So Why Is Apple "The best" in some peoples eyes?

whatishacks

Its really pretty, and is nice to use. Simple out of the box, easy all in one design, integrates with their iPhone and iPad

The basic iMac is not unusable, its expensive for its spec, but for basic use its still perfectly snappy, go try one, OSX optimisations are pretty amazing

What works well at the store won't necessarily work as well 6 months down the line, especially when we're talking about 5400rpm drives. Even 2010 netbooks felt kinda snappy at the store, before you dared install anything else on them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

delete half a dozen music tracks one after the other within the device and watch it crash faster than hellen keller behind the wheel of a lambo.

Try uploading music to the phone directly.

transfer a playlist if you don't have an "apple music account" seperate to your itunes account.

I agree that for a basic user IOS is perfectly fine for about a year, until you start running into issues, or you fill your memory. then you look at it and wonder what you were thinking.

Ok. just deleted 3 playlists and some songs from a few others.. phone is fine....no crashes, downloaded 2 new albums and deleted 2 others...

Upload to the phone directly? Well I just use iTunes to get my music on, since that is the proper way to do it

I dont have playlists outside of iTunes. because I use iTunes ... which is how you are meant to use it

I just disagree with what you are saying.. I have been using iPhones on 2 years contracts since the 3gs....I have filled them up, and deleted stuff just fine, very rarely have a little software crash (like an app closing and I have to swipe up to close it, and my phone has rebooted a handful of times)

If you are trying to do things the device was not intended to do.. like putting music on the phone without using iTunes.. then that is the issue , you are doing things that the device and OS were not designed around

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

All of my stored music is on the phone but I can't listen to it. I don't know whats going on. If I had an album on my phone I now have two, one that works and one that is grayed out. I haven't found a solution (haven't looked for one either) because apple music is pretty neat. I liked spotify more but I stopped using them a couple months ago (5+) because the app was crap and I was only listening to the music I already owned so it seemed pointless. Apple music will probably have the same fate but I still have some free time. 

Any ideas on my owned music? I can't mass delete them and I can't sync stuff via my pc anymore. I assumed this was due to apple music but maybe not if nothing changed for you. 

Have you tried connecting to iTunes and re-syncing the phone? maybe try remove the album from being synced then sync it separately after

What works well at the store won't necessarily work as well 6 months down the line, especially when we're talking about 5400rpm drives. Even 2010 netbooks felt kinda snappy at the store, before you dared install anything else on them.

True, but in my experience OSX doesn't cope too badly with age, seen plenty of super old iMacs come into store over the years that work fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ecosystem

Simplicity

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

True, but in my experience OSX doesn't cope too badly with age, seen plenty of super old iMacs come into store over the years that work fine

Sure, but I doubt they had 5400rpm drives ;) osx may be good, but it can't do miracles.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ok. just deleted 3 playlists and some songs from a few others.. phone is fine....no crashes, downloaded 2 new albums and deleted 2 others...

Upload to the phone directly? Well I just use iTunes to get my music on, since that is the proper way to do it

I dont have playlists outside of iTunes. because I use iTunes ... which is how you are meant to use it

I just disagree with what you are saying.. I have been using iPhones on 2 years contracts since the 3gs....I have filled them up, and deleted stuff just fine, very rarely have a little software crash (like an app closing and I have to swipe up to close it, and my phone has rebooted a handful of times)

If you are trying to do things the device was not intended to do.. like putting music on the phone without using iTunes.. then that is the issue , you are doing things that the device and OS were not designed around

And until the latest update I'd agree with you. I've had my iphone 5 64GB since release (think that's about 3 1/2 years now) And yes I use itunes, which now wants me to load songs from playlists (and then forgets the playlist) If the upgrade actually added something besides a marketing blurb I wouldn't mind trying to relearn the system. The problem I have is that they took everything that made the system work offline, and made sure it worked very well for people who were willing to be permanently connected to the net. My problem is I live in regional Australia, and that shit just does not fly. with bad connections, and random dropouts. I feel the new apple music is a buggy mess unless you're willing to pay for the new apple music ( I'm not, I have a cd collection of 500+ discs brought and paid for, for a reason) And willing to accept apple having an electronic leash on you at all times.

Should I break out my tinfoil hat?

And until the latest update I'd agree with you. I've had my iphone 5 64GB since release (think that's about 3 1/2 years now) And yes I use itunes, which now wants me to load songs from playlists (and then forgets the playlist) If the upgrade actually added something besides a marketing blurb I wouldn't mind trying to relearn the system. The problem I have is that they took everything that made the system work offline, and made sure it worked very well for people who were willing to be permanently connected to the net. My problem is I live in regional Australia, and that shit just does not fly. with bad connections, and random dropouts. I feel the new apple music is a buggy mess unless you're willing to pay for the new apple music ( I'm not, I have a cd collection of 500+ discs brought and paid for, for a reason) And willing to accept apple having an electronic leash on you at all times.

Is this the kind of leash Apple is trying to put on you?

22981049.jpg

(Quality is all well and good, but its pointless when quality is at the cost of performance. Laptops from the late 90's early 2000's had desktop performance and high build quality at a relitively low price ($900 or so for a laptop bought you about the same performance of a desktop-with very good quality)).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Probably, has to be a gold one though if its for Apple :P

No but seriously 99% of Apples customers will be connected 99% of the time

Apple are about making devices with mass appeal, not for niche markets, if a feature benefits 95% of people but screws over 5% they will implement it - on Android you might have a way around, but there ARE benefits to a closed system just as there are crippling limitations

I will say in defence I often use my phone in airplane mode when travelling, and have not had any issues 

perhaps I am lucky

Probably, has to be a gold one though if its for Apple :P

No but seriously 99% of Apples customers will be connected 99% of the time

Apple are about making devices with mass appeal, not for niche markets, if a feature benefits 95% of people but screws over 5% they will implement it - on Android you might have a way around, but there ARE benefits to a closed system just as there are crippling limitations

I will say in defence I often use my phone in airplane mode when travelling, and have not had any issues 

perhaps I am lucky

and I agree regional Australia is a niche market. and since about two weeks after release of apple music I haven't had any of the connection issues I had on day 1 of release. My problem is that itunes was an opt in for online service. and under good old steve worked flawlessly. Now it just plain doesn't work properly unless you accept the online service that in 3 months apple will make you pay a subscription fee for.

My opinion mate, And I have a pillow with my name on it in my near future.

and I agree regional Australia is a niche market. and since about two weeks after release of apple music I haven't had any of the connection issues I had on day 1 of release. My problem is that itunes was an opt in for online service. and under good old steve worked flawlessly. Now it just plain doesn't work properly unless you accept the online service that in 3 months apple will make you pay a subscription fee for.

hmm my dad and sister have not opted in, but they can play music fine. (if that is what you meant?)

Good Ol Steve, there were just as many issues, Apple is expanding and growing still, and is still a pretty small company considering how many units they sell. I would say its a mostly flawless, there are issues (apple maps, antennagate etc) but considering they sell tens of millions of devices, and do all the software and hardware themselves, its pretty impressive that it goes so well

That people assume nothing would go wrong with Steve at the helm is ridiculous, streaming music is uncharted territory, and making software work for an expanding market on new devices constantly is going to be met with issues

Hey at least its better than my Nvidia Shield.. which liked to corrupt and wipe  its operating system every time I update it and just give up downloading an app half way through before restarting the whole download again

hmm my dad and sister have not opted in, but they can play music fine. (if that is what you meant?)

Good Ol Steve, there were just as many issues, Apple is expanding and growing still, and is still a pretty small company considering how many units they sell. I would say its a mostly flawless, there are issues (apple maps, antennagate etc) but considering they sell tens of millions of devices, and do all the software and hardware themselves, its pretty impressive that it goes so well

That people assume nothing would go wrong with Steve at the helm is ridiculous, streaming music is uncharted territory, and making software work for an expanding market on new devices constantly is going to be met with issues

Hey at least its better than my Nvidia Shield.. which liked to corrupt and wipe  its operating system every time I update it and just give up downloading an app half way through before restarting the whole download again

I agree steve is demonized as much as he is hoisted up as a bastion of shining light. He was a flawed human being, and a bit of a prick to anyone he thought he could use and abuse without getting in trouble for it. Steve was a businessman with a talent for seeing how things could work together (and would make a profit). He drove apple to near bankruptcy at least once.

I disagree that streaming music is uncharted territory. It's been implemented for the last five years, not necessarily flawlessly, but the tech behind it is pretty mature. but I do agree for shear install base that there are always going to be issues encountered with that many people installing a program, and using it in ways that you never dreamed.

I'm a bit old, and felt that the itunes I had 6 months ago worked for me. I'm upset that some of the stuff I found simple before either doesn't work, is greyed out, or causes programs to crash.

All this is personal opinion, and experience, and I'm well aware that some people are going to prefer the new platform

I disagree that streaming music is uncharted territory

I mean't new to Apple, sure its not completely new as they had streaming movies and stuff on Apple TV, but the music service was, which is pretty much why they bought beats, it meant they did not have to work it out from scratch since they bought a ready working system

I imagine the issues faced are trying to adapt pre-made software for their own use, 

Agreed, its all personal opinion, I just think on the whole OSX and iOS run smoothly with very few issues for most - of course there are issues but most are minor and if not Apple support generally get it sorted

1GB of RAM can only go so far after all (the dual core ARM CPU they use however are actually pretty damn good).

1GB of RAM was too little in 2013 for active users...

Even with the best of software and lenses... 8MPX camera is a tad "cheap". They could easily have scaled it up to 13MPX without breaking any profit.

Actually using the latest Corning Gorilla Glass rather then some other shit, to prevent their over-priced crap from breaking would be nice too.

Oh, and let us not forget the lack of a microSD slot...

questionable battery time.... (it can be great, if you do not use the phone)

and shitty "network card"... not really a card, but their chip isnt rated for super high speeds...

Although, apple isnt that guilty in that department. So far, only Sony has bothered with high speed networking chips in their devices... guess thats a japanese cellphone culture thingy that has influenced that move more then anything else.

Oh yeah, dunno if this is the same in murica... but the EU versions seems to have crappy signal receptors.... Dunno if their antenna is just a tad short or if the signal amp is too damn weak.

Marketing, If there is one thing Apple are experts in, it's marketing

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Marketing, If there is one thing Apple are experts in, it's marketing

Marketing from 10+ years ago when they actually were better at/for some things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They invented the modern smartphone. (In most people's eyes, even though IBM did it in the 80s)

People trust a brand that has been around since its creation.

Easy. People that buy macs don't do it to play with it. When you're a gamer you want the best hardware, and windows. When all you do is work with documents and not so demanding stuff, then someone might prefer a mac.

Mac is synonim of no problems and reliable system, to some people that's the most important thing.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

1GB of RAM was too little in 2013 for active users...

Even with the best of software and lenses... 8MPX camera is a tad "cheap". They could easily have scaled it up to 13MPX without breaking any profit.

Actually using the latest Corning Gorilla Glass rather then some other shit, to prevent their over-priced crap from breaking would be nice too.

Oh, and let us not forget the lack of a microSD slot...

questionable battery time.... (it can be great, if you do not use the phone)

and shitty "network card"... not really a card, but their chip isnt rated for super high speeds...

Although, apple isnt that guilty in that department. So far, only Sony has bothered with high speed networking chips in their devices... guess thats a japanese cellphone culture thingy that has influenced that move more then anything else.

Oh yeah, dunno if this is the same in murica... but the EU versions seems to have crappy signal receptors.... Dunno if their antenna is just a tad short or if the signal amp is too damn weak.

Not sure what to say about the RAM - my iPhone is fine performance wise, very rare do I get an app crash - but WOULD be appreciated if it means more powerful apps and better multitasking

I agree the glass is not the best, I have a few scratches on my iPhone, but they will improve it over time, the ion x glass on the watch is a big improvement, and it means Apple dont have to rely on Corning

Micro SD = Pro and Con, messing around with memory cards is never fun, and I never have to look at a file browser, yay - downside, expensive for large storage amounts, but I have 128gb so I dont really need SD 

8MP means larger apertures for each pixel making the phone better in low light

Battery life on my 6 is really good tbh, I rarely fail to get through a day and I am a pretty heavy user (2 to 3 hours of video, 3 hours music, 30-60 minutes gaming, texting and stuff through the day)

Dunno about network card. my phone doenst seem to be any different to other phones I have tried

Honestly, I hate the way apple is marketing itself, "If it's not an Iphone, well it's not an Iphone." (Recent commercials) As if to say that they are just going off their brand name and nothing more. Like, we get it, you can design nice looking electronics that are generations behind today's recent electronics. the only thing  say might be advanced is the Mac with a 5k screen. That is baller. But anyway, I despise that Apple is just using their name to generate revenue.

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

I have never owned an Android phone, always been an iPhone user starting at the 4...

The storage options/prices are awful, along with the non-upgradable storage I'm not limited to my 16gb 5S model unless I buy an entirely new phone with a larger capacity (~$600).

The battery life is awful. I now need to charge my phone around 2 times a day since im a heavy user and cannot get enough battery to last me a day in 1 full charge.

The lack of customisability is quite frankly awful too. I have jailbroken my phone to let me do some customizations but even still, by Jailbreaking my phone some apps wont allow me to use them, such as my bank.

But you know what...

I fucking love my iPhone

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

Apple is successful and "he best" to many people, simply because they do not operate like a computer company.   Steve Jobs figured out something a long time ago that other computer companies are still trying to figure out.   

Computers will eventually be treated like Cars and televisions.   Meaning that it isn't normally just the specs that matter.  It is the entire package.   

When you buy a car do you just get the one with the most horse power?   No.  You look for a set of features in a package that looks good within your budget.  It is a balancing act.   Same for a TV.  Do you just go for the largest screen?  Or do you also look at connections, screen quality, etc.   

So Apple took the same philosophy.   They looked at what people needed, not what they were asking for.  (The two are seldom the same)  They then started making that.  Does the iphone have the largest screen, or the fastest processor or the most ram?   Nope.   But it does have good specs in a good package and provides an experience that people enjoy.   

I don't agree with everything apple does.  I feel they need to bring back a pre 2013 style mac pro.  But we are not the mainstream consumer.   Enthusiast and gamers are far to small of a market segment for them to bother with.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

So Apple took the same philosophy.   They looked at what people needed, not what they were asking for.  (The two are seldom the same)  They then started making that.  Does the iphone have the largest screen, or the fastest processor or the most ram?   Nope.   But it does have good specs in a good package and provides an experience that people enjoy.   

That's actually a very good point and a good analogy. While I would love to drive a Corvette... I don't see the utility in it. That's why I went with a truck :) 

You're correct too that Apple (I think) figured it out and that's why they are so successful. 

SNIP

Someone that gets it

gives cookie

The only and I mean ONLY Apple,products I like are the iPads. The college I go to is all about apple. We also get pretty big discounts like,I can get a iPad mini 2 $300 for $260

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)