I heard you liked getting beats

Jaybird

It's no surprise that the audio groups completely disapproves of users buying/wearing/looking at beats but an article has been posted state just how ignorant people are to "good audio"

And while the headphones cost you the customer between $100 and $500 a pair, it costs Beats a mere $14 to make according to some experts. It may be in line with other types of tech, which have similarly high profit margins, but coupled with the marketing tactics employed, Beats by Dre had consumers over a barrel from the very beginning.

Source: http://pulseradio.net/articles/2015/03/how-beats-by-dre-played-you-like-a-fool

I'm on mobile, don't judge my weak sause post.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Beats suck.Deal with it

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Meh. Beats suck, they're fashion. That last part is something a lot of "nerds" don't understand. Beats are a cultural thing. A emotional purchase. Not a rational one. You get them because they are cool, not because they sound good (though ironically, the headphones that Monster themselves make get reviewed pretty highly) 

Who really cares? Only the audio subforums of the internet who have a permanent stick up their ass about these kinds of things, I guess.

Meh. Beats suck, they're fashion. That last part is something a lot of "nerds" don't understand. Beats are a cultural thing. A emotional purchase. Not a rational one. You get them because they are cool, not because they sound good (though ironically, the headphones that Monster themselves make get reviewed pretty highly) 

Who really cares? Only the audio subforums of the internet who have a permanent stick up their ass about these kinds of things, I guess.

ERMAHGERD PEOPLE ARE MAKING UNEDUCATED DECISIONS THAT ARE SOCIALY COMPLETLY ACCEPTABLE AND IN SOME SUBCULTURES A REQUIREMENT

Better whine about it on the internet...

IIRC It takes Samsung or Apple 200ish $ to make their highend phones. you will still buy it for 1k no matter, because its what you want. Same with beats, get the fuck over it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They're like $15-$20 to manufacture. Also, have you looked at the graphs on them. :LOL:

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

ERMAHGERD PEOPLE ARE MAKING UNEDUCATED DECISIONS THAT ARE SOCIALY COMPLETLY ACCEPTABLE AND IN SOME SUBCULTURES A REQUIREMENT

IIRC It takes Samsung or Apple 200ish $ to make their highend phones. you will still buy it for 1k no matter, because its what you want. Same with beats, get the fuck over it 

Can I get an amen?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

This is why you should buy Superlux, Koss in some use scenarios or JVC :D

EDIT: Intel could be compared to Beats too

I disagree. I'd be fine by me if people bought them as a fashion thing (I'd still don't understand it becaus I'm a nerd but okay). But some people buy them and think of them as having the best audio quality. That is what bugs be about Beats, not that they are bad or that they are overpriced, but the reputation of good audio that they have with a lot of non techies. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

MKBHD covered Beats, specifically their new headphones, very well in this video. Its actually unbiased.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

great article actually.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Are they the best headphones.. HA no...far far FAR from it, but they are not the WORST headphones. They do sound okay, just not for the price they charge, but somebody buying beats is not necessarily buying them purely for sound quality, the aesthetics (they are VERY good looking IMO), the cool factor and image, and fabolous packaging and unboxing, the premium nature and feel, are what interest people

Tech people, audiophiles especially, only concern themselves with "performance per dollar", which I understand but I dont always agree with, I would happily spend MORE on a product that looked nicer and is packaged better, thats just the truth for me. 

Call me sad but having cool people wearing them, does make them appeal to me. Not enough to make me run to the shop blindly, but seeing a big name using a product always has me interested (even though I know they are paid to.. strange how that works)

The thing is Beats HAVE done something interesting, gotten tons of people who were not interested in audio gear interested, sure maybe they get stung by some overpriced headphones, but hey they have taken their first step into the audio market

Like a first time gamer buying a "prebuilt gaming pc", maybe next time, they do some research and build their own - it can be seen as a positive thing

I also have to admire it from a business stand point, its amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I disagree. I'd be fine by me if people bought them as a fashion thing (I'd still don't understand it becaus I'm a nerd but okay). But some people buy them and think of them as having the best audio quality. That is what bugs be about Beats, not that they are bad or that they are overpriced, but the reputation of good audio that they have with a lot of non techies. 

Non techies usually don't go through a lot of headphones. Because beats are so popular, word of mouth spreads faster. So they hear about the "amazing bass" and such from their bud, and make the purchase. Beats has great marketing. They have stars and people of so form of influence to back it. So a lot of people jump on board. The people behind beats are very smart and no how to sell. Now with Apple, they have more money to do so. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

The thing with Samsung and Apple phones is that while they have really high profit margins (and yet not even close to the profit margins of Beats), they are still some of the best products in their category, and similarly priced products aren't better.

With Beats headphones they aren't the best at anything (other than some people think they look cool) and similarly priced products are far superior.

The sad thing is that because of marketing and word-of-mouth people are buying them and think they are good headphones. They might be a good fashion accessory, but they are bad headphones. I think it's best to tell people about the other options they got. If they insist that they only want the Beats for their logo and looks then fine, the Beats are their headphones. If they say that they want something that actually sounds good then I think it would be mean to not recommend them other headphones instead.

I am trying to find the bookmark right now, but someone analyzed the frequency curve of authentic beats vs the fake ones on DealExtreme, and the DealExtreme ones were slightly better in terms of sound quality.

Can I get an amen?

giphy.gif

Out of all the hobbyists in the world, I really don’t think audiophiles are in any position to mock people for wasting money on arguably worthless things.

Are they the best headphones.. HA no...far far FAR from it, but they are not the WORST headphones. They do sound okay, just not for the price they charge, but somebody buying beats is not necessarily buying them purely for sound quality, the aesthetics (they are VERY good looking IMO), the cool factor and image, and fabolous packaging and unboxing, the premium nature and feel, are what interest people

Tech people, audiophiles especially, only concern themselves with "performance per dollar", which I understand but I dont always agree with, I would happily spend MORE on a product that looked nicer and is packaged better, thats just the truth for me. 

Call me sad but having cool people wearing them, does make them appeal to me. Not enough to make me run to the shop blindly, but seeing a big name using a product always has me interested (even though I know they are paid to.. strange how that works)

The thing is Beats HAVE done something interesting, gotten tons of people who were not interested in audio gear interested, sure maybe they get stung by some overpriced headphones, but hey they have taken their first step into the audio market

Like a first time gamer buying a "prebuilt gaming pc", maybe next time, they do some research and build their own - it can be seen as a positive thing

I also have to admire it from a business stand point, its amazing

no, they dont sound good.  Maybe all 3 pieces i have tried in shop and from my friends was broken (,. no they were not)  but my Koss porta pro for 20€ are BEASTS compared to BEATS .  

They really sound awfull , of course i was listening to real music played on instruments and classical music. Maybe the 'trance' 'techno' 'insert new genre developed on acid' sounds good on it.  But as far as music goes , nope.  not good at all.  I am commenting only your first paragraph about "they do sound okay"  .

I thought this was common knowledge.

Out of all the hobbyists in the world, I really don’t think audiophiles are in any position to mock people for wasting money on arguably worthless things.

If you love music, you are an audiophile, if you think speaker cables are directional and give you a better sound if connected properly, you are an audiophool.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Audio Technica for life

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

no, they dont sound good.  Maybe all 3 pieces i have tried in shop and from my friends was broken (,. no they were not)  but my Koss porta pro for 20€ are BEASTS compared to BEATS .  

They really sound awfull , of course i was listening to real music played on instruments and classical music. Maybe the 'trance' 'techno' 'insert new genre developed on acid' sounds good on it.  But as far as music goes , nope.  not good at all.  I am commenting only your first paragraph about "they do sound okay"  .

yeah for classical and instrumental music it would be the furthest thing I could ever recommend, its very much resigned for hip hop, urban, electric, maybe rock to some degree, its very bass heavy

I have however heard WORSE headphones, (just not ones that cost as much) - I was just tying to make a point that they are not bought for their audio fidelity

the newer solo 2s get reviewed WAY more positively than the older models (like.. 3 stars for audio)

I honestly wish they can make them good, If they can improve beats to the point of being as good as the equivalent say, sony or sennhesier big name brand "audiophile" headphones in that price range, (or maybe beats would still carry a premium on top) - that would be great!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Non techies usually don't go through a lot of headphones. Because beats are so popular, word of mouth spreads faster. So they hear about the "amazing bass" and such from their bud, and make the purchase. Beats has great marketing. They have stars and people of so form of influence to back it. So a lot of people jump on board. The people behind beats are very smart and no how to sell. Now with Apple, they have more money to do so. 

and hence my general hatred towards the "unwashed masses". 

Most people are simply too lazy or too stupid to perform their due diligence and therefore suffer from ignorance when making decisions. It is not hard to do a simple fucking google search "BEATS AUDIO QUALITY". If you're spending a lot of money on a pair of headphones, you're either loaded and have nothing better to do with your money or you are genuinely seeking better-than-average sound quality. If you're going to spend a considerable sum of money on any product, why in the world would you buy it SOLELY BASED on the reputation via word of mouth alone? If there are no other factors to go on (say, the quality of a restaurant) then fair enough. But if you have specifications like frequency range, horsepower, MHz etc. then i'm sorry but what the hell. 

I understand better than anyone that what the human mind doesn't understand it fears and therefore construes every possible scenario it can think of to give the concept some mental substance, overwhelming the mind and causing disdain. Therefore it's just easier to go with what is shouted at you on billboards and on TV etc. instead of sating that lack of comprehension.

Go and ask a car dealer how many of their customers buy a car without test driving it. Apparently it's something like 40% in Australia. They see it, they sit in it, they buy it. It's as simple as that. No further consideration necessary. Not comfort, handling, sound, power, nothing. No, price and aesthetics are good enough for those people. 

It's fucking pathetic.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Got to try some Beats for the first time in the mall a couple of days ago...they were bad. Not the worst I've ever heard but I would guess their price to be around $50 not the $300 they sell them for. They were also very uncomfortable for something so expensive.

Couple of days later I got some Sennheiser momentum earbuds to add to my growing headphone collection which not only sound MUCH better but cost 1/3 the price of a pair of beats.

Got to try some Beats for the first time in the mall a couple of days ago...they were bad. Not the worst I've ever heard but I would guess their price to be around $50 not the $300 they sell them for. They were also very uncomfortable for something so expensive.

Couple of days later I got some Sennheiser momentum earbuds to add to my growing headphone collection which not only sound MUCH better but cost 1/3 the price of a pair of beats.

This actually isn't true. Momentums are the same price as beats for the on ear models and actually more expensive ($50 more) for the over ear models. Obviously the buds are cheaper than on ear beats. 

People buy these headphones because they want to - Keep that in mind, there are no magic tricks in marketing. We still have free will.

I see alot of people pointing their fingers saying that only a sucker would buy such a product with such high margins... well, you guys have probably done it yourselfs.

You pay obscene profit margins because people are willing to pay them. All the way from the fanboys right here in these forum that know the brand lyrics from A to Z, and spit them out the way they swallowed it, to the average unbiased guy who goes to the cinema and buys a bag of popcorn wich has 1000% margins. Yeah, those 3 or 4 Euros you pay for a small bag of popcorn, it's just corn... we give that shit to chickens because it's cheap... really it's as cheap as it gets.

I don't see anyone bitching about FMCGs like popcorn, coffee, yogurt, wich have way but way bigger margins then tech products that are made in "sweat shops" in the east, like those SLI bridges from ASUS that are sold for what, like 30 euros? Jesus... the Titan Z!

But no... the hate train of carebears as left the station. Haters that pay even higher margins then the people who bought these headphones, but somehow they have the sense of superiority, thinking they are way smarter because they know better... they know it's cheap phones... "I can now go to school/work and tell people I know this, and that I never felt for this scam, suckers... I just felt over other shit."

Don't get me started on the audio sub forum here. You can't ask a question with the same 3-4 people on there judging you from their high horse. God forbid you try to correct them on anything.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor