Why did you buy an Android phone?

The choice factor, as it pertains to price, festureset, the way the individual flavors of Android look and feel and other factors 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I switched to Android from an iPhone 3GS and one of the deciding factors was that Android appeared to work a lot better with the Windows ecosystem than iTunes.  It was easier for me to transfer music, photos and videos from device to PC and vice versa than going through iTunes, where at least once a month, Apple would ask for me to re-register the same computer that was already registered and add that registration on the number of concurrent uses that iTunes allowed.  Hardware wise, I never had too many issues with the Apple hardware, but having the MicroSD card slot or having the removable battery at the time was a nice feature.  Still like being able to get devices with MicroSD support.  I also like the ability to organize the icons on Android and navigate the system menus better than what iOS had.  

Well... I got a ASUS Zenfone V from verizon and the main selling point was USB-C. For $200! Its a all around great phone, play pubg at high settings (untill it gets hot `-`) and yeah! all around, Im happy with my purchase.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Reasons for me buying Android:

1. Not Made By Apple
  2. Not Made By Apple
  3. Not Made By Apple
  4. Not Made By Apple
  5. Not Made By Apple
  6. Cheaper
  7. Cheaper repairs
  8. Don't need to worry about being locked out by said repairs via updates
  9. Don't need to be worried about updates deliberately slowing down your device
  10. Want a built in Stylus? We got that
  11. Headphone jack? Got that too
  12. Removable Batteries? Go fishing you'll eventually find one
  13. Want the last 3 mentioned for under $500? Used to be possible, not sure now.
  14. Cheaper hehehe
  15. Expandable memory (for the most part)
  16. You are not a cookie cut clone (unless you use a Sammy Sx series, sorry it's true)
  17. You don't need to break the law to root your device (if wished)
  18. More customization all around
  19. Performance per $ is getting better each year, not staying the same. Esp lower end units.
  20. No additional (aka non gov) tax required
  21. Not Made By Apple ∞ 

21 hours ago, Bigbootyjudy said:
    • Less secure

Like to point out a phone is only as secure as one permits it to be. So no "real" cons there for the non tech savvy.

I don't own a smart phone, and I don't want to. Yes, it does come in handy at times. But my tinfoil hat is as pointy as ever, as I don't need the government tracking me any more than they already do. Besides that, it helps me disconnect from tech for awhile and reconnect with life. Kinda refreshing honestly. 

48 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

How do you make calls away from home?  I don't think pay phones exist anymore because of cell phones.

He uses a cellphone that doesn't have smart features. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

- Being able to choose which ecosytem i want to use.

- Battery Life

- Headphone Jack, Fingerprint Reader, Expandable Storage, Wireless Charging. Apple has most of these but not all on the same devise. 

- Don't have to use iVirusTunes

- Dual Sim (2 sim cards not e-sim as mobile operator don't want to support that here)

- Can organize apps.

- Software like KNOX for security and being able to keep work and personal separate on one device.

- Separate sliders for Sound options.

I just realized, I don't think this meets posting guidelines.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I just realized, I don't think this meets posting guidelines.

Wrong subthread too, I might add

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I bought the OnePlus 6T as my very first smartphone after using the same flip phone for 10 years straight and here are my reasons (without rooting) :
-prefer Oxygen OS over iOS. The location of Settings makes more sense and the OS itself is at least on par with an iOS level of quality. File Management, responsiveness, and multitasking is above iOS level.

-Screen of a top of the line iPhone for half the price
-prefer having an in-display fingerprint sensor over simply having the latest iOS device. It's uniquely flashy.
-It has less passive flashiness, ie., a thief isn't going to take one look at my phone and go 'ooo that would fetch me a pretty penny if I sold it'

-It can use both Pixel and OnePlus camera software. Extra features for free? Yes please.
-It has a price I can afford for an extremely recent top of the line flagship. The same can't be said for Apple.
-Faster charging out of the box
-The 'teardrop' notch is a nice, artistic compromise that further helps my phone stand out in a unique way without being overly flashy about it.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

- i'm built into the google ecosystem so it just made sense

- cheaper to use

- freedom around apps and to some extent the OS i run ( with custom roms ect )

- generally, have newer features and will test the water more

7 hours ago, quakeguy81 said:

How do you make calls away from home?  I don't think pay phones exist anymore because of cell phones.

I have a normal cell phone...I can still call and text. Its a Pantech P5000.

Because I'm not forced to play by someone else's rules. I refuse to have dictated for me what's good or bad, what I can or cannot do. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

13 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Because I'm not forced to play by someone else's rules. I refuse to have dictated for me what's good or bad, what I can or cannot do. 

and therefore you are running Linux?

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

and therefore you are running Linux?

I haven't really been exposed to it yet. I'm not against it in any way - in fact, I wish I had the knowledge to use it, and maybe I should learn. But I haven't found windows annoying enough or limiting enough yet for my purposes, and I own a surface pro for notetaking in classes, something I can't do with Linux...

When that surface (which is my main computer now) dies, I intend on switching to a Chromebook (for the cheap price of hardware) and relying heavily on it's growing Linux integration/support/backend.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Just now, SwagMaestro said:

I intend on switching to a Chromebook (for the cheap price of hardware) and relying heavily on it's growing Linux integration/support/backend.

if you are considering Chromebook. id honestly suggest just loading in Linux yourself. the hardware is cheap, because its cheap "meh" at best hardware. 

they are cheap for a reason. The OS isnt the most expencive component

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

if you are considering Chromebook. id honestly suggest just loading in Linux yourself. the hardware is cheap, because its cheap "meh" at best hardware. 

they are cheap for a reason. The OS isnt the most expencive component

Loading it in? To an existing machine, you mean?

My justification for Chromebooks:

They are cheap, but the everyday use is super smooth. My friend lent me an Acer 720P from 2014 that he's been using every day before he switched to a Lenovo 500e (which is also a Chromebook.)

That machine has a Celeron, I think? Or an atom? Can't tell anymore. But it's *butter smooth*, even more than the surface with its nvme and core i5 (even if it's just a dual core). Still receiving updates, and if it had the Linux integration, app support and wasn't broken and touchpadless, it would've been excellent.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

I'm just going to add to the chorus of people saying they went with Android because it's cheap.

Currently using the £230 Honor Play. To get such a complete package of a phone for such a low price is something you will not find with iPhones.

I do also happen to prefer the Operating System due to its customisability, the headphone jack is nice, expandable storage etc... But let's say in some alternate universe where Apple phones were the cheap option and Android phones were expensive I would probably go with Apple, so for me, the main reason is the price

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

That machine has a Celeron, I think?

celeron, because that is what is cheap enough. 

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

But it's *butter smooth*, even more than the surface with its nvme and core i5 (even if it's just a dual core). Still receiving updates, and if it had the Linux integration, app support and wasn't broken and touchpadless, it would've been excellent.

in other words. get linux instead of Chromebooks.....

• Cheaper.
  • OS isn't as locked down as the competition.
  • Greater choice amongst phones. If I don't like one current Android device I can buy another meaning I don't have to change my whole platform.
  • Repairs by third parties aren't blocked.
  • I don't support anti-competitive/consumer companies.
  • Less hardware faults.
  • No notch.
  • Headphone jack.
  • Supports additional storage/Micro SD.
  • Can charge and have headphones plugged in at the same time.
  • USB type C instead of Lightning.
  • No dongles.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

40 minutes ago, Carclis said:
  • Cheaper.
  • OS isn't as locked down as the competition.
  • Greater choice amongst phones. If I don't like one current Android device I can buy another meaning I don't have to change my whole platform.
  • Repairs by third parties aren't blocked.
  • I don't support anti-competitive/consumer companies.
  • Less hardware faults.
  • No notch.
  • Headphone jack.
  • Supports additional storage/Micro SD.
  • Can charge and have headphones plugged in at the same time.
  • USB type C instead of Lightning.
  • No dongles.

Google literally got hit with multiple penalties for anti-competitive behavior with Android licensing and search.

Just now, Commodus said:

Google literally got hit with multiple penalties for anti-competitive behavior with Android licensing and search.

Well I was specifically referring to stuff such as parts being confiscated when people are trying to make repairs, the constant denial of hardware faults, removal of features to try and force users to purchase accessories and also them blaming their users for issues with the product. That said, I was not aware of that, but I would still rather give Google a small cut of the money as opposed to all of it as would be the case if I had purchased Apple.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Well I was specifically referring to stuff such as parts being confiscated when people are trying to make repairs, the constant denial of hardware faults, removal of features to try and force users to purchase accessories and also them blaming their users for issues with the product. That said, I was not aware of that, but I would still rather give Google a small cut of the money as opposed to all of it as would be the case if I had purchased Apple.

Fair enough.  If you're curious, here's the EU antitrust fine over Android.  I actually don't think Apple pulled the headphone jack to make people buy AirPods (you get Lightning earphones in the box, and a $9 adapter will do the trick), but it's certainly understandable if you'd rather not be pushed to make that choice.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Fair enough.  If you're curious, here's the EU antitrust fine over Android.

I'm seeing a lot of similarities between what Google does and how default search and browsing apps work on the Windows platform.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I actually don't think Apple pulled the headphone jack to make people buy AirPods (you get Lightning earphones in the box, and a $9 adapter will do the trick), but it's certainly understandable if you'd rather not be pushed to make that choice.

Most people already have audio gear that they invested in and/or are already happy with so having to use a dongle to support it is already absurd (extra bulk on a mobile device) and the fact that such a dongle isn't included in the box for a $1000 device is fucking insulting to be completely honest. Being able to charge the device and use the headphone jack is also an absolute necessity for me (not sure about others) so that would certainly have pushed me to purchase the Airpods. In any case I'm not a fan of the wireless approach either because that's just another thing that has to be charged and conveniently for Apple, they're easy to misplace.

The primary reason I have an android phone is for the removable battery, sd card slot, headphone jack, and ease of repair (LG V20). Secondary reason is a dislike of Apple's ecosystem. I personally could care less about water proof and IPxx ratings. I've had a cell phone before android and iphone existed and have yet to damage my phone with water. I've had my fair share of exposure to rain as well, no issues.

There's obviously a market for IP rated devices as that seems to have completely taken over, but I think the trade off of sealed devices without easily replaceable batteries is higher than most people realize. The #1 complaint I hear from people with a high end phone after a year or so is that the battery just doesn't last like it used to. This in turn can lead to issues like the phone not performing as great a year or so down the line. Case in point with the Apple battery throttling "scandal". The best thing that then happens is the user gets the urge to "upgrade" their device considerably earlier than they might have with a non-degraded battery. I am not saying this happens to all new devices, but it does seem fairly commonly reported. The counter to this might be that you can actually still replace batteries in newer phones; however, this often voids the IP seal and eliminates the whole point of buying a phone with that rating in the first place. It's also a much more involved process that typically requires a heat gun or hair dryer with non-user-friendly adhesives. Also, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 were IP67 rated and had removable batteries. With new flagships coming out annually, I think from a business perspective, it didn't make much sense anymore for manufacturers like LG and Samsung to promote long term usage of their own products. Just encourage customers to buy another.

Another aspect for me is local storage. With a phone like the LG V20, listening to high quality audio files is a fairly good experience especially paired with something like PowerAmp. I'd rather store my music, and anything else locally than have to depend on cloud storage. High quality photos and video can also eat up storage quickly. The option for SD card expansion makes this a non-issue.

It's fairly well known that bluetooth audio devices have yet to catch up to their wired counterparts as far as audio quality is concerned. I don't consider myself an audio snob by any means, but I can definitely tell the difference between a "high end" bluetooth headphone, and a wired headphone at the same price point. I'm all for choice, keep the headphone jack, and bluetooth. Let the user decide. Don't force them to use some adapter or dongle when there's no substantial evidence that's been provided to support the removal of the headphone jack.

Lastly, ease of repair goes a long way to a lasting device, but as I pointed out with the battery, this also could translate to less sales of new devices. Why make a phone easily repairable by the customer when you might encourage another sale of your latest device? The LG V20 and G5 for that matter are great examples of an easily user-repairable phone. Just a few screws and you can access every main component of the device. I think the LMG experience with the iMac Pro and Louis Rossman's ongoing relationship with Apple highlight Apple's lack of repair options quite well.