Toshiba Robot to Enter Fukushima Nuclear Reactor

jos

Toshiba and the International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning unveiled a new scorpion-shaped robot that will be sent inside a containment vessel at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in August. According to Toshiba, the robot can sustain up to 10 hours of work in an area with radiation levels of 100 sieverts per hour. “It can curve its back part upwards like a scorpion and shed light on its surroundings,” the company said.

The robot will be dispatched to confirm the level of damage inside the nuclear containment vessel at Fukushima Daiichi’s No. 2 reactor and locate fallen objects. The work is required to be finished before a complete study of the nuclear containment vessel, which will begin sometime after April 2016

The 10 hr battery level is quite impressive.
robot-100594075-medium.idge.jpg

The 10 hr battery level is quite impressive.

I've had one Toshiba laptop before, the battery was tiny, yet the battery life was absolutely fantastic. So +1

"Rawr XD"

Doubtful that it's running off batteries, that cable out the back probably carries power.

They most likely mean it has a 10hr lifespan in the 100 sievert radiation area because after that time onboard mechanisms might begin to fail for one reason or another. Radiation can affect a lot more than just biological functions.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Doubtful that it's running off batteries, that cable out the back probably carries power.

They most likely mean it has a 10hr lifespan in the 100 sievert radiation area because after that time onboard mechanisms might begin to fail for one reason or another. Radiation can affect a lot more than just biological functions.

Yet certain types of mushroom loves radioactive environment ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Yet certain types of mushroom loves radioactive environment ...

Doubtful though that particular radiation around the reactor core would be very, encouraging for mushrooms. I've no doubt that there are organics, here on earth, or elsewhere in the universe that live off of some form of radiation or thrive in it, hell plants technically do already to a degree, but there are still forms of radiation that are inhospitable to life here on earth.

Never made the assertion that all life forms die in radiation, but the vast majority do, especially in those high levels of beta and alpha radiation particles. :3

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Wait, didn't this reactor blow up like a couple years ago? Does it really take that long to clean it up?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Toshilla!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Doubtful though that particular radiation around the reactor core would be very, encouraging for mushrooms. I've no doubt that there are organics, here on earth, or elsewhere in the universe that live off of some form of radiation or thrive in it, hell plants technically do already to a degree, but there are still forms of radiation that are inhospitable to life here on earth.

Never made the assertion that all life forms die in radiation, but the vast majority do, especially in those high levels of beta and alpha radiation particles. :3

It's weird right ? The mushrooms I mentioned has a lot of Melatonin in their cells , and they can grow huge in those places due to lack of competition for food ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Wait, didn't this reactor blow up like a couple years ago? Does it really take that long to clean it up?

Yep, even with all today' fancy tech, it still takes way too long, cost too much and is too dangerous to have anyone in there long enough to see it done right.

Chernobyl is still a clean up process

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Chernobyl happened 1986, and they are still working on a brand new containment building to slide over the top, its still deadly inside and will be for a long time

The "elephants foot" inside (a mass of molten radioactive material and rock) is like 10000 roentgens and can deliver a lethal dose in minutes!! I think its less radioactive now but still extremely bad

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We're talking about radioactive materials here, it will still be radioactive after thousands of years. Chernobyl is the best example of this, they are still working on it after the explosion in 1986.

I remember something about how nuclear powerplants are so safe that only 1 would ever fail in a thousand years in the absolute worst case scenario, we've had 2 that are barely 30 years apart now. I'm glad the rest of the world is seeing this as well and are trying to step away from nuclear energy as a whole.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

We're talking about radioactive materials here, it will still be radioactive after thousands of years. Chernobyl is the best example of this, they are still working on it after the explosion in 1986.

I remember something about how nuclear powerplants are so safe that only 1 would ever fail in a thousand years in the absolute worst case scenario, we've had 2 that are barely 30 years apart now. I'm glad the rest of the world is seeing this as well and are trying to step away from nuclear energy as a whole.

I disagree about the stepping away bit. I feel it's the only practical way to reduce emissions from energy generation. The alternatives either lack efficiency(solar) or cause excessive complaints(wind). The only exemption is geothermal i find.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

AFAIK the already have remote controlled units for this kind of work, the radiation kills the pixels in the cameras, and a battery would be dangerous to put into an environment like that IMO.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

It's a great device however it has one small flaw.

The decontamination process it will require after every shift will take longer than the battery on the device lasts. 24hr decontamination for a 10hr shift.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ok....preeeetty sure this is how we'll get Mechagodzilla though

I think you mean

falloutNV-2012-08-16-22-43-30-56.jpg

And this is pretty cool. Wish they would do a live feed of the work its doing inside the reactor. Something oddly fascinating about damaged nuclear reactors (chernobyl is scary, but also awesome as hell)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hahaha yeah 10 hours, just like my old laptop hahaha good joke Toshiba. I still hate you.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

It's a great device however it has one small flaw.

The decontamination process it will require after every shift will take longer than the battery on the device lasts. 24hr decontamination for a 10hr shift.

It doesn't have a 10 hour battery. It's powered by a cable. It can sustain 10 hours in the radioactive conditions it will be entering into inside the plant. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Sadly the current projection is 30 - 40 years to clean up the reactors to start decommissioning, (will require new technology to be invented) but for full decommission (full clean up, no rectors / building or stored waste on the site save ground radiation) you looking at 200 + years... 

Compare that to Chernobyl, the site will not be able to be fully decommissioned for another  20,000 years... 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590