Cyanogen CEO wants you to “calm the f*** down” regarding delayed OnePlus One Lollipop update

True, I dunno I guess it was an attempt at being openly funny, instead of an "attack" but it COULD be easily seen that way

Yep. I mean like I said I totally get it and if it was between you, me, LTT and cyanogen it would be totally ok. But we're talking about a world of SJW and overly sensitive people out there, one of them is bound to start a petition damning them for attacking their consumers and such, people just love the drama and can even profit from it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

SNIP

Very true, but his tone was quite neutral, it was neither "we done fucked up" or "fuck off dickheads" 

It was more like "chill your tits guys" - quite a neutral tone, neither passive, defensive or attacking

But that is only how I read it, definitely a questionable thing to write, but im not sure it should be judged too harshly

SNIP

The thing is, this was not a press release, it was a twitter thread - essentially a (somewhat public) message to specific people

I think that is one MAJOR problem with twitter

Imagine if I was CEO of a company, and was friends with say Linus, and I tweeted him going "get your hands off our products"  - as a joke

The media would have a SHITSTORM -  even though it was a private joke - albeit posted on a public site

(am I making ANY sense, Im struggling to explain my point)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hmm maybe, I think people find it refreshing

I see it BOTH ways, its a stupid thing to say, but sometimes being 100% honest earns you some respect

Like if a company messed up, a tweet from the ceo saying "we done fucked up" would be quite funny

instead of "due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel" - a typical PR bullshit approach that everybody sees through

You put it a lot better than I did.

What I meant was that I much rather see some more casual and relaxed statement than your typical bullshit statement. I think copy/pasting a stock response is the same as saying "we don't care". At least OnePlus are giving away free phones even though it was Cyanogen that messed up (didn't pass Google's certification and seems like they weren't exactly open about it)

Not sure if anyone even read the Twitter conversation the CEO was responding to but it seems like people are trying to make up a story that isn't really there.

The original comment isn't there anymore but it seems like it was taken out of context. A few people were arguing about the Lollipop update, the CEO comes in telling them to calm down... Then people try to make it seem like the CEO is telling everyone who asks about the lollipop update to calm down. He was talking specifically to two guys who were arguing with each other.

This is a CEO telling 2-3 people to calm down and not fight over their product, not a CEO telling all of his customers to shut up about a missed deadline.

The original comment isn't there anymore but it seems like it was taken out of context. A few people were arguing about the Lollipop update, the CEO comes in telling them to calm down...

Agreed see my post above that I just made abuot this too

it was a message to certain people, who probably saw it as a joke, it was not a public statement telling everyone to fuck off

like if Dell made a joke about Linus breaking their laptops and tweeted "Linus is banned from dell" or someting as a joke - I bet the world would explode, even though it was a private joke

I dont think tweets should be considered a ceos official stance on anything

BUT equally, somebody in that position IS accountable for.. so I dunno, on the fence

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Very true, but his tone was quite neutral, it was neither "we done fucked up" or "fuck off dickheads"

It was more like "chill your tits guys" - quite a neutral tone, neither passive, defensive or attacking

But that is only how I read it, definitely a questionable thing to write, but im not sure it should be judged too harshly

I honestly do not see this as neutral.

As I said earlier, when you tell people to calm down with the rightful complaints, of failing to meet your own deadlines, you are sending an implicit message of "bugger off; we will release it when we want to, stop complaining, dammit!".

When you set a deadline, it should be set in stone. Otherwise, you need to keep your audience in the loop about what you are doing. Cyanogen has failed to do either task, and they are simply disregarding their own userbase? Does that not seem a little silly?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Ha funnily enough i just got this email from CAH:

Dear valued Cards Against Humanity customer, 

We fucked up. 

Your order is on its way, but we had a warehousing issue. If you ordered a 2014 Holiday Pack, you'll receive a Science Pack. If you ordered a Science Pack, you'll receive a 2014 Holiday Pack. Oops!

We're really sorry about this, but we're going to make it right and send you what you actually ordered within the next week. Feel free to keep the extra pack, or gift it to a crappy friend. We understand if you've completely lost all faith in us.

Sorry again,

- Jenn and the Cards Against Humanity team

See, acknowledge the problem, say you're sorry, say how you'll make up for it. That's good PR.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I don't give two craps about Lollipop....maybe it's just me.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I honestly do not see this as neutral.

As I said earlier, when you tell people to calm down with the rightful complaints, of failing to meet your own deadlines, you are sending an implicit message of "bugger off; we will release it when we want to, stop complaining, dammit!".

When you set a deadline, it should be set in stone. Otherwise, you need to keep your audience in the loop about what you are doing. Cyanogen has failed to do either task, and they are simply disregarding their own userbase? Does that not seem a little silly?

But he wasn't saying calm down to the customers who are complaining. The article in the OP certainly makes it seem that way, but that's not what happened.

His quote was taken out of context. He told 2-3 people (at least one of which were defending them) to calm down and stop fighting.

This wasn't just someone asking for the update and the CEO told him off. It was 2 (or maybe more) people arguing against each other and he told them (specifically those people) to calm down.

If it was just an announcement/statement and not a response then you would have had a point, but it wasn't.

Shoulda played it safe like Oneplus. Give vague progress updates, otherwise static.

So people are unhappy because CyanogenMod decided NOT to push a buggy update out?

I don't understand it ...

No, we're unhappy because they promised it would be out on a certain date (twice, February 3rd and March 31st) and missed that deadline (TWICE).

What I imagine McMaster was thinking before the tweet:

post-30154-do-I-get-bonus-points-if-I-ac

Then, instead of acting like he cared, he basically thought to himself "LOLNOPE" and told us professionalism doesn't matter and that we shouldn't care that our update is taking longer than freaking Samsung's.

They should just take the OnePlus approach: Give out free stuff and give daily or even weekly status updates and most importantly: NO ETAS.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I just fell in love.....I love that man!

What a response!

Yep. I mean like I said I totally get it and if it was between you, me, LTT and cyanogen it would be totally ok. But we're talking about a world of SJW and overly sensitive people out there, one of them is bound to start a petition damning them for attacking their consumers and such, people just love the drama and can even profit from it.

This is probably a stupid plan by him, but I still love the honesty.

I have a general principle where I don't get angry over delays, because I honestly don't want rushed out products anymore. KOTOR 2 taught me that lesson.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

-snip-

Please fill me in on the details, because the situation, with the way you are describing it, is not making any sense.

First, if it was just two or so people arguing, what was the point in him responding? Even if he was explicitly mentioned, he could have let it pass and disengage from the argument. Did he start the argument, or did he make an earlier response that triggered the argument?

Second, he said that "it will be ready"; what is he referring to that will be ready? Google has made the general release of Android Lollipop, and unless I am missing something, it would now be under the full obligation of Cyanogen to create a CM version of it.

It may have been a group discussion, but it can very easily be misinterpreted and misdirected to any Cyanogen fans reading it. People have to be very careful with the context of their delivered message, especially on Twitter. So he is still at fault here.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Please fill me in on the details, because the situation, with the way you are describing it, is not making any sense.

First, if it was just two or so people arguing, what was the point in him responding? Even if he was explicitly mentioned, he could have let it pass and disengage from the argument. Did he start the argument, or did he make an earlier response that triggered the argument?

Second, he said that "it will be ready"; what is he referring to that will be ready? Google has made the general release of Android Lollipop, and unless I am missing something, it would now be under the full obligation of Cyanogen to create a CM version of it.

It may have been a group discussion, but it can very easily be misinterpreted and misdirected to any Cyanogen fans reading it. People have to be very careful with the context of their delivered message, especially on Twitter. So he is still at fault here.

Agreed, even if he was talking to two or three specific people - twitter is NOT a private forum for discussion. Everything - EVERYTHING - you tweet becomes public discourse.

As the CEO of a company, he acted irresponsibly. Some people might like that attitude that he had, but most assuredly, many people did not. I personally think he acted like a thoughtless, childish jackass who never thought his comments through.

Man up. Say you're sorry, say you'll do better. You can even do these things in a "hip" or "casual" method, like the above quoted Cards Against Humanity email. You can even use the word "fuck", if done correctly.

But he did not do it correctly. Had he said "We fucked up" instead of "Calm the f down", that would have been a totally different - and entirely acceptable - situation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i really dont think this guy did anything wrong. most people, including the younger generations mostly have friggin ZERO patience. Kids these days dont know the definition of "shit happends" Stuff gets delayed stuff going on in the backround. 

I dont care if this guy gave a "concrete" date or not. Learn to accept that life isn't one jolly joy ride and learn to deal with stuff going wrong. Humans are not perfect duh. so basically grow up lol. 

And my Note 3 is already on lollipop.

I think it makes perfect sense.

Well his message is deleted now but you can still see the messages the other people involved sent. No, the CEO does not appear to have started it. It started as soon as the deadline ran out. Tweets about the deadline being missed started popping up, someone started blaming Cyanogen, someone blamed OnePlus, someone defended Cyanogen etc. As you can clearly see in the text, the tweet was specifically aimed at 5 different twitter accounts that were involved.

Why did he get involved? I don't know, but I think it's nice of CEOs and other people high up in companies to respond to tweets and such.

Anyway, judging by the timeline and the messages that haven't been deleted, he did not start it.

The people involved didn't even take it that seriously. Here is one of the responses:

Mark Said Camilleri @Mark_SC_  ·  Apr 1

@cyanogenone @Paddietastic @CyanogenMod @cyngn @getpeid @oneplus Haha you're right, I am overreacting about this.

Yes he is referring to the stable CM12S version.

Well it will only be misinterpreted if someone takes it out of context, like in the article. That could happen with basically any statement though if someone wanted to show you in a bad light.

Bottom line: The message seemed to have been directed at a few specific people in order to break up a fight, and not even those people were offended. It was not some attack against everyone who were upset about the late update.

I prefer real people to PR robots.

Plus it's twitter. It's fine.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

-snip-

Sorry, I am still not following.

The matter of fact is, he is behind under his own development cycle, thus he is not in a position to make a directed response about the matter. As @dalekphalm has explained, Twitter is no place for conversations such as these, as anything you say is visible and addressed to everybody reading it. "External parties taking it out of context" is completely inapplicable, as the message ITSELF can be seen more than one way.

Sorry, I am still not following.

The matter of fact is, he is behind under his own development cycle, thus he is not in a position to make a directed response about the matter. As @dalekphalm has explained, Twitter is no place for conversations such as these, as anything you say is visible and addressed to everybody reading it. "External parties taking it out of context" is completely inapplicable, as the message ITSELF can be seen more than one way.

Which part do you not understand?

Sure the message can be seen in more than one way, but only when taken out of context. Basically any statement can be taken out of context and make you look bad so there is no way of avoiding it.

Lot of big talk from a company that can't even get Lollipop out the door in the promised time. Yet somehow they're going to overthrow Google and "Take back Android" lol

Morons.

Have a Snickers Cyanogenmod team, or maybe a Lollipop ;)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Lol people bitch when deadlines are met with a broken product, than people bitch when dead lines are cancelled to fix a broken product. Just no pleasing people these days.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

From how stable and functional Lollipop sounds I actually rather they take their time and fix it before making it work with CM.

Good job, Cyanogen, thank god I didn't bother with a Oneplus One and just went straight for a G3, Had lollipop for since the beginning of the year

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Which part do you not understand?

Sure the message can be seen in more than one way, but only when taken out of context. Basically any statement can be taken out of context and make you look bad so there is no way of avoiding it.

So I had some time to think this over, and I am simply lost with what you are trying to say.

You went back to the argument of context, despite the fact that I already told you it wasn't applicable. Let's get to semantics here for a minute; when you say of something being taken out of context, you are implying some sort of deliberate action from the claimant. This is not quite what is happening here, and overall irrelevant to the subject matter at hand. Another possible interpretation I see is that of relative observation, which is moot for a discussion as it is basically a statement of the absolute obvious.

You can be have open communication with your internet communities, but it still needs to be done under reasonable limits. Let me repeat once again that in Twitter, there is no such thing as a group chat or PM. You either communicate with everybody or nobody at all. When you are making a "personal" Tweet to somebody, the target recipient of the message is no longer just the person, but also the rest of the Internet. This is part of the reason that Phil Fish got the notoriety that he did.

For example, suppose I run an arbitrary business called "TurkeyDooDoo Solutions". If I send a Tweet to an arbitrary person named Steve with the likes of "please stay out of my personal matters", I will end up infuriating a good amount of people, as many would interpret it as corporate censorship, and this is ultimately very bad for my PR.

All in all, we are once again looking at this matter in completely different angles, leading to an evident impasse.