Cyanogen CEO wants you to “calm the f*** down” regarding delayed OnePlus One Lollipop update

Android-Lollipop-notifications-AA.jpg

Someone needs to teach this shining example of a CEO that you really need to shut your mouth on making any sort of concrete promise to your customers. So never utter a single syllable that so much as lets anyone figure out a date of when your product is supposed to arrive. 

Don't give a date before you are actually done and can. Don't make such promises. Especially when you've already caught flack before for being a bit of a dunce and not understanding how to handle PR. 

If someone makes that date for you, dispel those rumours ASAP. Don't let them sit around, otherwise customers are gonna think they are real. 

But most importantly, don't snap at people over twitter. You're the CEO of a company. Grow up. This isn't how you get taken seriously by anyone. Childish fits are best left in the comment sections of forums or heckling comedians who you think you're funnier than; but not when you're trying to run a company. 

OnePlus made some lofty promises for those who opted to buy their phone: Lollipop would be here by March 27th for those wanting OxygenOS, and March 31st for those who wanted CyanogenMod 12S. Looking at today’s calendar shows that it’s April 1st and neither updates are out, meaning they weren’t able to meet those goals.

So when are they coming? We still don’t know. The hold up isn’t that the firmware isn’t ready to go — OnePlus says things are mighty stable right now — but they have to wait for lengthy certification processes to be completed before they can get the green light, and it’s something they didn’t foresee taking such a long time.

And you think they’ve had a hard time dealing with the backlash due to the missed promise? Cyanogen has it even worse: they’re being bashed for the delay even when they weren’t the ones who promised it. CEO Kirt McMaster even went as far as using his brash tone to get the point across:

guys… calm the f down… it’s coming soon… when ready!

— Kirt McMaster (@cyanogenone) 

While we might have preferred something a bit more politically correct, it’s true: Cyanogen has always gone by the “it’s ready when it’s ready” mantra, and they probably don’t deserve the flood of hate rushing their way.

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/01/oneplus-one-lollipop-delay-2/

What a brilliant response haha

im not even mad, sometimes you just have to say it how it is

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So cyanogen going to take control of android from google? yeah... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Nobody can tell me when the fuck to calm the fuck down. I'm super irritated OnePlus still haven't pushed out Lollipop for the One.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm actually happy with this. The last thing I would want is a subpar OS, and while it's getting certified by GApps, I'm sure the OnePlus team is working for all the beneath the hood tweaks. I don't mind waiting provided what I'm getting is battletested.

On one hand, WHERE'S MY LOLLIPOP UPDATE?

One the other, I can wait in hopes that all this extra time was taken to fix all/most/some of Lollipop's problems.

A thought: They actually promised Lollipop by February 3rd (within 90 days of its release) and said mid-January that it was "85%" done. So certification takes three months?

I-dont-believe-you.gif

(or maybe it does when you say you want to kill the company that certifies your product for mass release ;))

Another thought: I can't wait for Oxygen OS to launch, so I can get away from Cyanogen and its extremely rude, uncaring and inconsiderate CEO.

I disagree with McMaster that Android should be taken from Google. I love Google's services and won't ever be able to switch from them... and I'm fine with that. So I will not support Cyanogen in this (slightly insane) endeavor.

This Lollipop debacle still doesn't diminish my undying love for the OPO, though. <3 I might even buy the OnePlus Two if there's a trade-in program or a discount to OPO owners or something. If Project Ara isn't out by then, that is. (it probably won't be)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I didn't care in the first place, but okay, I'll try to calm down even further.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

/care

That aside he has to take some courses on communication :)

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Sold OnePlus anyway, good idea it seems.

Can somebody be genuine and tell me: Is Cyanogenmod even good? I've heard mixed things.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

People call that "snap at people"? All he said was:

guys… calm the f down… it’s coming soon… when ready!

I don't think you need to be overly nice, well mannered and serious just because you are a CEO. I mean, I hated Balmer for how he managed Microsoft, but I loved him because he had a very relaxed and non-serious attitude.

Just listen to the first minute of this video. How can you not love this guy? I would have hated him so much more if he tried to be super serious all the time.

It's a shame that OnePlus missed their deadline. They did however say that if they didn't meet their deadline they would give away free phones to people who commented on the announcement. I wish more companies would do that. Saying something, missing the deadline and giving away free products to the community because of it is a much better thing than just staying quiet about it until it's all of a sudden released in my opinion.

Can somebody be genuine and tell me: Is Cyanogenmod even good? I've heard mixed things.

I am using it on my tablet and really like the ROM. I dislike the company behind it though. Ever since they became a company they have gone downhill. They are not that open with what they do anymore, they are signing contracts left and right even though they are conflicting and so on.

im currently on their custom rom and i love it

-snip-

The problem is not about being "overly nice" (what does that even mean?), but it is about professionalism in the related context of work. Telling your own audience to "calm the f down" after failing to reach the deadlines you have set is not professional. The message sent would be saying that the concerns from the people who want to use/consume your items are insignificant. You would also be telling them that they should not trust you when it comes to deadlines, something Rockstar is VERY GUILTY of in respect to the GTA V PC port. 

He could have simply said "Sorry for the delays; We will provide updates on the status of the product". What he said on Twitter... that is just stirring the hornet's nest in the Android community. There is a reason why people working in business scantly give such a response. 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

The problem is not about being "overly nice" (what does that even mean?), but it is about professionalism in the related context of work. Telling your own audience to "calm the f down" after failing to reach the deadlines you have set is not professional. The message sent would be saying that the concerns from the people who want to use/consume your items are insignificant. You would also be telling them that they should not trust you when it comes to deadlines, something Rockstar is VERY GUILTY of in respect to the GTA V PC port. 

He could have simply said "Sorry for the delays; We will provide updates on the status of the product". What he said on Twitter... that is just stirring the hornet's nest in the Android community. There is a reason why people working in business scantly give such a response. 

Yea, I don't think some people here understand what professionalism means. It doesn't mean being nice. It means being professional. 

I know CEOs who are absolutely, 100% dicks towards their partners, employees and competitors. But they are professional. They don't need to utter the word "fuck". They don't need to act like petulant kids. You know professionalism when you see it. 

You're right, all he needed to say was the same typical, PR approved response. That is being professional and protecting your companies interests and NOT GIVNIG YOURSELF BAD PR. 

The only people who think bad PR is still worthy PR are idiots who don't know how damaging bad PR can be. Companies like to avoid that. Its also why you always get canned, even headed responses. No CEO is in the business of giving off the cuff remarks to the public about their products. 

What a brilliant response haha

im not even mad, sometimes you just have to say it how it is

Those are certainly famous last words for companies posting on the internet though. I mean I can get the sentiment behind it, but at the same time if I was working, investing or in anyway involved with a company that would publicly say "Calm the fuck down!" for whatever reason, I'd be worried.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Depends on what you want to use it for, it does give some out of the box performance tweaks and some handy short cuts that are really useful. But mostly its just a clean rom. To me nothing really stood out to me over using vanilla android.

But this is coming from someone with a nexus 4 where there are lots of clean roms and not a lot of bloated ones. Now if you have a GS5 or something, or a HTC something, and want to get rid of the bloat, cyanogen is pretty good for that option.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

People call that "snap at people"? All he said was:

I don't think you need to be overly nice, well mannered and serious just because you are a CEO. I mean, I hated Balmer for how he managed Microsoft, but I loved him because he had a very relaxed and non-serious attitude.

Just listen to the first minute of this video. How can you not love this guy? I would have hated him so much more if he tried to be super serious all the time.

It's a shame that OnePlus missed their deadline. They did however say that if they didn't meet their deadline they would give away free phones to people who commented on the announcement. I wish more companies would do that. Saying something, missing the deadline and giving away free products to the community because of it is a much better thing than just staying quiet about it until it's all of a sudden released in my opinion.

I am using it on my tablet and really like the ROM. I dislike the company behind it though. Ever since they became a company they have gone downhill. They are not that open with what they do anymore, they are signing contracts left and right even though they are conflicting and so on.

Fuck that speech there's only one Balmer speech that matters:

-------

Current Rig

-------

Those are certainly famous last words for companies posting on the internet though. I mean I can get the sentiment behind it, but at the same time if I was working, investing or in anyway involved with a company that would publicly say "Calm the fuck down!" for whatever reason, I'd be worried.

Hmm maybe, I think people find it refreshing

I see it BOTH ways, its a stupid thing to say, but sometimes being 100% honest earns you some respect

Like if a company messed up, a tweet from the ceo saying "we done fucked up" would be quite funny

instead of "due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel" - a typical PR bullshit approach that everybody sees through

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The only people who think bad PR is still worthy PR are idiots who don't know how damaging bad PR can be. Companies like to avoid that. Its also why you always get canned, even headed responses. No CEO is in the business of giving off the cuff remarks to the public about their products. 

God i hate people who say "there is no such thing as bad press", now days. In the age of the internet one false step will wreck you. And its not something people forget either, because someone will dig up whatever you did every time you say something else.

Dont lie to the public, dont bullshit the public, and dont try and cover up. Eventually it will all come out, and there is no way it will be good for you. Hire a PR firm, make an announcement, take your lumps and say "We are sorry, we will do better" and then do better.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

So people are unhappy because CyanogenMod decided NOT to push a buggy update out?

I don't understand it ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I see it BOTH ways, its a stupid thing to say, but sometimes being 100% honest earns you some respect

Like if a company messed up, a tweet from the ceo saying "we done fucked up" would be quite funny

instead of "due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel" - a typical PR bullshit approach that everybody sees through

Self deprecation is quite acceptable and funny. Going on the offensive is not really and a lot more of a risk, even if it is vs a very obvious troll.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Self deprecation is quite acceptable and funny. Going on the offensive is not really and a lot more of a risk, even if it is vs a very obvious troll.

True, I dunno I guess it was an attempt at being openly funny, instead of an "attack" but it COULD be easily seen that way

I think its the tone that changes it a lot "We done fucked up" is a lot different than "Hey stop asking for the fucking thing we promised you, and havent explained why it hasnt come out yet."

Also you can say "typical pr bullshit" and at least be honest about it. Thats the thing, if you say "Hey we screwed up, its not coming out this week, were sorry. Heres why: XXXX" and then you follow through, you get a good reputation. It shows you take responsibility and are trying to fix the problem and being honest about it. But you can also say "Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel" and never follow up with "im sorry" or "you can expect it out: X" or "The reason why is: X". This just pisses me off because its like youre trying to fob off responsibility and pray no one calls you on it.

My big issue with delays isnt normally that it WAS delayed, its that they arent transparent on why it happened, and what they are doing to fix the problem. Happens all the time in the tech world and we are used to delays. Just tell us you are working to fix it, and move on.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones: