now, Spotty said:

I think they stopped making their own units a few years ago to save cost. Afaik most or all modern Enermax units have been produced by CWT.

Yeah, this seems to be correct, it also looks like there are some other OEMs being used like; FSP, Fortech Electronics, Yue-Lin Electrical Tech, and Sirtec.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

My apartment at college would have the breaker trip everytime I was using my desktop the same time as someone used the microwave. Ended up having to put my desktop on a different outlet that wasn't part of the same circuit as the microwave. 

That's due to the spike that microwaves have when the magnetron kicks on. The draw spike is typically high enough to kick a 15amp breaker if anything else is running on that circuit. That's why they recommend installing them on a dedicated circuit.

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm aware that 80+ rating =/= Quality, but that doesnt excuse the fact that if I'm pulling 1500+ watts from my system, I'd rather my PSU be more efficient (closer to 92-94%) rather than 87% or whatever the numbers are so I'm not pulling as much from the wall, especially at such high wattage's where a few %'s actually start to matter.

I'm not doubting the quality of the internal components, just the high wattage while not being as efficient as other PSU's on the market, and/ore not being the highest wattage PSU on the market. 

I do understand your perspective here. But again, it is somewhat based on your use case and circumstances. Since, for instance, I imagine when K|NGP|N or der8auer are going HAM with LN2 overclocking, the last thing they are worried about is electricity cost and savings if they were using a Platinum or Titanium PSU instead. That's where I mostly see a product like this being used over some other solutions that offer better efficiency ratings and at slightly less voltage. 

Otherwise, I do see your point.

20 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

That would actually be a huge regression.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That's due to the spike that microwaves have when the magnetron kicks on. The draw spike is typically high enough to kick a 15amp breaker if anything else is running on that circuit. That's why they recommend installing them on a dedicated circuit.

Yeah I am unsure. The interesting thing is that this particular microwave was notorious for this. I gave the microwave to my sister and she had the same problem at her apartment when they had a TV and some other electronics on the same breaker. Same thing happened with my dad after my sister left it with him. I haven't had this issue with my current microwave or any other microwave for that matter. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I am unsure. The interesting thing is that this particular microwave was notorious for this. I gave the microwave to my sister and she had the same problem at her apartment when they had a TV and some other electronics on the same breaker. Same thing happened with my dad after my sister left it with him. I haven't had this issue with my current microwave or any other microwave for that matter. 

Some depending on how they were made will have capacitors in them to help the load spike on the circuit. 

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Wtf In italy we use circuit breakers, never seen a fuse in my life here except in 12V circuits
10A for lights, 16A for sockets

1800 watt output at 230V and 1600 watt at 115V

Yeaaaaah. Thats gonna need a 20 amp circuit. If memory serves me well, the national electric code in the US says the maximum Watts for a continuously running device on a 15 amp circuit is ~1500W.
I honestly wonder what could require that many watts. All I can think of is really a server with multi CPUs or.... Well... Linus with the forever growing " __ Gamers '1 CPU' PC"

IIRC in the UK, we have circuit breakers, usually these are a "per room£ breaker, but for bigger items (electric ovens, boilers and such) they have their own breaker, usually these are rated for higher amperage too... we also have separate circuits for lower amperage things, like bathroom extractor fans.  Fuses are found in most appliances "plugs" that go into the outlet/socket, and the fuse is rated for the intended purpose, so that it would trip to help prevent damage/fires...our supply is 240Vac.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini