Homeland Security: hobbyist-sized drones are the latest terrorism threats

jos

Department of Homeland Security has sent an intelligence assessment to police agencies across the country about drones being used as weapons in an attack.

The bulletin went out Friday and warned that unmanned aircraft systems or drones could be used in the U.S. to advance terrorist and criminal activities. Law enforcement sources say, "emerging adversary use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems present detection and disruption challenges."

According to federal officials, "The rising trend in UAS incidents within the National Airspace System will continue, as UAS gain wider appeal with recreational users and commercial applications."

I am sure next it will be illegal to use drones. Except for comercial purposes by US corporates,

Sources: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeland-security-warns-drones-could-be-used-in-attacks/

I mean, drones and quads are cool. But its very fucking valid, and your ignorant to think otherwise.

People are already using drones to drop off supplies into prisions. People demonstrated they can drop bombs.

I still want one though. I go wakeboarding and it would give some bad ass shots

I mean, drones and quads are cool. But its very fucking valid, and your ignorant to think otherwise.

People are already using drones to drop off supplies into prisions. People demonstrated they can drop bombs.

I still want one though. I go wakeboarding and it would give some bad ass shots

Drone is a tool

no drones

they find other tools

wow, they'll just keep throwing that word around until it loses all meaning. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Drone is a tool

no drones

they find other tools

...um mate, its a hella useful tool for said examples. For the prison example, used to be someone had to throw a package over the fence. So they made bigger fences. Problem solved. Now how the hell do you stop drones? Hella easy to get a gun into a prison. And there's no way that can lead to issues..

And sensationalistic title much? A simple look out that quads MAY be used for attacks or threats doesn't mean much. It's simply saying they are new tools that may be a threat

Not that little johny with a rc quad I's a terrorist

Never did they say it would be illegal.

Just ltt getting all defensive over assumed issues.  It's starting to happen all the time.  

Like everything in life, someone does something stupid with a device, then that device gets attention. If enough people do stupid things with said device then said device becomes regulated. Level of regulation is determined by the level of threat,  stupidity not withstanding.

Nothing new here.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is stupid. As if drones haven't been around for long enough. I don't think a terrorist would spend £1000/£2000+ on a drone just to blow it up. Also not forgetting that these things can't carry massive loads anyway. Lets also not forget built-up areas filled with 2.4GHz interference making the drone almost impossible to control anyway.

Organisations should do their research before drawing to assumptions. Yes, this is possible, not not anywhere near 'worth it' in my opinion.

Besides the countries that terrorists could most likely originate from (Iraq for example) probably don't even sell drones yet (or ever actually) Sounds slightly racist and I don't like it

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Leave it to idiots and irresponsible people to ruin it for everyone else.

If you're a drone hobbyist, please. Fly responsibly.

What the drone industry needs to do is at least the hobby companies should begin to find a new name for their "drones" as "drones" are becoming an entirely different thing. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

What the drone industry needs to do is at least the hobby companies should begin to find a new name for their "drones" as "drones" are becoming an entirely different thing. 

Unfortunately the name drone (or any product name for that matter) isn't a legal term,  manufacturers could call it what ever they want, but as soon as someone uses one they are at the mercy of who ever takes issue with it, be it law enforcement, some civilian who thinks they are being perved on illegally or firefighters who can't access a fire.

I.E you could officially call it a hobby toy plastic pretend UFO toy thing, but the police, the courts, the NSA, or anyone else who takes issue with it's use will call it an unauthorized (enter violating device here) and that's the end of it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is stupid. As if drones haven't been around for long enough. I don't think a terrorist would spend £1000/£2000+ on a drone just to blow it up. Also not forgetting that these things can't carry massive loads anyway. Lets also not forget built-up areas filled with 2.4GHz interference making the drone almost impossible to control anyway.

Organisations should do their research before drawing to assumptions. Yes, this is possible, not not anywhere near 'worth it' in my opinion.

Besides the countries that terrorists could most likely originate from (Iraq for example) probably don't even sell drones yet (or ever actually) Sounds slightly racist and I don't like it

I think they will be concerned about crashing it with passanger planes near airports. I dont think they have problem with money. May be they will just loot it.. Once i had gone for a trip to Dubai.. They sell drones at very low cost. I think GCC nationals can travel easily across...For an attack to occur in US, it will be easier for them to get it in US

If RC drones are really that much of as threat, why not just make 'police drones' to combat them? It's not like it takes that much to disable an RC drone if you really needed to.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

This is the exact same reasonning process than for 3D printing and weapons.

There are so many circulating weapons in the US that are cheaper than weaponized drones or 3D guns ...

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Apparently, it's against domestic policies due to endangering the public which I can see. However, we need laws to educate not to rob them instead. Anyhow, I see it on my local community college is even offering law enforcement remote aircraft school since 2013. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I think we should just all give up our freedom and live in solid metal rooms in solitary confinement 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey i got an idea, lets put everybody in a prison & everything will be safe & organized!

Well if you think about it, nothing would really change... Just people would live in a smaller place. The whole point of a prison is to isolate some people from the rest of society, so putting EVERYONE in prison defeats the purpose really.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Back in my day they were called RC devices (radio controlled) and came in the form of helicopters, airplanes and cars/trucks.

Well if you think about it, nothing would really change... Just people would live in a smaller place. The whole point of a prison is to isolate some people from the rest of society, so putting EVERYONE in prison defeats the purpose really.

everyone in solitary

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Terrorists are often though not always in heavily funded organisations and many would spend any money to advance the cause...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

...um mate, its a hella useful tool for said examples. For the prison example, used to be someone had to throw a package over the fence. So they made bigger fences. Problem solved. Now how the hell do you stop drones? Hella easy to get a gun into a prison. And there's no way that can lead to issues..

And sensationalistic title much? A simple look out that quads MAY be used for attacks or threats doesn't mean much. It's simply saying they are new tools that may be a threat

Not that little johny with a rc quad I's a terrorist

an RC helicopter can do that also and we had them for a while and nobody cared