DirectX 12 will reportedly 'treat multiple GPUs as a single entity'

Rafy

We've written about Brad Wardell, the CEO of Stardock and his impressions of DX12, but he has said that using an "unreleased GPU" he was able to see a huge 100FPS difference between cards. He tweeted that he "did a test of DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 on an unreleased GPU with an 8core CPU. DX11: 13fps, DX12: 120fps. Lighting and lens effects".

When pressed, Wardell said he was using a Crossfire system, with an Intel Core i7 CPU. Since he's using an "unreleased GPU" we can gather he might be using the new Radeon R9 390X, which is another nice nugget of information, it means that they're out in the wild. Better yet, Wardell said that "one thing it does make it easy to treat multiple GPUs as a single identity"

Only a few days left Until GDC, then we'll know for sure.

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43628/directx-12-reportedly-treat-multiple-gpus-single-entity/index.html

This sounds like the "combined vram" thingy we heard about not long ago :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My unreleased pc with some 8 core cpu is pushing 100000fps

We have some numbers with unknown components. I dont like that.

I'd like to know what test he used. Because I'm almost sure it was specifically made to have the best possible scenario for dx12 and the worst possible scenario for dx11.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd like to know what test he used. Because I'm almost sure it was specifically made to have the best possible scenario for dx12 and the worst possible scenario for dx11.

Yep could be true

If I can use my 7950 and 480 together, that would honestly be fucking awesome. But I don't think it will happen, so...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

even so, Im extremely excited for multiple gpus being treated as single cards. My 79xx crossfire set up is full of issues, and really, lack of game support. it can push more frames then what the 3gb vram likes. so being able to get 6 gb of vram would be epic

How is it possible to get only 13FPS DX11 yet on DX12 you get 100FPS more? What kind of benchmark was that?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Please change the title from "WILL to "CAN"

Sure its possible as it is with mantle too but it must be programmed into the game, its not something which will happen automagically.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

How is it possible to get only 13FPS DX11 yet on DX12 you get 100FPS more? What kind of benchmark was that?

It's just AMD's DX11 is broken, performs horrible compared to Nvidia's

I think it has to do with draw calls, the only advantage which has been shown for DX12 is its higher draw call rate, so if you create a scenario where the number of calls would higher then the DX11 limit, you would see a big FPS increase. 

This means absolutly nothing right now. For all we know they could be talking about an APU.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Altecice, on 19 Feb 2015 - 3:31 PM, said:

One was actually marking on a bench with a marker, and the other was on a PC I guess.

Please change the title from "WILL to "CAN"

Sure its possible as it is with mantle too but it must be programmed into the game, its not something which will happen automagically.

"reportedly" is the key word and takes care of the issue you brought up ;)

Then SLI 970s with their 3.5GB VRAM issue will still be a viable option for 4K

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Only a few days left Until GDC, then we'll know for sure.

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43628/directx-12-reportedly-treat-multiple-gpus-single-entity/index.html

Unreleased gpus...... HMMMMMM.... r9 390x,,,,,, HMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,HMMMMMMMM........HMMMMMMMMMMM....

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

This means absolutly nothing right now. For all we know they could be talking about an APU.

a Core i7 APU?

Really?

You think that the intel HD graphics got 13fps in DX11 and 120fps in DX12.......

I highly doubt it.

Yes everyone should take this with a grain of salt, however based on what he said I'm fairly sure we can at least assume he's using some sort of discrete graphics.

Because if intel HD graphics got that much of a performance boost then fuck discrete graphics.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Does this mean 5 way SLI/crossfire that was rumored a while back will actually be not only possible, BUT USABLE?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

If I can use my 7950 and 480 together, that would honestly be fucking awesome. But I don't think it will happen, so...

psst, you can, sort of, you can use that 480 for physx. Not that it's very useful, but you can if you want.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

psst, you can, sort of, you can use that 480 for physx. Not that it's very useful, but you can if you want.

Not if you have fairly recent drivers. And PhysX is kinda pointless, IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not if you have fairly recent drivers. And PhysX is kinda pointless, IMO.

For the AMD card it doesn't matter afaik, and for the 480 just take the old drivers, newer ones cause BSOD, physx is indeed pointless so what does it even matter if the drivers are up to date.

But just sayin' if you want, you can :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Im sorry thats just complete bs.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

and im calling it all bullshit. tests mean nothing. give the card to me and i am 100% it wont be like what he describes. its all marketing bs like it always is.